2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted the secondary on July 14th... And just now realized I hadn't sent in my official MCAT scores yet. I feel stupid...
hey, you are not the only one. Also, a funny thing, RowanSOM says they have the MCAT right now, but the others Universities dont have the MCAT scores??? Did it happened to you as well??

hey, you are not the only one. Also, a funny thing, RowanSOM says they have the MCAT right now, but the others Universities dont have the MCAT scores??? Did it happened to you as well??

Thanks for the support! I'm not sure if RowanSOM had different timing. I submitted my MCAT scores on the 23rd, AACOMAS accepted it on the 24th, and schools (Rowan, a couple others) began confirming them today (27th). Some schools still haven't indicated completion, though.

Thanks for the support! I'm not sure if RowanSOM had different timing. I submitted my MCAT scores on the 23rd, AACOMAS accepted it on the 24th, and schools (Rowan, a couple others) began confirming them today (27th). Some schools still haven't indicated completion, though.
Yeah, it looks like it takes time for most Universities to update the scores. I have called several, and some have explained that the update once a week, and others even told me to send the scores directly to them.....this is not OK when you pay a bunch of hundreds for an application......

anyone know the cutoffs for MCAT and GPA? I am a NY resident if that has any impact

gahhh I just now noticed that the adversity essay is optional, I could have had this one in like 3 weeks ago :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
gahhh I just now noticed that the adversity essay is optional, I could have had this one in like 3 weeks ago :(
Having an extra essay just shows commitment to their school that you wanted to give them more. Always a positive spin to everything. I did the same thing, but it can only help, not hurt you

CA resident 3.67/3.62 506, some ties to NJ. Do you think I should still submit a secondary?
It's been 3 weeks because I heard about their trip-state bias and now I just want to maximize my chances of getting in.

CA resident 3.67/3.62 506, some ties to NJ. Do you think I should still submit a secondary?
It's been 3 weeks because I heard about their trip-state bias and now I just want to maximize my chances of getting in.
They are very bias towards NJ and Philly area, what's your state of residence?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from NY too and praying to God for an II :dead: 505 MCAT/3.71 cum/3.7 science. Nervous!

A friend of mine is filling out a secondary for Rowan and she's wondering if talking about her parent's mental health struggles would substantiate a response to the optional essay question? It was pretty serious and was something she had to overcome, but she (and I) are concerned this is more reserved to people who have overcome significant economic or social hardships, etc.

A friend of mine is filling out a secondary for Rowan and she's wondering if talking about her parent's mental health struggles would substantiate a response to the optional essay question? It was pretty serious and was something she had to overcome, but she (and I) are concerned this is more reserved to people who have overcome significant economic or social hardships, etc.

No, that's absolutely a challenge you can discuss. Mental health is something that's only growing in awareness, I did something similar with discussing my sisters mental illness as well.

For anyone wondering if they should apply because they're out of state..

When I interviewed, there were a significant amount of applicants from out of state. Some from NY, some from DE and one from Virginia. I think to assume you don't have a shot because you're not from the area is a little naive. Perhaps maybe the reason the school *appears* to have an in-state bias is because of the cost of tuition for those students out-of-state vs in-state. Think about it, would you rather travel half way across the country for schooling when you could get that same level of education and same credentials from a school in your state for half the cost? By this time in our education voyage, a lot of people settle for schools in-state to save a lot of money. I wouldn't necessarily assume the school has a bias towards in-state applicants, the odds are stacked against you no matter what state your from. Roughly 6000 students apply for only ~180 seats. Of all the factors considered in making their decision, I HIGHLY doubt that your current state of residence is anywhere near the top. My advice to those wondering if they should apply is to look into the school a little more, if it seems like it'd be a good fit for you then apply. What is honestly the worst thing that could happen? You have to go to medical school at another, equally as great institution? Oh no :p

So secondary app essays. How long did you guys make them? I feel like 750 is a lot.

So secondary app essays. How long did you guys make them? I feel like 750 is a lot.

I think one was like 300 and the other was 500.. if you feel you've gotten your point across leave it as is.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, guys! I am a first year at Rowan. Just so you guys know, we have students in our class that represent a number of states and countries including Washington, D.C. (me), Virginia, Delaware, California, Florida, Oklahoma, Canada, and The Republic of the Congo. If you are out of state and have a pretty competitive application I would apply. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will answer when I have time. Good luck to everyone!

- GarloDO

Reactions: 4 users
II just now!!!!! superrrrrrrrr limited selection of interview dates

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an II too!!!! Super excited. My state school!!!!
here is my stat if anyone interested. IS, MCAT: 503, 3.82s/cGPA.
I have met with Dean Watkins before and had a nice chat which I think may leave her some impression. Then I went to the open house, talked with her a little bit and email her after. So I think it does help for my chance.

Reactions: 2 users
Also received my II today! Here's my stats too if anyone's interested: IS, MCAT 506 cGPA 3.69/sGPA 3.7. I literally live like 15 mins from Rowan University so that probably impacted my odds in some form.

Reactions: 3 users
I really hope I hear from this school, it's at the top of my list!!

II for 8/31 (AM session). If anyone is interviewing that day let me know. We could meet up for coffee before hand! :)

To those who got interview invites, congrats. When did you get your app officially completed for review?

Last edited:
Does anyone know around what time they start sending out II? It's my first choice so waiting is killing me...
I was invited to interview today for 8/31 if that helps. NJ resident so idk how much that comes into play

Any Canadians get an II yet?

This is super unrelated to anything, but your profile picture...isn't she the sister of the kid who faked being black to get into Harvard Med...

This is super unrelated to anything, but your profile picture...isn't she the sister of the kid who faked being black to get into Harvard Med...
Lol yes, Mindy Kaling from The Mindy Project, where she plays a physician.

Reactions: 1 users