2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you learn about osteopathic medicine and why is it a good fit for you? (750 words)

Please describe any significant barriers or challenge you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional career? (750 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Submitted my app on June 1st! Good luck everyone!

Just got my secondary! @chizledfrmstone
Essays:
How did you learn about osteopathic medicine and why is it a good fit for you? (750 words)

Please describe any significant barriers or challenge you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional career? (750 words)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't this school have a really high IS preference?

Just got my secondary! @chizledfrmstone
Essays:

Can I ask what your stats are?

Just submitted the secondary. Now we wait!

Secondary received! OOS but from the New England Area

Secondary received and submitted. Tri-state area non-NJ resident.

Please identify your area of professional interest below (i.e. Family Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, etc.) (500 words)

Last edited:
Is anyone else having trouble paying for the secondary? Mine said there was a system error and couldn't process it :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received and submitted. Tri-state area non-NJ resident.

Please identify your area of professional interest below (i.e. Family Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, etc.) (500 words)
How come others didnt post the third question? did they miss it? or it doesnt exist?

So I noticed this prompt is optional: Please describe any significant barriers or challenge you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional career

Would you suggest leaving this blank if you haven't necessarily had "significant" barriers/challenges, just very minor ones? Any thoughts on this?

So I noticed this prompt is optional: Please describe any significant barriers or challenge you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional career

Would you suggest leaving this blank if you haven't necessarily had "significant" barriers/challenges, just very minor ones? Any thoughts on this?

Yeah you can leave it blank. That's usually a section for students to explain any mishaps in their grades, mcat, or personal barriers. It's just a way for adcoms to look at you comprehensively

Has anyone been affected by the new repeat course policy?

Also for those accepted what are you stats and EC's?

I'm curious if anyone wrote out a long response to "Please identify your area of professional interest below (Family Medicine, Surgery, etc)."

I'm curious if anyone wrote out a long response to "Please identify your area of professional interest below (Family Medicine, Surgery, etc)."

I kinda summarized the ideal type of community I would want to see myself working with and then discussed the areas of interest and why.

Just received an email to fill out the secondary!

Briefly listed the specialties I've been interested in, separated with a comma.

Secondary received and submitted! OOS with family ties to NJ

Does anyone know around what time they start sending out II? It's my first choice so waiting is killing me...

Does anyone know around what time they start sending out II? It's my first choice so waiting is killing me...

Are you from NJ or in the tri-state area? They might be bias towards NJ residents and other students in the tri-states...or theyll venture out to other students at a later date? not sure

I've already received a secondary on 6/19 from them but I'm from the tri-state area -- non-NJ.

Are you from NJ or in the tri-state area? They might be bias towards NJ residents and other students in the tri-states...or theyll venture out to other students at a later date? not sure

I've already received a secondary on 6/19 from them but I'm from the tri-state area -- non-NJ.

I'm NJ resident, I have received and sent out secondary. I'm just trying to find the timeline when they send out interview :D Coz it's my first choice so I'm place a lot of hope in them and because of that I'm also anxious.

I'm NJ resident, I have received and sent out secondary. I'm just trying to find the timeline when they send out interview :D Coz it's my first choice so I'm place a lot of hope in them and because of that I'm also anxious.

Oh hahaha...sorry misread. Congrats on submitting your secondary. Relax though. It's still June...goodluck. hopefully you get in

Ohh I misunderstood as well. Yeah, it's still early. Best of luck to you.

Received a secondary about 1 week after I was verified! NY resident! Anyone know if they screen applicants?

Just wondering: Did anyone not see the part where we had to rank our preference for PBL or Traditional? Seems like if we rank PBL over the other, we have to write two essays. I was wondering if anyone is filling this part out since no one seems to have mentioned that! What are your reasons for choosing PBL?

Thanks and best of luck everybody!

Received a secondary about 1 week after I was verified! NY resident! Anyone know if they screen applicants?

Just wondering: Did anyone not see the part where we had to rank our preference for PBL or Traditional? Seems like if we rank PBL over the other, we have to write two essays. I was wondering if anyone is filling this part out since no one seems to have mentioned that! What are your reasons for choosing PBL?

I went to their open house and they said they do not screen applicant. Every one who applies get the secondary.
Yes, if you choose PBL, you have to write essays, so even though I 'm interested in PBL, I do not want to write any more essay so I'm just rank the traditional favorable. If you still interest, you can apply to second year PBL, but there is no guarantee as you only get the seat if any one switch out.

I'm little hesitate as I'm not sure how the PBL would turn out, sure, I learn better with clinical examples, but that's when I already have the basic knowledge to do the deduction way like the PBL wants. I also heard a lot of negative things about PBL such as its heavily depends on your facilitator and your team mate to work hard to find the answer. So even though I'm interest, I want to wait a little bit more when I had more information from this.

just curious how in depth people went into for the two 750- word essays

I managed to get my point across for both but did not hit the word limit. That being said my explanations were not shorter than 500 words

I'm a FL resident and I submitted my secondary a few days ago. Is it uncommon for FL residents to get secondaries from Rowan?

I like the PBL concept because I learn better on my own (with slight help of course). I like the fact that with PBL, you can make your own schedule and study according to that. It is much more flexible but requires discipline.

I'm a FL resident and I submitted my secondary a few days ago. Is it uncommon for FL residents to get secondaries from Rowan?

Everyone gets a secondary from rowan.

"Please describe any significant barriers or challenges you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional goals."

Is it worth talking about overcoming test anxiety or should I leave this part blank? I used to get double time during my exams, and now don't use any accommodations and managed a 512 on the MCAT.

"Please describe any significant barriers or challenges you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional goals."

Is it worth talking about overcoming test anxiety or should I leave this part blank? I used to get double time during my exams, and now don't use any accommodations and managed a 512 on the MCAT.
I talked about the MCAT for that... I think they realize it's not an easy feat.

Last edited:
Anyone else's letters of rec being flagged as red instead of green? I have a committee letter and a physician letter and they received my packet but it shows up under my advisors name. Worried the system flagged it as one random individual letter.
I had the same issue. It just takes them some time to process it. Submitted secondary on 6/28 and status went green/complete on 7/19.

Submitted the secondary on July 14th... And just now realized I hadn't sent in my official MCAT scores yet. I feel stupid...

posting to get notifs. got secondary a few days after verification around July 10th. IS, and worked at a hospital affiliated with rowanSOM so hopefully that helps boost my chances. Hopefully these II's come soon