2017-2018 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m so sorry that this has happened to you @blm24 , I can’t imagine how you must be feeling right now. Keep your head up, if you’ve already been accepted elsewhere, then consider yourself lucky that this is one fewer choice you’ll have to make about your future! And if not, I can attest that having to wait another year doesn’t have to be the end of the world. I am actually happy I got to spend an extra year working and making money! Either way, it’s not fair that this has happened to you, but I am confident you will get there soon.

@chowder92 I hear where you’re coming from. This is 100% NOT OP’s fault and I am not suggesting that in the slightest. I think PCOM would unfortunately “defend” themselves by stating that they tell students to check the portal frequently and alert them of any missing/incorrect items. That being said, PCOM is still the responsible party. But if OP has even the slightest inclination of reapplying next year, I would think it’s best that he take the high road and not file a complaint with admissions, as it might hinder his chances for next year. It sucks because for any other circumstance I’m all for standing your ground and complaining about what is rightfully yours, but in the case of medical school admissions unfortunately this situation might be an exception to the rule. I would feel terrible if this happened to me. But I think, for me, this situation would just have to be another one of those terrible experiences I’d have to add to my list of Terrible Experiences of the Medical School Application Process list. Just my 2 cents!
Very true. I just don't think this should be a "oops oh well" situation. I feel angry for blm24. But sometimes these things happen and it's unfortunate.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hadn’t heard anything back since submitting my secondary and called today and was told that my letters of rec weren’t complete. Apparently they didn’t pick 2 science faculty from the letters I had in AACOMAS and only picked 1 so technically my app has been incomplete since that time. Kind of sucks considering interviews end in March and I actually had a pretty good shot at getting in otherwise. For those of you who haven’t heard anything back maybe check your portal cuz that might be the problem.
They don't pick the letters and you can check your portal anytime to see that you are not complete and tell them to update the letters. I had to do that and my letters were added after they received my application. I called them and they pulled the letters right away. It is really up to us to make sure we check everything.

They don't pick the letters and you can check your portal anytime to see that you are not complete and tell them to update the letters. I had to do that and my letters were added after they received my application. I called them and they pulled the letters right away. It is really up to us to make sure we check everything.
It actually showed that it was complete which is why I hadn’t called before now. Maybe it was a glitch in the system either way it’s too late now

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m so sorry that this has happened to you @blm24 , I can’t imagine how you must be feeling right now. Keep your head up, if you’ve already been accepted elsewhere, then consider yourself lucky that this is one fewer choice you’ll have to make about your future! And if not, I can attest that having to wait another year doesn’t have to be the end of the world. I am actually happy I got to spend an extra year working and making money! Either way, it’s not fair that this has happened to you, but I am confident you will get there soon.

@chowder92 I hear where you’re coming from. This is 100% NOT OP’s fault and I am not suggesting that in the slightest. I think PCOM would unfortunately “defend” themselves by stating that they tell students to check the portal frequently and alert them of any missing/incorrect items. That being said, PCOM is still the responsible party. But if OP has even the slightest inclination of reapplying next year, I would think it’s best that he take the high road and not file a complaint with admissions, as it might hinder his chances for next year. It sucks because for any other circumstance I’m all for standing your ground and complaining about what is rightfully yours, but in the case of medical school admissions unfortunately this situation might be an exception to the rule. I would feel terrible if this happened to me. But I think, for me, this situation would just have to be another one of those terrible experiences I’d have to add to my list of Terrible Experiences of the Medical School Application Process list. Just my 2 cents!

I don’t plan on filing a complaint. It’s just something unfortunate that happened. Just thought that if i shared my experience I could save someone else from going through the same thing. Thankfully I have had interviews at other schools so Im hoping that works out. Either way if it’s not meant to happen then it won’t

Reactions: 2 users
When do you think we will start getting financial aid information? Also do people already have access to mypcom or nucleus?

Hey guys just finished my Interview today and was wondering what my chances are as a philly resident since I know a higher percentage of them are accepted

Hey guys just finished my Interview today and was wondering what my chances are as a philly resident since I know a higher percentage of them are accepted
I'm sure it helps some as PCOM def has a reputation for regional bias. That said, I'm a Philly native and currently WL'd. Pulling for the both of us :thumbup:

anybody heard anything recently?
Nope. I had an interview about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard from them. Though they did say there were still spots to be accepted at that point. Been nervously checking the mail like everyday. I hope ADCOM meets soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope. I had an interview about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard from them. Though they did say there were still spots to be accepted at that point. Been nervously checking the mail like everyday. I hope ADCOM meets soon.

+1

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know if there is still a chance for an II?

@Meyabox They usually finish up interviews in March. You can always call admissions and inquire.

wow, have you followed up?
no, I heard they hate when you call about admissions decisions. I have a friend who interviewed in January and still hasn't heard anything, he tried to call and they just told him they couldn't tell her anything. Odd bc he applied all osteopathic and was accepted into 4 other schools, PCOM was his last school that he interviewed and top choice, and not waitlisted/rejected/DD or anything, since the first week of January.

PCOM admissions just seems super disorganized. I was accepted into their masters program as my back-up plan and they sent me a letter saying that it could take up to a month to process my payment for my seat and also get any updates because they're so backed up with stuff. So idk. Just playing the waiting game.

Its possible for those that haven't received a decision yet that they're waiting for a seat to open up for you. They might use their waitlist as a "soft" reject and wait to accept more students till an actual seat opens up. Other DO schools have a similar process

Its possible for those that haven't received a decision yet that they're waiting for a seat to open up for you. They might use their waitlist as a "soft" reject and wait to accept more students till an actual seat opens up. Other DO schools have a similar process

If that’s the case then why do they even send out waitlists instead of rejections? I️ know a few people from this application that didn’t hear back long after the 6 weeks and were delayed decision and then waitlisted.

If that’s the case then why do they even send out waitlists instead of rejections? I️ know a few people from this application that didn’t hear back long after the 6 weeks and were delayed decision and then waitlisted.
I'm not sure if this school sends out rejections post II but some schools don't reject anyone post interview and only outright accepts and waitlist. Maybe to protect themselves incase they realize they under accepted and they have a lot of students to pull from. I'm really not sure. I just know that at a another DO school I interviewed at, the director of admission specifically said they review their applicants every two weeks as a new deposit deadline passes and seats open up. The longer period of silence you go through post interview, the more highly they're considering to accept you and are just waiting for a seat to open up. I'm not saying this is what PCOM does, I'm just saying its possible. If you interviewed a while ago and still haven't heard anything while others who interviewed after you were already waitlisted, they may just be waiting for a spot to open up so that they can outright accept you.

@tammyp, yes the rejections were in early and late February.
Interesting. I would still think someone who hasn't gotten a decision yet is going to be considered for a seat more than someone that has already gotten a waitlist letter. Just speculating though

Interesting. I would still think someone who hasn't gotten a decision yet is going to be considered for a seat more than someone that has already gotten a waitlist letter. Just speculating though

You may be right. In my obsessive research of the past PCOM threads, PCOM likes to DD to waitlist or just WL post-II from Jan-March as opposed to handing out acceptances.

Getting to the point where I'm feeling suuuuuper discouraged about this application cycle. Last year was DD for 3 months then waitlisted til the end for PCOM, and this year is following the same pattern (DD 3 months and WL 2 so far).

How can you tell if you're DD (im assuming this means decision deferred)?

Yep, technically "Delayed Decision" is the wording they use, but it is the same thing. They sent a letter about 2 weeks after my interview that said something along the lines of them being unable to reach a decision at the time and that they have decided to delay a decision and put the application on hold for future review.

@snowflake was there a date on the letter about when you'd get a decision?
So last year when I received the delayed decision letter, it included a specific date (April 26th I believe), that they said would be when I would hear back by. Right around that date is when I received the WL letter. This year is different though, and there weren't any dates on either letter. Also last year I had to sign and return something confirming that I wanted to be placed on WL, and this year I haven't received anything like that.

@snowflake16 yeah I'm on WL and didn't need to send anything back was just automatically placed on it in a snail mail letter.

Geez so stressful.

@snowflake16 yeah I'm on WL and didn't need to send anything back was just automatically placed on it in a snail mail letter.

Geez so stressful.
I agree, so incredibly stressful. I'm trying to stay positive, but I'm also hesitant because I was interviewed by the same person both times, and so far the outcome has been right on par with how things were for me last year.

@snowflake16 woww that's crazy that you got the same interviewers. I dunno if it makes you feel any better, DD seems more favorable than waitlist. I think the WL gets looked at last :sour:

Hadn’t heard anything back since submitting my secondary and called today and was told that my letters of rec weren’t complete. Apparently they didn’t pick 2 science faculty from the letters I had in AACOMAS and only picked 1 so technically my app has been incomplete since that time. Kind of sucks considering interviews end in March and I actually had a pretty good shot at getting in otherwise. For those of you who haven’t heard anything back maybe check your portal cuz that might be the problem.

Just an update, just got accepted to KCU-COM so it all works out in the end. God is good :)

Reactions: 11 users
I'm not sure if this school sends out rejections post II but some schools don't reject anyone post interview and only outright accepts and waitlist. Maybe to protect themselves incase they realize they under accepted and they have a lot of students to pull from. I'm really not sure. I just know that at a another DO school I interviewed at, the director of admission specifically said they review their applicants every two weeks as a new deposit deadline passes and seats open up. The longer period of silence you go through post interview, the more highly they're considering to accept you and are just waiting for a seat to open up. I'm not saying this is what PCOM does, I'm just saying its possible. If you interviewed a while ago and still haven't heard anything while others who interviewed after you were already waitlisted, they may just be waiting for a spot to open up so that they can outright accept you.

A few people in my family who went through med school, also said that a longer period of silence is good, as opposed to getting a WL or DD, I believe someone else also commented in this thread a while back saying the same thing. That they thought if you hadn't heard anything it was potentially a good thing and that you may be next in line for a seat, but who knows? This whole process is so confusing and stressful and I just want some love from PCOM.

Heyyy guys...question for any current students or anyone with input I guess. I'm shopping around for either a backpack or large tote bag & am essentially torn with what'll be more practical for the first two years of school. The tote bag is huge, has tons and tons of pockets, even a padded area for my laptop, etc. Although the bag is huge, I just wanted to confirm that I won't be carrying around 5 giant textbooks everyday (I've heard from multiple people that buying the books (besides the OMM book) were unnecessary & the PowerPoints did the job just fine). Any input would be great

Has anyone heard anything recently? Fin-aid, waitlist movement, acceptance, rejection, II etc.

Rejected by snail mail yesterday afternoon, interviewed in late March.

So I guess the committee met this week. Maybe delayed decisions will hear next.

Does PCOM award scholarships later? Or do we get our entire finaid package at once?