2017-2018 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompt said:
Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO. (Max 250 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Applying here and PCOM-GA!. Is there a thread for PCOM-GA?

Reactions: 1 user
Heading here this summer. Good luck guys

Members don't see this ad :)
What were your stats and what was your interview like?
LizzyM 68 510+MCAT. Interview was standard - 2 individuals with expected D.O. questions (why DO why PCOM what are some essential characteristics of a physician, etc.. I was lucky to have of practice from other schools before I interviewed at PCOM.

I saw they have a requirement in needing LOR needing professors who taught the basic sciences? Is this pretty strict/should I even bother to apply?

Incoming M2 after this summer. Goodluck to all of you applying! Stay positive!

Hey how was 1st year? Any major tips/recommendations?

It was fun! Very stressful and at times ridiculous in regards to the amount of stuff you need to know. Personally I loved it.

Best tips that I can give is to stay on top of your work. Don't slack or you'll regret it. In addition, during your first trimester experience study methods to find what works best for you. Also, don't underestimate the workload. I came in thinking people were being dramatic about how much stuff they shovel at you, I was wrong.

And keep at your hobbies! They will keep you sane.

Reactions: 2 users
I saw they have a requirement in needing LOR needing professors who taught the basic sciences? Is this pretty strict/should I even bother to apply?

+1

My science letters are from upper level science profs so I'm curious about this one too.

FWIW I had a committee letter that included 2x basic science prof letters. Also had 1 MD, 1 DO and 2 researchers I worked for.

I sent my letters to PCOM via Interfolio and they said that they want letters through AACOMAS. Has anyone in previous years been able to submit them via Interfolio? I don't really want to ask my letter writers to resubmit their materials...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you'd need to re-ask your letter writers. You can send them from interfolio to AACOMAS and then AACOMAS will send them to PCOM.

I sent my letters to PCOM via Interfolio and they said that they want letters through AACOMAS. Has anyone in previous years been able to submit them via Interfolio? I don't really want to ask my letter writers to resubmit their materials...

Oh no... Looks like I can't apply to this school. I just checked out their website and they require three faculty letters of recommendation, and I only have two science letters. Does anyone know if they will make any exceptions to this requirement for nontraditional students out of school for more than a couple of years?

Oh no... Looks like I can't apply to this school. I just checked out their website and they require three faculty letters of recommendation, and I only have two science letters. Does anyone know if they will make any exceptions to this requirement for nontraditional students out of school for more than a couple of years?
Call admissions and see what they say. They might accept another letter from a research advisor or employer.

+1

My science letters are from upper level science profs so I'm curious about this one too.
Where are you getting this info? Their website says:

"Three faculty letters of recommendation: Two of those three letters must be from SCIENCE professors (undergraduate, post-baccalaureate or graduate programs)."

Where are you getting this info? Their website says:

"Three faculty letters of recommendation: Two of those three letters must be from SCIENCE professors (undergraduate, post-baccalaureate or graduate programs)."

I thought I had read this on their website? At the time I disregarded it and just sent in the letters I had. I'm second guessing it now though since I can't find it again.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Call admissions and see what they say. They might accept another letter from a research advisor or employer.
I contacted admissions and they told me that the committee will make no exceptions or substitution to the letters of recommendation requirements. There must be three faculty letters: two from science faculty members and one from a non-science faculty member. I only have two science and no third non-science faculty letter. I even explained that I was nontraditional and have been out of school for a couple of years, and getting two letters of recommendation after so many years out of school was already a feat.

Oh well... I hope I'll have luck with the other schools. Good luck everyone!

I thought I had read this on their website? At the time I disregarded it and just sent in the letters I had. I'm second guessing it now though since I can't find it again.

They may have changed it recently. You may have also read it on the AACOMAS portion of the website. But i'm assuming since this is on their school website, you're probably good.

I've never heard of a school requiring 3 faculty letters before. Hopefully a lot of people still apply because I think that'll mess people up.

I've never heard of a school requiring 3 faculty letters before. Hopefully a lot of people still apply because I think that'll mess people up.

I've come across a lot of MD and DO schools with this requirement. PCOM isn't the only one.

I guess they got rid of the basic science lor and just require science. Definitely applying here now.

Was this not changed this year? I thought I remember a few months back AACOMAS changing something that made the loophole through Interfolio moot.

AACOMAS made a change to the letter submission process which unintentionally affected interfolio but it was fixed within a week or so and now you can use interfolio with AACOMAS again.

AACOMAS made a change to the letter submission process which unintentionally affected interfolio but it was fixed within a week or so and now you can use interfolio with AACOMAS again.
Oh cool. Although I may have already jumped the gun and sent them individually...

Anyone know when they start sending out secondaries? I was verified in May and still haven't received anything. From what I read on previous posts however, PCOM tends to be really slow on getting back to people on secondaries?

Anyone know when they start sending out secondaries? I was verified in May and still haven't received anything. From what I read on previous posts however, PCOM tends to be really slow on getting back to people on secondaries?
Not sure when they start, but I know none have gone out yet so don't worry about it.

They went out late July last year. I think it would be mid-July at the earliest.

FYI last year I got my secondary on 7/27 and I believe first IIs were 9/2

Got that e-mail too. Is that really for a secondary? It was definitely worded weirdly.. Not clear at all

Wait, so all we do is pay the $75 and we're good?

Got that e-mail too. Is that really for a secondary? It was definitely worded weirdly.. Not clear at all
The checklist says supplemental application.... does that just mean the payment?

Anyone know how strict they are on the two science faculty one non-science faculty letters? Think they'd take 2 science and 1 physician instead?

I like how it didn't even say invitation to complete-it was a reminder that the application is incomplete. Either way, secondary received!

So, are there no secondary questions? Do we just pay $75?