2017-2018 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Georgia Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received their financial aid package yet? Or know when we'll receive those?
I was notified that I was getting a scholarship. Not sure if that counts as a "financial aid package."

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received their financial aid package yet? Or know when we'll receive those?
I haven't received mine yet. The school never provided an exact date but said it should show up close to April 1st...so I'm assuming it will appear soon

Last edited:
Would an 18 minute daily commute from campus to lawrenceville be too much?

My commute to school is ~11 minutes and I consider it to be too much, but that's just me. I wish I would have moved to an apartment right next to the school. Also on a side note, I know that apartments in Lawrenceville are a little cheaper, but that is because it's not the best area of Gwinnett county. I would suggest moving to Suwanee.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would an 18 minute daily commute from campus to lawrenceville be too much?

A current student (getfat) told me when I asked about a 20 minute commute: "For your first term I would not suggest living so far away. You are going to be constantly on campus because of SPOM (your first big class). You want to be at least 5-10 minute commute without use of the highway. Highway traffic gets really bad here on the weekday."

Also, nothing on the award summary yet.

On a positive note, I was told I meet all immunization requirements so the MHQ is done.
Woohoo! :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
I used to live in Chelsea88 apartments it was a fairly close commute in a gated community in Duluth ~commute was maybe 10-15 mins because you can take back roads or the highway. The rent was in the upper 900s for a 2 bed 2 bath. I moved to an apartment in Suwanee and now pay rent in the 1400s range. My commute now is 8 mins, but honestly, I love my apartment now but the old one wasn't bad either! I do think the area is 10xs better though, but I never had issues in Duluth because it was gated. I also agree with MakeLifeHappen13 some areas in Lawrenceville/Duluth are not as well.

My commute to school is ~11 minutes and I consider it to be too much, but that's just me. I wish I would have moved to an apartment right next to the school. Also on a side note, I know that apartments in Lawrenceville are a little cheaper, but that is because it's not the best area of Gwinnett county. I would suggest moving to Suwanee.
I probably should’ve also mentioned that I would be living with parents...so would the benefits of that situation outweigh the longer commute?

I probably should’ve also mentioned that I would be living with parents...so would the benefits of that situation outweigh the longer commute?
yes definitely in my opinion..... that means you would save more and commute shouldn't be too bad.

In this case, yes, the decrease in overall debt would definitely outweigh a few extra minutes driving. Just be sure to give yourself plenty of time to get to campus early for test days at 9am.

Any waitlist movement yet? How long do y’all recommend waiting for the school to get you off waitlist before proceeding with acceptance elsewhere ?

Any waitlist movement yet? How long do y’all recommend waiting for the school to get you off waitlist before proceeding with acceptance elsewhere ?
2nd Deposits are due Monday so waitlist movement will probably begin next week or the week after

FAFSA award summaries are up

I've been looking at the numbers...and the numbers are saying I will be getting a roommate

EDIT: Check the facebook group folks, I'm ready to get started on the whole living arrangement thing. The sooner we set this up the better. PM me, message me, send smoke signals...something...Ya'll do NOT want to wait until July to do this, trust me...rent goes up in/after June for housing in general...I'm already looking at options that are opening up

Last edited:
Why does PCOM have to have their white coat ceremony so late? :( It is very important to me to have my white coat social media selfie ASAP lol

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you received some type of scholarship from pcom, would that be included in the award summary?

If you received some type of scholarship from pcom, would that be included in the award summary?
Mine is, but I don't know if they're done giving out scholarships. I would imagine there are still plenty that haven't been granted yet.

I told someone I was going to the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine today, and her eyes lit up. She started talking about how she prefers seeing D.O.'s and we need more "osteopaths" in Georgia. haha. I felt like such a downer explaining that most people see the M.D. and D.O. degrees as pretty much equivalent, and only a small percentage of D.O.'s use OMT in their practice.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone tried to pay the second deposit and had trouble with the payment going through? I've tried multiple browsers but keep getting timed out on the processing payment page.

Has anyone tried to pay the second deposit and had trouble with the payment going through? I've tried multiple browsers but keep getting timed out on the processing payment page.
Make sure you use the link from your application portal

Hey uh whirlpool, your parents wouldn't happen to have a spare broom closet, storage shed, or basement crawl space they want to rent out to a med student do they? Haha. But seriously, rent is no joke! (been browsing some listings today)

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else get an e mail today? I know it can't possibly be an II this late, but I'm scared to open it, eve though I am pretty sure I know what is says lol

Was the $1750 for the seat deposits subtracted from the overall amount of tuition you all owe/have to take out loans for?

It goes towards your tuition.
Right, I get that. What I'm trying to figure out is how exactly it going towards your tuition is reflected in the financial aid package. Do they just offer you $1750 less in loans than they would if you were a second-year student? I'm going to have to call them. My situation is a little funky because of my scholarship, I think.

Right, I get that. What I'm trying to figure out is how exactly it going towards your tuition is reflected in the financial aid package. Do they just offer you $1750 less in loans than they would if you were a second-year student? I'm going to have to call them. My situation is a little funky because of my scholarship, I think.

You take out loans to cover your tuition and living expenses. The admissions deposit and the scholarships will subtract your tuition, and you take out loans in how much you need to cover the rest of the tuition and living expenses. You are able to apply for up to the estimated cost of attendance, as determined by the school which is like 76k, but the amount you will take out in loans will depend on how much you yourself will apply for.

You take out loans to cover your tuition and living expenses. The admissions deposit and the scholarships will subtract your tuition, and you take out loans in how much you need to cover the rest of the tuition and living expenses. You are able to apply for up to the estimated cost of attendance, as determined by the school which is like 76k, but the amount you will take out in loans will depend on how much you yourself will apply for.
Thank you! So the deposit is subtracted from the tuition. I need to call them.

Why does PCOM have to have their white coat ceremony so late? :( It is very important to me to have my white coat social media selfie ASAP lol

Theres definitely pros and cons to it. This year we had our whiteout ceremony right after a hell week so nobody was feeling too hot during the event.
The nice thing was that there wasn't much to do that weekend so you could spend it with your family.

Theres definitely pros and cons to it. This year we had our whiteout ceremony right after a hell week so nobody was feeling too hot during the event.
The nice thing was that there wasn't much to do that weekend so you could spend it with your family.
The first part is what I'm worried about. I feel like getting my white coat when I'm bright-eyed and and giddy about starting medical school would be a lot more exciting and enjoyable than getting it when I'm worn out and exhausted from being so far into the semester.

rejected pre-II. best of luck to all yall!

Hey guys I submitted my final deposit Friday night (13th) and I'm of course paranoid because it says effective April 16th. Lol also I'm unable to login to mypcom to see financial info etc. Thanks for any ideas!

The first part is what I'm worried about. I feel like getting my white coat when I'm bright-eyed and and giddy about starting medical school would be a lot more exciting and enjoyable than getting it when I'm worn out and exhausted from being so far into the semester.

Thats a definitely solid argument to put in the con section.

Personally, I didn't have a problem with it because it's basically a free weekend to spend with family. Gave them an excuse to see me (hadn't seen them in a couple months because of moving/school).

Plus on top of that you have a much better relationship with your classmates (or who you are BFFs with by then). So its not like you are sitting in a ceremony with people you barely know. So you could tell your family "hey this is jerry my buddy in anatomy lab" compared to "I have no idea who any of these people are".

Thats a definitely solid argument to put in the con section.

Personally, I didn't have a problem with it because it's basically a free weekend to spend with family. Gave them an excuse to see me (hadn't seen them in a couple months because of moving/school).

Plus on top of that you have a much better relationship with your classmates (or who you are BFFs with by then). So its not like you are sitting in a ceremony with people you barely know. So you could tell your family "hey this is jerry my buddy in anatomy lab" compared to "I have no idea who any of these people are".
Definitely a good point. I didn't think about how it would be kind of strange to go through such a meaningful ceremony with people you hardly know. Ideally, I wish they'd do it sometime like early September so you are getting to know everyone by that point but don't have to wait as long to get your coat, but I'll get over it haha. Not a huge deal in the scheme of things.

Definitely a good point. I didn't think about how it would be kind of strange to go through such a meaningful ceremony with people you hardly know. Ideally, I wish they'd do it sometime like early September so you are getting to know everyone by that point but don't have to wait as long to get your coat, but I'll get over it haha. Not a huge deal in the scheme of things.
Wait, so what day is the white coat ceremony exactly?

The exact day is not decided until later but it is usually mid-late October. Ours was October 20th.

Withdrew my acceptance; best of luck to whoever gets it!

Reactions: 5 users
anyone know how we’re supposed to go about doing the background check?

You should get an e-mail around the middle of May with instructions on how to complete the background check. At least that's how it was last year for me. I doubt it's changed.

Has anyone tried to send a letter of intent? If so what email did u send it too? I sent it to the ga admissions office and got a reply that they are only accepting updates that have grades or transcripts on them, it wasn't a very clear message so I don't even know if they accepted my letter.

Withdrew my acceptance earlier this week. Hopefully it goes to one of you! Good luck! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone tried to send a letter of intent? If so what email did u send it too? I sent it to the ga admissions office and got a reply that they are only accepting updates that have grades or transcripts on them, it wasn't a very clear message so I don't even know if they accepted my letter.

I don't think they take letters of intent or status updates besides what they mentioned.

Also, +1 to you for Rick and Morty reference in the username

Anyone know if there are GPA/Grade requirements after being accepted?

Did anyone happen to find out if PCOM-GA typically has significant waitlist movement?

Did anyone happen to find out if PCOM-GA typically has significant waitlist movement?

Class of 2020 saw significant movement but the class of 2021 didn't see much. So it's basically year to year. This info is from the admissions staff.

By just looking at SDN for this year, my personal opinion is that there will probably be a pretty good amount of waitlist movement.

For current/previous students, any thoughts on the TISSUE program and is it worth doing?

For current/previous students, any thoughts on the TISSUE program and is it worth doing?
I am also very interested in any and all information. Specific to the online version if possible!

Also very interested in any thoughts anyone has on TISSUE. It sounds like a fantastic option for me, but I'd like to hear what kinds of experiences others have had with it if possible.