2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any current students know if you can use surface pros or any tablet-like computer? The computer-based testing section says no, but I remember one of the students who gave us a tour said that's what they have.

Members don't see this ad.

So if I wait until december to put down my deposit do I run the risk of being placed at Macomb? Or since I'm choosing EL should I be okay since the class size is so big? That's a lot of money to put down when I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools.

Reactions: 1 user
So if I wait until december to put down my deposit do I run the risk of being placed at Macomb? Or since I'm choosing EL should I be okay since the class size is so big? That's a lot of money to put down when I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools.
Take this with a grain of salt, but my year we still had spots left at all three sites until mid-January (and then EL open for a good while longer). Grated we did not have interviews at that time so the admissions timeline may be somewhat different now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any current students know if you can use surface pros or any tablet-like computer? The computer-based testing section says no, but I remember one of the students who gave us a tour said that's what they have.

I know one person who uses a Surface. Dunno if he uses that as his testing device though, but I can't imagine why that wouldn't work. As an aside, a TON of my peers have invested in the new iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil. I'm not a fan of Apple, but can't deny it's quite nice/useful.

You get until December to put a deposit?

I think you'll be fine, but if you want to be safe, maybe do it by mid-November if you haven't heard back from other places yet.

I know one person who uses a Surface. Dunno if he uses that as his testing device though, but I can't imagine why that wouldn't work. As an aside, a TON of my peers have invested in the new iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil. I'm not a fan of Apple, but can't deny it's quite nice/useful.

They said no tablets or surfaces from Class of 2021 on, does that include your class?

They said no tablets or surfaces from Class of 2021 on, does that include your class?
From what I know, some kids do use a surface but it's "not ideal". The new software we use, Examplify, does however run just fine on iPad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm so torn on this damn OOS tuition.... Have a II here but have an acceptance from a DO school in my state. sigh.

I know it was mentioned earlier but can anyone confirm that the "interview day" section on the portal is for MMI responses? Is it for all of them or what?

I know it was mentioned earlier but can anyone confirm that the "interview day" section on the portal is for MMI responses? Is it for all of them or what?
Its for a single station and will be explained to you on interview day. We signed nondisclosure agreements so we can't say what it actually is

Its for a single station and will be explained to you on interview day. We signed nondisclosure agreements so we can't say what it actually is

Alright, thanks for the response!

Super worried about their decision on me. Esp due to the 3 tier waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my II! What should I expect from an interview? Any prep tips? Good luck everyone!

Accepted via phone call just now! Interviewed 9/28 (omg super fast turnaround). Good luck everybody!!

Reactions: 7 users
ACCCCCCCEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPTEDDDDDDDDDDDDD I SOBBED ON THE PHONE CALL. OMGMGGGG MY DREAM SCHOOL!!

Reactions: 6 users
What did you guys do to prepare for the interview?

Did you get the call from a 517 number?
Also, Congratulations!!

Yup! I actually missed the call (I'm non-trad and was in a work meeting so I couldn't answer my phone) and had to call back. And thank you! :happy:

Congrats! Message me for the FB group invite if you're accepting your offer!

Canadian here who was tier I WL last year. 3.56GPA and 513 MCAT.

Completed since 8/22. Also did an appointment with advisor and followed her tip. Any other Canadians receive IIs yet?

Completed since 8/22. Also did an appointment with advisor and followed her tip. Any other Canadians receive IIs yet?
Accepted. And there were a few Canadians at my interview and a few others accepted so far I believe.

Tier 1 this year. Do you know about when they started pulling off t-1?

If you're Canadian it's actually quite hard. I was never given an offer due to the limited amount of seats. But for Americans I believe the waitlist goes quite far into Tier 2.

I would imagine this just depends on how many admissions they give out during X amount of time. They probably have goals they want to hit for # admitted by certain dates and if they don't have enough candidates they deem worthy by that time then they'll start on the waitlist? Can't actually say for sure, that's just my guess. I don't think there's really a standard time for that or that it would be widely known if there even was.

All I know for sure is that MOST movement from the waitlists happens in April-May, but that's probably fairly obvious.

Well interestingly I just received an II this afternoon. Look forward to seeing some folks on Oct 27th!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!!!!!
Best phone call ever, super pumped!!

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks everyone. American applicant.

Any Canadian accepted from the September 28th interview so far?

I know folks can't say anything about the MMI portion of interview day, but what does the rest of interview day look like? Thanks in advance. Is there a lot of walking?

I know folks can't say anything about the MMI portion of interview day, but what does the rest of interview day look like? Thanks in advance. Is there a lot of walking?

You get there and are ferried in small groups by current students there upstairs to the main room, where you can sit wherever and casually chat with people or ask questions to the MSUCOM students. Snacks and water are provided. It was pretty hot that day and due to my outfit, so hydration really helped. Make sure to use the opportunities to go to the bathroom though when you can, or else you may suffer a while like me at the end, haha. Anyways, once it is time, they talk for a bit (10 ish minutes?) about some basics of the interview day and divide you into your pre-determined group, which either does the MMI first or listens to Dr. Falls' presentation about the college and whatnot. I was personally put into the interview first group, which was nice to get over with. I really enjoyed the MMI, which was the highlight honestly, though I can't disclose details on it. After doing both the interview and listen to the presentation, in whatever respective order you are assigned, you get to ask questions to the MSUCOM students privately without the staff which is cool. Snacks and water are available then too. Then, they take you on a 20 or so minute tour around the building, concluding the interview! I think the whole day was about 4 hours total, as I expected.

I was a 9/28 interviewee for reference. I do feel as if I had a great interview, but I haven't heard back quite yet. I took the 9/7 MCAT and get my score back Tuesday, so hopefully I get at least around a 500 as I hope and maybe they'll call and deliver the good news soon after.

Some personal stats: In-state student, 3.57 undergraduate GPA senior at MSU with a 3.46 science GPA. I am an OMSP student, but I'm a weird exception, as I didn't meet the requirements to waive the MCAT (3.5 overall and 3.5 science GPA). So technically, I applied outside the program despite being in it, and I still got an interview, though not in the same wave as the scholars, and I still feel optimistic about my chances. I have heard though that a few scholars who DID meet the requirements for the waived MCAT didn't make it, while some who didn't meet the requirements DID get in.

Anyways, if anyone has other questions about general parts of the interview day, feel free to ask.

Well interestingly I just received an II this afternoon. Look forward to seeing some folks on Oct 27th!
I also interview on the 27th. Hope
I also have an interview on the 27th. Will see you then. Hopefully we all do well. I'm Canadian as well. Are you planning on doing a mock mmi to prepare?

I also interview on the 27th. Hope

I also have an interview on the 27th. Will see you then. Hopefully we all do well. I'm Canadian as well. Are you planning on doing a mock mmi to prepare?

Probably won't have much time due to work and other things. But having been there last year already does prep me for what is to come. I think someone here has already mentioned how the interview day goes and it was pretty much the same as last year.

I have used a Surface Pro 4 everyday for the last 2 years and taken all my exams on it and I have not had a problem at all. It is super nice to annotate all the coursepacks right in Drawboard PDF.....I don't know why they told the class of 2021 they can't use them. Haven't had an issue once. Mac books actually had the most issues with the testing software and Surface and iPad ran smoothly

I have used a Surface Pro 4 everyday for the last 2 years and taken all my exams on it and I have not had a problem at all. It is super nice to annotate all the coursepacks right in Drawboard PDF.....I don't know why they told the class of 2021 they can't use them. Haven't had an issue once. Mac books actually had the most issues with the testing software and Surface and iPad ran smoothly
I have a newly bought Surface Pro 2017 and I read that the exam software doesn't work on "surfaces/ipads" and I felt super bummed because I literally got this for Medical School! Are you sure we can use it for the exams?

Accepted Today
Link to FB group?

Last edited:
Anyone know if MSU does silent rejections?

Anyone know if MSU does silent rejections?

They don't do silent rejections I don't believe. And to everyone who still hasn't received an II, stay hopeful! Many of my classmates submitted early last cycle and didn't interview (and get accepted) until many months after! Best of luck and congrats to everyone who has been accepted, looking forward to maybe being your big sib haha! :)

7/16 silence.. Id rather they just rejected me! I like to think they like our applications but have preferences who to invite first :)

It's still October. MSU interviewed through February last cycle. Just keep hanging in there. Maybe call and/or even write them a letter of interest if this is one of your top choices.

Does anyone have an idea of the ball park acceptace rate post interview for this school?