2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think its worth submitting primary to here now? 3.7cgpa, 3.7sgpa, 3.9gradgpa, 518 mcat OOS

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think its worth submitting primary to here now? 3.7cgpa, 3.7sgpa, 3.9gradgpa, 518 mcat OOS

You could get into a lot of schools, especially your state schools, with those numbers...

Unless, you have a significant reason for coming to MI.

You could get into a lot of schools, especially your state schools, with those numbers...

Unless, you have a significant reason for coming to MI.

MSUCOM just seems like one of the top DO schools IMO...I don't really have ties to any state besides my own (FL)

Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM just seems like one of the top DO schools IMO...I don't really have ties to any state besides my own (FL)

Just bear in mind that out of state tuition is over 80 grand...

Reactions: 1 users
Last edited:
Just bear in mind that out of state tuition is over 80 grand...

The cost of essentially any DO school is 50k a year...I'd rather spend the extra 40k (over 4 years) to go to a school that will give me a better chance of matching into the specialty I want than save 40k (which is really only a few months salary for any physician regardless of specialty)

Not entirely true if we're talking strictly tuition. ~$83-84k is their estimate for total cost of attendance (living expenses and all). Tuition itself is ~$59-60k for OOS. Regardless, it is super expensive for out-of-staters.

MSUCOM student cost/budget estimates:
http://www.com.msu.edu/Students/Financial_Aid/17-18 Med Budgets-OM.pdf
Not quite. If you add up the OOS tuition and fees alone it's $325,194 or $81,298.50 per year. Realize there are three semesters per year. Total OOS estimated cost of attendance, without scholarships, is $451,915 or $112,978.75/year.

Reactions: 1 user
Since 6/27. Starting to feel like RIP MSUCOM

I submitted everything way later than you. They interviewed till end of February last year.

The cost of essentially any DO school is 50k a year...I'd rather spend the extra 40k (over 4 years) to go to a school that will give me a better chance of matching into the specialty I want than save 40k (which is really only a few months salary for any physician regardless of specialty)

At first, I thought you meant an extra 40k per year, and even I wouldn't have recommended my school for that price.

Not quite. If you add up the OOS tuition and fees alone it's $325,194 or $81,298.50 per year. Realize there are three semesters per year. Total OOS estimated cost of attendance, without scholarships, is $451,915 or $112,978.75/year.
I suppose you're correct. Didn't realize that $59k figure was only for 9 months. Jeez, glad I'm in state.

My IS DO schools are NSU and Lecom-B....NSU is pretty good, Idk how I feel about Lecom tho. Hopefully I'll get into an IS MD program. Thanks for your input about the COA, I hadn't considered exactly how expensive the school would be for me as an OOS-er.

My IS DO schools are NSU and Lecom-B....NSU is pretty good, Idk how I feel about Lecom tho. Hopefully I'll get into an IS MD program. Thanks for your input about the COA, I hadn't considered exactly how expensive the school would be for me as an OOS-er.
There is a scholarship available for OOS students that helps to bring the cost down, but I'm afraid I don't know the specific amount or what proportion of OOS students get this scholarship. Just something to keep in mind if you're genuinely interested in the school!

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!!! Agh, so excited!! Congrats to everyone that also got accepted and good luck to everyone still in the process!

Reactions: 6 users
II just now!!! OOS, complete early July. One of the first secondaries I wrote and thought it was a hot mess. Excited for this one.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone complete in early July still waiting for an II?

I interviewed earlier this month.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know when our portal will be updated with our status? (interviewed sept 8th)

Last edited:
Anyone know when our portal will be updated with our status?
If you've already interviewed or what? Your portal won't update prior to you receiving a phone call or email regarding the decision. So no use in checking back until then :p

If we didn't find out yesterday about our interview result, should we be worried and when can we expect to find out?

If we didn't find out yesterday about our interview result, should we be worried and when can we expect to find out?
I'm in the same boat with you.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat with you. Honestly i'm starting to get worried because they had another interview day 2 days ago and another one coming up in 8 days. meaning they probably shouldve finished up acceptances for the early sept interview so they can focus on the newer interviews. i know people say "they said 30 days!" but it's really difficult not to be worried when its been almost 2 weeks and a lot of people got calls already

I'm in the same boat but you can't think like this. Dr. Ruger specifically said that when you hear back is 100% dependent on what adcom member you get assigned to and whether they procrastinate or not. It hasn't even been two weeks.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in the same boat but you can't think like this. Dr. Ruger specifically said that when you hear back is 100% dependent on what adcom member you get assigned to and whether they procrastinate or not. It hasn't even been two weeks.
i d

Last edited:

sorry- i double posted my reply. im still figuring out SDN

You guys gotta relax a little bit. I know it's nerve-wracking (I had to go through it twice), but the timing literally means nothing that you have or haven't heard your decision yet. Last year, I found out I was waitlisted at exactly 30 days. This year, I was accepted at ~3 weeks and I had the very first interview date.

I know someone who found out he/she was waitlisted after ~2 weeks this year and someone else posted in this thread a couple weeks ago after like 8 days post-interview saying they already found out they were accepted. Point is, it is not indicative of whether or not you will be accepted. Everyone on the admissions committee has a full-time job in addition to their responsibilities for decisions so I'm not even sure it's fair to say they're "procrastinating". They're just busy people who have probably slightly different schedules one week to the next. I'm sure none of this helps calm the nerves, but when they say the timing doesn't mean anything, they're not lying to you.

Reactions: 3 users
You guys gotta relax a little bit. I know it's nerve-wracking (I had to go through it twice), but the timing literally means nothing that you have or haven't heard your decision yet. Last year, I found out I was waitlisted at exactly 30 days. This year, I was accepted at ~3 weeks and I had the very first interview date.

I know someone who found out he/she was waitlisted after ~2 weeks this year and someone else posted in this thread a couple weeks ago after like 8 days post-interview saying they already found out they were accepted. Point is, it is not indicative of whether or not you will be accepted. Everyone on the admissions committee has a full-time job in addition to their responsibilities for decisions so I'm not even sure it's fair to say they're "procrastinating". They're just busy people who have probably slightly different schedules one week to the next. I'm sure none of this helps calm the nerves, but when they say the timing doesn't mean anything, they're not lying to you.

That's totally fair and I'm sorry for this firestorm, lol. I was just trying to ask the room for more information. It's understandable they have jobs and lives, but I was curious about when I'd hear back!

I can't even imagine having to go through it twice, kudos to you! Btw, I think 99% of any premed/med population is incapable of "relaxing." the neuroticism is why we're here in the first place lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I definitely get what you're saying, but i guess this whole process is starting to get taxing on me and your mind cant help but wonder when you've been waitin for nearly 2 weeks. I can't even imagine having to go through it twice, kudos to you! Btw, I think 99% of any premed/med population is incapable of "relaxing." the neuroticism is why we're here in the first place lol

I agree on the taxing part of it, but I think the issue some took with what you said with the above statement was the procrastinating part of it. Otherwise, I am right there with you. I was anxious as hell yesterday and even got nauseous at one point because I was worried about whether I'd get in or not.

I agree on the taxing part of it, but I think the issue some took with what you said with the above statement was the procrastinating part of it. Otherwise, I am right there with you. I was anxious as hell yesterday and even got nauseous at one point because I was worried about whether I'd get in or not.
Stay strong! I totally know what you guys are going through... man, this residency application process is just as bad as the med school application process (just with an additional pretty little mountain of debt looming behind your head).

Stay strong! I totally know what you guys are going through... man, this residency application process is just as bad as the med school application process (just with an additional pretty little mountain of debt looming behind your head).

I believe in you, friend! May the match ever be in your favor.

For people accepted from 9/8 interview day, where you in the AM or PM session? Maybe this makes some sort of difference

My interview here is next week and I'm super nervous, anyone have any tips on how to do well on the interview! MSUCOM is my first choice!

My interview here is next week and I'm super nervous, anyone have any tips on how to do well on the interview! MSUCOM is my first choice!
Review MMI format stuff. Make a system on how to approach a situation you can't prepare for. Most MMI videos on YouTube can give you an idea.

Review MMI format stuff. Make a system on how to approach a situation you can't prepare for. Most MMI videos on YouTube can give you an idea.
So it's only MMI? Hm. I'm kinda nervous about that. They don't try to get to know you some more through asking personal questions?

So it's only MMI? Hm. I'm kinda nervous about that. They don't try to get to know you some more through asking personal questions?
MMI is a way to gauge people's personality. I can't say too much about the int itself b/c I signed a non-disclosure form.

Youtube videos were a good way for me to prepare for the general idea of what MMI questions look like. Aside from that, be yourself. Without knowing the specific questions, there's only so much you can do to prepare. Relax and show the interviewers your personality and who you are.

Youtube videos were a good way for me to prepare for the general idea of what MMI questions look like. Aside from that, be yourself. Without knowing the specific questions, there's only so much you can do to prepare. Relax and show the interviewers your personality and who you are.
Sigh it's just so hard to relax lol! I looked over all the MMI stuff on Youtube and went over the AMA Journal of Ethics. I'm kind of annoyed they don't give us an overview of interview day. Mine is the 1 PM, can anyone provide me an overview of the day? Were there any tours?

Sigh it's just so hard to relax lol! I looked over all the MMI stuff on Youtube and went over the AMA Journal of Ethics. I'm kind of annoyed they don't give us an overview of interview day. Mine is the 1 PM, can anyone provide me an overview of the day? Were there any tours?
You'll start with the entire group together, at which time Dr. Ruger and others will give you a better picture of the day/a little info session about MSUCOM and the admissions process. Then you'll split in half; half will do the interview first and the other half will do the tour first, then you'll switch. They're super friendly and welcoming so it's not an intimidating atmosphere at all.

EDIT: I would highly recommend touring the other sites as well if you're considering them. I just saw the DMC site last week and decided I very much prefer it to East Lansing. They definitely have different things to offer, depending on your preferences.

Last edited:
When did people get an email after the call? An hour? 15 minutes? 3 days?

You'll start with the entire group together, at which time Dr. Ruger and others will give you a better picture of the day/a little info session about MSUCOM and the admissions process. Then you'll split in half; half will do the interview first and the other half will do the tour first, then you'll switch. They're super friendly and welcoming so it's not an intimidating atmosphere at all.

EDIT: I would highly recommend touring the other sites as well if you're considering them. I just saw the DMC site last week and decided I very much prefer it to East Lansing. They definitely have different things to offer, depending on your preferences.
What's the difference between them? What did you like in the DMC campus over EL?