2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - Arizona Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if the Arizona campus is doing closed or open interviews this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I have an interview here next month, do you guys think it would help or hurt to add a LOR specifically for this school? (Alumnus of Mayo) does it look tacky to "add" one in like that?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have an interview here next month, do you guys think it would help or hurt to add a LOR specifically for this school? (Alumnus of Mayo) does it look tacky to "add" one in like that?
If they have already sent you an II, they won't be reviewing your LORs again.

I currently have an II here, and was curious if attending the Arizona campus would help my chances in matching at MN - Rochester campus?

Thanks!

I currently have an II here, and was curious if attending the Arizona campus would help my chances in matching at MN - Rochester campus?

Thanks!

Congrats on the II! Sorry this is a off topic but I was wondering if you still have the "Withdraw" tab on your status page? Mine just disappeared and I feel like it's bad news :/

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

A very large portion of MCSOM graduates do their residencies at Mayo (AZ, FL, and MN) so I won't say that it's a definite yes, but I will say that it definitely won't hurt your chances.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on the II! Sorry this is a off topic but I was wondering if you still have the "Withdraw" tab on your status page? Mine just disappeared and I feel like it's bad news :/

II a few weeks ago... my withdraw tabs for both MN and AZ are gone

Reactions: 3 users
A very large portion of MCSOM graduates do their residencies at Mayo (AZ, FL, and MN) so I won't say that it's a definite yes, but I will say that it definitely won't hurt your chances.

Ok thanks! I am sure it won't hurt my chances of matching somewhere else great too.

Hi all - any idea if Mayo AZ is receptive to in the area emails? Thanks everyone

Have any interviews here happened yet? Mine is coming up and I'm curious how it went for others :)

Reactions: 1 users
II as well! Still no news from MN campus but I am not complaining.

Those who got II's today.. Congrats!.. When were you complete?

First II today here at my top choice! Never thought it was possible with a 511-513! Complete 7/28

Reactions: 2 users
PATIENTLY WAITING WORKED; II

Reactions: 12 users
Can anyone confirm how admissions works? When do students typically find out? Are the admissions rolling: I don't see how you can have rolling admissions with a class size of 50 so that's just my guess.

If anyone can shed some light on this that would be great.

wuba-luba-dub-dub

Can anyone confirm how admissions works? When do students typically find out? Are the admissions rolling: I don't see how you can have rolling admissions with a class size of 50 so that's just my guess.

If anyone can shed some light on this that would be great.

wuba-luba-dub-dub
Not rolling, they will notify sometime in Feb I believe

Congrats! Was it open or closed file?
Partially open (or is that partially closed?). The interviewers see personal statement, secondary application, and 3 most important activities on the primary.

Any female applicants interviewing on Nov. 3rd want to split the cost of a hotel room or airBNB to save money? Message me!

We are student hosting this year, and our host program should be up and running by then. You should give that a try!

Reactions: 3 users
We are student hosting this year, and our host program should be up and running by then. You should give that a try!
Great! I got the invite to sign up for it this week.
Think it would be picky for me to put on my form about requesting my own room -- if I were graciously offered a couch, I think I'd rather spring for a hotel room. What do you think?

Great! I got the invite to sign up for it this week.
Think it would be picky for me to put on my form about requesting my own room -- if I were graciously offered a couch, I think I'd rather spring for a hotel room. What do you think?

That shouldn't be a problem. Just write your preferences in the additional comments section. If an extra room is available they'll try to make it happen, and if not they'll just let you do your thing and find a hotel.

Just an fyi, I know we have a few students that are hosting that do have an extra room, and some of the hosts who don't have an extra room have an air mattress for the students they are hosting.

II! for the AZ/FL 2+2 track!
I'm trying to schedule my interview in January. Is this too late?

II for the AZ/FL 2+2 as well!! Complete 08/14

Anyone know if the Arizona campus is doing closed or open interviews this year?
As far as I know, AZ and MN campuses have the exact same interview structuere, which is two 30min interviews with two faculties, open files (almost, everything but your exact MCAT and GPA.)

II! for the AZ/FL 2+2 track!
I'm trying to schedule my interview in January. Is this too late?
Even though they don't have rolling admission, I'd schedule it as soon as possible.
It doesn't exactly show enthusiasm if you schedule your interview 6 months after you're invited.

If it's of any interest to other applicants who are interested in 2+2, or have heard back from one campus and not the other:
Not too long ago I received an II for MN/FL 2+2. Slightly over a week after that I received an email from AZ saying my single 2+2 interview in Jacksonville would allow me to be considered for both MN and AZ campuses. I think I remember reading that the application reviews are separate for both campuses with different committees, so I didn't necessarily have my hopes up about AZ, but I was certainly pleasantly surprised to have heard back!

I just thought I'd share because I thought I saw someone else comment a while ago that they heard from one school and then heard from the other not too long after. Might very well be coincidence, but same happened with me.

Does anyone know how this 2+2 track admission process works? How many apps do you guys think the program has received? And how many are they planning to interview/offer acceptances for a class size of 8?

Does anyone know how this 2+2 track admission process works? How many apps do you guys think the program has received? And how many are they planning to interview/offer acceptances for a class size of 8?
I think the eight includes MN students as well, but a current Mayo student can correct me. Im assuming at this point that not receiving an II (since quite a few for both programs have gone out - and they can't be interviewing that many people for so few spots) means I am no longer in the running. Bummer since this is definitely my top choice school. I hope the rejection letter comes soon or I'm moved to the other pile or something.

I think the eight includes MN students as well, but a current Mayo student can correct me. Im assuming at this point that not receiving an II (since quite a few for both programs have gone out - and they can't be interviewing that many people for so few spots) means I am no longer in the running. Bummer since this is definitely my top choice school. I hope the rejection letter comes soon or I'm moved to the other pile or something.

My guess is that for a class of 8, they will possibly accept 16-20 out of 50 interviewees?

My guess is that for a class of 8, they will possibly accept 16-20 out of 50 interviewees?
Probably more like 12 to 16. They have a tremendously high yield

Probably more like 12 to 16. They have a tremendously high yield
I was just wondering... If you don't get accepted post-interview, is that an outright rejection from the traditional 4yr AZ MD program as well???

You are not out of the running until you receive a rejection. Several of my classmates didn't receive interviews until very late in the cycle, and a couple of them were in the very last group to be interviewed.

Don't count yourself out yet - maybe write them a letter again explaining why they're your top choice? And maybe emphasize that you don't necessarily need the 2+2 program if you're worried about that? If people are still getting IIs this past week, they must have at least a few spots left!