2017-2018 Loyola University - Chicago (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current M1 (just finishing orientation, classes start on Monday)

Feel free to ask me questions if it's helpful! Good luck everybody <3

Members don't see this ad.

II

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this based on something said by the school?
Yes. Other people that have posted in this thread confirmed contacting the Office of Admissions asking about this.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in Romeoville too and honestly if I get accepted and choose Loyola I would just move there or a surrounding area. Taking 55 would be killer if you chose to go on an 8-5 basis. My dad commutes and takes him at least an hour and a half considering peak traffic hours.

The commute time is pretty accurate... it all depends on where priorities lie. Commute time v cost of living

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm in Romeoville too and honestly if I get accepted and choose Loyola I would just move there or a surrounding area. Taking 55 would be killer if you chose to go on an 8-5 basis. My dad commutes and takes him at least an hour and a half considering peak traffic hours.

I was thinking 355 to 88 but that could be even worse, lol

Secondary submitted! I hope I'm not too late! One of my friends went here for med school and loved it so it'd be awesome if I could get in (or at least an interview, haha).

Members don't see this ad :)
This comment/reply is prefaced with an apology for being a downer.

Personally, I would not talk about a low MCAT score unless something tragic happened during your exam (in which case you should retake). There are an enormous number of applicants who feel the same as you about their experience, even the ones who scored well. I don't think the ad com would view your situation as extraordinary or poignant, which is the only capacity in which I would mention an MCAT score. (I would certainly not bring up practice scores at any cost -- meaningless to the ad com.) Even more to the point, the MCAT tests your ability under pressure. I'm not sure you want to go out of your way to tell ad coms that you struggled under pressure. Med school, residency, and your career will have tremendous pressure at times, so you need to paint a picture of resiliency!

Gotta own that MCAT or get a better score. I think those are really the only two options.

Best of luck!!!

I have a question concerning the academic missteps portion of that essay prompt. My undergrad GPA was a 3.3 overall and 3.25 science with a major in Cell and Molecular Biology. I have since gotten my MS in Biology, published first author, and tried to compensate with a 3.8 graduate GPA. Following the grad degree, I spent 18 months scribing and taking the MCAT.

My goal in answering the prompt is to explain my lack of competitive undergraduate GPA by discussing initial failure to balance a full time club sport with the rigors of a pre-med class load. I had to compensate after dropping gen chem by stacking classes thereafter.

My current strategy is to explain my lack of maturity and ambivalence about being a doctor during undergrad and how my post-graduate efforts gave me time to mature, prove myself academically, and make an informed decision to become a physician.

Any advice about my game plan for this prompt would be much appreciated. Please be frank and honest!

I have a question concerning the academic missteps portion of that essay prompt. My undergrad GPA was a 3.3 overall and 3.25 science with a major in Cell and Molecular Biology. I have since gotten my MS in Biology, published first author, and tried to compensate with a 3.8 graduate GPA. Following the grad degree, I spent 18 months scribing and taking the MCAT.

My goal in answering the prompt is to explain my lack of competitive undergraduate GPA by discussing initial failure to balance a full time club sport with the rigors of a pre-med class load. I had to compensate after dropping gen chem by stacking classes thereafter.

My current strategy is to explain my lack of maturity and ambivalence about being a doctor during undergrad and how my post-graduate efforts gave me time to mature, prove myself academically, and make an informed decision to become a physician.

Any advice about my game plan for this prompt would be much appreciated. Please be frank and honest!

I think your response is good, and I was in a similar situation. Just be careful not to make "excuses" and really try and demonstrate how you've improved. What skills have you gained, etc. I also would be clear that medicine is absolutely where you want to be....I'd be wary that stating you were ambivalent about medicine in undergrad would hint that you may change your mind later on aka in med school. Overall, "show don't tell." Hope this helps, and I definitely can relate!

I wouldn't put anything unless there was 1 bad semester due to death or something. Like many adcoms here say, why highlight bad portions of your application? A 3.3 is not that bad and you already made up for it (dunno about mcat though, but they will see that too).

I think your response is good, and I was in a similar situation. Just be careful not to make "excuses" and really try and demonstrate how you've improved. What skills have you gained, etc. I also would be clear that medicine is absolutely where you want to be....I'd be wary that stating you were ambivalent about medicine in undergrad would hint that you may change your mind later on aka in med school. Overall, "show don't tell." Hope this helps, and I definitely can relate!

Thanks for the feedback.

I wouldn't put anything unless there was 1 bad semester due to death or something. Like many adcoms here say, why highlight bad portions of your application? A 3.3 is not that bad and you already made up for it (dunno about mcat though, but they will see that too).

Thanks for the feedback. Yea there were no crazy reasons for my lack of performance that first semester other than poor planning and time management.

With that said, I think I'll just let my gradual improvement in grades, and decent MCAT (506), speak for itself rather than write something that sounds like a broken record and will only irritate admissions committees.

For this question: Please describe a personal or professional challenge or conflict that you have experienced. How did you resolve it? What skills, resources and/or strategies did you employ? DO NOT write about the MCAT, a course, or an academic issue. (500 words max), would it be ok to discuss my struggles dealing with a grandparent affected by dementia?

For this question: Please describe a personal or professional challenge or conflict that you have experienced. How did you resolve it? What skills, resources and/or strategies did you employ? DO NOT write about the MCAT, a course, or an academic issue. (500 words max), would it be ok to discuss my struggles dealing with a grandparent affected by dementia?
I think yes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don't see why not. That's definitely a personal challenge.

ugh my portal still says im under review and i submitted on 7/7. does anyone know when they tend to send out II?

ugh my portal still says im under review and i submitted on 7/7. does anyone know when they tend to send out II?
I'm assuming they already started, someone a few posts ago said they received one last week so...

Placing a little cautious doubt on it, especially on an anonymous forum where anyone could essentially say anything.

Reactions: 4 users
Is being of Jewish faith going to be difficult at this school?

When I visited, the guy who led my tour was Jewish! He talked pretty candidly (at least for a tour guide) about how they are extremely open to all faiths and even the ministry on campus welcomes discussions and hosts events open to students of all faiths.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine.
Was this the message that originally popped up for you guys when your application was complete? I can't remember if it was different when I checked a couple of weeks ago.

• Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine.
Was this the message that originally popped up for you guys when your application was complete? I can't remember if it was different when I checked a couple of weeks ago.
That's the one. I think it stays like that for a while until they invite you to interview.

Reactions: 1 users
has only 1 person on here got an II?? I wonder when they'll send more...

Would it be appropriate to upload research abstracts where the portal mentions "something to update"?

Would it be appropriate to upload research abstracts where the portal mentions "something to update"?

I'm not an expert when it comes to research updates but many advise to only update when published

Does anybody know what the word limits are for #s 3 and 4?
Currently waiting for my fee waiver to process, so I can't access the actual supplemental application just yet :whistle:
They're both 2000 characters

huge congrats! do you mind sharing your stats? IS or OOS? and when you were complete?

OOS, 509 MCAT, 3.97 cGPA, 3.99 sGPA, Spanish minor, d1 athlete, come from another Jesuit university but not Loyola Chicago
Received secondary 7/6, submitted 7/13

Placing a little cautious doubt on it, especially on an anonymous forum where anyone could essentially say anything.

I can back them up, received my II on July 28th. So far only 45 have received them to my knowledge, so there's still plenty of II's to come!

Reactions: 2 users
how do you know Loyola already send out 45 II's?

I'd take that with a grain of salt. On the MSAR, Loyola has their first interviews being sent out on August 1st, 2017. Also, he seems to be a recently made account just to screw with people. 2 posts, 4 minutes apart talking about 2 different interview invites and nothing else.

Last edited:
They're both 2000 characters
Are you sure it's 2000 characters flat? I submitted with ~2500 characters on one of them and it looked like it wasn't cut off when I printed my application.

Does anybody know how many seats they overenrolled by this year? Will it affect this years class?