2017-2018 Loyola University - Chicago (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For #6, would taking a couple of gap years after completing undergrad count as a gap in education? I have been working and volunteering to gain more experience.
No, the gaps they're referring to are when they occur during your undergrad, not after.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Loyola is one of my top choices, but the secondary is taking me quite some time. Hopefully I'll be done by the end of this week!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my god Loyola is quick, sent in my primary yesterday and got a secondary back today

For # 2 where they ask to write about a personal or professional challenge. Do you guys think it's okay to talk about the struggles of being first-generation college student? or would this be considered an "academic issue"?

For # 2 where they ask to write about a personal or professional challenge. Do you guys think it's okay to talk about the struggles of being first-generation college student? or would this be considered an "academic issue"?
Personally, I feel that you could pull it off. However, it'd mean being careful not to go deep into the academic side of things.

Discuss the challenges of acclimating to campus life as well as the pushback first gens often receive from their families for pursuing a college education. I would definitely discuss this.

What are most of yall putting for #2 on the secondary? I can't think of a struggle i've gone thru recently that doesn't include academic in one way or another

So, I haven't yet received my secondary, and I'm unsure whether to pre-write or not. On one hand, I could have sworn Loyola was one of those schools that pre-screened. On the other, their website says:

"Candidates who complete the AMCAS primary application and select Stritch as an option to receive their primary will be sent the Stritch Supplemental Application."

So.... not sure. :yeahright:

So, I haven't yet received my secondary, and I'm unsure whether to pre-write or not. On one hand, I could have sworn Loyola was one of those schools that pre-screened. On the other, their website says:

"Candidates who complete the AMCAS primary application and select Stritch as an option to receive their primary will be sent the Stritch Supplemental Application."

So.... not sure. :yeahright:

Pretty sure everyone gets secondaries. They have one of the lower mcat/gpa combos of most MD schools, so you are probably fine.

They are really good ones to prewrite because they have a high character limit and cover the basic ones (diversity, challenge, what have you been doing, etc.). They have been my go to template for other essays.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Pretty sure everyone gets secondaries. They have one of the lower mcat/gpa combos of most MD schools, so you are probably fine.

They are really good ones to prewrite because they have a high character limit and cover the basic ones (diversity, challenge, what have you been doing, etc.). They have been my go to template for other essays.

Thank you!! I will get started... soon...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is #4 a place for non-traditionals to talk about what they have been doing since school has ended? I graduated over two years ago. I'm just a tad bit confused by the wording of that question.

If I recall the question is optional, right? It is just to bring AMCAS up-to-date, so for example you submitted on day 1 in early June but your school didn't give final grades yet, so that question allows you to input those pending grades.

TL;DR: Im an M4 who applied to medical school years ago. Ive answered commonly asked questions about Stritch below; reflect my input only.

Hey ya'll, an M4 at your service! Ive already answered some questions posed earlier in the forum, but since I've also received a few messages with lots of common questions, I figured I would post my responses here. Please keep in mind that these are my thoughts only and do not reflect the school's or other students' input. Also, my application cycle was years ago (with the 2-digit MCAT!).

• What in particular drew you to Loyola over a different school?
As soon as I received my acceptance, I withdrew my spots and interview invites from all other schools because Loyola was my #1 choice. There were 2 key factors for me: 1. distance: the commute is reasonable enough that I would be able to live at home and 2. The sense of community and support the administration gives its students (the biggest reason).
  • How have you liked your experience so far?
While every school has its shortcomings, I still believe Loyola was the right choice for me and it has felt like home. I was absolutely spot on with the feelings of community and support. But keep in mind, medical school is tough anywhere you go.
  • What would you say the biggest pros of the school are?
1. Resources: you can ask for anything from texts to borrow to suturing kits to tutoring. Furthermore, Ive been able to walk into any office of any faculty member to ask for help or advice or just chat.
1a. you can do research, start programs/clubs, and just about anything you want just by presenting the idea and asking for guidance
2. Humanism: they get you're a person with real needs, flaws, problems, etc. As a non-traditional student, Ive never had a problem with the school honoring my lifestyle and its non-academic obligations
2a. Rest is included in the curriculum. Even in M3 year, we get a week of vacation between every quarter!
3. they listen: the school and its curriculum are constantly evolving because they actively ask students for feedback and implement changes pretty quickly. For example, the organization of class material my M1 year is not the same as it is now.
4. reputation: loyola has far-reaching arms and impressive names that can help support students' goals
5. Facilities: really nice updated everything (even the bathrooms), Hines VA, and exposure to basically every subspecialty under one roof
  • Biggest cons?
1. grading system: We are on the honors-high pass-pass system which keeps exams stressful
2. Residency programs: we don't currently have some more popular specialties like Emergency Med, Family Med, PM&R for example. It eliminates home-field advantage for those of us who want to go into those fields, but it's never actually been a problem for our graduates.
3. Like most schools (I imagine), there are still some mandatory lectures/small groups -- those requirements can rub students the wrong way.
  • What is Loyola's curriculum in the pre-clinical and clinical years like? How are you graded?
I think Loyola's curriculum is very well structured.
M1: basic sciences and normal biological processes (biochem, anatomy, physiology, immunology, etc)
M2: Abnormal and Pathological disease processes (Pathology and Pharmacology are year-long and run concurrently. It's nice bc you learn the pathology and how to treat it at the same time).
M3: Core clerkships: Peds, Family, OB/Gyn, Psych, Neuro, Medicine, Surgery

Patient-Centered Medicine (PCM) is a year-long class required the first 3 years that teaches us about clinical skills and interacting with patients.
M4: Final graduation requirements like sub-internship, emergency med, electives

The grading scale above holds for all 4 years (some Pass/Fail exceptions like PCM)

· Is there early patient exposure?

Essentially, we get patient exposure from day 1. PCM requirements involve a step-wise approach to becoming a great clinician. You’ll start with standardized patients and mastering the patient interview to having to turn in written H&Ps and so on. You’ll also be paired with a physician and upperclass student as mentors so that you may observe and practice your patient interactions.

Frankly, Loyola students are praised for their patient interactions while on the Wards. #truth
  • Does the school support student involvement in community outreach activities? Is there a student run clinic where students can gain early patient care experience and practice clinical skills prior to 3rd and 4th year rotations?
We're a Jesuit University, we love community outreach! Community service is a requirement the first 2 years and can be fulfilled via Loyola-groups or outside of Loyola (Ive done both). We also do a lot of self-reflection.
NLVS Clinic: New Life Volunteering Society: Loyola University Chicago Health Sciences Division

· Is the school focused on helping the underserved?

There is tremendous emphasis on serving the underserved! Everything from volunteering at community clinics to rural and urban clerkship sites and even electives that place you in the middle of underserved populations. See Global health opportunities below.

• What type of clinical sites—ambulatory, private preceptors, private hospitals, rural settings, international—are available or required for clerkships? Are we required to do all our rotations at Loyola? Or does this school allow for students to do rotations at other institutions or internationally?
Loyola has clinical sites of all the above types. For required clerkships, site selection is done via lottery, so you rank your preference but can essentially end up anywhere. Ive done rotations at Loyola, Hines, 2 private practices, Ambulatory clinics and a community hospital. Further, I know of classmates who have gone to rural clinic and private hospital. Unfortunately, I do not believe we have international sites but we do have ISI (Ignatian Service Immersion: Loyola University Chicago Health Sciences Division).
  • Are there any opportunities in Global Health (classes, organizations, volunteer programs, etc)?
Chyea we have Global Health opportunities! You can even go for a concurrent MPH or an honors distinction on your dipoma (Master of Public Health Program: Loyola University Chicago Health Sciences Division). We also have various student orgs, but frankly if we dont have what you're looking for, you can start it! Ive initiated 2 programs during my time here.
  • How do students get assistance if an academic need arises?
We have 2 sources for academic assistance which work together depending on student's situation: Student Affairs and Academic Center for Excellence (ACE). Student Affairs basically makes sure you graduate and match, so they work with residency applications, visiting student apps, STEP exams, taking time off for health,etc. ACE helps with day-to-day academic success like studying techniques, tutoring, textbooks, etc.

· Are you happy with the way they help you with Step Exams?

This is very subjective. As I mention below, the traditional lecture style doesn’t work for me. But! I was happy with the fact that they honored my learning style and allowed me to use independent study time in the manner that worked best for me. FWIW, you get a free copy of First Aid for Steps 1 and 2 from ACE. Also, you do get a couple NBME practice tests for both Steps which I really appreciated.

• What does a typical day would look like during Years 1 and 2?
A typical day really depends on your learning style. If you learn best from traditional lecture, you may want to be on campus M-F 8-5pm. Otherwise, lectures are recorded so you can watch them at night and sleep during the day if you want. Personally, lecture-learning didnt suit me so I only went to campus for mandatory attendance things.
From what Im told now, M1 year is still very generous with free time. This allows students to shadow, volunteer, join clubs etc to get situated into the community and begin exploring their interests in medicine.
M2 year is much busier because you're starting to prep for Step 1 and M3 clerkships. Same concept goes with lectures though.
  • Are lectures usually in the morning or do classes typically run all day?
Lectures typically start in the morning, but end times depend on the day's agenda and also the faculty schedule. Remember many are currently-practicing physicians and thus have other obligations.
  • Is there a lot of PBL and small group learning, or is it mainly lecture-based?
There a good amount of small group/PBL integrated in the curriculum. Almost every class has some mandatory small group component, but there's still a majority of lecture (so lecture every day and small grp once weekly, for example). Naturally, we also make our own study groups. The 3rd and 4th floors of SSOM have first-come, first-serve study rooms with long tables, multiple chairs, dry-erase boards, etc that are always available.

· I have a family, are other students in the school with children?

Absolutely! I have a family myself and not only is the administration supportive but so are my classmates – they’re really great about accommodating the out-of-school obligations. Further, my classmates are in various places in their family-making lives – one classmate welcomed his first child 2 weeks ago, another took Step 1 while breastfeeding, and a handful got married over the summer.

· How was your interview experience? Any tips on how to best prepare for interview day? Seeing at how competitive Loyola is, what exactly do you think they are looking for? Do you have any tips on how you think you were admitted in terms of personal statement, secondary essay, etc? Any key words that they look for?

My personal interview experience was challenging, but awesome -- I was definitely asked some tough questions, but I must've done well because I was accepted in October.
clip_image002.png
Otherwise, they did a great job pairing me with an M1 with a similar background to give me a tour. I felt like I belonged there immediately.

While I never asked what they liked about my applications, essays, etc. I think the keys were that I addressed my shortcomings up front and owned them and I showed that I busted my butt to be competitive applicant.

I think what any school, including Loyola, is looking for is evident in their mission statement plus being a decent human being. It’s really that simple. If there were keywords, anyone could get an interview – it just doesn’t work that way.

My biggest pieces of advice for interview day:
1. Research the school -- you'll likely be asked "Why Loyola?"
2. Know your application! It's easy to look foolish when you dont remember what you wrote.
3. Be yourself. If you've been invited to interview, you're obviously academically worthy. It's the time to for you and Loyola to get to know each other and see if there's a fit.
4. Dont wear high heels -- flats/loafers/oxford/kitten heels are best

I hope that helped -- Best of luck!
Cheers!

Reactions: 11 users
TL;DR: Im an M4 who applied to medical school years ago. Ive answered commonly asked questions about Stritch below; reflect my input only.

Hey ya'll, an M4 at your service! Ive already answered some questions posed earlier in the forum, but since I've also received a few messages with lots of common questions, I figured I would post my responses here. Please keep in mind that these are my thoughts only and do not reflect the school's or other students' input. Also, my application cycle was years ago (with the 2-digit MCAT!).

As soon as I received my acceptance, I withdrew my spots and interview invites from all other schools because Loyola was my #1 choice. There were 2 key factors for me: 1. distance: the commute is reasonable enough that I would be able to live at home and 2. The sense of community and support the administration gives its students (the biggest reason).
While every school has its shortcomings, I still believe Loyola was the right choice for me and it has felt like home. I was absolutely spot on with the feelings of community and support. But keep in mind, medical school is tough anywhere you go.
1. Resources: you can ask for anything from texts to borrow to suturing kits to tutoring. Furthermore, Ive been able to walk into any office of any faculty member to ask for help or advice or just chat.
1a. you can do research, start programs/clubs, and just about anything you want just by presenting the idea and asking for guidance
2. Humanism: they get you're a person with real needs, flaws, problems, etc. As a non-traditional student, Ive never had a problem with the school honoring my lifestyle and its non-academic obligations
2a. Rest is included in the curriculum. Even in M3 year, we get a week of vacation between every quarter!
3. they listen: the school and its curriculum are constantly evolving because they actively ask students for feedback and implement changes pretty quickly. For example, the organization of class material my M1 year is not the same as it is now.
4. reputation: loyola has far-reaching arms and impressive names that can help support students' goals
5. Facilities: really nice updated everything (even the bathrooms), Hines VA, and exposure to basically every subspecialty under one roof
  • Biggest cons?
1. grading system: We are on the honors-high pass-pass system which keeps exams stressful
2. Residency programs: we don't currently have some more popular specialties like Emergency Med, Family Med, PM&R for example. It eliminates home-field advantage for those of us who want to go into those fields, but it's never actually been a problem for our graduates.
3. Like most schools (I imagine), there are still some mandatory lectures/small groups -- those requirements can rub students the wrong way.
  • What is Loyola's curriculum in the pre-clinical and clinical years like? How are you graded?
M1: basic sciences and normal biological processes (biochem, anatomy, physiology, immunology, etc)
M2: Abnormal and Pathological disease processes (Pathology and Pharmacology are year-long and run concurrently. It's nice bc you learn the pathology and how to treat it at the same time).

Patient-Centered Medicine (PCM) is a year-long class required the first 3 years that teaches us about clinical skills and interacting with patients.

The grading scale above holds for all 4 years (some Pass/Fail exceptions like PCM)

Essentially, we get patient exposure from day 1. PCM requirements involve a step-wise approach to becoming a great clinician. You’ll start with standardized patients and mastering the patient interview to having to turn in written H&Ps and so on. You’ll also be paired with a physician and upperclass student as mentors so that you may observe and practice your patient interactions.

Frankly, Loyola students are praised for their patient interactions while on the Wards. #truth
  • Does the school support student involvement in community outreach activities? Is there a student run clinic where students can gain early patient care experience and practice clinical skills prior to 3rd and 4th year rotations?
We're a Jesuit University, we love community outreach! Community service is a requirement the first 2 years and can be fulfilled via Loyola-groups or outside of Loyola (Ive done both). We also do a lot of self-reflection.
NLVS Clinic: New Life Volunteering Society: Loyola University Chicago Health Sciences Division

There is tremendous emphasis on serving the underserved! Everything from volunteering at community clinics to rural and urban clerkship sites and even electives that place you in the middle of underserved populations. See Global health opportunities below.

• What type of clinical sites—ambulatory, private preceptors, private hospitals, rural settings, international—are available or required for clerkships? Are we required to do all our rotations at Loyola? Or does this school allow for students to do rotations at other institutions or internationally?
Loyola has clinical sites of all the above types. For required clerkships, site selection is done via lottery, so you rank your preference but can essentially end up anywhere. Ive done rotations at Loyola, Hines, 2 private practices, Ambulatory clinics and a community hospital. Further, I know of classmates who have gone to rural clinic and private hospital. Unfortunately, I do not believe we have international sites but we do have ISI (Ignatian Service Immersion: Loyola University Chicago Health Sciences Division).
  • Are there any opportunities in Global Health (classes, organizations, volunteer programs, etc)?
Chyea we have Global Health opportunities! You can even go for a concurrent MPH or an honors distinction on your dipoma (Master of Public Health Program: Loyola University Chicago Health Sciences Division). We also have various student orgs, but frankly if we dont have what you're looking for, you can start it! Ive initiated 2 programs during my time here.
We have 2 sources for academic assistance which work together depending on student's situation: Student Affairs and Academic Center for Excellence (ACE). Student Affairs basically makes sure you graduate and match, so they work with residency applications, visiting student apps, STEP exams, taking time off for health,etc. ACE helps with day-to-day academic success like studying techniques, tutoring, textbooks, etc.

This is very subjective. As I mention below, the traditional lecture style doesn’t work for me. But! I was happy with the fact that they honored my learning style and allowed me to use independent study time in the manner that worked best for me. FWIW, you get a free copy of First Aid for Steps 1 and 2 from ACE. Also, you do get a couple NBME practice tests for both Steps which I really appreciated.

A typical day really depends on your learning style. If you learn best from traditional lecture, you may want to be on campus M-F 8-5pm. Otherwise, lectures are recorded so you can watch them at night and sleep during the day if you want. Personally, lecture-learning didnt suit me so I only went to campus for mandatory attendance things.
From what Im told now, M1 year is still very generous with free time. This allows students to shadow, volunteer, join clubs etc to get situated into the community and begin exploring their interests in medicine.
M2 year is much busier because you're starting to prep for Step 1 and M3 clerkships. Same concept goes with lectures though.
Lectures typically start in the morning, but end times depend on the day's agenda and also the faculty schedule. Remember many are currently-practicing physicians and thus have other obligations.
  • Is there a lot of PBL and small group learning, or is it mainly lecture-based?
There a good amount of small group/PBL integrated in the curriculum. Almost every class has some mandatory small group component, but there's still a majority of lecture (so lecture every day and small grp once weekly, for example). Naturally, we also make our own study groups. The 3rd and 4th floors of SSOM have first-come, first-serve study rooms with long tables, multiple chairs, dry-erase boards, etc that are always available.

Absolutely! I have a family myself and not only is the administration supportive but so are my classmates – they’re really great about accommodating the out-of-school obligations. Further, my classmates are in various places in their family-making lives – one classmate welcomed his first child 2 weeks ago, another took Step 1 while breastfeeding, and a handful got married over the summer.

· How was your interview experience? Any tips on how to best prepare for interview day? Seeing at how competitive Loyola is, what exactly do you think they are looking for? Do you have any tips on how you think you were admitted in terms of personal statement, secondary essay, etc? Any key words that they look for?

My personal interview experience was challenging, but awesome -- I was definitely asked some tough questions, but I must've done well because I was accepted in October.
clip_image002.png
Otherwise, they did a great job pairing me with an M1 with a similar background to give me a tour. I felt like I belonged there immediately.

While I never asked what they liked about my applications, essays, etc. I think the keys were that I addressed my shortcomings up front and owned them and I showed that I busted my butt to be competitive applicant.

I think what any school, including Loyola, is looking for is evident in their mission statement plus being a decent human being. It’s really that simple. If there were keywords, anyone could get an interview – it just doesn’t work that way.

2. Know your application! It's easy to look foolish when you dont remember what you wrote.
3. Be yourself. If you've been invited to interview, you're obviously academically worthy. It's the time to for you and Loyola to get to know each other and see if there's a fit.

Cheers!

• Biggest cons?

clip_image002.png

Cheers!

Whereabouts do you live and how long is your commute? I've been wondering if I could stay at home and just commute to save on expenses (I'm in the Romeoville area) and thanks for all the advice!

For the 500 word limit, does that mean they're expecting us to write 500 words. Would it look bad to write like 300?

Does Loyola send secondaries only post verification of primary? I've gotten secondaries from a handful of schools even though I'm still waiting on verification but Loyola is still absent. Anyone with some knowledge on that?

For the 500 word limit, does that mean they're expecting us to write 500 words. Would it look bad to write like 300?
Personally, I think the 500 word limit is for people who truly have a lot to say. I stuck to around 250-400 words for each prompt because I felt I still adequately answered the question. Hopefully they'll appreciate my conciseness among other long, droning essays :) quality over quantity!

Still waiting on a secondary here, even though I've been verified :/

Anyone know how strict the 2 paragraph maximum for each question is?

Does anyone know how I can view whether my application is complete? Where on the portal would it be?

If I'm recalling correctly, I believe I saw a disclaimer that mentioned viewing of the complete file wouldn't be possible after submitting the secondary.
Do you by chance see a message on your account that reads:

"We have received your secondary application, however, we are missing the necessary letter(s) to be uploaded to our system from AMCAS in order to complete your file. Please refer to your AMCAS application for more detailed information on their progress. If AMCAS is verifying receipt of all your letters, we should be receiving them with the next week."

If I'm recalling correctly, I believe I saw a disclaimer that mentioned viewing of the complete file wouldn't be possible after submitting the secondary.
Do you by chance see a message on your account that reads:

"We have received your secondary application, however, we are missing the necessary letter(s) to be uploaded to our system from AMCAS in order to complete your file. Please refer to your AMCAS application for more detailed information on their progress. If AMCAS is verifying receipt of all your letters, we should be receiving them with the next week."

If not, chances are the adcom has your completed file.

I just logged into the Stritch portal. There is a note at the top of my screen that reads, "Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine." Under that is a list of everything that was received by them regarding my application and the dates these materials were received. I would think this is considered complete.

Reactions: 2 users
I just logged into the Stritch portal. There is a note at the top of my screen that reads, "Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine." Under that is a list of everything that was received by them regarding my application and the dates these materials were received. I would think this is considered complete.

Ahh I guess they updated it this morning. My portal now says my file is undergoing a review. Thanks guys.

Anyone else just going with the 2 paragraph limit for their essays? I'm at ~200 words for each and I think I've answered the prompts sufficiently, anything more would just be embellishment.

Anyone else just going with the 2 paragraph limit for their essays? I'm at ~200 words for each and I think I've answered the prompts sufficiently, anything more would just be embellishment.
if you think you answered it, then you should be set! I doubt theyll be complaining haha. I just did max 2 paragraphs and probably like 300+ word count for one and 400+ for another one

I'm guessing these means my application is on hold.. does anyone else see this message / know what it means?

"Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."

I'm guessing these means my application is on hold.. does anyone else see this message / know what it means?

"Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."
My portal still says mine is under review. when did you submit?

+1

cGPA: 3.91, sGPA: 3.9, MCAT:506...just saw on MSAR that they sent out II starting Aug 1 so maybe we should start to expect seeing them then
we literally have the same stats. Hope you hear some good news from them soon!

Lol that status is terrifying. I'm sure it's just a placeholder until they start sending IIs though.

Random question: In your portal, do all have a date listed beside "primary application received"?

Do they send a "complete" email? I submitted my secondary and haven't received a thing since.
Nope, no email. Just log back into your secondary portal and it will tell you your status at the top in bold red.

Whereabouts do you live and how long is your commute? I've been wondering if I could stay at home and just commute to save on expenses (I'm in the Romeoville area) and thanks for all the advice!
I'm in Romeoville too and honestly if I get accepted and choose Loyola I would just move there or a surrounding area. Taking 55 would be killer if you chose to go on an 8-5 basis. My dad commutes and takes him at least an hour and a half considering peak traffic hours.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in Romeoville too and honestly if I get accepted and choose Loyola I would just move there or a surrounding area. Taking 55 would be killer if you chose to go on an 8-5 basis. My dad commutes and takes him at least an hour and a half considering peak traffic hours.
I worked at the University of Chicago for a summer internship and commuted there from Naperville for two months. The drive was the worst and it easily took an hour and a half or more everyday taking 55. I definitely would not recommend it.