2017-2018 Loyola University - Chicago (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It states "Supplemental materials recieved within 4-6 weeks of your initial login to the stritch school of medicine Supplemental application will recieved priority consideration"

It doesn't state exactly how fast priority is, on that you will recieved it if you submit within 4-6 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Ahh right, my mistake.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How are you enjoying Loyola? would you highly recommend it? thanks!

I enjoy Loyola very much and don't regret my decision to come here at all. I have made amazing friends and the professors here are, more often than not, wonderful and helpful. I think Loyola succeeds in truly making a supportive, caring community for the students and integrating them well into their roles in medicine even as early as first year (you will get to see actual patients a couple times first year and practice H&Ps!) If going somewhere with supportive people and going to a school with an emphasis on volunteering matters to you, Loyola will likely be a good fit!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
already submitted but i'm trying to remember if i paid their secondary fee. i can't find anything in my email, and when i go on the portal there's nothing about whether i paid it or not. was there a pay fee option before submitting the secondary or is there a 'paid fee' under the 'your application' checklist?

already submitted but i'm trying to remember if i paid their secondary fee. i can't find anything in my email, and when i go on the portal there's nothing about whether i paid it or not. was there a pay fee option before submitting the secondary or is there a 'paid fee' under the 'your application' checklist?
You had to pay before you could even access the secondary, if I remember correctly. So you most likely already paid it.

Well my shot at Stritch is over lol. I forgot to answer the second half of one my secondary questions :diebanana:

It said if you were a reapplicant state when and the improvements. I forgot to list the improvements :beat:

well...looks like you didn't improve your attention to detail :whistle:

i joke i joke! man that sucks, i hope your cycle this year is successful!

Reactions: 2 users
Did you all get complete emails from Loyola? I submitted my secondary weeks ago and just realized that I didn't get any email confirmation.

Did you all get complete emails from Loyola? I submitted my secondary weeks ago and just realized that I didn't get any email confirmation.
I didn't receive an email confirming it was complete, but the "Your Application" table on the portal shows the date when my entire Supplemental application was received and I have the status "Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't receive an email confirming it was complete, but the "Your Application" table on the portal shows the date when my entire Supplemental application was received and I have the status "Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."

Hope this helps!

Oh, I see. Thank you!

This whole "please keep your responses to two paragraphs" is kind of throwing me for a loop. They give you a 500 word limit but limit you to two paragraphs? I feel like I need a fair amount of words to answer the challenge question, but even though I'm well below 500 words, combining them into two paragraphs makes it difficult to read.

This whole "please keep your responses to two paragraphs" is kind of throwing me for a loop. They give you a 500 word limit but limit you to two paragraphs? I feel like I need a fair amount of words to answer the challenge question, but even though I'm well below 500 words, combining them into two paragraphs makes it difficult to read.

Had that problem too, so I reworded several things to make it clear that I was trying to make a main point in each paragraph

How are you liking your experiences their so far?

I absolutely love it. Granted, med school isn't easy, we have our second exam on Monday, and I'm stressed. But overall, I'm really happy. The administration is extremely supportive, and there are multiple ways to get tutoring/support. My classmates are, on the whole, fantastic. They're all a wonderful mix of friendly, quirky and supportive. I also think the school does a great job of easing you into school, making sure everyone has a really solid foundation to build on. I've heard stories of other friends in med school where they just throw you straight into the deepend, which I can't even imagine given the quantity of information that's expected of you.

TL;DR: I love it. Great support, great students.

If you have specific questions etc feel free to PM me. That way I'll get an email notification. Otherwise I don't check SDN that much anymore :)

anyone have news on recent II's? Looking at last years thread and it seems to be a bit slow right now!

Haha I botched it and two of my essays are 530 words I'll probably be rejected now

Haha I botched it and two of my essays are 530 words I'll probably be rejected now

They likely won't look that closely. It'd be a different story if the portal cut off your responses at 500 words unknowingly, lol.

Finally submitted my secondary. Am I too late? Lol. I worked hard on those essays, I promise!

Thinking about applying here, but not sure...for those of you applying here and who are not residents of Illinois, why would you want to come here to the midwest?

Thinking about applying here, but not sure...for those of you applying here and who are not residents of Illinois, why would you want to come here to the midwest?

1) I grew up in the Midwest (reasonably close to family)
2) I really love the people, opportunities, variety of living in the Midwest
3) Our missions align
4) I want to experience living in another large metro area (I have gotten to live in a few so far)

EDIT: I also have fond memories of visiting Illinois semi-often when I was younger

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Anyone else, particularly people who have no ties to Illinois?

Interview invite via email this afternoon!

received secondary 7/06 and submitted 7/07 (pre-wrote months ago as this is one of my top choices)

OOS
mcat 505-510 range with ~3.7 gpa

dates offered: sept 9 and sept 12

remain positive guys!

edit: refreshed and found the tab

Last edited:
@abriA0 Yep, got the e-mail about 40 minutes ago.
I also want to note that I'm a re-applicant here. Last time (2015-2016 cycle) I was rejected pre-II.

@abriA0 Yep, got the e-mail about 40 minutes ago.
I also want to note that I'm a re-applicant here. Last time (2015-2016 cycle) I was rejected pre-II.

Amazing. Congratulations! I am also a reapplicant here. Lizzy M 68. Submitted 7/9
Did you significantly change your application from last cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well my shot at Stritch is over lol. I forgot to answer the second half of one my secondary questions :diebanana:
Honestly, I've come to realize that these adcoms are pretty unpredictable. So maybe you've still got a shot. During the interview tell them you reserved the second half of the question strictly for the occasion lolololol!

Personally, I feel that there's a major shift in pace and scenery between the Midwest and the South. And for some years now, Illinois has been one of the states I've considered residing in.

Does anyone know what the interview format is?

This is my first II!
LizzyM 67.5, ORM, OOS
Scheduled for 9/7
Extremely excited and thankful

Interview invite via email this afternoon!

received secondary 7/06 and submitted 7/07 (pre-wrote months ago as this is one of my top choices)

OOS
mcat 505-510 range with ~3.7 gpa

dates offered: sept 9 and sept 12

remain positive guys!

edit: refreshed and found the tab

When did you guys complete?

@abriA0 Thank you! :) And yes I definitely did. I barely had any community service last time - this time I applied with 700+ hours. I also got better letters of rec and beefed up both my clinical and research experiences.
@Coloradonative*90 I was complete 7/14

Does anyone know what the interview format is?
Orientation
Interview 1
Interview 2
Lunch
Tour
Class/Presentation

You might have the second session also where everything is switched and you have a class and tour before lunch. Then interviews after

Orientation
Interview 1
Interview 2
Lunch
Tour
Class/Presentation

You might have the second session also where everything is switched and you have a class and tour before lunch. Then interviews after
Thank you! Do we know if the interview is one-on-one?

Better late than never! I'm sure applicants will be sending in their primaries here well into September.

If your just submitting your primaries not make sure you have all the secondaries pre-written before your primary gets verified. So you can just submit secondaries as soon as you get them.

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you with IIs how long was your application status "undergoing review by committee" before you got an interview invite?

I recently interviewed here. My experience was very positive and did not feel very stressful at all. Everyone was welcoming and engaging, and made the day very meaningful. This was my first interview so I am glad to have gotten the season going with a good start.

The students seem to like it here. You can tell with how they speak and what they say.

Reactions: 3 users
They definitely have had several interview dates. Looks like people getting them aren't on SDN...

I heard that the early interviews went to people with guaranteed interviews from their grad school programs, so that might be why