2017-2018 Indiana University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got invited to interview! What percentage of interviewees are accepted? I'm in-state and went to IUPUI
Based on the MSAR, 463 IS students were interviewed and 258 matriculated. ~56%.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Letter received today!! Woohoo!! IN resident

Congra!

It appears that you are only one of the two people so far as IN STATE accepted from this forum.
May I ask if you are early decision and when were you interviewed?

Nothing in the mail today.. pretty bummed, but I suppose always still a chance tomorrow?
Definitely a chance tomorrow. By the way I remember your post about your stats + ECs. As long as you didn't botch your interview I would be very surprised if they didn't accept you. Keep your head high! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Congra!

It appears that you are only one of the two people so far as IN STATE accepted from this forum.
May I ask if you are early decision and when were you interviewed?

Not early decision, interviewed 9/6! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea how to go about ranking these campuses... got the email today

Incredibly oversimplified and probably biased, but here's my take:

Indianapolis - large metropolitan area. 15th largest city in the US. LOTS of housing options. City life. All MD/PhD students are here. Largest campus by # of students.

Bloomington, Lafayette, Munice, South Bend - Large college campuses (IU, Purdue, Ball State, Notre Dame). Bloomington, South Bend, and Lafayette (to a degree) are college towns. Muncie would appear more "run-down" than others. Friends at ball state used to say they "avoided leaving campus"

Northwest (aka Gary) - Close to Chicago. Large sections of city are run-down, but affordable housing, close to lake Michigan. bad reputation for crime, but it has its bright spots. Lake Michigan can be beautiful in the warm months.

Evansville - Up and coming (according to those who live there). Brand new medical school building. In Southern Indiana on border with Kentucky and close to Illinois.

Fort Wayne - Beginning to see more development. Very affordable housing. City of ~250K people. Close to Ohio and Michigan.

Terre Haute - Rural Medicine program is here. Close to Illinois border. Large manufacturing and factory town. low air quality has been noted by several friends who are current students. "it always smells bad here" quoted one recently.

EDIT: Indy is now 15th largest city in US, not 17th

Last edited:
Incredibly oversimplified and probably biased, but here's my take:

Indianapolis - large metropolitan area. 15th largest city in the US. LOTS of housing options. City life. All MD/PhD students are here. Largest campus by # of students.

Bloomington, Lafayette, Munice, South Bend - Large college campuses (IU, Purdue, Ball State, Notre Dame). Bloomington, South Bend, and Lafayette (to a degree) are college towns. Muncie would appear more "run-down" than others. Friends at ball state used to say they "avoided leaving campus"

Northwest (aka Gary) - Close to Chicago. Large sections of city are run-down, but affordable housing, close to lake Michigan. bad reputation for crime, but it has its bright spots. Lake Michigan can be beautiful in the warm months.

Evansville - Up and coming (according to those who live there). Brand new medical school building. In Southern Indiana on border with Kentucky and close to Illinois.

Fort Wayne - Beginning to see more development. Very affordable housing. City of ~250K people. Close to Ohio and Michigan.

Terre Haute - Rural Medicine program is here. Close to Illinois border. Large manufacturing and factory town. low air quality has been noted by several friends who are current students. "it always smells bad here" quoted one recently.

EDIT: Indy is now 15th largest city in US, not 17th
Wow, super helpful!! Do you know how many students are on each campus? Indy is 100 something, South Bend is about 25...?

Shouldn't it just be your AMCAS ID and birth date?
I tried that, but after I log in with AMCAS ID and bday it says that I should "enter my IU Network Credentials" to proceed. My IU network ID is my first initial and then my last name

I tried that, but after I log in with AMCAS ID and bday it says that I should "enter my IU Network Credentials" to proceed. My IU network ID is my first initial and then my last name
I just established my IU network ID and password today, and then I think it will take up to 5 business days for me to be able to log in. Then I can rank campuses?

Wow, super helpful!! Do you know how many students are on each campus? Indy is 100 something, South Bend is about 25...?

Last year Indy was about 180+....and SB was 32, I think increased from 23 two years ago [25 originally. and 2 dropped out the very last min]

Thanks! So are all the satellite campuses roughly the same class size?

I don't know the exact numbers....

But the total, 2 years ago of ~ 380+.

Dividing by 9 campus...

380 - [indy 180] - [SB 30] - [Bltgn 30] = 140

140 / 6 = 23.

Possible SB and Bltgn are the two largest of about 30 and the rest of 6 about range of 26 to 20.
I am leaning towards 25 to 22.

Thanks! So are all the satellite campuses roughly the same class size?

I don't know the exact numbers....

But the total, 2 years ago of ~ 380+.

Dividing by 9 campus...

380 - [indy 180] - [SB 30] - [Bltgn 30] = 140

140 / 6 = 23.

Possible SB and Bltgn are the two largest of about 30 and the rest of 6 about range of 26 to 20.
I am leaning towards 25 to 22.

I found this fact sheet of how many students were at each campus last year. Rough estimates would be each number divided by four, but could vary if class sizes have changed from the times the MS4 were MS1s. I am currently waiting on a post-interview decision, which wont be until next month, but I have been looking at campuses to be optimistic and prepared!

Attachments

• Campus Populations.JPG
    Campus Populations.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: 1 users
I found this fact sheet of how many students were at each campus last year. Rough estimates would be each number divided by four, but could vary if class sizes have changed from the times the MS4 were MS1s. I am currently waiting on a post-interview decision, which wont be until next month, but I have been looking at campuses to be optimistic and prepared!

When was your II?

has anyone gone to the post interview mixer? if so, how was it?

Has anyone been able to log in using their IU credentials yet? I want to submit my rankings...

Rejected today (pre-II). LM ~70 and OOS. Good luck to everyone still in the process!

So for those of us who havent heard back yet, we either hear back next week or last week of November?

So for those of us who havent heard back yet, we either hear back next week or last week of November?
We'll hear the middle of next month or December, January, February, March... I think they start waitlisting in April.

Can anyone who has interviewed give insight to the interview day and what to expect? Still waiting on my interview date to be emailed to me, but wanted to start preparing!

Did anybody else check their status lately? Mine changed form "In Process" to "Under Consideration" yesterday... not sure if this is a good sign or is irrelevant...

Can anyone who has interviewed give insight to the interview day and what to expect? Still waiting on my interview date to be emailed to me, but wanted to start preparing!
Definitely do your homework in their core competencies. Pretty sure they will ask you what some of them mean to you, so try not saying the exact same thing you read. They are pretty direct with the questions. So just relax and be yourself and you should be fine. Also, make sure you also say what you are passionate about and how you think you are a good fit given the school's mission, etc..

Did anybody else check their status lately? Mine changed form "In Process" to "Under Consideration" yesterday... not sure if this is a good sign or is irrelevant...

Just means you have interviewed and are eligible for review by committee

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reject this morning pre II, LM 68, OOS, completed mid-September. Oh well. That is the past. Good luck future MDs at Indiana.

Just got rejected pre-II. OOS with no ties, LM 70. Complete maybe mid September (applied in august but they never marked me complete for a long time I don't know why).

Just got rejected pre-II. OOS with no ties, LM 70. Complete maybe mid September (applied in august but they never marked me complete for a long time I don't know why).

Sorry to hear that!

Did you get the rejection this morning? When the email time stamped, may I ask?