2017-2018 Indiana University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tried to send an update but they said they are only receptive to updates sent via snail mail. Complete early august and still havent heard anything.

Members don't see this ad.

So they are 2:1 or 1:1 or just varies for people? Also, what was the approximate length (30,45,60 etc)?

So they are 2:1 or 1:1 or just varies for people? Also, what was the approximate length (30,45,60 etc)?
Mine was a 2:1. I had a M.D. and a Ph.D. from the regional campus I interviewed at. The interview lasted +/- 40-45 minutes, but it really felt like less. They really are trying to get to know the applicant as well as possible by just having a normal conversation, so that they can put a good narrative with file they send to Indy for the admissions board to review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was a 2:1. I had a M.D. and a Ph.D. from the regional campus I interviewed at. The interview lasted +/- 40-45 minutes, but it really felt like less. They really are trying to get to know the applicant as well as possible by just having a normal conversation, so that they can put a good narrative with file they send to Indy for the admissions board to review.

Thanks, just doin a little prep. Seems like it could be a hard interview with the sheer volume of info with all of the regional campuses in combo with the fact I didn't have to do any research for the secondary. Gonna study up on their competencies now!

Sent an update (changed my email) and they sent a confirmation and then 30 seconds later sent a rejection. Old email wasnt getting messages so may have gotten rejected earlier this cycle. Not too bummed or surprised. Good luck everybody!

I'm coming up on 5 weeks since I received an II and I have yet to get my interview date. I turned around the application same day and everything has been checked off for weeks. At what point is it appropriate to panic?

I'm coming up on 5 weeks since I received an II and I have yet to get my interview date. I turned around the application same day and everything has been checked off for weeks. At what point is it appropriate to panic?

With 9 campus, the front office is very busy.
I have not check, but assume if they are having interview today, the 8th, then the best case shall be having one more on Nov 22.
It is still possible you can get on the Nov 22 train if you get response from them within a day or so.......but it is kind of unlikely because it is only 10 working days from today.
IU usually does not setup so close.

They don't do interview in Dec. So, if not Nov, the earliest for the folks who have not assigned interview dates yet probably get it for Jan, 2018 on down. That may explain why they have not respond to you yet because they are BUSY doing something in higher priority first. They probably send out another round of interview dates either late Nov or early Dec for those at Jan 2018.

I know they're having one next Wednesday (the 15th) too. Unfortunately, I think with now being the peak of the cycle, it's just taking a lot longer to organize II's and stuff. I got my date ~2 weeks after being invited, but I also was invited early like back in August.

OK. The interview dates for Nov would have been/be 1st and 15th then.
So, for those folks who have not heard back on the interview dates....very highly likely shall hear back either late Nov or early Dec for the Jan on down ones since, from what I understand, there are no interviews in Dec.

Why is that the case that they don't interview in December? Just wondering!

1) For the "traditional" huge school like IU, the committee members have their other responsibilities (in school and hospitals) that is different from some "new" schools setup.
2) The committee use Dec to catch up the reviews for those who had been interviewed (late Sept, Oct, Nov).

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected today. Complete email received sept 11. OOS. LM 72-74

Members don't see this ad :)
With 9 campus, the front office is very busy.
I have not check, but assume if they are having interview today, the 8th, then the best case shall be having one more on Nov 22.
It is still possible you can get on the Nov 22 train if you get response from them within a day or so.......but it is kind of unlikely because it is only 10 working days from today.
IU usually does not setup so close.

They don't do interview in Dec. So, if not Nov, the earliest for the folks who have not assigned interview dates yet probably get it for Jan, 2018 on down. That may explain why they have not respond to you yet because they are BUSY doing something in higher priority first. They probably send out another round of interview dates either late Nov or early Dec for those at Jan 2018.

They’re definitely a very busy office, but it’s still nerve wracking and stressful to be kept waiting for so long. Can see why OP is freaking out a bit.

OK. The interview dates for Nov would have been/be 1st and 15th then.
So, for those folks who have not heard back on the interview dates....very highly likely shall hear back either late Nov or early Dec for the Jan on down ones since, from what I understand, there are no interviews in Dec.

They had an interview day yesterday on 11/08. Not sure how the dates work out.

Hey guys! What in the world did you all do for your 3 x 5 photos. I have tried 8 different locations and nada.

Hey guys! What in the world did you all do for your 3 x 5 photos. I have tried 8 different locations and nada.
I just gave them an old passport photo of mine and she said It was ok. I didn’t have time to get a new one. However, most people just do a 4x6’ and then cut it to 3x5 with scissors. Don’t stress too much over it. :)

@havblues I will most likely be doing that tomorrow. I leave for Indiana on Tuesday, so I was freaking out. Thank you so much.

If I interviewed October 11, will I hear back within the next 2 weeks if I am accepted?

Reactions: 2 users
It is possible you may hear back this month (typically a few days after the 15th of every month).

But, after reading through past year's forums, it was not uncommon for someone to interview in September or October and not hear back until as late as February or March.

I interviewed in September and had my hopes super high around October 15th, only to not get a letter. So, my mindset going forward is to just look forward to the 15th of every month but to be realistic and less stressed about the process. We will eventually get our good news, patience is key through this whole cycle or else we'll all go crazy!
Sept? Hmmm....
May I ask:
1) Are you OOS or Instate?
2) Individual GPA and MCAT?
Thanks,

Hello all! If anyone is interviewing this Wednesday and wants to split any taxis or anything, let me know. Interviewing is a lot more expensive than I thought. Silly me.

Admission committee doesn’t meet in November, so don’t be too worried if you don’t hear back this month.

In all seriousness, though, they meet on the 15th of every month (assuming that the date does not fall on a weekend) and letters are postmarked on the 16th. I was told during my interview that it was likely I would hear back this month. They don't typically hold interviews during the month of December, so maybe this is what you're thinking of? Past years' threads should corroborate this (edited to include this statement).

Reactions: 2 users
In all seriousness, though, they meet on the 15th of every month (assuming that the date does not fall on a weekend) and letters are postmarked on the 16th. I was told during my interview that it was likely I would hear back this month. They don't typically hold interviews during the month of December, so maybe this is what you're thinking of? Past years' threads should corroborate this (edited to include this statement).
what date was your interview may I ask?

what date was your interview may I ask?

Back in October, though it was a comment directed to me, specifically. Not sure that it can be generalized to everyone who interviewed last month. Was stating this to refute the above post regarding the committee not meeting in November.

Where did you hear that?

I interviewed last Wednesday and the person said during the information session they meet once a month and they don’t meet in November because of thanksgiving.

Edit: It was right before the student panel. I don’t remember the woman’s name who said it, but she showed us a video about why attend IU then had a quick power point about IU, gpas and mcat scores, campus information and then at the end an admissions timeline. She mentioned October 15th being a date people look at because of early decision, but since we’re all regular now it doesn’t matter. She said they don’t use the typical rolling admission because they don’t fill all their seats at the first adcom meeting like they could. That’s why she said it might take some time for us to hear back because they meet once a month and don’t meet in November.

Last edited:
Back in October, though it was a comment directed to me, specifically. Not sure that it can be generalized to everyone who interviewed last month. Was stating this to refute the above post regarding the committee not meeting in November.

Anyone who interviewed last Wednesday at Indy can tell you that we were told that the committee doesn’t meet in November. I don’t gain anything by saying that they don’t meet, it’s means I have to wait until December or even January to hear back.

I interviewed last Wednesday and the person said during the information session they meet once a month and they don’t meet in November because of thanksgiving.

Edit: It was right before the student panel. I don’t remember the woman’s name who said it, but she showed us a video about why attend IU then had a quick power point about IU, gpas and mcat scores, campus information and then at the end an admissions timeline. She mentioned October 15th being a date people look at because of early decision, but since we’re all regular now it doesn’t matter. She said they don’t use the typical rolling admission because they don’t fill all their seats at the first adcom meeting like they could. That’s why she said it might take some time for us to hear back because they meet once a month and don’t meet in November.

I hear ya, and no worries. I hope that this isn't the case though; I would like to have news one way or the other.

Last edited:
I think everyone is correct: I was told at my interview that the committee meets at the end of the month to review candidates who were interviewed in that month and prior months. October interviewees were reviewed toward the end of October so there's a chance those people could hear back late this week or next. Due to Thanksgiving, November folks may be reviewed in December. But who the hell knows.

Reactions: 4 users
Based on last year's thread people were accepted in November, so I will still keep an eye out

Reactions: 1 users
My interpretation is that they send out notifications on the 15th of each month so i think people will still get accepted this month, they might just not review newly interviewed people this month. But people from previous months like October and September may hear back

Reactions: 3 users
It's officially been a month since I received my interview notification email. To those who have interviewed, how long did it take for them to send you your interview date?

It's officially been a month since I received my interview notification email. To those who have interviewed, how long did it take for them to send you your interview date?
I'm about 6 weeks out from when I received notification, and I don't have a date yet. Others earlier in the cycle heard back within a couple of weeks. From the conversation earlier in the thread, we probably won't have an interview until the new year, since there are no dates in December. I'm guessing the long wait time is just due to that, and we'll hopefully get a date end of this month or early December.

I heard back right around a month later. My friend heard back around 5 weeks later.

Rejected pre-II, via email, app received notification 10/3.

The important thing is that we're all talking. :p

My roommates father is on the admissions board - Dr. Smallwood. He asked his dad, and his dad told him, for my sake, that the admissions committee takes a break for the holidays. This includes November, December, and the first part of January. He said that if you interviewed November you should not expect to hear back until possibly February or March, if not a little later simply due to the insane amount of applicants to be reviewed. Sorry to rain on some people's parade, but don't get your hopes up! Hopefully most everyone has had more than one school interested in them so they can take their mind off of IU's admission process. I had a September II, IS, cGPA 4.0, sGPA 4.0, MCAT 518. I was told at my interview that most IS applicants need to have at least a 507 for an interview, but the admissions committee doesn't give immediate, or high consideration to anyone unless they have a 510 or higher. GOOD LUCK to everyone waiting to hear anything!!!!

My roommates father is on the admissions board - Dr. Smallwood. He asked his dad, and his dad told him, for my sake, that the admissions committee takes a break for the holidays. This includes November, December, and the first part of January. He said that if you interviewed November you should not expect to hear back until possibly February or March, if not a little later simply due to the insane amount of applicants to be reviewed. Sorry to rain on some people's parade, but don't get your hopes up! Hopefully most everyone has had more than one school interested in them so they can take their mind off of IU's admission process. I had a September II, IS, cGPA 4.0, sGPA 4.0, MCAT 518. I was told at my interview that most IS applicants need to have at least a 507 for an interview, but the admissions committee doesn't give immediate, or high consideration to anyone unless they have a 510 or higher. GOOD LUCK to everyone waiting to hear anything!!!!
Just curious, is the 507 in-state rule a new thing for this year? I know several people who've gotten in as in-states in previous years with below a 507 and average GPAs. I have a 507 and I'm in-state and I was interviewed the very first week. Does this mean I won't hear back for awhile?
EDIT: Just re-read your post and realized you said "Most" regarding in-state applicants and interviews. Haha

I noticed you said if you interviewed in November you wouldn't hear back February or MArch, do you know the likelihood of hearing back sooner if you were in an October interview?

From last year's thread, there were plenty of people who got in with a sub 500 MCAT who were in state, there were also plenty of people who got accepted, November through January, maybe they have already decided who will get in these next few months and will send them out accordingly

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed Oct. 4th, and I am still waiting for a response as well. Hopefully I hear something this month!

I'm not sure about October's interviewees; only time will tell. In terms of the "507 rule," my roommates father said that this was on average the type of applicant they were looking for IN GENERAL for interviews. Obviously they look below and above this. But, it could be part of their new curriculum...not sure. I doubt they have decided on the people for November yet, so as I said before, probably February or March. I have never heard of IU accepting sub 500 MCATs...maybe if there is some mythological IU DO school that I am unaware of, but I'm pretty sure thats just called Marian. I know that letters go out tomorrow, but I have learned to expect nothing. The admissions board seems quite like Merlin the Wizard, mysterious and untouchable. Again, GOOD LUCK to everyone.

I'm not sure about October's interviewees; only time will tell. In terms of the "507 rule," my roommates father said that this was on average the type of applicant they were looking for IN GENERAL for interviews. Obviously they look below and above this. But, it could be part of their new curriculum...not sure. I doubt they have decided on the people for November yet, so as I said before, probably February or March. I have never heard of IU accepting sub 500 MCATs...maybe if there is some mythological IU DO school that I am unaware of, but I'm pretty sure thats just called Marian. I know that letters go out tomorrow, but I have learned to expect nothing. The admissions board seems quite like Merlin the Wizard, mysterious and untouchable. Again, GOOD LUCK to everyone.
By sub 500 I meant like 505-508 range, there are so many acceptance posts from people last year that got accepted with an MCAT score around that range

By sub 500 I meant like 505-508 range, there are so many acceptance posts from people last year that got accepted with an MCAT score around that range
hm. thats interesting. you know, thats interesting. "sub-" usually, meaning always, means below. So, "sub" 500 means 472-499.

The lowest MCAT accepted last year that I saw was a 501.

hm. thats interesting. you know, thats interesting. "sub-" usually, meaning always, means below. So, "sub" 500 means 472-499.
Hmm, maybe you should change your name to the***holepremed

Reactions: 4 users