2017-2018 Georgetown University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is Georgetown full then? Seems a lot of people got waitlisted recently and haven't heard of any acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got off the waitlist two weeks ago, so it should be moving? Probably?
Congratulations! When did you attend the Interview? Did you get a call from the SoM? We all in the WL love to get the same end result soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!! :) How long did it take to hear of your acceptance after your last update'??

What? I didn't get accepted. I'm still waitlisted but it seemed a round of people got waitlisted and there were no acceptance my round so I'm guessing G-town is full...

Interviewed 12/12, accepted last week!! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone get their financial aid info yet? What about scholarships... anybody have one?

I just submitted my FAFSA, but realized Georgetown’s deadline was January 1..... how bad is this?

I just submitted my FAFSA, but realized Georgetown’s deadline was January 1..... how bad is this?
You’re absolutely fine. I don’t know why schools put FAFSA deadlines that early, many people don’t even know what school they will be interviewing at or accepted at by then (and you can only add 10 schools to FAFSA).

I’m pretty sure it’s just an arbitrary date set by gtown. You should be good— they know their students need financial aid Haha

Reactions: 1 user
ACCEPTANCE CALL JUST NOW!!! I started sobbing on the phone! I interviewed 2/1. Good luck to everyone!! :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted on Friday!!! Interviewed 1/24. I was snowboarding on vacation at the time so I did not pick up the call.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted last Friday :D Interviewed 2/5.

Reactions: 3 users
Has there been any recent waitlist movement? If I were to submit a letter of intent now, would it be considered late for this cycle?

Has there been any recent waitlist movement? If I were to submit a letter of intent now, would it be considered late for this cycle?

I can't speak to WL movement, but how many updates/interest letters have you sent Gtown? On my interview day back in September, they made it pretty clear that LOInterest/Intent are welcome anytime from December - early May and that up to 5 updates/letters are welcome. I think a strong LOIntent goes a long way here and most definitely wouldn't be considered late if sent now.

If you are still waiting to hear back after your interview, do you think an update letter would be better sent before a decision or should I save it in the case that I could be waitlisted

If you are still waiting to hear back after your interview, do you think an update letter would be better sent before a decision or should I save it in the case that I could be waitlisted
I sent one before the decision. Just send it now IMO. If you get waitlisted then just send another. The more the better here.

I contacted financial aid because I was concerned that MyAccess indicated they hadn't received my financial aid application yet; they informed me that they are currently working through all the applications and that MyAccess will be updated once your award is determined. There should also be an email stating when it's available.

Current MS1 students, any input of when waitlist acceptances start coming out??

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys does anyone know if this school gives any merit aid and if they ever have? And if so, how much? I got a substantial amount of money elsewhere and would only really consider this school if they could come somewhat close to that. Not sure I want to play the WL game but I would if there was a chance. Thanks!

Hey guys does anyone know if this school gives any merit aid and if they ever have? And if so, how much? I got a substantial amount of money elsewhere and would only really consider this school if they could come somewhat close to that. Not sure I want to play the WL game but I would if there was a chance. Thanks!

My guess is that you would be unlikely to receive merit aid if you're on the waitlist as they have other candidates that they value more.

My guess is that you would be unlikely to receive merit aid if you're on the waitlist as they have other candidates that they value more.
That's what common sense would tell you, but med schools actually offer scholarships to WL people all the time to sway them last minute. My cousin was accepted off of WashU's wl a couple years ago and got offered a full scholarship shortly thereafter.

Does this school usually return admissions decisions in 8-10 week timeframe or do they lag?

Any accepted students receive a financial aid package yet?

Any accepted students receive a financial aid package yet?

Nope! Nothing yet

Also, any one want to tell me the new MSAR stats for Georgetown? I'm curious and don't want to pay for MSAR again

Nope! Nothing yet

Also, any one want to tell me the new MSAR stats for Georgetown? I'm curious and don't want to pay for MSAR again
MCAT for accepted students is now 513 and total GPA is 3.80. I forgot what it was previously...

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone who interviewed in January still waiting to hear a decision?

Anyone know if there is a facebook page for accepted students? Searched this thread but couldn't find it. Thanks!
i was about to ask the same question... i dont think so! but i hope they make one soon (maybe after second look day?). i want to figure out my housing arrangements!

Anyone have the 2018 match list?

I don't think they've posted the complete list yet but via their website:
BY THE NUMBERS
Applicants participating in the Main Residency Match according to the National Resident Matching Program: 37,103*

Available positions in the match: 33,167*

Available first-year positions: 30,232 (1,383 more positions than in 2017)

Percentage of GU School of Medicine students who matched: 94% (meaning ~12 students didn't match)

Percentage of U.S. MD applicants who matched: 94%

Percentage of students who matched with one of the top 10 programs in their specialty: 19%

Percentage of students who matched with one of the top 25 programs in their specialty: 44%

Most popular specialties among School of Medicine students who matched:

• Internal medicine: 28 (21.4% of students matched with one of the top 10 programs in the country)
  • Anesthesiology: 22 (32% of students matched with one of the top 10 programs)
  • Orthopedics: 19 (11% of students matched with one of the top 10 programs)
  • Pediatrics: 18 (39% of students matched with one of the top 10 programs)
  • Emergency medicine: 17 (12% of students matched with one of the top 10 programs)
Most popular destinations for students who matched:

• New York State (33 students)
  • District of Columbia (29)
  • California (22)
  • Maryland (12)
  • Pennsylvania (11)
Number of states where School of Medicine students matched: 30 and the District of Columbia

Number of lives School of Medicine students will impact throughout their careers: countless!

* denotes new record

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think they've posted the complete list yet but via their website:
BY THE NUMBERS
Applicants participating in the Main Residency Match according to the National Resident Matching Program: 37,103*

Available positions in the match: 33,167*

Available first-year positions: 30,232 (1,383 more positions than in 2017)

Percentage of GU School of Medicine students who matched: 94% (meaning ~12 students didn't match)

Percentage of U.S. MD applicants who matched: 94%

Percentage of students who matched with one of the top 10 programs in their specialty: 19%

Percentage of students who matched with one of the top 25 programs in their specialty: 44%

Most popular specialties among School of Medicine students who matched:

• Internal medicine: 28 (21.4% of students matched with one of the top 10 programs in the country)
  • Anesthesiology: 22 (32% of students matched with one of the top 10 programs)
  • Orthopedics: 19 (11% of students matched with one of the top 10 programs)
  • Pediatrics: 18 (39% of students matched with one of the top 10 programs)
  • Emergency medicine: 17 (12% of students matched with one of the top 10 programs)
Most popular destinations for students who matched:

• New York State (33 students)
  • District of Columbia (29)
  • California (22)
  • Maryland (12)
  • Pennsylvania (11)
Number of states where School of Medicine students matched: 30 and the District of Columbia

Number of lives School of Medicine students will impact throughout their careers: countless!

* denotes new record

12 seems like a pretty hefty number of students to have gone unmatched..

12 seems like a pretty hefty number of students to have gone unmatched..
Ive been told that this is usually attributed to those who choose to do MD/MPH or MD/JD.

Ive been told that this is usually attributed to those who choose to do MD/MPH or MD/JD.
Also a couple students probably chose to do a research year for competitive residencies

Also a couple students probably chose to do a research year for competitive residencies

I'm no professional statistician, but why include these individuals in the percentage who "don't match"? Not that I'm overly concerned though. Even if 10 or so individuals did attempt to match and didn't make the cut, for a class of ~200 it would be expected that a few were overly ambitious with residency selections and one or two just don't have the Step scores.

I'm no professional statistician, but why include these individuals in the percentage who "don't match"? Not that I'm overly concerned though. Even if 10 or so individuals did attempt to match and didn't make the cut, for a class of ~200 it would be expected that a few were overly ambitious with residency selections and one or two just don't have the Step scores.
No idea. I’m just a messenger.

Current MS1 students, any input of when waitlist acceptances start coming out??
Sorry for the late reply, we've been in a two week testing block.

From my experience (accepted off the WL) and talking with a lot of people in my class coming from the same situation (there are A LOT of us) we all got the call either the first or second week of May. I know GU is notorious for having an extended WL and playing the update game to see who really wants to come to the school. I'm not sure that's how I'd run an admissions office but given the uncertainty that comes with applicants holding multiple acceptances, I guess it works and they've been doing it for awhile.

Send in necessary updates that show a CHANGE in your application (maybe you were light on volunteer hours and did a mission trip; maybe your grades showed a continued pattern of improvement this past semester). One LOI is fine but don't submit 5 just to submit 5. Also, calls won't necessarily come the first of May. I remember being discouraged when that day came and went. I do know couple people who got in days before we started in August but most calls will go out in two waves in May. Best of luck to all!

I can speak to the fact that we had 10 students try to match Derm, so yes some did fall into the overly ambitious category. Four of them decided to opt for a research year. The others I can't speak to but we were told everyone who attempted to Match or SOAP was placed, albeit a few in transitional years.

Sorry to write in this but I was wondering if any first year Georgetown students could speak on the new syllabus? For those of us who r waitlisted and may not get a chance to go to second look?

Medical School is hard. Doing preclinicals in 18 months instead of 24 makes it harder and faster. There is a STEEP learning curve. You are smart. They will not let you fail out. I've learned more in the past 9 months than any other 9 month stretch in my life.

There are six 8 week blocks. At the end of each block you have between 4 and 7 exams depending on anatomy practicals, OSCEs, and how they split the physio/pharm/path. First block was foundations: biochem/embryology/intro to pharm/path etc. Second block is more foundations along with Immunology and Infectious Disease. Third block you start gross anatomy along with Cardiovascular, Pulm, and Renal. Fourth is Reproductive, GI, Endocrine. Fifth is Limbs, Head/Neck, and musculoskeletal (**gulp**). Sixth is Neuro.

I think I'm going to like the extra five months in the clinical. I think learning hands on is much more effective. I just hope our Step scores don't suffer. Only time will tell. A lot of times in a traditional curriculum when second year rolls around the professors will give a brief physio review to hit you with the material again because the more times you see it the better you know it. We lost that and will have to review on our own.

Message me if you have any more specific questions, if not see you at 2nd look day.

Anyone else waiting to hear a decision just get an email for accepted students about registering for second look day, then another one saying "disregard that we'll give you a decision by the end of the week."

What a tease.