2017-2018 Georgetown University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)

Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)

Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1 page, formatted at your discretion, upload as PDF)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@Lucca

Prompts same as last year

The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)

Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)

Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1 page, formatted at your discretion, upload as PDF)

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't received one either and Georgetown is my home institution and I am well within their stats so I would not worry
Okay thanks for that reply! Georgetown is my top school so I had a brief panic moment. My stats are within their range too so I am not to sure what is going on...

Does everyone receive a secondary from Georgetown? Or are invitations to complete the secondary based on other factors/screening?

Is anyone else having technical difficulty submitting their app??

Members don't see this ad :)
on the secondary itself it has a link that says they don't screen

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

on the secondary itself it has a link that says they don't screen

Did you get a secondary? I am still waiting to receive one. My stats are in their range so idk what is going on..

Did you get a secondary? I am still waiting to receive one. My stats are in their range so idk what is going on..
I did! But was having some technical difficulty submitting so had to send in an email to the Admissions Office...

Um I got an email with the subject secondary application invitation and the entire ext of the email was Chinese characters and emojis. Has this happened to anyone else?

Here is a screenshot:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
To any current students at Georgetown:
1) Are there any options for med students to incorporate aspects of business into your medical school education? (Not MD/MBA)
2) Can you apply for MD/MBA after acceptance?

I received secondary today but it marked my references as not being received (despite having assigned Georgetown under my AMCAS letters of rec). Is there usually a delay in processing? Is anyone else having this problem?

Reactions: 4 users
I received secondary today but it marked my references as not being received (despite having assigned Georgetown under my AMCAS letters of rec). Is there usually a delay in processing? Is anyone else having this problem?
Mine says the same, I just assume they haven't gotten everything uploaded yet

Mine says the same, I just assume they haven't gotten everything uploaded yet
If your school sends a committee letter, the status will change depending on when they are sent.

Received and submitted - I am a previous SMP and waitlisted applicant, so I would love to return to Georgetown. Good luck, everyone!

Um I got an email with the subject secondary application invitation and the entire ext of the email was Chinese characters and emojis. Has this happened to anyone else?

Here is a screenshot:

wait, is this serious? hahaha, I would call and tell them

So, for the Essay, would it be unwise to double space it? Lol

Single space it dude

I did 1.5 spacing last year and got an interview. Remember, they receive a metric f*ck ton of applications. Brevity is probably welcomed at Georgetown

Can any current student comment on the new curriculum reform? Are they still planning on starting the new curriculum with the entering 2017 class?

For the "any further information" question, do you think it's wise to discuss/ explain a low overall gpa? I have a 3.5 overall, ~4.0 post bac, and like a 3.4 science gpa. It's all due to my freshman year bio grades. I don't know if it's better to ignore it and hope they don't care or address it directly.

Secondary received today (July 1st).

For the "any further information" question, do you think it's wise to discuss/ explain a low overall gpa? I have a 3.5 overall, ~4.0 post bac, and like a 3.4 science gpa. It's all due to my freshman year bio grades. I don't know if it's better to ignore it and hope they don't care or address it directly.
I would discuss it if it's lower than their 'competitive' average uGPA. I have a much lower GPA than you and a 4.0 post-bac GPA, however. Just my thoughts.

So, for the Essay, would it be unwise to double space it? Lol

Single space it dude
I double-spaced it. I highly, highly doubt they're going to be like, "HE DOUBLE SPACED? BLACKLISTED."

I think the brevity is appreciated, and I'm not gonna add fluff for the sake of increasing word count.

Should I bother sending in a secondary if I do not meet their recommended amount of hours for volunteering and clinical exposure?

I know there are threads on this, but for pictures is suit and tie necessary or is a collared shirt fine

Should I bother sending in a secondary if I do not meet their recommended amount of hours for volunteering and clinical exposure?
+2 @gyngyn @Goro

"
A highly competitive applicant will present a minimum of:

• ~200 hours of substantive, longitudinal clinical experiences such as: shadowing a physician, medical mission trips, scribing, etc. Please note that volunteering on the floors such as playing/reading to children, stocking shelves and transporting patients is considered good community volunteer experience, but not hands-on clinical experience. International experiences are acceptable, but a majority should be in the United States.
  • ~100 hours of research in any academic discipline.
  • ~100 hours of direct service of the underserved. "

To any current students at Georgetown:
1) Are there any options for med students to incorporate aspects of business into your medical school education? (Not MD/MBA)
2) Can you apply for MD/MBA after acceptance?

I've been researching into this a lot. You have to apply to each school separately and your each school has it's own admissions process which sucks. Here are the deadlines Application Process. It looks like they give you a good amount of time, but you have to take the GMAT and do well on it, the whole nine yards - harder than most MD/MBA programs to get into.

I've been researching into this a lot. You have to apply to each school separately and your each school has it's own admissions process which sucks. Here are the deadlines Application Process. It looks like they give you a good amount of time, but you have to take the GMAT and do well on it, the whole nine yards - harder than most MD/MBA programs to get into.
Oh man we need to take the GMAT.... ugh. Such a great school, so much work lol

I noticed your signature...we have the exact same stats, and your major is close enough to my double major (bio and psyc), haha. Too bad we didn't graduate from the same school!

Deleted

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the deal is with LORs? I submitted my secondary today but it still says my LORs are outstanding. I have them all received by AMCAS and assigned to georgetown but it doesn't look like they have gone through. Does it just take a day or two to process?

Does anyone have tips on applying to Jesuit schools like Georgetown and how to include that in essays? Does me being Jewish make me a "diverse" applicant at a school like Georgetown?
I'm not sure, but you may wish to change your profile pic and info to preserve anonymity.

Anyone want to do a "show me yours and I'll show you mine" with secondary prompts? I hate mine as they currently stand, so some feedback would be very appreciated.

Does anyone know what the deal is with LORs? I submitted my secondary today but it still says my LORs are outstanding. I have them all received by AMCAS and assigned to georgetown but it doesn't look like they have gone through. Does it just take a day or two to process?
Mine says the same... I'd love to know what is going on with this as well