2018-2019 Georgetown University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
Wondering about the white coat sizes that we have to order. I'm looking at the pre-matriculation tab and I have no idea what any of those sizes mean lol

Wondering about the white coat sizes that we have to order. I'm looking at the pre-matriculation tab and I have no idea what any of those sizes mean lol

Yeah, tbh I just picked my usual size for the second option and I'm hoping for the best. It says there is a size chart on the bottom but it doesn't populate.

Members don't see this ad :)

We were able to try on white coats at Second Look and they run large, so I’d order a size down. I’m normally size M/L but the size S fit me best.

Also wondering about white coat sizing/style..... I'm 6 feet tall and usually wear shirts/jackets at a size XL. Which one should I choose?!

Odd question, anyone who tried on white coats at second look have any idea what size would best fit a 5'2" ~120 lb female? I called Fenton's and they said probably an XS in the 419 style

Odd question, anyone who tried on white coats at second look have any idea what size would best fit a 5'2" ~120 lb female? I called Fenton's and they said probably an XS in the 419 style

Extra small sounds right. I’m 5’3 and 135 and the small was big

is everyone trying to live pretty close to the school? Anyone trying to live in Arlington, VA? Or MD?

is everyone trying to live pretty close to the school? Anyone trying to live in Arlington, VA? Or MD?
I'm going to live in Rosslyn I'm pretty sure. Being close to the metro is important to me - my SO will be heading back and forth from where we live now, and I wanted to make it as easy as possible to stay connected. Also, it's a tad cheaper!

I'm going to be living in Rosslyn, since GUSoM runs a shuttle starting at 5 AM, and I usually leave for campus in the morning and return for dinner.

Will likely be withdrawing my acceptance. Good luck all. I absolutely loved this school so will be a hard one to let go.

Reactions: 1 users
As a DMV native, if you choose MD look into Montgomery County and Prince George's County but especially the latter. Prices are reasonably decent. For those who choose to live outside DC: so long as you're in the DC Metropolitan Area (DC and the DC hugging regions of MD and VA bordering counties) and can access public transportation to the Metro, you'll be absolutely fine...

P.S. Get a Metro/Smart Trip Card and refill as you go. Works for the Metro and RideOn buses. Good luck to you all :)

Members don't see this ad :)
As a DMV native, if you choose MD look into Montgomery County and Prince George's County but especially the latter. Prices are reasonably decent. For those who choose to live outside DC: so long as you're in the DC Metropolitan Area (DC and the DC hugging regions of MD and VA bordering counties) and can access public transportation to the Metro, you'll be absolutely fine...

P.S. Get a Metro/Smart Trip Card and refill as you go. Works for the Metro and RideOn buses. Good luck to you all :)
Is an hour commute via metro too long?

Is an hour commute via metro too long?
I would say no when you're trying to save as much as possible for the first 2 years. There are people who do that. But for your latter half at Georgetown, 1 hour can become tricky.

Ideally, the closer you are to stops like Dupont Metro Station on the Red Line, the quicker the commute. So if you're living in VA, being close to Rosslyn Metro Station (Rosslyn/North Rosslyn/Radnor-Fort Myer) can reduce your commute more than half to ~25 minutes.

Hey everyone!

I saw some traffic regarding the white coats- I talked to Christine at Fenton's Uniforms and she provided these two links for the two lab coats for Georgetown. She said the style 739 (made by White Swan) is a men's blazer fitting similar to your standard blazers and the style 419 (made by Fashion Seal) is a little more boxy as it is unisex. Of note: the portal has a typo when it says style 789- should be 739.

White Swan Meta 739 Men's Consultation Coat | White Swan Scrubs
Fashion Seal 419 Unisex Consultant Coat | Lab Coats

Also, I contacted student affairs and let them know the size chart wasn't populating, so if you go to the portal, you can see the chart now. I hope this helps! Looking forward to meeting everyone during orientation!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just curious, but what style are most of you going with? (in particular women, if that makes a difference)

Hey everyone!

I saw some traffic regarding the white coats- I talked to Christine at Fenton's Uniforms and she provided these two links for the two lab coats for Georgetown. She said the style 739 (made by White Swan) is a men's blazer fitting similar to your standard blazers and the style 419 (made by Fashion Seal) is a little more boxy as it is unisex. Of note: the portal has a typo when it says style 789- should be 739.

White Swan Meta 739 Men's Consultation Coat | White Swan Scrubs
Fashion Seal 419 Unisex Consultant Coat | Lab Coats

Also, I contacted student affairs and let them know the size chart wasn't populating, so if you go to the portal, you can see the chart now. I hope this helps! Looking forward to meeting everyone during orientation!
Thanks for this information! For some reason on my portal it shows 1961 and 419 when I go to choose the style. Do you know anything about that or who I can/ should contact about it?

Thanks for this information! For some reason on my portal it shows 1961 and 419 when I go to choose the style. Do you know anything about that or who I can/ should contact about it?
I'm not sure.. maybe student affairs? My guess is they just changed the coat style but they just haven't updated the drop down menu. There's a note under the "style 789" portion that states its the same coat size..

Usually high MCAT, low GPA with decent extracurriculars, letters, etc. Essentially someone who needs to prove to schools that they can handle med school. I had a 33 (514-515) on the old MCAT and a 3.5/3.22 c/sGPA going into the SMP, and was accepted this year to GU after interviewing and getting waitlisted last year while I was a SMP student.
What made the difference this year? What did you do with the year after the SMP? I'm currently in SMP and waitlisted at GU

What made the difference this year? What did you do with the year after the SMP? I'm currently in SMP and waitlisted at GU

New MCAT score, worked as a MA, and continued volunteering. I also rewrote my PS to better reflect what I had learned and experienced.

Reactions: 1 user
For white coat ceremony, my parents and my siblings are all very excited to join me for that event. however I heard that we might only get 2 tickets per student from somewhere. Anyone knew how that works? should I tell my parents to not come, or my siblings to not come? Thank you!

For white coat ceremony, my parents and my siblings are all very excited to join me for that event. however I heard that we might only get 2 tickets per student from somewhere. Anyone knew how that works? should I tell my parents to not come, or my siblings to not come? Thank you!

"
Given the limited space in this historic Georgetown location, each student will be provided 2 guest tickets for the ceremony (incoming students don’t need a ticket). Additional tickets will be available through a Lottery system. We recommend all incoming students to check their GU Email address for communications surrounding the Lottery in mid-July.
The ceremony will be broadcasted LIVE for additional guests in an auditorium on campus & on our website for out of town guests."

From their website. My SO and sister will most likely be in the auditorium and my parents in the actual ceremony location.

any more waitlist movement? seems super quiet lol

I recently withdrew my acceptance so I know a spot at least has opened up. Good luck!

Has anyone received their financial aid packet? I submitted mine pretty late (mid-April). Although it was still within the deadline, it seems most people sent theirs early in the cycle so mine is relatively late. I tried calling them for days and no one is answering the phone

Has anyone received their financial aid packet? I submitted mine pretty late (mid-April). Although it was still within the deadline, it seems most people sent theirs early in the cycle so mine is relatively late. I tried calling them for days and no one is answering the phone

I received mine. There was a mix-up with my parents info when I submitted and was not notified until I called asking about my package. Hopefully you will get in touch with them soon!

I received mine. There was a mix-up with my parents info when I submitted and was not notified until I called asking about my package. Hopefully you will get in touch with them soon!

Thanks. Did you send all your forms to [email protected]? I sent my forms to this email and did not get a confirmation or anything. Since then I emailed them few more times and did not get a single response lol. I guess I'll go visit them personally if things don't work out since I'm on campus.

Thanks. Did you send all your forms to [email protected]? I sent my forms to this email and did not get a confirmation or anything. Since then I emailed them few more times and did not get a single response lol. I guess I'll go visit them personally if things don't work out since I'm on campus.

Yup, I sent them all back in February when I was put on the wait-list. No confirmation or anything either! Once I got in contact with someone it was resolved quickly, but it would have been nice to know sooner if something was wrong.

Surprised that there was no WL movement this weekend? Anyone talked to the office about when there might be more?

I just barely got a call from Dean Mitchell with an acceptance offer! I interviewed Oct 26 and was wait listed in December. I sent 4 letter of intent with the first in December, second in February, and two more in early April.

Reactions: 6 users
I just barely got a call from Dean Mitchell with an acceptance offer! I interviewed Oct 26 and was wait listed in December. I sent 4 letter of intent with the first in December, second in February, and two more in early April.
did you just send letter of intents or updates in them as well?

Congrats! Brb working on yet another letter of intent

did everyone get the email about still wanting to remain on the waitlist?

did everyone get the email about still wanting to remain on the waitlist?
I did and I'm SMP.
I'm wondering if they had another wave of admissions and this was an update to the remaining wait listers?

Thank you! I interviewed in January, and was waitlisted 2 months after.

Same! Also just got the call!! (I interviewed in December)

Reactions: 3 users
I was completely caught off-guard to receive a message from Dean Mitchell while I was out of the country yesterday night. I have already accepted and I am still in shock. I didn’t think it was going to happen.

I interviewed in mid-October, was waitlisted in December, and I submitted (5) letters of continued interest/intent, with the final letter submitted last week. I also submitted (4) additional letters of support from Georgetown-affiliated physicians in the six weeks following being waitlisted.

I have been a quiet denizen of SDN threads for many years and I figured it was time to finally make an account to pay it forward. Thank you all for your sincere efforts to help keep each other informed and sane throughout this inordinately challenging process.

I’m happy to answer questions over DM, but will be checking intermittently while traveling for a few weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users