2017-2018 Geisel School of Medicine (Dartmouth)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all! I also took a break from SDN after I got on the Wait List. Back in the game now!
They told us in the WL email to not expect anything until Mid-May.
I read through last year's thread and 2 people got off WL 5/18/17, 1 person 5/30, and another on 6/13.
Not that every applicant posts diligently on SDN, but thought it would give everyone an idea.

This is the only school I have a chance at an acceptance, so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi all! I also took a break from SDN after I got on the Wait List. Back in the game now!
I read through last year's thread and 2 people got off WL 5/18/17, 1 person 5/30, and another on 6/13.
Not that every applicant posts diligently on SDN, but thought it would give everyone an idea.

This is the only school I have a chance at an acceptance, so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed!
Thanks for looking into this! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the both of us!

Reactions: 1 user

Just to add to that - some people in my class were accepted off the WL in late June and even early July. At that point though, people are much less likely to still be posting on SDN and so it goes unreported!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to add to that - some people in my class were accepted off the WL in late June and even early July. At that point though, people are much less likely to still be posting on SDN and so it goes unreported!
Thanks for sharing that! Yeah SDN is only part of the data

Sorry to overpost in one day, but a general question. Is it possible to ask the school to let you know by a certain date? My lease is ending and I need to figure out if I should sign a year long lease, find a subletting place, or find a month-to-month, basically trying to figure out what I should do about living lol. My guess is no, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask :)

FWIW, I missed a call/received a voicemail from Geisel yesterday (2:57pm EDT) asking if I intended to stay on the waitlist

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Im on a hiking trip in Portugal as Im writing this, and I have no idea whether I couldve gotten a call/voicemail for some annoying technical reason. Would you guys update them on the fact that youd be unavailable over the phone for the duration of the trip?

2 people posted that they got accepted on the Waitlist Tracker.

Im on a hiking trip in Portugal as Im writing this, and I have no idea whether I couldve gotten a call/voicemail for some annoying technical reason. Would you guys update them on the fact that youd be unavailable over the phone for the duration of the trip?
I would definitely update them!

So nervous and anxiously checking my phone and email while I try to calm myself down and tell myself to not get my hopes up!
Does anyone know if AdCom still only meets every Thursday?

Reactions: 1 users
:soexcited:accepted via call yesterday, forms were emailed today. There is hope!! Good luck to everyone still waiting

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
:soexcited:accepted via call yesterday, forms were emailed today. There is hope!! Good luck to everyone still waiting
Congratulations! send some good vibes our way I really need them!

Reactions: 2 users
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I dream of that day every day so I can kind of picture how exciting that must be. Celebrate Celebrate!!!

Looks like another person got accepted on Friday according to the tracker. I guess AdCom is no longer just meeting on Thursdays?

Withdrew from Waitlist just now! I'm rooting for everyone! Y'all got this!

Yes, definitely let them know - I was traveling when I was accepted. I told them to contact my parents since I would not have reliable cell service and then I got a frantic phone call and email from my mom to call the admission director back ASAP. Great way to end my backpacking trip.

Yes, definitely let them know - I was traveling when I was accepted. I told them to contact my parents since I would not have reliable cell service and then I got a frantic phone call and email from my mom to call the admission director back ASAP. Great way to end my backpacking trip.
That's an amazing story!!!

Does anyone know the grading system here-- P/F, internal ranking, AOA?

Does anyone know the grading system here-- P/F, internal ranking, AOA?

From the student handbook:

The Grading System:

All courses during the first two years of medical school are graded Pass-Fail. Clerkships and most electives in the final two years are graded Honors, High-Pass, Pass, or Fail with the exception being the required year 4 courses that are Pass-Fail.

These required year 4 courses include Health, Society and the Physician, Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Advanced Medical Sciences, Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Pediatric Advanced Life Support. Occasionally a course or elective director will decide (with approval by the Medical Education Committee) to offer his/her course or elective on a Pass-Fail basis. Each course director establishes criteria for grading within his or her course or clerkship. Geisel’s Medical Education Committee suggests that each final grade be based on multiple explicit criteria, and not just a single final examination. While each course or clerkship sets its own criteria for grades, there is some course-to-course consistency. For example, within year 2, the criteria for passing are consistent across all courses. For the clerkships that use the NBME subject examinations, a score of 6th percentile or less constitutes a failure. 2017-2018 pg. 7

Your Student Academic Profile:

During the first two years, no formal rank list is generated. Student promotion from year to year is based only on the student’s total academic record (courses passed, courses failed, and courses passed but only marginally). At the end of the third year, it becomes necessary to generate a more detailed academic profile of each student that considers overall academic achievements, and helps determine standing within a class. For example, Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) the national medical honor society, begins to select members at the end of the third year, and students are eligible if they are within the top quarter of the class academically. Other criteria for election to AOA are then applied to students in the top quarter, including citizenship, leadership, character, and community service. During fourth year internship and residency programs, the AOA insists on seeing:

• Student’s overall academic record as documented on the academic transcript
• How grades are distributed within each clerkship
• How a student stands within his or her own class based on academic performance

At the end of year 4, the top quarter of the class is also eligible to graduate from Geisel with honors.

The relative academic position of each student is based on the number of honors in the six core clerkships in year 3.

From the student handbook:

The Grading System:

All courses during the first two years of medical school are graded Pass-Fail. Clerkships and most electives in the final two years are graded Honors, High-Pass, Pass, or Fail with the exception being the required year 4 courses that are Pass-Fail.

These required year 4 courses include Health, Society and the Physician, Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Advanced Medical Sciences, Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Pediatric Advanced Life Support. Occasionally a course or elective director will decide (with approval by the Medical Education Committee) to offer his/her course or elective on a Pass-Fail basis. Each course director establishes criteria for grading within his or her course or clerkship. Geisel’s Medical Education Committee suggests that each final grade be based on multiple explicit criteria, and not just a single final examination. While each course or clerkship sets its own criteria for grades, there is some course-to-course consistency. For example, within year 2, the criteria for passing are consistent across all courses. For the clerkships that use the NBME subject examinations, a score of 6th percentile or less constitutes a failure. 2017-2018 pg. 7

Your Student Academic Profile:

During the first two years, no formal rank list is generated. Student promotion from year to year is based only on the student’s total academic record (courses passed, courses failed, and courses passed but only marginally). At the end of the third year, it becomes necessary to generate a more detailed academic profile of each student that considers overall academic achievements, and helps determine standing within a class. For example, Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) the national medical honor society, begins to select members at the end of the third year, and students are eligible if they are within the top quarter of the class academically. Other criteria for election to AOA are then applied to students in the top quarter, including citizenship, leadership, character, and community service. During fourth year internship and residency programs, the AOA insists on seeing:

• Student’s overall academic record as documented on the academic transcript
• How grades are distributed within each clerkship
• How a student stands within his or her own class based on academic performance

At the end of year 4, the top quarter of the class is also eligible to graduate from Geisel with honors.

The relative academic position of each student is based on the number of honors in the six core clerkships in year 3.
Where do you get a copy of the student handbook?

I just got a call today asking if I would like to remain on the waitlist. Does this happen often? Is it usually followed by an acceptance?!

I just got a call today asking if I would like to remain on the waitlist. Does this happen often? Is it usually followed by an acceptance?!
I dunno but I just got the same call fwiw. Probably trying to make sure they have quick takers if they do offer acceptances

I dunno but I just got the same call fwiw. Probably trying to make sure they have quick takers if they do offer acceptances

Did you email them immediately after the initial waitlist email saying you were interested in staying on it? I wonder if they're contacting people who didn't submit their intention to stay on the list.

Did you email them immediately after the initial waitlist email saying you were interested in staying on it? I wonder if they're contacting people who didn't submit their intention to stay on the list.
Responded to that one within a day or so and sent another email with some updates since, which is why the call as well was rather surprising. Figured my interest would be rather apparent by now.

Has anyone started on the autobiography yet? If so, how did you go about writing it? Since it's going to be part of our permanent record, it seems like a pretty big deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just turned down my acceptance, good luck to everyone waiting still!!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone started on the autobiography yet? If so, how did you go about writing it? Since it's going to be part of our permanent record, it seems like a pretty big deal?

I have not started it yet, but I know that they send out a booklet of all the incoming M1s bios to all the faculty sometime in the early part of the semester.

Got off the waitlist today! Good luck to everyone!! #mywatchisover

Reactions: 9 users
just answered a phone call asking if I was still interested in being on the waitlist.. bit disappointing as I thought it would be an accepted phone call when I saw the caller ID. did anyone else who got this phone call get good news later on?

I have not started it yet, but I know that they send out a booklet of all the incoming M1s bios to all the faculty sometime in the early part of the semester.

I was kind of annoyed that they didn't give us some examples of what they expected from us for this. I don't think it's a big a deal as they make it out to be, but send me a PM if you still care and I can show you a couple anonymized ones from our class!

Where were you backpacking?