2017-2018 Drexel University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Submitted secondary!

Members don't see this ad.

How are you "contributing" to their college? would you say that coming from a diverse background, not growing in the US, being involved in community service I would be contributing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished the secondary! Two questions I thought I would bring up:'

1) Does anyone feel like applying here is a shot in the dark? I know they have good stats for the average MD applicant, but MSAR says they have over 11,000 applicants each year.. that's nuts! I can't imagine how they even sort through them all.

2) In the secondary I accidentally wrote and submitted an essay using the phrase, "Drexel University SOM" where it should've been "Drexel University COM" ... does that look really bad?

Wishing the best for all applicants!

How are you "contributing" to their college? would you say that coming from a diverse background, not growing in the US, being involved in community service I would be contributing?

They LOVE community service. Yes, that is contributing.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Does anyone feel like applying here is a shot in the dark? I know they have good stats for the average MD applicant, but MSAR says they have over 11,000 applicants each year.. that's nuts! I can't imagine how they even sort through them all.

I feel the same way. . . I'm honestly on the fence about even submitting my secondary. I initially expressed interest in the MD/MPH program but they are requiring an essay for the MPH that I can't sell myself on. I am starting to think that I should just withdraw now. I love the mission and the quality of the education, but with my stats, I just feel like I would be money in their pocket and an application in the trash. You win some you lose some I guess haha.

I wrote about their mission and what I would do at their school to fulfill it given my passions and interests.
I agree it was worded weird though. I used the second essay to plug my diversity a bit.

Secondary came in this morning.

@Lucca Prompts:

We're interested in knowing more about you than can be understood from your AMCAS application. We have two essays, the first one is required, the second one is optional, which will help us to get to know you.

1) We at Drexel University College of Medicine have a rich history and a valued mission. Each individual contributes to, supports and enriches our community. Please share with us how you plan on contributing to our College (200 words maximum)

Optional:
2) What else do you feel is important for us to know about you? Please use this space to highlight something not addressed in your application, including new experiences not in your AMCAS application. (200 words maximum)
Does anybody know if there is an additional prompt for MD/PhD?
Thanks! :)

I feel the same way. . . I'm honestly on the fence about even submitting my secondary. I initially expressed interest in the MD/MPH program but they are requiring an essay for the MPH that I can't sell myself on. I am starting to think that I should just withdraw now. I love the mission and the quality of the education, but with my stats, I just feel like I would be money in their pocket and an application in the trash. You win some you lose some I guess haha.

You'll never know if you don't apply. Their mission paired with my ECs is what got me in. My stats were about average. (3.73c/3.79s/31 MCAT)

For what it's worth, IMHO, if you have a good amount of nonclinical volunteering with underserved populations, it's very worth applying here. They receive a ton of apps, yes, but that has a lot to do with their stats listed on MSAR. But their mission is much more important in their eyes and there is a volunteering requirement for first year.

You'll never know if you don't apply. Their mission paired with my ECs is what got me in. My stats were about average. (3.73c/3.79s/31 MCAT)

Thanks for the input, I'll keep it in mind! I'm kinda weak on volunteering as I only a little over 150 hours.

Got the secondary today!~ good to know they are big on Community Service. I have a decent amount of those. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone still wondering, I called Drexel and asked about LORs. MSAR is correct and their limit is 4. I don't know what they will do with any extras that you send.

For anyone still wondering, I called Drexel and asked about LORs. MSAR is correct and their limit is 4. I don't know what they will do with any extras that you send.
I didn't even notice this limit when assigning letters on AMCAS and can't change it at this point. I guess we will just have to see what happens...

How strict is Drexel about the whole non-science LOR? I have a composite letter from my college's pre health committee, but I do not have any letters from non-science professors or other professionals...

Did you ever find out the answer to this question? I do not have a non-sci letter at all, but was wondering if I can substitute one from a volunteer supervisor or just do all academic letters.

Did you ever find out the answer to this question? I do not have a non-sci letter at all, but was wondering if I can substitute one from a volunteer supervisor or just do all academic letters.
I called Drexel's adcom and the man on the phone acted like he couldn't care less about that LOR guideline so I think you're safe lol

Secondary submitted... and now we wait. :whistle:

I submitted 7/10 but my LORs "haven't been received" and my app still isn't complete :( anyone in the same boat?

I didn't even notice this limit when assigning letters on AMCAS and can't change it at this point. I guess we will just have to see what happens...

From my understanding, adcoms just pick the ones they want and leave out the rest (so like a lottery?). I found this out from other schools after I noticed I sent one letter too much. Left a voicemail and an email asking about it this past week and they never got back to me in either case lol...surprised people here have managed to reach them though...am I calling the wrong number? It goes to voicemail everytime I tried to call...

For this question on the secondary: "If you graduated more than six months ago, please tell us what you have been doing since graduation". Does graduating last December count as more than 6 months?

For this question on the secondary: "If you graduated more than six months ago, please tell us what you have been doing since graduation". Does graduating last December count as more than 6 months?
I'd say so. Wouldn't hurt to tell them the cool stuff you've been doing since then, it may help your app. (That is, if you have been involved in more experiences that will bolster your application).

I'd say so. Wouldn't hurt to tell them the cool stuff you've been doing since then, it may help your app. (That is, if you have been involved in more experiences that will bolster your application).

Thank you!

I went to college in Philadelphia and was involved in a lot of volunteering in the city. I wanted to write about how I am familiar with Philly and would like to return there and talk a little about my Philly- specific activities for the optional essay. Would you say it's overkill since my college/activities are part of my AMCAS application already?

since you mentioned the stuff on your AMCAS, I wouldn't mention the same stuff again. However, if I were you, I would talk about how my past experiences can help me engage in the Philly community and accomplish x y and z. Something like that. Say specific stuff you want to accomplish that Drexel has on their website and that isn't on your primary .

Bring up your activities, but don't bore them by repeating the same material.

Do we have to say Drexel University College of Medicine or is there an abbreviation?

Hi Guys,

On the secondary, "Has your education to date been continuous?". Is this the same as asking if I have taken gap years? Bc I feel like there's another question right underneath it that pertains more to gap years.

Hi Guys,

On the secondary, "Has your education to date been continuous?". Is this the same as asking if I have taken gap years? Bc I feel like there's another question right underneath it that pertains more to gap years.
I think we decided based on this thread that you answer the first question if you took semesters off before finishing your degree and you answer the one underneath if you took a gap year. (So you only have to answer both if you did both)

If anyone is still wondering about what happens if you submit more than 4 letters, I had a chance to ask and they said you could submit an update document stating which 4 letters you would like the committee to review. Otherwise, they will likely just choose 4 at random. Hope that helps :)

Reactions: 2 users
If anyone is still wondering about what happens if you submit more than 4 letters, I had a chance to ask and they said you could submit an update document stating which 4 letters you would like the committee to review. Otherwise, they will likely just choose 4 at random. Hope that helps :)
Wouldn't know which ones to choose because they're all confidential lol

Wouldn't know which ones to choose because they're all confidential lol
Haha, this is true! I suppose it still is kind of like a lottery to choose without knowing what they wrote, but at least you have some kind of choice in it :)

How optional is the "optional" essay?

Update: I filled it out just in case and submitted yesterday!

Last edited:
Anyone know the word limit for the first question, 'if you graduated more than six months ago, please tell us what you have been doing'?

Submitted yesterday! With 11,000 applicants, I hope I'm still relatively "early."

I think we decided based on this thread that you answer the first question if you took semesters off before finishing your degree and you answer the one underneath if you took a gap year. (So you only have to answer both if you did both)

What about people like me who took a gap year after college, then enrolled in a SMP which finished this May. Which box do I use? The first one?