2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone do thank you letters / emails ???

Members don't see this ad.

Received an II from here last night, making it 4/7 for DO schools. Not sure if I'll attend due to a lack of finances :|

Received an II from here last night, making it 4/7 for DO schools. Not sure if I'll attend due to a lack of finances :|
I’m in the same boat. Received II today, but I’ve drained a good amount of money for the 5 interviews I’ve had already.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m in the same boat. Received II today, but I’ve drained a good amount of money for the 5 interviews I’ve had already.

Yeah, I still ended up scheduling an interview but it's in a few weeks and $500 round trip lol

Yeah, I still ended up scheduling an interview but it's in a few weeks and $500 round trip lol
HAHAHA. I scheduled the interview too. Just deciding if I’d rather do a 12hr round trip bus ride for $80, or a 2hr round trip plane ride for $500...:arghh:

For those recently admitted has the deposit option appeared on your portal yet? and for the outstanding requirements confirmation are we suppose to do anything for that?
Yes, it was under the Apply Online or View Application Status tab, below outstanding requirements.

Is it too late to apply here with 3.5 GPA and low MCAT? Thanks!

Sorry I’m new to this thread, does this school have an MCAT cut off? Would I have a chance with an mcat below 500?

Sorry I’m new to this thread, does this school have an MCAT cut off? Would I have a chance with an mcat below 500?
There is no MCAT cutoff, only a GPA cutoff. The average MCAT scores for this year's matriculating class is 506.

Members don't see this ad :)
rejected! was fun while it lasted! best of luck to you guys!

I am interviewing on Friday! Who is going to be there?

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected pre ii. Surprised given my stats are competitive at their school, tons of good ECs, and no secondary to make any other sort of assessment against me. Oh well. Good luck to the rest of ya

Rejected pre ii. Surprised given my stats are competitive at their school, tons of good ECs, and no secondary to make any other sort of assessment against me. Oh well. Good luck to the rest of ya
DMU is huge into prior patient contact hours and stuff like that...just an FYI to everybody.
I'm stoked for this interview. DMU is a great school.
Just so you guys know the first years have a huge anatomy exam that morning and a biochemistry one Monday so don't be surprised if you see some zombies walking around. We all really are happy to be at DMU haha enjoy it and just be relaxed

DMU is huge into prior patient contact hours and stuff like that...just an FYI to everybody.

Just so you guys know the first years have a huge anatomy exam that morning and a biochemistry one Monday so don't be surprised if you see some zombies walking around. We all really are happy to be at DMU haha enjoy it and just be relaxed
Good to know thanks so much for the heads up!

Anyone have any advice about the interview?
Just relax. Everyone is super nice. Look at the interview feedback questions. I was asked some of those questions. The other questions were just follow up questions based on my answers and some questions were about certain things from my application. Good luck! :)

According to their FAQ page, 2.8 for both.

I thought the 2.8 was a "strongly recommended" rather than a strict cutoff like KCUMB's 3.25, for instance.

My application was accepted back on July 10th. Do they do silent rejections or just a slow process?

May I ask what are your cGPA & sGPA, & MCAT numbers?
3.2 GPA, I think my sGPA is a little higher. I haven't been 100% clear on how to actually calculate this as I have done my schooling 3.5 years undergrad and did an additional year of schooling to get pre-reqs done at a community college (Decided to do med school after), but I also have a 509 MCAT score.

I thought the 2.8 was a "strongly recommended" rather than a strict cutoff like KCUMB's 3.25, for instance.
Unless you have some crazy other part of your app anything under a 3.25 sGPA won't really cut it honestly. The average MCAT was 506, but the average sGPA was 3.57 and the average cGPA was 3.63. I had just about a 3.2 sGPA the first time I applied and didn't even get an interview. Had to go take more classes, and got a year of clinical experience to boost my app.

Accepted! Interviewed 9/21. Very excited, loved the school

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted today! Interviewed 9/25 :)

Reactions: 6 users
So, I've officially been complete for a little over 60 days and still silence. What's the consensus on this?

Anyone who interviewed 9/25 still waiting to hear back?
I’m pretty sure we were suppose to find out tomorrow or Tuesday. Idk why I got my decision on Thursday but taking into account when everyone has been hearing back then the 9/25 group should find out early this week

I’m pretty sure we were suppose to find out tomorrow or Tuesday. Idk why I got my decision on Thursday but taking into account when everyone has been hearing back then the 9/25 group should find out early this week

Omg I’m nervous. Best school I’ve interviewed at so far. Congrats on the acceptance by the way!

Omg I’m nervous. Best school I’ve interviewed at so far. Congrats on the acceptance by the way!
I can imagine that’s exactly how I felt but everything will work out you’ll see :) PM me please!!!!

Hi everyone!

I'm a first year at DMU. I sent in my primary 10/1 and my secondary in late November. I was initially waitlisted for interview, interviewed in late February, waitlisted post-interview, and accepted late May. My stats were: 3.5 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 511 MCAT. Strong leadership and clinical experience.

I was also accepted at AZCOM and WVSOM, but I fell in love with DMU the moment I stepped into our school. Between the cost and low-stress environment, it was a no-brainer for me. The school here is beautiful and everyone here is incredibly friendly. I'd say I'm friends with over half of my class and a lot of the second year class. The staff here are also very friendly and open. There's seriously no one here you couldn't go up and talk to. Even Dean Ripley has an open-door policy and will attempt to answer any questions you may have.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you need some food suggestions. There's so many great options! :)

Thanks,
PAF

Reactions: 5 users
For those accepted are you all having any issues making the deposit? I am struggling to make the deposit if someone has succeeded could you send me a DM? Thanks much :)

For those accepted are you all having any issues making the deposit? I am struggling to make the deposit if someone has succeeded could you send me a DM? Thanks much :)

I wasnt going to make the deposit yet, but I was also looking on the portal to find out where you actually do it and I cant find it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile