2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here. Strong stats relative to do applicants, complete July. No state ties but still thought they'd show me some love by now.
Email them. I did this and talked about my interest. II three days later.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else from the 08/24 interview date hear anything back yet?
I interviewed that 18th and still haven't heard anything. I emailed admissions once I reached the 4 weeks mark and when I saw people that had interviewed after me getting decisions. They said they have been a bit delayed getting some of the admissions decisions out but that I would hear by the end of this week. If it takes a little longer than the 3-4 weeks I wouldn't worry too much!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed that 18th and still haven't heard anything. I emailed admissions once I reached the 4 weeks mark and when I saw people that had interviewed after me getting decisions. They said they have been a bit delayed getting some of the admissions decisions out but that I would hear by the end of this week. If it takes a little longer than the 3-4 weeks I wouldn't worry too much!

Hopefully you'll hear back soon! That suspense would kill me. Thanks for the update :)

Interviewing here soon and just have a couple questions some current students may be able to answer, thanks in advance!

- What are research opportunities like for students? Are there any M1 to M2 summer research programs or anything like that?

- Are there any community medical outreach programs students get involved with?

Cant seem to find the answer to any of these questions on their site. Thanks again!!!

I can't speak in great detail about research opportunities since I'm not involved in that but I do know that there is mentored student research over the summer for pretty much anyone who is interested. I also know that a lot of these positions start in summer after M1 but then can continue into a year round position if you want. There are also opportunities to do research with clinicians in the DSM area but again, I never looked into it so I can't provide much detail.

In regards to being involved in the community, there are TONS of opportunities for that. Honestly, more than you could ever want. Each club has their own volunteer project that is related to their speciality. There are also school wide opportunities like the back to school physicals we did for grade school kids in the area or the senior health fair held in the fall. There are also clubs like homeless community outreach- where the main focus is community involvement. They offer clinical experiences like volunteering at free clinics but also just activities like working at soup kitchens as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Same here!

Can any prior interviewees tell me how many students are at each interview day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected today, really bummed out as this was my first choice school. :( I was even put on hold last year when my application was nowhere close to what it is now.
Complete 7/19.
cGPA 3.15, sGPA 3.07, MCAT 502. post bacc sGPA 3.5 (and hopefully going up to 3.7 after this semester). I have a lot of activities: +1000s of hours scribing, clinical research, multiple types of clinical exposure, and over +1000 hours of volunteering. Even my DO letter was from a DMU alumni. Oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Good luck to everyone else out there!

Rejected today, really bummed out as this was my first choice school. :( I was even put on hold last year when my application was nowhere close to what it is now.
Complete 7/19.
cGPA 3.15, sGPA 3.07, MCAT 502. post bacc sGPA 3.5 (and hopefully going up to 3.7 after this semester). I have a lot of activities: +1000s of hours scribing, clinical research, multiple types of clinical exposure, and over +1000 hours of volunteering. Even my DO letter was from a DMU alumni. Oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Was this pre-II? Sorry mate. Your app sounds great ! Youll get in somewhere and become a great physician.

Complete 7/19.

I'm so so sorry to hear that. I'm positive that you'll get somewhere else; DMU is known for having slightly higher stats that usual for most DO schools.

Was this pre-II? Sorry mate. Your app sounds great ! Youll get in somewhere and become a great physician.
Yeah, this was pre-II. Thank you though! :)
I'm so so sorry to hear that. I'm positive that you'll get somewhere else; DMU is known for having slightly higher stats that usual for most DO schools.
I hope so too! Haha, I thought my improvement in my post-bacc and clinical work would have worked in my favor this year. Oh well!

Thank you both for your optimistic words! It's times like this when you need to hear it the most (I'm being overly dramatic, but you know what I mean).

Yeah, this was pre-II. Thank you though! :)

I hope so too! Haha, I thought my improvement in my post-bacc and clinical work would have worked in my favor this year. Oh well!

Thank you both for your optimistic words! It's times like this when you need to hear it the most (I'm being overly dramatic, but you know what I mean).

It's super discouraging knowing that your options are limited...and hey, we're all neurotic pre-meds!! The only thing you can really do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best :) Good luck!!

II just now. I guess my post on the previous page was a bit premature. Offered one date next week, one early October, and a few mid-october.

Email them. I did this and talked about my interest. II three days later.

Could you expand on this / pm me if you'd like to keep it private? Thanks in advance.

Complete 7/19.

I'm sorry to hear that you got rejected. Don't worry, I got rejected to three schools already and have no interview invite. I have a 3.20 cGPA and 3.21 sGPA with a 502 MCAT. May I ask how you found out about the decision? Was it by e-mail? Or portal?

I believe they said that they would email. They will probably send something in the mail too.

May I ask your cGPA, sGPA, and MCAT. Your LizzyM is a 59 and mine is a 58, and you have gotten interviews. I am just concerned that I have not gotten an interview, and wanted to talk to people in similar (kinda) positions.

I completed on THAT date as well but have not heard anything :(

Maybe a rejection...

Based on their feedback to my email, I would be patient for at least a few more weeks. I was complete on 7/21 and just received correspondence from them last night.

I'm sorry to hear that you got rejected. Don't worry, I got rejected to three schools already and have no interview invite. I have a 3.20 cGPA and 3.21 sGPA with a 502 MCAT. May I ask how you found out about the decision? Was it by e-mail? Or portal?
It was through email!

Has anyone reached the 60 day review deadline with no decision? :poke:

Did everyone that interviewed 08/18 hear decisions already? The 4 week mark has passed...

Placed on pre II hold today. Lizzy M 68. Bummed cause all I've ever heard was how unbelievable this school is. Congrats to those with IIs though!

Do you think the application process is going to be delayed since the old Dean got fired? Will this impact 2018 matriculants?

Do you think the application process is going to be delayed since the old Dean got fired? Will this impact 2018 matriculants?

I don't think it will be an issue. The acting dean was also the acting dean during the last application cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone who interviewed on 09/11 know when we should expect to hear back? And if it's via call, email, or portal first? :)

Anyone who interviewed on 09/11 know when we should expect to hear back? And if it's via call, email, or portal first? :)

Interviewed 8/25 and still haven't heard back so don't count on that 3 weeks... because you might go crazy waiting... like me

Reactions: 4 users
I just finally received my last LOR last night from a DO, so I hope I'm not too late to the party! DMU is my top choice, so I am trying to remain hopeful! Do we know how often DMU updates their portal/receives LORs? I've already gotten complete emails from one or two other schools, but haven't heard anything from DMU yet.

Congrats to all that have been accepted so far!

ACCEPTED! Interviewed on 9/1. So thankful right now! LizzyM 62-65.

Reactions: 6 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users