2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also got an apt there. A bit pricey by des moines standards, but seems super convenient to be right between the med school and a grocery store.
Exactly. Walking distance is going to be the best.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Most people are in the ones right across the street. Don't pay double the cost it isn't worth it.

EDIT: to each their own, but you don’t need fancy when you’re paying all this tuition money. Also, being able to walk across the street to school is prime. There’s always a parking spot shortage so it’s better to be able to walk if you can

Most people are in the ones right across the street. Don't pay double the cost it isn't worth it.

EDIT: to each their own, but you don’t need fancy when you’re paying all this tuition money. Also, being able to walk across the street to school is prime. There’s always a parking spot shortage so it’s better to be able to walk if you can

Hi @Chibucks15, how bad is the parking shortage on campus? I happened to snag the last spot in the uncovered lot during my interview day. I'd hate to have parking issues on test days, etc. How is walking to campus in the dead of winter? As someone who's moving from CA, I'm very nervous about this.

Thank you for sharing so much about DMU to us incoming students, your insights are super helpful.

I might agree to disagree, but I already live in a loft downtown and am partial to the area. I've looked at quite a few rental properties closer to campus but just couldn't get myself to like anything more and decided I would commute the two miles. That being said, I'm still in the first quartile on the waitlist so I might be moving out of state anyway, making all of this irrelevant lol.
Hi @reinita, are there any properties you could recommend in the downtown area? There seems to be a ton of properties right in downtown (west of the river). I agree, the properties further out from campus seem much more appealing. Do you know if driving the 2 miles to campus takes the same 10 minutes during the winter months? Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1. It’s surprisingly hilly here so if you do choose to live further away you definitely won’t be walking in the winter. Honestly winter sucks but you get used to it. All the Cali people I know did just fine. Just make sure to get the right clothes. Plus if you don’t go to class (like most of us) it doesn’t really matter

2. I live across the street so idk about parking. Highly recommend this. I hear parking sucks some days but all you have to do is get there earlier on test days. If you know it’s gonna be a grind then you alter your habits to ensure you aren’t late. Simple.

I think it’s only happened like once that somebody was late to an exam, and it very well could’ve been they just woke up late.

I know the places downtown are more appealing but you really save yourself a ton of headaches by living closer. It’s literally a mile and a half from downtown to school anyway, and there is a weird freight train that runs through downtown and blows it’s whistle so that’s annoying. But people live downtown and like it so to each their own

Last edited:
What's the grocery store near campus? Haven't had the chance to explore the area.

I haven’t done much exploration either... According to google maps, it’s called price chopper. 10 min walk from campus, even closer from apts

DMU seems to have a very specific type of candidate they're looking for. I got into Wake Forest SOM and University of Iowa Carver COM, but DMU put me on their waiting list. I don't know that being on the waiting list at DMU has as much to do with how competitive you are as a candidate (only 2% of applicants get into Wake Forest SOM) as it does with just the specific range of applicants DMU is looking for. I think if you reach a certain range in MCAT/gpa, they just assume you will go the MD route and basically ignore you. DMU was at the top of my list (above MD schools...I'm from the Des Moines area and really respect this school) until I was treated like a queen by top med schools in the country and ignored by DMU. So, TTPpentad, this is a long way of saying I think you hit the nail on the head!

Hey man, if you want to go to DMU so bad, you should re-word that statement to a much nicer tone and send it to the admissions office as a letter of intent. It will help.

Attachments

• 2F94FC7C-DEC5-4896-BAE3-DEDE4BD11DFC.jpeg
    2F94FC7C-DEC5-4896-BAE3-DEDE4BD11DFC.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 146
Just watched a video on DMU's website of the ceremony they had for the new campus land purchase. They are hoping to be done by 2023, so hopefully our class will get to see it completed!

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks, yeah, I found that on the website earlier. I didn’t phrase my question well... I was wondering what the schedule was like in terms of days/week and hours/day of lectures, labs, exams, practicals, etc.

Thanks, yeah, I found that on the website earlier. I didn’t phrase my question well... I was wondering what the schedule was like in terms of days/week and hours/day of lectures, labs, exams, practicals, etc.
They'll put it in your outlook calendar. Live by that thing.

Usually lectures 8-noon daily, labs in the afternoon. Anatomy 2x/week and OMM usually 1-2x. First semester you have a good amount of free time, but second semester and second year are a grind. Its just how its gotta be.

We had 2-3 exams a week for the vast majority of my first two years

Reactions: 2 users
They'll put it in your outlook calendar. Live by that thing.

Usually lectures 8-noon daily, labs in the afternoon. Anatomy 2x/week and OMM usually 1-2x. First semester you have a good amount of free time, but second semester and second year are a grind. Its just how its gotta be.

We had 2-3 exams a week for the vast majority of my first two years

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Found last years schedule for first year DO students on pulse

Attachments

• Fall AY 2018-19 DO22 Yr. 1 Course Schedule_LastRev.11_29_18.pdf
    619 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: 6 users
that exam schedule looks brutal :cryi:
you get used to it after a while. There are stretches of absolutely terrible but it just becomes part of the routine. dont stress too much

you get used to it after a while. There are stretches of absolutely terrible but it just becomes part of the routine. dont stress too much

How soon after a lecture is the recording posted online? Are recordings from past years also available?

Hi @Chibucks15, how bad is the parking shortage on campus? I happened to snag the last spot in the uncovered lot during my interview day. I'd hate to have parking issues on test days, etc. How is walking to campus in the dead of winter? As someone who's moving from CA, I'm very nervous about this.

Thank you for sharing so much about DMU to us incoming students, your insights are super helpful.

Hi @reinita, are there any properties you could recommend in the downtown area? There seems to be a ton of properties right in downtown (west of the river). I agree, the properties further out from campus seem much more appealing. Do you know if driving the 2 miles to campus takes the same 10 minutes during the winter months? Thanks in advance for your help!

Hey there! Yea there are tons of properties here and honestly my best advice would be to pick a budget, your top three "must haves" (ex. in unit washer/dryer, patio, outdoor space, etc) and see where it leads you. I've been thinking of making the jaunt over to East Village, a really nice area with tons a new development, to Verve or Velocity. Some of the most common are Confluence on 3rd, Cityville on 9th, Rocket Transfer Lofts, The Maxwell, R&T Lofts, Metro Lofts, The Equitable Building, and Harbach Lofts. They're all very close either via Grand Ave or coming across MLK. I know ChiBucks mentioned something about the train but it hardly ever gets in the way of my day and you would never even know it existed if you lived closer to Grand. Options just explode if you chose to consider East Village properties as well, just an extra mile or so to the east across the river. Commute time in the winter might add an extra couple minutes but commuting anywhere in DSM is a million times easier and quicker than any large city.

The parking limitations are not as bad as people seem to imply. The vast majority of students either walk or do not attend lectures. On test days, there is plenty of parking. The only time parking becomes an issue is when there is an event or something mandatory for multiple programs at once (such as an orientation and an exam, or simultaneous exams for the 1st and 2nd years). I commuted my entire first year, however, I will be moving within walking distance for next year (but not because of parking).

Hey there! Yea there are tons of properties here and honestly my best advice would be to pick a budget, your top three "must haves" (ex. in unit washer/dryer, patio, outdoor space, etc) and see where it leads you. I've been thinking of making the jaunt over to East Village, a really nice area with tons a new development, to Verve or Velocity. Some of the most common are Confluence on 3rd, Cityville on 9th, Rocket Transfer Lofts, The Maxwell, R&T Lofts, Metro Lofts, The Equitable Building, and Harbach Lofts. They're all very close either via Grand Ave or coming across MLK. I know ChiBucks mentioned something about the train but it hardly ever gets in the way of my day and you would never even know it existed if you lived closer to Grand. Options just explode if you chose to consider East Village properties as well, just an extra mile or so to the east across the river. Commute time in the winter might add an extra couple minutes but commuting anywhere in DSM is a million times easier and quicker than any large city.
Thank you, @reinita. This is super helpful! I'm considering the Des Moines Building but will take a look at some of the places you've mentioned. It's crazy how many more cool options there are in downtown and to the east of the river.

The parking limitations are not as bad as people seem to imply. The vast majority of students either walk or do not attend lectures. On test days, there is plenty of parking. The only time parking becomes an issue is when there is an event or something mandatory for multiple programs at once (such as an orientation and an exam, or simultaneous exams for the 1st and 2nd years). I commuted my entire first year, however, I will be moving within walking distance for next year (but not because of parking).
Thank you, @Claizen125. Is it possible to street park in the neighborhood around campus? I'm wondering if one could park on grand, ingersoll, or any of the cross streets and walk to campus?

Do we have any idea yet regarding what kind of laptops we will be getting this year?

Still waiting on first quartile too. How big are the quartiles? First usually gets pulled off right?

According to a post from a current student in a past cycle, the quartiles are different sizes from one another and their sizes vary year to year. It’s hard to know how big this year’s first quartile is, but based on how many people in this thread have said they’re in the first quartile, it’s pretty big.

Some cycles, they don’t get through the whole first quartile. Most cycles, they do. As accepted students get pulled off of MD waitlists throughout June, more people will be pulled from the waitlist’s first quartile.

First quartile and still waiting as well.

Apt 109 may be becoming available at imperial apartments if you are looking for a place this is a great affordable apartment!

According to a post from a current student in a past cycle, the quartiles are different sizes from one another and their sizes vary year to year. It’s hard to know how big this year’s first quartile is, but based on how many people in this thread have said they’re in the first quartile, it’s pretty big.

Some cycles, they don’t get through the whole first quartile. Most cycles, they do. As accepted students get pulled off of MD waitlists throughout June, more people will be pulled from the waitlist’s first quartile.

Interesting. What is the first day of class this year. Making my Plan A's and my Plan B's. . .

I’ve got a dilemma because I’m from Des Moines and am first quartile waitlisted but I’m accepted and committed at another school 13 hours away. I don’t wanna move away just to move back so figuring out what to do is challenging

I’ve got a dilemma because I’m from Des Moines and am first quartile waitlisted but I’m accepted and committed at another school 13 hours away. I don’t wanna move away just to move back so figuring out what to do is challenging
I'm in a similar situation. It's tough not knowing what to do for housing.

I'm in a similar situation. It's tough not knowing what to do for housing.
I will most likely be withdrawing my acceptance in a few days so hopefully it goes to one of you two. Keep your heads up!

I will most likely be withdrawing my acceptance in a few days so hopefully it goes to one of you two. Keep your heads up!
Thanks but it's to a different school actually which hasn't had much movement.

The uncertainty that comes with being on the waitlist is terrible. Hope you get accepted soon. Would be cool to be classmates with the MCAT king of all DOs, lol :bow:

Exact same position! But my second choice school is like 20 hours away lol. Either way, it makes being in limbo low key terrifying. Just trying to make plans for either direction.

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew my acceptance this morning.

Congrats @Tiran145!!

Unrelated - have any OOS students had luck applying for Iowa Medicaid? If so, I'd love to chat. Thank you in advance!