2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone comment on which apartment do DMU students usually stay at? Some apartments I was looking at online are so run down, but the cool looking ones downtown are double the cost.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone comment on which apartment do DMU students usually stay at? Some apartments I was looking at online are so run down, but the cool looking ones downtown are double the cost.
Most people are in the ones right across the street. Don't pay double the cost it isn't worth it.

EDIT: to each their own, but you don’t need fancy when you’re paying all this tuition money. Also, being able to walk across the street to school is prime. There’s always a parking spot shortage so it’s better to be able to walk if you can

Last edited:
Most people are in the ones right across the street. Don't pay double the cost it isn't worth it

I might agree to disagree, but I already live in a loft downtown and am partial to the area. I've looked at quite a few rental properties closer to campus but just couldn't get myself to like anything more and decided I would commute the two miles. That being said, I'm still in the first quartile on the waitlist so I might be moving out of state anyway, making all of this irrelevant lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any people that are high priority and still on the waitlist?

I also got off the waitlist yesterday! I was high priority as well though.

Reactions: 1 users
Hope they start reaching out to low priority first quartile people by the end of May

I might agree to disagree, but I already live in a loft downtown and am partial to the area. I've looked at quite a few rental properties closer to campus but just couldn't get myself to like anything more and decided I would commute the two miles. That being said, I'm still in the first quartile on the waitlist so I might be moving out of state anyway, making all of this irrelevant lol.

I agree with this: It's obviously a lot of personal preference, but I enjoy living downtown. It's a cool atmosphere and truly a way to escape from the school and have a "home base" without being right next to DMU. I'd say the majority of students live near DMU, but there's definitely at least 25% that live downtown and another 20ish% that live in the suburbs (particuarly those with families, from the area, or have pets).

I agree with this: It's obviously a lot of personal preference, but I enjoy living downtown. It's a cool atmosphere and truly a way to escape from the school and have a "home base" without being right next to DMU. I'd say the majority of students live near DMU, but there's definitely at least 25% that live downtown and another 20ish% that live in the suburbs (particuarly those with families, from the area, or have pets).
Do the apartments next to the school not allow pets, do you know? Thanks in advance

Does anyone know how many year long rotation spots are open for Chicago, IL (Cook County) and how generally difficult it is for students to get it?

But.........the buckets to be had at the DMU wellness
:(

Haha I know I know. I really loved DMU but got into another great school.
So many intramural buckets to be given out these med school youngbloods. :corny:

Most people are in the ones right across the street. Don't pay double the cost it isn't worth it.

EDIT: to each their own, but you don’t need fancy when you’re paying all this tuition money. Also, being able to walk across the street to school is prime. There’s always a parking spot shortage so it’s better to be able to walk if you can

I have a question about orientation. It’s scheduled for the same few days that my brothers wedding is happening. Am I able to miss orientation? What’s happens during it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about orientation. It’s scheduled for the same few days that my brothers wedding is happening. Am I able to miss orientation? What’s happens during it?
Email DMU because I have no idea. But honestly, you can't really skip orientation. Its long and boring, but you need to be there to listen to all the mandatory stuff you have to listen to. I'm 90% sure they'll say you have to be at orientation sorry

Does anyone know how many year long rotation spots are open for Chicago, IL (Cook County) and how generally difficult it is for students to get it?
It changes every year (Chicago is adding more) but this year it was like 25 or something. There isn't an answer to the 'easy to get' question because its done by lottery

Based on this year’s waitlist movement up to this point, it’s definitely not going to be a repeat of the 2016-2017 cycle, when second quartile folks were being accepted by mid-May. (By the end of that cycle, all quartiles were accepted).

It’s also slower than the 2017-2018 cycle, when low-priority first quartile folks were getting acceptances from May 15 through the end of May; that cycle, they got through all of first quartile, plus part of second quartile.

That being said, it’s moving a bit faster than the 2015-2016 cycle, when NOBODY got off the waitlist until late May. That cycle, the only people who got off were in the first quartile.

Based on past trends, the outlook doesn’t look too great, even for those in the low-priority first quartile... but we’ll have to wait and see. :\

A major factor could be that MD schools are no longer getting a multiple acceptance report (per the new AAMC policy), and so the only thing forcing MD applicants to commit to a single school are CTE deadlines, which are school-specific and primarily in June and July.

MD applicants hoarding multiple acceptances until June/July —> slower MD waitlist movement —> slower rate of DO acceptance withdrawal —> slower DO waitlist movement

Reactions: 4 users
Called admissions today to ask for an update, basically got a response to the effect of "it's impossible for us to give an accurate timeframe for which you may get offered a seat, even in the first quartile." Just said they had started moving through the waitlist (obviously, from previous posts).

So nothing we didn't already know lol.

Got accepted off of the waitlist yesterday (First quartile, not high-priority). I decided to withdraw my seat for a local school. Hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 5 users
Got accepted off of the waitlist yesterday (First quartile, not high-priority). I decided to withdraw my seat for a local school. Hope it goes to one of you!

Huh, so it looks like they’ve begun to start accepting from the low-priority first quartile. That’s good to know. Thanks for posting!

I still have not gotten rejected pre-II. I guess they have yet to send out their end-of-cycle email (LECOM, PCOM, a few other sent theirs out recently).

Did they call or email you about the acceptance?

This is a post for any current students out there. I have heard a lot about starting prep for hamlet step 1 early. What have you done to prep and start early? Did you pick up first aid to complement lectures? I am just reaching out so I can be prepared and have a plan to succeed.

Just withdrew my acceptance as well as a scholarship. Goodluck to you all!

Just withdrew my acceptance as well as a scholarship. Goodluck to you all!

Out of curiosity, does anybody know if they reassign the scholarships of those who choose not to attend?

This is a post for any current students out there. I have heard a lot about starting prep for hamlet step 1 early. What have you done to prep and start early? Did you pick up first aid to complement lectures? I am just reaching out so I can be prepared and have a plan to succeed.
Don't even worry about it until winter of first year earliest. First year is the basics, most of step material is end of 1st year/2nd year. Plus, you want to actually make sure you know how to succeed in medical school before biting off more than you can chew.

Some people love going hard wayyyy too fast. The end of first year/beginning of second year is a damn grind without board stuff. Don't burn out.

If you HAVE to do something, use pathoma or sketchy or something alongside classwork or Zanki if that's your thing. Learn things well the first time during first year and itll be beneficial. Save going ham for second year

Reactions: 2 users
Don't even worry about it until winter of first year earliest. First year is the basics, most of step material is end of 1st year/2nd year. Plus, you want to actually make sure you know how to succeed in medical school before biting off more than you can chew.

Some people love going hard wayyyy too fast. The end of first year/beginning of second year is a damn grind without board stuff. Don't burn out.

If you HAVE to do something, use pathoma or sketchy or something alongside classwork or Zanki if that's your thing. Learn things well the first time during first year and itll be beneficial. Save going ham for second year
Thanks for the advice!

Where do you find info about the background check, drug test, and immunizations? The acceptance letter doesn't give any info... Is there a follow-up letter after?

Where do you find info about the background check, drug test, and immunizations? The acceptance letter doesn't give any info... Is there a follow-up letter after?

Congrats on your acceptance! It’s all in Pulse, which they’ll send you a login for. And they also send a lot of the info in emails!

Withdrew from the WL today. Hope this allows someone else to move up in the queue. Awesome school. I had great vibes here
:horns:. Good luck to all

Congratulations! Did you receive the "if you are still interested in attending DMU" email before you get your acceptance email?

How soon do we need to be submitting the total loan amount we are requesting through pulse? I’ve done all the other requirements but I’m trying to hold off a bit just until I have a better idea of how much I need exactly

Just received my acceptance email. OOS applicant, first quartile non high priority. Will be attending.

How soon do we need to be submitting the total loan amount we are requesting through pulse? I’ve done all the other requirements but I’m trying to hold off a bit just until I have a better idea of how much I need exactly
I just went in for a meeting with financial aid today and they said by next week would be best; two weeks is the absolute cutoff. They'll start processing after that.

Reactions: 2 users
Just locked down an apt. at imperial. Excited for this fall and to be within walking distance!

Just locked down an apt. at imperial. Excited for this fall and to be within walking distance!

Also got an apt there. A bit pricey by des moines standards, but seems super convenient to be right between the med school and a grocery store.