2020-2021 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

To anyone who got in here, was it a call or an email? I am on the waitlist and just wondering what to look out for, thanks!

I post this on every DMU thread this time of year but I'm a rising 4th year here. This helped me quite a bit when I was in your shoes so I figured I'd give back. Feel free to DM me any questions. I'm a nontrad (2 years post undergrad I started) with prior healthcare experience from the Midwest and I have a family so specific questions in terms of that I know most about. I'm going to be applying for Neuro and IM now that COVID is messing everything up.

First though, make sure to read last years app thread. Many of your questions I answered there or other people did. Super helpful.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I post this on every DMU thread this time of year but I'm a rising 4th year here. This helped me quite a bit when I was in your shoes so I figured I'd give back. Feel free to DM me any questions. I'm a nontrad (2 years post undergrad I started) with prior healthcare experience from the Midwest and I have a family so specific questions in terms of that I know most about. I'm going to be applying for Neuro and IM now that COVID is messing everything up.

First though, make sure to read last years app thread. Many of your questions I answered there or other people did. Super helpful.

Best of luck!
Hey! I'm an Iowan native, do you know if they have an in-state preference or would it matter? Also was there difficulty setting up your 3rd and 4th year rotations?

Thanks!

Hey! I'm an Iowan native, do you know if they have an in-state preference or would it matter? Also was there difficulty setting up your 3rd and 4th year rotations?

Thanks!
It doesnt matter and eh its a headache for some but it really isn't all its made out to be on here. I guess I was lucky but the majority of my class was pretty happy overall. There a pros and cons to each spot

Reactions: 1 user
It doesnt matter and eh its a headache for some but it really isn't all its made out to be on here. I guess I was lucky but the majority of my class was pretty happy overall. There a pros and cons to each spot

Great thank you! If you're willing to share, what were your stats going in?

Great thank you! If you're willing to share, what were your stats going in?
I honestly don't even remember my GPA. I think a 511 MCAT though?

Thanks!

I don't know if things changed but when I was involved in interviews, DMU had a preference for people who they thought would actually attend if they got accepted. if you are iowa native and have a good story about des moines in general, that is looked upon favorably. At least it was when I was there.

I don't know if things changed but when I was involved in interviews, DMU had a preference for people who they thought would actually attend if they got accepted. if you are iowa native and have a good story about des moines in general, that is looked upon favorably. At least it was when I was there.
Definitely not against staying in this area and I like Des Moines a lot. Will keep this in mind! Thanks!

Incoming M1 from California. If anyone has any questions about the interview or application, feel free to ask away!

Excited to start at such an amazing program and see some snow!

Incoming M1 from California. If anyone has any questions about the interview or application, feel free to ask away!

May I ask your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I wanted to know for the exposure to osteopathic medicine prompt, did you guys write in past tense or present tense, and did you just answer the question right off the bat or actually tell a story of an experience? Also, I have another question about the part where you're asked to reflect on your experiences and how they relates to the mission of DMU. I'm a Texas native, but when I was 2-4 years old, we lived in Des Moines as my father actually completed his MHA at DMU. Would it be okay to mention my ties to DMU?

Hey everyone,
I wanted to know for the exposure to osteopathic medicine prompt, did you guys write in past tense or present tense, and did you just answer the question right off the bat or actually tell a story of an experience? Also, I have another question about the part where you're asked to reflect on your experiences and how they relates to the mission of DMU. I'm a Texas native, but when I was 2-4 years old, we lived in Des Moines as my father actually completed his MHA at DMU. Would it be okay to mention my ties to DMU?

I wrote in past tense and mentioned how I scribed for several DO physicians over the last 2-3 years. I don't recall if I described an experience or not for DMU.

As for the relating to the mission of DMU, I described my experiences and my personal goals/mission as a future physician and how those relate to DMU's mission and how I see DMU as the ideal place to achieve my goals.

I don't think mentioning your connection to DMU would hurt. I'm sure they would like the DMU legacy aspect of it.

Hi! How long did application review take for you before getting an II?

Hi! How long did application review take for you before getting an II?

Erm they sent me the complete email 8/6 with II sent 8/19. At that point, interviews were end of September, early October.

I've heard that, similar to PCOM, DMU won't be doing secondaries this year. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I applied and remember having to answer a few essay questions to submit via aacomas so im pretty sure that they said that was it. There were questions in the same area as when you assign courses to pre reqs.

I've heard that, similar to PCOM, DMU won't be doing secondaries this year. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
I'm pretty sure it's just part of the primary app! Just a few questions

Did you guys use all 3000 words to write your essays? My essay is like 750 words but it gets the point across, still don't know if it's enough though.

Has everyone here gotten a confirmation email that they received your app to make an account?

from last year's thread, both PCOM and DMU have supplemental applications but no essay questions.

let's hope they both stay consistent!

Did you guys use all 3000 words to write your essays? My essay is like 750 words but it gets the point across, still don't know if it's enough though.

It is a character limit, not a word limit

Not yet, but interested to see when others do. I recieved one from NSU this morning so some schools have started.
I've gotten like 4 so far, but I'm interested to see how DMU does it given we finished our secondary in the perimary

I've gotten like 4 so far, but I'm interested to see how DMU does it given we finished our secondary in the perimary
Nothing yet for me either! Hopefully we get something soon!

I got two im pretty sure generic emails over the weekend 1 saying thanks for being interested and then 1 two days later from the dean basically saying the same thing. I did do the virtual fair thing last week and I asked when they would start reviewing apps and they said some time in July.

Reactions: 1 users
just realized i had two typos in the "why DO?" essay:
- forgot an "as"
- had an extra "the"

am i screwed? or is the neuroticism taking over?

I received notice this morning to create a portal account and it has all my application information. Says it will take up to 3 weeks for them to fill in the information.

Reactions: 2 users
I received notice this morning to create a portal account and it has all my application information. Says it will take up to 3 weeks for them to fill in the information.

Might be much sooner since it's pretty early in the cycle. When I applied last year, I created my account 7/31 and was complete 8/6. Make sure to check if you are missing anything in the "outstanding requirements" section. Best of luck everyone!

I
Might be much sooner since it's pretty early in the cycle. When I applied last year, I created my account 7/31 and was complete 8/6. Make sure to check if you are missing anything in the "outstanding requirements" section. Best of luck everyone!
It looks like the “outstanding” things are that they haven’t reviewed it yet but we’ll see!

Anyone else not receive any word from them so far? I was verified on 5/29 and it sounds like theres no secondary but still havent received anything from them yet. Thanks

Anyone else not receive any word from them so far? I was verified on 5/29 and it sounds like theres no secondary but still havent received anything from them yet. Thanks

The secondary is within the primary, but I received a link to the portal. I was verified on 5/13 and am an Iowan resident.

nothing for me either. verified 6/6 and OOS.
hopefully soon though!

I haven't gotten anything either, not even confirmation that they received my application...

Got an email for their portal today. Like someone else said, they stated that it'll take up to 3 weeks for letters and scores to update on our files.

Got a generic email today telling me to checkout their residency matches lmao.. no portal link yet

I received a link to the portal today. Does anyone know how the Local GPA is calculated on the application review or what it means?

I keep getting seemingly generic emails from them to my personal email (that I had previously associated with AACOMAS, but changed it to a gmail strictly for med school application stuff), such as this one today:
IMG_0863.PNG

So I'm wondering if the reason I haven't gotten a link to my portal or anything is because they are expecting my application to be from my personal email? Should I give them a call/be worried?

I keep getting seemingly generic emails from them to my personal email (that I had previously associated with AACOMAS, but changed it to a gmail strictly for med school application stuff), such as this one today:
View attachment 311030

So I'm wondering if the reason I haven't gotten a link to my portal or anything is because they are expecting my application to be from my personal email? Should I give them a call/be worried?
Actually same tho. My initial email came to my school one which was associated up until I submitted then I changed it. However my portal included all my AACOMAS stuff so who knows.