2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I check the DMU portal periodically, and today a new section under my supplemental items just opened up that says “outstanding requirements confirmation”, does anybody know what this means?
Hi @dodoc2023 I just checked my portal and am seeing the same thing. 9/10 required items received and an unchecked supplemental items box. Based of previous posts in the thread, this is very good news.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi @dodoc2023 I just checked my portal and am seeing the same thing. 9/10 required items received and an unchecked supplemental items box. Based of previous posts in the thread, this is very good news.

It must have been, because I just got the acceptance email a few minutes ago! Will be attending, good luck to everyone else as well :)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted off of the waitlist today :). I am excited to join you all in the fall.

Reactions: 3 users
Go to "View Application Status" then hit "View" under Outstanding Requirements.Print out this page, sign it, then upload as a PDF under your supplemental items.

You're basically agreeing to get the background check and you acknowledge their right to withdraw your acceptance should the background check turn out poorly.

I do not see a way to view the Outstanding Requirements PDF in the "Apply Online or View Application Status" tab. Did you need to wait a few days for it to appear?

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday! Excited to start this journey with the rest of y'all!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone received their actual financial aid award? I received an estimate but not the real deal.

Just withdrew my acceptance here in favor of OU-HCOM Cleveland. I hope one of you gets the spot!

Where are people living to those who have already been accepted? So many options and it’s hard to sift through to find good ones with good reviews! If anybody found a good place and has any recommendations I would be all ears

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where are people living to those who have already been accepted? So many options and it’s hard to sift through to find good ones with good reviews! If anybody found a good place and has any recommendations I would be all ears
I'd recommend using one of those apartments.com or stuff like that. There's an apartment complex for everybodys wants right around here from the super cheap, not awesome one to brand new just opened and pricey as hell types. I live across the street and highly recommend living within walking distance. Makes life a whole lot easier

First quartile but not high priority, no word yet.

Anyone submitted the Background check a month+ ago and it still isn't complete?

Nope mine was complete like 3-4 days after I submitted
When you emailed the Iowa Child abuse forms to Certiphi, did you get any kind of confirmation? All I got was a security alert email from them

When you emailed the Iowa Child abuse forms to Certiphi, did you get any kind of confirmation? All I got was a security alert email from them
I sent a fax and no I did not get any confirmation...just a notification from vertigo when it was complete.

Some advice for those on the waitlist to take with a grain of salt based on my previous experience. If you are high priority it’s pretty much a guarantee that you will eventually get in. Probably be the end of May. If you are first quartile there is a pretty good shot. You will most likely be accepted by the end of June or earlier. The second quartile is 50/50. You could get in. You could not. If you do it will likely be in June or July all the way up to orientation. Third and Fourth quartile last still have a shot but I would say it’s more likely a no than yes. If you have an acceptance elsewhere I would go ahead a take it and plan like you are going to that school than be happily surprised it you get an acceptance late to DMU. If you are on hold and not in a quartile ranking I would go ahead and make other plans. It’s probably not gonna happen. That all being said we have had years at DMU where all of the waitlist and some of the holds have been accepted but that sounds more like an exception to the rule. Hope this was helpful.

Reactions: 4 users
Wanted to pop in and say that for those of you coming off the waitlist, don’t feel inferior to your future classmates. I have truly phenomenal classmates who came off the waitlist (a few very late) and have been absolutely crushing med school (in the classroom, clinically, and just as awesome human beings). You deserve to be in medical school as much as anyone else who got accepted so don’t forget that!

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone submitted the Background check a month+ ago and it still isn't complete?

Yep, this. Done on April 1st, submitted the Iowa child and elder abuse forms same-day, somehow got lost and re-submitted two weeks ago via email. I called in to verify they had the forms again (which they did) but radio silence again since :/

Yep, this. Done on April 1st, submitted the Iowa child and elder abuse forms same-day, somehow got lost and re-submitted two weeks ago via email. I called in to verify they had the forms again (which they did) but radio silence again since :/
Maybe faxing the forms expedited mine??? Doesn’t seem like that should matter. I also have moved around a ton and lived in Europe for years so you would think mine would have been complicated to check...

Feeling like I should fax the forms to be safe...

Maybe faxing the forms expedited mine??? Doesn’t seem like that should matter. I also have moved around a ton and lived in Europe for years so you would think mine would have been complicated to check...

I'm not sure - the first submission I had was a fax but I mean there's always the possibility I botched the fax number the first time too

Wanted to pop in and say that for those of you coming off the waitlist, don’t feel inferior to your future classmates. I have truly phenomenal classmates who came off the waitlist (a few very late) and have been absolutely crushing med school (in the classroom, clinically, and just as awesome human beings). You deserve to be in medical school as much as anyone else who got accepted so don’t forget that!
DMU seems to have a very specific type of candidate they're looking for. I got into Wake Forest SOM and University of Iowa Carver COM, but DMU put me on their waiting list. I don't know that being on the waiting list at DMU has as much to do with how competitive you are as a candidate (only 2% of applicants get into Wake Forest SOM) as it does with just the specific range of applicants DMU is looking for. I think if you reach a certain range in MCAT/gpa, they just assume you will go the MD route and basically ignore you. DMU was at the top of my list (above MD schools...I'm from the Des Moines area and really respect this school) until I was treated like a queen by top med schools in the country and ignored by DMU. So, TTPpentad, this is a long way of saying I think you hit the nail on the head!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
DMU seems to have a very specific type of candidate they're looking for. I got into Wake Forest SOM and University of Iowa Carver COM, but DMU put me on their waiting list. I don't know that being on the waiting list at DMU has as much to do with how competitive you are as a candidate (only 2% of applicants get into Wake Forest SOM) as it does with just the specific range of applicants DMU is looking for. I think if you reach a certain range in MCAT/gpa, they just assume you will go the MD route and basically ignore you. DMU was at the top of my list (above MD schools...I'm from the Des Moines area and really respect this school) until I was treated like a queen by top med schools in the country and ignored by DMU. So, TTPpentad, this is a long way of saying I think you hit the nail on the head!

Well, interview evaluations play a role, and there’s a big degree of subjectivity there. Congrats on those acceptances btw!!

That is not a stupid question at all- it was one of my big worries about DMU, and after being at DMU for a year it makes a lot more more sense. This might be a long reply, but I'm going to try and explain it fully. You've essentially got it right that the difference is that you're at one health system in a year-long, while non-year longs aren't at the same hospital.

So there’s two ways that you can do rotations: year-long, and non-year long. Of the 220 students in this year's 2nd year class, roughly 160-170 ended up in year long sites, but the # of year-long sites will be increasing in the next few years. Here's what the differences are:

1) Year Long: These rotations are entirely set up by the school and selected using a lottery system in spring of 2nd year. The rotation sites typically are in the Midwest with a few being further away. I would estimate that around 60-70 students get placed in year-long sites in the Des Moines area, with probably another 50 in Iowa communities (other than DSM), and another 50 in locations elsewhere (Indiana, Texas, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc). You can find the past year's sites on the DMU website, although obviously they are subject to change. Year-long sites provide all of the necessary rotations for 3rd year in one physical location. This is probably what you traditionally think of when you think about rotations.

2) Non Year Long: The other option is to have non-year long rotations. The big difference is that in non-year long, you can be in various hospitals and clinics throughout the year. Typically 8 or 9 of your 10 rotations are in the Central Iowa area (within 30 minutes of DMU) and 1 is an "out" rotation, which is still in the midwest, but may be a little bit further away. For example, you may have family medicine at Broadlawns in Des Moines, pediatrics at Unitypoint-Blank Children's, psych at MercyOne-Des Moines, etc, and then maybe OB/Gyn in Central Nebraska (or at some other site around the Midwest). The cool part of this is if you know a physician that you want to set up a rotation with, DMU will work with you to try and coordinate that. But if you don't know any physicians that you want to rotate with, DMU will set up everything for you! You can set up either a few rotations with physicians you know, or you can even set up your entire 3rd year, if you're able to do that. DMU is helpful in coordinating everything, and it's actually a lot less stressful than it seems. Some students actually prefer to have non-year long rotations because it allows them to explore many different hospitals and settings, and makes sure they'll stay in the Des Moines area.

Just to clarify, there is absolutely no circumstance that you have to set up rotations on your own. If you want to do that, DMU will help you. But if you're non-year long, DMU will find everything for you and get them all lined up. It's a collaborative process and actually works really well.

All in all, my personal opinion is that it definitely isn’t a big thing to worry about. DMU is known to have some great rotation sites with some of the top preceptors in the country, and it’s something that they’re working hard on improving. I would bet by the time you're 3rd years, they will have a year-long rotation site for every students that wants one, and DMU will continue making sure every student has quality experiences on rotations. Hopefully that makes sense, if not- I can definitely try to answer more questions.

Hi! Thank you, your post was very helpful. About the non year long rotation, when you are sent for the "out rotation," does DMU arrange for accommodations or are we responsible for those costs? Also, can you pick what your "out rotation" specialty is?

Also, this may also be a silly question but what are the 10 rotations that we are required to complete? I know there is FMx2, GS, IM, Peds, Psych, but what would be the other 4?

Last question, I promise haha... During our 4th year after we are done with whatever audition rotations we set up, what are you supposed to do? Keep doing rotations in other specialities in the area?

Thanks in advance, my type A is kicking in so thought to get some clarification on here :)

Hi! Thank you, your post was very helpful. About the non year long rotation, when you are sent for the "out rotation," does DMU arrange for accommodations or are we responsible for those costs? Also, can you pick what your "out rotation" specialty is?

Also, this may also be a silly question but what are the 10 rotations that we are required to complete? I know there is FMx2, GS, IM, Peds, Psych, but what would be the other 4?

Last question, I promise haha... During our 4th year after we are done with whatever audition rotations we set up, what are you supposed to do? Keep doing rotations in other specialities in the area?

Thanks in advance, my type A is kicking in so thought to get some clarification on here :)

TBH I'm not entirely sure about the "out rotation" housing arrangements. I would bet that you're responsible, similar to what 4th year audition rotations are like. However it's typically a month and I think some sites provide housing (albeit probably only a few sites). You do get some say in what the out rotation specialty and once you get selected for the non-year long site, you work with the clinical affairs team to put together a schedule.

3rd year core rotations:
8 weeks of family medicine
4 weeks IM
4 weeks general surgerty
4 weeks general pediatrics
4 weeks OB/GYN
4 weeks Psych
4 weeks EM
4 weeks medical/surgical subspecialty
2 week rotation (I think in whatever specialty you want)

4th year rotations:
4 weeks of Community, Rural, or International Medicine
28-32 weeks of electives

My understanding is that 4th year is extremely relaxed and you end up having quite a bit of "vacation" time. I know that once people match they tend to schedule rotations in specialties that would be useful to them (for example, if you're going into neurosurgery you might want to schedule a neurology rotation to brush up on those skills, something like that)

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want! I'm more than willing to help and I know my fellow DMU classmates are too!

TBH I'm not entirely sure about the "out rotation" housing arrangements. I would bet that you're responsible, similar to what 4th year audition rotations are like. However it's typically a month and I think some sites provide housing (albeit probably only a few sites). You do get some say in what the out rotation specialty and once you get selected for the non-year long site, you work with the clinical affairs team to put together a schedule.

3rd year core rotations:
8 weeks of family medicine
4 weeks IM
4 weeks general surgerty
4 weeks general pediatrics
4 weeks OB/GYN
4 weeks Psych
4 weeks EM
4 weeks medical/surgical subspecialty

4th year rotations:
4 weeks of Community, Rural, or International Medicine
28-32 weeks of electives

My understanding is that 4th year is extremely relaxed and you end up having quite a bit of "vacation" time. I know that once people match they tend to schedule rotations in specialties that would be useful to them (for example, if you're going into neurosurgery you might want to schedule a neurology rotation to brush up on those skills, something like that)

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want! I'm more than willing to help and I know my fellow DMU classmates are too!

Awesome! This clarified a lot... How hard is it would you say to get a year long site in Ohio or Michigan? Do you know where we can get an updated list of year long sites students can rotate at during their 3rd year?

Awesome! This clarified a lot... How hard is it would you say to get a year long site in Ohio or Michigan? Do you know where we can get an updated list of year long sites students can rotate at during their 3rd year?

It's tough to say, but I believe that there are few people ranking spots in Ohio/Michigan as their #1 choice. It largely depends on the other students in your class and who's interested in each particular site. The current list is at this link near the bottom of the page: Clinical Affairs - Des Moines University

As you would probably expect, the spots will almost definitely change slightly before you're going through the selection process for clinical rotations. Hope that helps!

It's tough to say, but I believe that there are few people ranking spots in Ohio/Michigan as their #1 choice. It largely depends on the other students in your class and who's interested in each particular site. The current list is at this link near the bottom of the page: Clinical Affairs - Des Moines University

As you would probably expect, the spots will almost definitely change slightly before you're going through the selection process for clinical rotations. Hope that helps!
Yes, thanks so much! :)

Yes, thanks so much! :)

Also, how many sites are you required to list for the rotation "match"? I've heard anywhere from 3-10 but I was wondering what the minimum number was...

Did you post here just to humble brag? Congrats on 'being treated with a queen by top med schools'. The interview matters here so maybe you came across poorly like you did in this post.

What you said isn't the case at all honestly coming from someone who actually is here. There's a reason there's a lot of wait list movement usually because we take some of the same students as some MDs. Just had to correct you for the lurkers. Carry on and best of luck

Reactions: 5 users
Also, how many sites are you required to list for the rotation "match"? I've heard anywhere from 3-10 but I was wondering what the minimum number was...

I think it's 10, but I'm not entirely sure. I think the stats are that about 60% get their top choice and about 80% get in the top 3 choices. The stats are a little lower than you'd expect because the vast majority of students rank the same top 3 spots (typically the ones in Des Moines).

Did you post here just to humble brag? Congrats on 'being treated with a queen by top med schools'. The interview matters here so maybe you came across poorly like you did in this post.

What you said isn't the case at all honestly coming from someone who actually is here. There's a reason there's a lot of wait list movement usually because we take some of the same students as some MDs. Just had to correct you for the lurkers. Carry on and best of luck

That was unnecessarily harsh, in my opinion... I don’t think the person was trying to brag or that they came off poorly.

It’s extremely common for applicants to think “I got into X and not Y, even though X is way more selective than Y and Y was a better fit for me. How does that make sense?” At a purely logical level, it feels like an inconsistent outcome. When evaluating “inconsistencies” in our admission results, it can be tough for our brains to fully account for the process’s randomness and subjectivity, and for variation in the quality of our supplemental essays/interviews.

That was unnecessarily harsh, in my opinion... I don’t think the person was trying to brag or that they came off poorly.

It’s extremely common for applicants to think “I got into X and not Y, even though X is way more selective than Y and Y was a better fit for me. How does that make sense?” At a purely logical level, it feels like an inconsistent outcome. When evaluating “inconsistencies” in our admission results, it can be tough for our brains to fully account for the process’s randomness and subjectivity, and for variation in the quality of our supplemental essays/interviews.
That's in no way what she said or how she said it but whatever. I've sat on interviews, that is literally coming off terribly and its rarely an acceptance if you walk in the room with a 'I'm better than this place because of X and Y' attitude. Why would a school take someone like that when there are 100s of other qualified people who would love the chance at that spot? Its a myth that anyone cares where else you got in. If you applied, schools assume you would want to go there, or you wouldn't have accepted the interview.

I could care less if its unnecessarily harsh in an anonymous forum. Like I said, I'm correcting her incorrect statements for the lurkers, as I once was. SDN is filled with BS and it steered me wrong in the past. Sorry to offend you. On that note, I'm out.

I try to answer any PMs if ya have questions. I'm a second year who got my top choice for rotations next year FYI. Somebody did it for me before I started and it was immensely helpful. Best of luck

That's in no way what she said or how she said it but whatever. I've sat on interviews, that is literally coming off terribly and its rarely an acceptance if you walk in the room with a 'I'm better than this place because of X and Y' attitude. Why would a school take someone like that when there are 100s of other qualified people who would love the chance at that spot? Its a myth that anyone cares where else you got in. If you applied, schools assume you would want to go there, or you wouldn't have accepted the interview.

I could care less if its unnecessarily harsh in an anonymous forum. Like I said, I'm correcting her incorrect statements for the lurkers, as I once was. SDN is filled with BS and it steered me wrong in the past. Sorry to offend you. On that note, I'm out.

I try to answer any PMs if ya have questions. I'm a second year who got my top choice for rotations next year FYI. Somebody did it for me before I started and it was immensely helpful. Best of luck

Appreciate the contributions on here Chibucks. Good luck with your rotations!!

I really loved DMU but won't be attending. Withdrawing my acceptance this week. Hopefully one of you guys gets it. Keep believing!!