2017-2018 California University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hope I’m not the only one from 3/30 who still hasn’t heard anything...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 4/20
Waitlisted 5/2

Has anyone that was waitlisted actually been accepted or know when they will start pulling from the waitlist?

There will be in the permanent building, in two years. In the temp building, there's an anatomy lab with prosection + plastination.
Is the facility that they speak of for $40,000,000 just for the medical school? Not a hospital? And did they break ground? I know construction and we will all be gone rotating by the time we are M3. Am I correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think if current people with acceptances withdraw after they get in elsewhere, waitlist people have a chance to take those spots
I would bet yes, that waitlist people have a chance to fill any empty seat as soon as it comes open. Their answer was "as accepted students withdraw their acceptance and a spot in the class becomes available, you will be considered" which I read to mean that they'll keep their "accepted" tally at 60 at all times, not waiting until after all interviews are over to get back up to 60 if people drop before then. That seems to jibe with what they'd said earlier about issuing new acceptances on a rolling basis after accepting the first 60.

I think you have a shot still!

Is the facility that they speak of for $40,000,000 just for the medical school? Not a hospital? And did they break ground? I know construction and we will all be gone rotating by the time we are M3. Am I correct?

Not quite too sure if I'm interpreting the tail end of your post but yes. The anatomy lab will be in the new building. I am not sure if they have broken ground yet, perhaps one of the more recent interviewees can answer the question. But yes, part of the agreement between ARMC and CUSM was that the building must be complete by the time the first class starts its M3 year.

My understanding is that the new/permanent building will be right next to Arrowhead Hospital and it will constitute the CUSM campus, where the then-M1s and M2s, and their forthcoming Masters students, would take their courses and where the faculty and administration would sit. Since Arrowhead rotations will be reserved for CalMed students once the entering class gets to M3, seems reasonable that the now-entering class would have full access to the permanent building when it's done, although I'm not sure if that would mean access to the cadaver lab. I'll bet that could be arranged though, if that's something the entering class lobbies for.

I don't think they've broken ground yet.

^^^ @RecklessStarfish - you were faster on the draw this time! :)

Not quite too sure if I'm interpreting the tail end of your post but yes. The anatomy lab will be in the new building. I am not sure if they have broken ground yet, perhaps one of the more recent interviewees can answer the question. But yes, part of the agreement between ARMC and CUSM was that the building must be complete by the time the first class starts its M3 year.
Thank you both for answering me. I had no idea that there was an iron clad agreement about the building being finished by the time you all are M3s. Would I be annoying if I asked what the weekly schedule looks like. I have gotten 3 conflicting answers about what is mandatory and what days are not. Thanks guys so much for responding honestly and quickly.

Thank you both for answering me. I had no idea that there was an iron clad agreement about the building being finished by the time you all are M3s. Would I be annoying if I asked what the weekly schedule looks like. I have gotten 3 conflicting answers about what is mandatory and what days are not. Thanks guys so much for responding honestly and quickly.
I had a work emergency arise but I'll look it up in the student handbook later if no one else beats me to it. I think there are mandatory meetings on all days, iirc.

During the interview day they showed us an example week. I'll try and dig it up but I don't think we were given a copy of it (although I would love to be proven wrong if anyone has a copy of it).

If I remember correctly there is something mandatory every day. Usually a test/quiz of some kind, group based problem solving, clinical skills, anatomy labs, etc. However, there are no live lectures. All lectures are prerecorded over powerpoints and you are required to go through certain required lectures before coming to "class" for the day. There will also be weekly tests/quizs over lecture content and that content will be related to everything you go through in "class" that day or week. Here's a related quote from the handbook:

"Educational methods used in each course are all residential with the help of on-line instructional modalities and include voice-over lectures (PowerPoint Slides), flipped-classrooms, i-RATs (individual-Readiness Assurance/Assessment Tests), t-RATs, self-directed reading assignments, journal clubs, virtual microscopy, laboratories, and small-group problem-solving sessions within the context of clinical presentations. The Clinical Skills courses will utilize simulation including standardized patient encounters to allow the students to develop the clinical skills needed to advance to the required clinical clerkships. The Clinical Skills courses will also include a “Service Learning” experience in the local community"

I was not able to find an example week in the handbook unless I missed it somehow.

An additional bit I found on attendance during M1 & M2:

"Student attendance is mandatory for all “active learning” sessions and activities in which team accountability is required, i.e., clinical presentations, small group/team-based and/or problem-based learning sessions, laboratory activities, and flipped classroom discussion sessions with their associated i-RATs and t-RATs. Since all of the system-based courses are completely structured as “active learning” courses, attendance is mandatory for all courses of the first two academic years. Any student who misses more than 10% of any of the courses within the first two (2) years will be referred to the Associate Dean of Student Affairs and Admissions for consultation."

Y
During the interview day they showed us an example week. I'll try and dig it up but I don't think we were given a copy of it (although I would love to be proven wrong if anyone has a copy of it).

If I remember correctly there is something mandatory every day. Usually a test/quiz of some kind, group based problem solving, clinical skills, anatomy labs, etc. However, there are no live lectures. All lectures are prerecorded over powerpoints and you are required to go through certain required lectures before coming to "class" for the day. There will also be weekly tests/quizs over lecture content and that content will be related to everything you go through in "class" that day or week. Here's a related quote from the handbook:

"Educational methods used in each course are all residential with the help of on-line instructional modalities and include voice-over lectures (PowerPoint Slides), flipped-classrooms, i-RATs (individual-Readiness Assurance/Assessment Tests), t-RATs, self-directed reading assignments, journal clubs, virtual microscopy, laboratories, and small-group problem-solving sessions within the context of clinical presentations. The Clinical Skills courses will utilize simulation including standardized patient encounters to allow the students to develop the clinical skills needed to advance to the required clinical clerkships. The Clinical Skills courses will also include a “Service Learning” experience in the local community"

I was not able to find an example week in the handbook unless I missed it somehow.

"Student attendance is mandatory for all “active learning” sessions and activities in which team accountability is required, i.e., clinical presentations, small group/team-based and/or problem-based learning sessions, laboratory activities, and flipped classroom discussion sessions with their associated i-RATs and t-RATs. Since all of the system-based courses are completely structured as “active learning” courses, attendance is mandatory for all courses of the first two academic years. Any student who misses more than 10% of any of the courses within the first two (2) years will be referred to the Associate Dean of Student Affairs and Admissions for consultation."
Yup, i explicitly asked if attendance was mandatory everyday their answer was a definite yes.

I don't think we were given a copy of it (although I would love to be proven wrong if anyone has a copy of it).
I found it in our paper copy of one of the slide decks (attached), probably added after you interviewed.
Typical week would be:
Mon = 8am-noon, 2pm-4pm
Tue = 8am-10am + 2 hrs clinical skills group (in one of three time slots)
Wed/Th = 8am-10am, 11am-noon, 1pm-2:30pm
Fri = 8am-noon labs, 2pm-4pm
All of the in-between times are allotted to "Team Study Time" which could probably be off-campus (presumably somewhere nearby) if that worked for the group.
CalMed Sched.png

My understanding is that the new/permanent building will be right next to Arrowhead Hospital and it will constitute the CUSM campus, where the then-M1s and M2s, and their forthcoming Masters students, would take their courses and where the faculty and administration would sit. Since Arrowhead rotations will be reserved for CalMed students once the entering class gets to M3, seems reasonable that the now-entering class would have full access to the permanent building when it's done, although I'm not sure if that would mean access to the cadaver lab. I'll bet that could be arranged though, if that's something the entering class lobbies for.

I don't think they've broken ground yet.

^^^ @RecklessStarfish - you were faster on the draw this time! :)

This is correct. The med school is next to ARMC and construction has not started yet. As mentioned previously, they are changing the U shape of the building to L shape.

Y

Yup, i explicitly asked if attendance was mandatory everyday their answer was a definite yes.

Hi Thank you for the best detailed response ever. I really appreciate your candidness on all fronts. How can one not possibly get at least a 230 on the Step 1 with all the foolproof mechanisms and reinforced learning in place. Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I found it in our paper copy of one of the slide decks (attached), probably added after you interviewed.
Typical week would be:
Mon = 8am-noon, 2pm-4pm
Tue = 8am-10am + 2 hrs clinical skills group (in one of three time slots)
Wed/Th = 8am-10am, 11am-noon, 1pm-2:30pm
Fri = 8am-noon labs, 2pm-4pm
All of the in-between times are allotted to "Team Study Time" which could probably be off-campus (presumably somewhere nearby) if that worked for the group.
View attachment 233235
very helpful thank you

So they've released financial aid information. I'll give you a quick breakdown of what we're looking at here:

There are two separate applications available, one for merit based aid and one for need based.

Scholarships awarded in this way will last for all 4 years (as long as you maintain good academic standing).

Merit Based: Requires a 3.7 GPA or greater, a 514 MCAT or greater, a Resume to be submitted and a few short answer responses.

Award will be between $10,000 - $30,000

Need Based: Requires you to fill out a EFC (expected family contribution) calculator worksheet, submit a Resume and also answer a few short questions.

Award will be between $5,000 - $30,000

Applications are open from May 2nd to June 1st and everyone will receive notification on June 15th of their award.

You can apply to both but can only be awarded one (I'm assuming the one that is greater in amount).

The applications will be sent out via email from the Director of Financial Aid.
Did they send these to you or are they on the website or do you get them after you are accepted? Also did they say how much they have to dole out?

Hi everyone! Can anyone from the earlier interview dates let me know what time their day ended? I'm trying to book a flight out of CA and wondering if 5pm is cutting it close?

So they've released financial aid information. I'll give you a quick breakdown of what we're looking at here:

There are two separate applications available, one for merit based aid and one for need based.

Scholarships awarded in this way will last for all 4 years (as long as you maintain good academic standing).

Merit Based: Requires a 3.7 GPA or greater, a 514 MCAT or greater, a Resume to be submitted and a few short answer responses.

Award will be between $10,000 - $30,000

Need Based: Requires you to fill out a EFC (expected family contribution) calculator worksheet, submit a Resume and also answer a few short questions.

Award will be between $5,000 - $30,000

Applications are open from May 2nd to June 1st and everyone will receive notification on June 15th of their award.

You can apply to both but can only be awarded one (I'm assuming the one that is greater in amount).

The applications will be sent out via email from the Director of Financial Aid.
sorry i missed that the director sends them out. What happens if you accepted after June1 or do they plan on letting everyone know a decision?

Hi everyone! Can anyone from the earlier interview dates let me know what time their day ended? I'm trying to book a flight out of CA and wondering if 5pm is cutting it close?
my only choice was a 5:15 fit out. I emailed them and said I would be leaving at 3;30 would that be ok and they said sure. It ends anyway we would just miss the tour of the new building.

5 pm is cutting it close, i would say estimate it ends at 6 just to be safe. (of course only if your going to go to the arrowhead tour)

Depends on what airport

If we've received the "under consideration" e-mail post-interview, but no definitive "waitlist" e-mail, is that their polite way of saying we probably won't make it?

Did they send these to you or are they on the website or do you get them after you are accepted? Also did they say how much they have to dole out?

I was accepted several weeks ago and just got it via email a day ago so I would assume those whom are accepted henceforth will receive the email immediately. They didn't mention how much they have to give out, although that's definitely a good question as that would determine how competitive these scholarships may be.

sorry i missed that the director sends them out. What happens if you accepted after June1 or do they plan on letting everyone know a decision?

They didn't say what would happen if you were accepted after June 1st and were, therefore, outside of the scholarship application period. That would be a great question to ask though if anyone here has an interview date later this month. Or if anyone here is on the waitlist it might be good to ask what happens if they're accepted after the financial aid deadline.

Everyone who applies before the deadline of June 1st will learn what decision was made, altogether, on June the 15th. After that, if people are accepted late I can only guess that they may just get the "scraps" of whatever money is left or just may be out of luck unfortunately.

Sorry, I don't have the best answers to your questions.

If we've received the "under consideration" e-mail post-interview, but no definitive "waitlist" e-mail, is that their polite way of saying we probably won't make it?

A person was accepted after receiving the "under consideration" email above.

Which airport, Ontario? If so, then 5pm would be ok; if LAX or SNA, then you'd have to leave by 2pm to make a 5pm flight and you'd miss a good chunk of the afternoon and possibly even your one-on-one interview. We ended our day around 3:30pm, then had the hospital tour from 4pm-5pm. I would encourage you to stay for the tour if you can. It's an impressive facility.

Interviewed 4/16. Waitlisted 5/2. 514/3.74 OOS. But decided to withdraw today because I was just accepted off the WL at a school in my home-state. Good luck to everyone still waiting and to those already accepted! I was truly excited about this curriculum and think it will turn into a very unique institution.

Reactions: 2 users
I see 45 minutes for both the group activity and the one-on-one interview, how much time is allocated for each?

I see 45 minutes for both the group activity and the one-on-one interview, how much time is allocated for each?
The interview group is split into two with one doing the group activity while the other does their 1 on 1 interviews and then the groups switch so each are around 20 minutes with transition time between the switch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Interviewed 3/26 and have been doing my best to remain patient but the technical glitches and misdirected emails I've seen in these past few thread pages are adding to my anxiety. I got that "under consideration" email but nothing since. I'm just kinda worried that my admission status, whatever it actually is, was sent to some other person. At the same time I'd rather not directly call them and be that guy that annoys every admissions team.

lol @ the possibility they gave your decision to someone else

Interviewed 3/26 and have been doing my best to remain patient but the technical glitches and misdirected emails I've seen in these past few thread pages are adding to my anxiety. I got that "under consideration" email but nothing since. I'm just kinda worried that my admission status, whatever it actually is, was sent to some other person. At the same time I'd rather not directly call them and be that guy that annoys every admissions team.
bite the bullet and call.

I just interviewed today and they did mention that they were behind on processing applications. They are trying to get through everything as fast as they can but don't expect a quick response.

I got a link to access my resilience test but instead of showing me my results it made me answer the questions again (and I still can't see the results)?

I got a link to access my resilience test but instead of showing me my results it made me answer the questions again (and I still can't see the results)?
Same. I didn't see any way to contact them about it, either.

Maybe the whole point of the test is to see how resilient you are about taking the test again? ;)

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Maybe the whole point of the test is to see how resilient you are about taking the test again? ;)
Lol, I feel like my answers were the same, but I'd be curious to see!

Hi Dropped my interview for Friday and I am sure one of you guys will be invited in my place. Good Luck!

Also dropped my interview for Friday. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

4/23 interview, 5/2 waitlist
also got that email about the resilience test but also ended up answering again with no results.....

have there been any rumbles in the Facebook group about people withdrawing?
would really like some good news..hopefully there is movement by May 15th..?

also got that email about the resilience test but also ended up answering again with no results.....

Nothing like that happening on the FB group currently. A poll a while back though showed just under 10 people, I think, said they would go other places if accepted off the WL though. Seeing as how not everyone polled I'd estimate that there are comfortably around 15-20+ people who will give up their spot at CalMed if accepted other places, maybe more. It just depends on how WL's move at other schools.

The financial aid office emailed the Class of '22 to let us know that the private iHelp loans can actually cover a cost of attendance of $75,330.

Has there been any recent acceptances?

Interviewed 4/9 and have only received the "under consideration" email. :(

Has there been any recent acceptances?

Interviewed 4/9 and have only received the "under consideration" email. :(

Seems like they decided to actually waitlist people from later interviews but haven't gotten around to giving final decisions on earlier interviews.

Uh... I think I got rejected, but the email sent was not from admissions but from their marketing email? They wanted me to apply to their MBS program instead. I was under consideration for a while now.

Edit: I have no idea if this is legit or not. The subject line says: "How about a postbac program?" Does anyone have any advice on this?

Last edited:
Seems like they decided to actually waitlist people from later interviews but haven't gotten around to giving final decisions on earlier interviews.

Yeah, I noticed that too actually. May be because they want to compare earlier interviewees with the interviewees still left throughout this month!

40 people on the fb group right now. I agree with the other guy that it will just depend on WL movement, as we are past the april 30th cutoff. I think everyone is excited to see where the dust settles though. Good luck :) !

Yeah, I noticed that too actually. May be because they want to compare earlier interviewees with the interviewees still left throughout this month!

Either that or they realised its more efficient to just make a final decision on someone after fully reviewing them post interview rather than taking time to go back and reassess them repeatedly.

Uh... I think I got rejected, but the email sent was not from admissions but from their marketing email? They wanted me to apply to their MBS program instead. I was under consideration for a while now.

Edit: I have no idea if this is legit or not. The subject line says: "How about a postbac program?" Does anyone have any advice on this?

Did you have an early interview?