2017-2018 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They don't send you an email, create a Baylor account login and see it on the site.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

They do email. But you have the opportunity to start it before you receive your email

They don't send you an email, create a Baylor account login and see it on the site.
The reason I asked is, Albert Einstein said that you have to wait for email, or the application will be withdrawn. I want to make sure I am not doing something wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG_1299.PNG
They actually do send an email!

The reason I asked is, Albert Einstein said that you have to wait for email, or the application will be withdrawn. I want to make sure I am not doing something wrong.
You will not be censured for sending it in! Their website says the secondary is available 7/1 and that there is no screen for the secondary. This year they have also been sending out some emails with instructions and a link, as posted up by @Countdown117 .

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys know if BCM gives a preference to IS applicants first with regards to IIs?

Any current OOS med students care to chime in regarding what the committee is particularly looking for in OOS applicants? Does having TX ties give one an advantage?
I would say having some tie to TX definitely doesn't hurt. I had ties to TX, but some OOS students in my class don't (so its not necessary). As an OOS applicant you're gonna need (roughly, this isn't always the case) at least slightly above average stats, and you'll need to be a pretty darn good fit, in regards to personality, EC's, etc., for BCM. That being said, its not impossible. If you have any more specific questions feel free to PM me.

I would say having some tie to TX definitely doesn't hurt. I had ties to TX, but some OOS students in my class don't (so its not necessary). As an OOS applicant you're gonna need (roughly, this isn't always the case) at least slightly above average stats, and you'll need to be a pretty darn good fit, in regards to personality, EC's, etc., for BCM. That being said, its not impossible. If you have any more specific questions feel free to PM me.

is the median for BCM mcat rising?

Members don't see this ad :)
When Baylor only accepts letters less than a year old and my letters are dated July 2016. Sigggh.

Honestly, it seems like the median for most schools are slowly rising. It's sad
The bubble eventually pops as lower schools snag folks with high MCATs and the competition between top 20's gets more severe for the same x students. Just by sheer numbers, I think 56,000 people take the MCAT yearly and thus people in the 95th+ percentile only make up 2800 students. Some of those still don't get in to a school at all, many are MD/PhD, and etc. There's a limit to the madness, in short :)

Reactions: 1 users
Also side note, rescheduling here at Baylor isn't bad but I would advise against it if possible. I was originally scheduled for the 25th of August but have a conflict, asked for a reschedule immediately (you only get one) and the interview was moved 3 weeks later. I was under the impression the date wouldn't change very much but that may have just been wishful thinking on my part. Just a heads for anyone with a similar case in the future!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, it seems like the median for most schools are slowly rising. It's sad

nah I think just schools that undershot the new mcat because for baylor it was an old 35, and a 515 was only a 33-34, while a 517 matches exactly an old 35

nah I think just schools that undershot the new mcat because for baylor it was an old 35, and a 515 was only a 33-34, while a 517 matches exactly an old 35
A 517 is 97th percentile which would be higher than a 35. It's funny though because the AAMC expressly stated that they made the new MCAT with the +/- 2 CI (a 68% CI, mind you) with the intention that schools will use it more like a threshold than comparing a 515 to 517 or even a 513 to 517... but schools did it again anyway.

A 517 is 97th percentile which would be higher than a 35. It's funny though because the AAMC expressly stated that they made the new MCAT with the +/- 2 CI (a 68% CI, mind you) with the intention that schools will use it more like a threshold than comparing a 515 to 517 or even a 513 to 517... but schools did it again anyway.

its 95th percentile. And also, if schools take into account confidence intervals for everyone its literally the same as looking at just the median lmao

Last edited:
its 95th percentile. And also, if schools take into account confidence intervals for everyone its literally the same as looking at just the median lmao

My point is there's no statistically significant difference between someone who scores a 515 and 517, which the AAMC hoped to emphasize using the CIs but admissions committees have largely continued with business as usual. Yes it would be the same as looking at medians but the point would be to stop with the MCAT inflation because the numbers aren't particularly helpful in differentiating between students who are within 2-3 points of each other.

My point is there's no statistically significant difference between someone who scores a 515 and 517, which the AAMC hoped to emphasize using the CIs but admissions committees have largely continued with business as usual. Yes it would be the same as looking at medians but the point would be to stop with the MCAT inflation because the numbers aren't particularly helpful in differentiating between students who are within 2-3 points of each other.

I read the AAMC website and some medical schools have one committee member look at all the applicants with a certain score and only that score to reduce variability. That being said, I don't know if those schools give quotas to how many people they're allowed to call back for interview in a certain score range

I read the AAMC website and some medical schools have one committee member look at all the applicants with a certain score and only that score to reduce variability. That being said, I don't know if those schools give quotas to how many people they're allowed to call back for interview in a certain score range

I like that. It's so hard to maintain neutrality when you look at two numbers and one is higher than the other when really they don't mean much. It sort of reminds me of running the 40 at the NFL combine and how it might help you make a draft decision but it's not supposed to be the sole metric to use.

I like that. It's so hard to maintain neutrality when you look at two numbers and one is higher than the other when really they don't mean much. It sort of reminds me of running the 40 at the NFL combine and how it might help you make a draft decision but it's not supposed to be the sole metric to use.

If i were to guess it's just all computerized ranked by URM/MCAT

Just curious, how did you decide which schools to apply MD vs. MD/PhD for? And if you get into a school's MD/PhD program can you decide to not do the PhD anymore?

Umm i applied to mostly OOS research intensive schools with in state MD's as my fall back...if I can get into any MD/PHD program, I'd really like to do it. It's probable that you can opt out of the PHD, but I would hazard a guess that not many people do it considering they are probably the most prestigious programs to get into (it also seems like a scumbag idea to do).

How do I know if a certain course meets the school's expository writing credit? I took a humanities class that required intensive writing and it says on the website "expository writing requirement may be accomplished through coursework in a number of disciplines that require intensive writing".

But how will BCM know that my humanities class required intensive writing?

How do I know if a certain course meets the school's expository writing credit? I took a humanities class that required intensive writing and it says on the website "expository writing requirement may be accomplished through coursework in a number of disciplines that require intensive writing".

But how will BCM know that my humanities class required intensive writing?

ask em

II an hour ago; OOS; completed 7/7....very happy

II an hour ago.
LizzyM:75 and IS

Last edited:
BCM is my first II (received today)!
Complete 7/24 IS

Reactions: 4 users
II this morning! LizzyM 78, OOS, Complete 7/15

In the pre-interview portal, it asks to "upload scanned or digital photo." Does anyone know what the photo is supposed to be of? The applicant? The applicant's ID?

In the pre-interview portal, it asks to "upload scanned or digital photo." Does anyone know what the photo is supposed to be of? The applicant? The applicant's ID?
I used my picture I needed for one of the primaries.

I used my picture I needed for one of the primaries.

Yeah I initially thought it was supposed to be a picture of me, but it says "scanned," and that usually refers to things like IDs or passports and not digital photos that you can just directly upload...