2016-2017 Western Michigan University (Stryker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just released my interview slot for 3/10, hopefully someone else can take it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have some questions regarding clerkship and away rotation.

Can WMed students do away rotation during their 3rd year like doing neurology at a different institution? I think the application for residencies starts in June of 3rd year and I am wondering if it's possible to get at least one away rotation in before the dedicated USMLE Step 1 block in April.

Similarly, during 4th year, I see these "Advanced" electives. Are these done only at Bronson and Borgess?

I have some questions regarding clerkship and away rotation.

Can WMed students do away rotation during their 3rd year like doing neurology at a different institution? I think the application for residencies starts in June of 3rd year and I am wondering if it's possible to get at least one away rotation in before the dedicated USMLE Step 1 block in April.

Similarly, during 4th year, I see these "Advanced" electives. Are these done only at Bronson and Borgess?

re aways in 3rd year - Previously this was permitted (you would swap a 3rd year rotation for another), however the entire 3rd year schedule has recently been completely changed. The classes below mine will now have 11 week rotations, with some rotations being doubled (eg you take OB and Psychiatry at the same time)... I'm not sure how feasible it is to make that up in the 4th year, or to fill the time up with other rotations. I think that's a question that would have to be asked of the administration, not of current students (since no one has actually gone through that 3rd year setup yet).

The classes below mine will also now take Step1 in Jan/Feb, in the middle of their rotations, which also changes things in regards to your question.

However, the thing about applying to residencies...

Application for residency submits in September of 4th year. It opens in June that year (meaning you can put information in) but doesn't actually submit until September, and isn't reviewed until October of your 4th year (due to the way the system and most schools handle dean's letters).

There are currently 5 "advanced" electives required to be done "at home," ie at Bronson / Borgess or other sites affiliated with WMed. One month each of Emergency Medicine, ICU (peds, IM, or surgery), Inpatient (peds/IM/surgery/psych/OB I think will eventually be included), Outpatient (peds/IM/family), and one additional month-long elective "different from the others." So it can't be EM or any of the fields you do your other rotations in (eg if you did peds ICU, inpatient IM, and outpatient family, your "different" elective would have to be something like surgery, psych, or OBgyn).

Most of those would occur at Bronson or Borgess, but we're also affiliated with the local family health center and a number of private practices, meaning the outpatient required may be done somewhere that's not connected to Bronson or Borgess.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
re aways in 3rd year - Previously this was permitted (you would swap a 3rd year rotation for another), however the entire 3rd year schedule has recently been completely changed. The classes below mine will now have 11 week rotations, with some rotations being doubled (eg you take OB and Psychiatry at the same time)... I'm not sure how feasible it is to make that up in the 4th year, or to fill the time up with other rotations. I think that's a question that would have to be asked of the administration, not of current students (since no one has actually gone through that 3rd year setup yet).

The classes below mine will also now take Step1 in Jan/Feb, in the middle of their rotations, which also changes things in regards to your question.

However, the thing about applying to residencies...

Application for residency submits in September of 4th year. It opens in June that year (meaning you can put information in) but doesn't actually submit until September, and isn't reviewed until October of your 4th year (due to the way the system and most schools handle dean's letters).

There are currently 5 "advanced" electives required to be done "at home," ie at Bronson / Borgess or other sites affiliated with WMed. One month each of Emergency Medicine, ICU (peds, IM, or surgery), Inpatient (peds/IM/surgery/psych/OB I think will eventually be included), Outpatient (peds/IM/family), and one additional month-long elective "different from the others." So it can't be EM or any of the fields you do your other rotations in (eg if you did peds ICU, inpatient IM, and outpatient family, your "different" elective would have to be something like surgery, psych, or OBgyn).

Most of those would occur at Bronson or Borgess, but we're also affiliated with the local family health center and a number of private practices, meaning the outpatient required may be done somewhere that's not connected to Bronson or Borgess.
Thank you for the thorough response, @tellme_areyoufree !

Thank you for the thorough response, @tellme_areyoufree !

No prob; I just re-read my reply, and realized some of it might sound a little curt. Just starting my surgery rotation, so can I claim already being sleep-deprived as an excuse if any of it sounded overly direct or rude? (like correcting the applying to residencies info; you were thinking right, just had the wrong year)

If you're wondering about anything in regards to the actual rotations themselves, feel free to ask. 3rd year is pretty amazing.

I'm sure the M1s and M2s who read this thread will also respond to any questions about the first 2 years at WMed, as they have been doing.

No prob; I just re-read my reply, and realized some of it might sound a little curt. Just starting my surgery rotation, so can I claim already being sleep-deprived as an excuse if any of it sounded overly direct or rude? (like correcting the applying to residencies info; you were thinking right, just had the wrong year)

If you're wondering about anything in regards to the actual rotations themselves, feel free to ask. 3rd year is pretty amazing.

I'm sure the M1s and M2s who read this thread will also respond to any questions about the first 2 years at WMed, as they have been doing.

I did not think your response was in any way out of line! I really appreciate your comments and the fact you took the time out of your busy schedule to answer my questions. It was a big relief knowing when the residency application starts and when Step 1 will take place for my class.

I will take some time to think about what you said and do a bit more research on the different rotations like reading through the Handbook. I will definitely take up the offer to ask questions afterward.

Thank you again, and I hope your surgical rotation will get better...hopefully.

I did not think your response was in any way out of line! I really appreciate your comments and the fact you took the time out of your busy schedule to answer my questions. It was a big relief knowing when the residency application starts and when Step 1 will take place for my class.

I will take some time to think about what you said and do a bit more research on the different rotations like reading through the Handbook. I will definitely take up the offer to ask questions afterward.

Thank you again, and I hope your surgical rotation will get better...hopefully.

The student handbook will not reflect the current changes to the schedule for your class, so keep that in mind.

Do you believe the shift to 11 week rotations and doubling up on some rotations is a neutral change or improvement, and why?

Do you believe the shift to 11 week rotations and doubling up on some rotations is a neutral change or improvement, and why?

Well. None of us have gone through that curriculum yet, so I think it would be foolish to comment on whether it will produce good or bad results.

That said, I'm happy to be completing M3 before that change was made. Our class has consistently had shelf exam scores (the national test taken at the end of a clerkship) that have been above average. I think the M3 curriculum as originally designed was very good.

I hope the same "above average" trend holds true for the next class. Current M2s (about to be M3s) will probably have a lot to say about it in a year, after they've gone through it. I frankly have absolutely no clue whether it will be neutral, have a good impact, or have a negative impact. At the end of the day, there are incredible faculty and residents here (honestly), and I think no matter what the year looks like you'll be taught well and will have a good experience in that regard.

I think what it highlights is that WMed is receptive to its students. We in the Class of 2019 had a serious concern regarding the timing of our Step 1 examination, so we organized a proposal to solve this issue, and it was approved.

I'm also sure that this is not the final iteration of this schedule, and that it will change for subsequent classes based on outcomes and their feedback. It's not perfect and we know that. I personally would've rather seen a long/short schedule, but whatever, I'll have my Step 1 score back before VSAS and well before ERAS, so I'm happy!

Hello again. I'm just curious as to what kind of resources do professors use for class: powerpoint, written notes, etc. in addition to textbooks.

How often do they accept people from the wait list ? I have been on the waitlist since October.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello again. I'm just curious as to what kind of resources do professors use for class: powerpoint, written notes, etc. in addition to textbooks.

Ppt. & iBooks. That's about it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi everyone!

I was waitlisted at WMed last winter and haven't heard anything yet. I did send an update / letter of continued interest a couple months ago.

I really want to go here and I'm concerned that they may think because I'm pretty far OOS that I will turn it down or something like that. Should I consider sending an additional formal letter of intent saying that I will accept if offered admission? I don't want to seem like I'm sending them too many things though - it's hard to know what's acceptable I guess.

Thanks and congrats to those of you who are in already!

Hi @Tabs5150, sorry to hear about your situation. Keep your head up as it's not over yet! Although the school has preferred relationship with WMU and Kalamazoo College, the majority of students are from out of state (MSAR 2016: 37/60 OOS) so I hope your OOS status will not be detrimental to their consideration of your candidacy.

Having said, from what I've read in the book "The Medical School Interview" by Dr. Desai and Dr. Katta, the authors suggest you keep up with communication with the school without overdoing it can help your chances of admission. It seems to me that the admission committee at WMed is very friendly and might be more open about additional letters. At worst, you can ask directly whether it is ok for you to send in additional letters. The current students might have a better idea about this.

To quote from the book (which take quotes from various admission officers):

For cautionary purposes: "Among the pet-peeves were 'overly persistent individuals, who frequently email, call, or write to the admissions office. Excessiveness indicates a lack of patience and an abundance of self-importance." -David Travilsy, Former Assistant Dean of Admissions, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

However, an admission officer from Creighton University School of Medicine says, "The Office of Medical Admissions advises candidates on the alternate list to inform the committee of updates (particularly grade reports), and any new information will be evaluated with your current application...When communicating in response to a wait list notification, begin by thanking the school and enthusiastically reiterating your interest. You may also offer any updates that make you a stronger candidate..."

Since WMed actively reevaluates people on the wait list, anything new in the last couple of months might be taken into consideration. Personally, I don't think you will be overdoing it by sending a new letter if the last one was a couple of months ago.

This is just my 2 cents. I hope you'll hear good news soon!

Can anyone comment on whether the LCME provisional accreditation status affects away electives since most schools seem to require students' home institutions to be LCME accredited? Thank you.

Can anyone comment on whether the LCME provisional accreditation status affects away electives since most schools seem to require students' home institutions to be LCME accredited? Thank you.

Provisional accreditation means it is LCME accredited

Withdrew my acceptance today. Hope it goes to one of you guys. Good luck!

I was accepted last week from the wait list! Sent an update a few weeks before that expressing my continued interest. Don't give up hope!

class of 2020 here: i myself and a friend in the class both sent update letters while waitlisted, just FYI

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, did all interviewees get cards from their one-on-one interviewer? And were your interviewers extremely friendly? Mine were almost too friendly. I'm trying not to let it go to my head in case I'm setting myself up for a big disappointment.

Out of curiosity, did all interviewees get cards from their one-on-one interviewer? And were your interviewers extremely friendly? Mine were almost too friendly. I'm trying not to let it go to my head in case I'm setting myself up for a big disappointment.

I received a postcard from Ms. Shelton. Seems like other interviewees did also. In my personal experience, pretty much everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming, which is a good thing! I think it is ok to hope; you've done your best at the interview, so believe in yourself! No matter what happens, you'll be ok. I hope you get in, but there's always next year if you don't (I had to apply twice myself).

You've undoubtedly heard this before, but try not to go crazy waiting to hear back. You've done your best and the rest is out of your hands so there is absolutely no point in letting it wreck you.

For what it's worth, quite a few of the 2020 students got in off the waitlist. Many interviewed late. One of our classmates got off the wl the Friday before the first week of school. So, if the wait is killing you then just know that you're not alone--pretty much everyone is in the same boat.

Good luck!

Withdrew today - I hope my spot comes to one of y'all on the waitlist

Can current students comment on living in Kalamazoo? I didn't have much of a chance to drive around on interview day but what I saw of the area gave me mixed feelings. I am mostly concerned about safety. Also, what areas of town do most students live? Thank you.

Also didn't realize the crime rate is a tad high in Kalamazoo.

Edit: Having lived in Oakland, I guess it's not that bad.

Last edited:
Can current students comment on living in Kalamazoo? I didn't have much of a chance to drive around on interview day but what I saw of the area gave me mixed feelings. I am mostly concerned about safety. Also, what areas of town do most students live? Thank you.

Kalamazoo is actually pretty safe. Use common sense and be aware of your surroundings (like you should be doing anywhere else) and you will be just fine. I don't believe any med student has had any trouble since we've been here.

Many of us live in the Vine neighborhood or downtown area while others live further away from school. You will eventually get an information sheet from WMed Student Affairs with responses from current med students on their living situations and suggestions.

Interview 3/17 waitlisted today. Anyone know how often adcom meets? Trying to figure out best time to send update/interest letters...
But also, people from my day who got on should be hearing soon, so congrats!!!:clap:

Kalamazoo is fine; no need to worry about it. Just use common sense like you would in any town/city. There are certain neighborhoods that can be a little rougher than others, but even those areas are totally fine and have students living there.

As for where we live, we're scattered all over the place! Anywhere between G Ave and Sprinkle on the northeast side to Oshtemo Township over on the west side. I think some even live down in Portage. It's really NBD for the preclinical years.

Has anyone heard anything about deferring WMed for a year? Is it something anyone has done or can anyone comment on how easy/difficult it might be to defer admission for this school?

Last edited:
Anyone heard from the waitlist recently? Interviewed 2/10 and was waitlisted 3/2.

Anyone heard from the waitlist recently? Interviewed 2/10 and was waitlisted 3/2.

I heard everyone from waitlist got accepted at the last admissions meeting. Did they miss your application somehow?

Hey everyone, I withdrew my app and a half tuition scholarship.... Hope it goes to one of you ;)

Reactions: 3 users
when I called the admissions they said there will be lot of wait list movement in the next two months and they will start accepting people as the spots open up. Good Luck everyone !

To all those already accepted, I hope you are excited about second look day tomorrow! I look forward to meeting many of you on campus (and out downtown Kalamazoo afterwards!:) ). I know that as a whole, our M1 class is looking forward to welcoming you home to Wmed! Hopefully the weather cooperates and you have a great day/evening out in Kalamazoo.

I wanted to reach out and post because last year at this time I was anxiously waiting on WMed's waitlist - and scanning these message boards. There seemed to be a lot of waitlist movement in the spring ( I didn't get accepted until after second look day!).

Reactions: 4 users
For those who attended, how was Second Look Day?
Did they mention anything about when to expect a financial aid package?

Just so everyone knows, this is a P/F school with quartile rankings that are published on your MSPE.

I don't think this is clearly discussed during interviews, but it could greatly influence your decision to attend.

Just so everyone knows, this is a P/F school with quartile rankings that are published on your MSPE.

I don't think this is clearly discussed during interviews, but it could greatly influence your decision to attend.
What's the difference between this and other school's grading system? Pros and Cons ?? Thanks