2016-2017 Western Michigan University (Stryker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the difference between this and other school's grading system? Pros and Cons ?? Thanks

Different schools do it differently. Some are strict (or "true") pass/fail - ie no ranking, passing is passing is passing. Some are sort of pass/fail, and report quartiles ("pass is pass, except here's the 25% that passed with the highest scores, and here's the 25% that passed with the lowest scores). The person you were responding to was making it clear that WMed is one such school, a "sort of" pass/fail. Some report a rank ("This person passed and was ranked [3rd / 3rd from last] in their class"), and we don't do that.

Many (most?) current students had the impression that the school was true pass/fail, but it was recently made clear that we are ranked into quartiles which are reported as part of the "Dean's Letter" sent to residency programs to which students apply.

The pros are that the top 25% of the class gets a potential feather in their cap. The cons are that the bottom 25% (and one could argue the bottom 75%) get a negative by virtue of having it made explicit that they are not in that top 25%.

The counter argument is that Step1 scores should make your academic achievement clear, regardless of your quartile.

The counter-counter argument is that if that's the case, why report quartiles anyway?

It's not a simple issue, and it has not exactly gone over well among many current students. In all likelihood it will not make or break anyone's application to residency. At the same time, my sense of the prevailing sentiment is "why the hell would we include something that could still potentially hurt our classmates?"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Different schools do it differently. Some are strict (or "true") pass/fail - ie no ranking, passing is passing is passing. Some are sort of pass/fail, and report quartiles ("pass is pass, except here's the 25% that passed with the highest scores, and here's the 25% that passed with the lowest scores). The person you were responding to was making it clear that WMed is one such school, a "sort of" pass/fail. Some report a rank ("This person passed and was ranked [3rd / 3rd from last] in their class"), and we don't do that.

Many (most?) current students had the impression that the school was true pass/fail, but it was recently made clear that we are ranked into quartiles which are reported as part of the "Dean's Letter" sent to residency programs to which students apply.

The pros are that the top 25% of the class gets a potential feather in their cap. The cons are that the bottom 25% (and one could argue the bottom 75%) get a negative by virtue of having it made explicit that they are not in that top 25%.

The counter argument is that Step1 scores should make your academic achievement clear, regardless of your quartile.

The counter-counter argument is that if that's the case, why report quartiles anyway?

It's not a simple issue, and it has not exactly gone over well among many current students. In all likelihood it will not make or break anyone's application to residency. At the same time, my sense of the prevailing sentiment is "why the hell would we include something that could still potentially hurt our classmates?"
Thank you for explaining that so well.

For those who attended, how was Second Look Day?
Did they mention anything about when to expect a financial aid package?
+1 when will we get finaid package? i already got it at my other school and it would be really helpful to know so i can decide on committing either way

Members don't see this ad :)
any movement lately? :(

How do we view our financial aid information? I went through the original application portal, but when I click on the financial aid tab I don't see anything.

How do we view our financial aid information? I went through the original application portal, but when I click on the financial aid tab I don't see anything.
Did you receive an email regarding your financial aid award? Probably won't see anything until we receive a package from the office (I don't see anything either except the missing doc page and how much money is due for the first half year).

Edit: You might want to enter your SSN if you haven't already.

Did you receive an email regarding your financial aid award? Probably won't see anything until we receive a package from the office (I don't see anything either except the missing doc page and how much money is due for the first half year).

Edit: You might want to enter your SSN if you haven't already.
I've entered my ssn about a month ago and I've yet to receive any emails from the financial aid office. I was really hoping to see what my financial aid package would be like before making a decision.

I guess we're on the same boat, i just have a blank page when I click on my financial aid tab.

I've entered my ssn about a month ago and I've yet to receive any emails from the financial aid office. I was really hoping to see what my financial aid package would be like before making a decision.

I guess we're on the same boat, i just have a blank page when I click on my financial aid tab.

I contacted the financial aid office, and they said I can expect the package later today or tomorrow. They have been working hard to put together the awards for everyone. I will keep you updated!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew today. Good luck all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance and scholarship. Good Luck everyone!

Last edited:
I have the choice between attending this school or West Virginia University. I loved WMed when I interviewed but the lack of placement information is kind of scaring me away. Also, I feel like I'll still be a trial run for the school since I'd only be the 4th class. Are these fears valid enough for me to choose WVU instead?

Last edited:
How does WMed do anatomy if it's not dissection?

And does class of 2021 have 11 weeks of rotations?

How does WMed do anatomy if it's not dissection?

And does class of 2021 have 11 weeks of rotations?

Unsure about the anatomy part but yes, seems like class 2021 will have 11-week blocks of core rotations in 3rd year (Medicine and Neurology, Surgery, Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine/Family and Community Medicine, 6 weeks of dedicated Step 1 prep, then finally Women's Health/Psychiatry)

Accepted off the waitlist today. Interviewed February 10th, got waitlisted the following month. 3.45 GPA, 36 old MCAT. Out of state.

Congrats! Just curious - how many updates did you send since being waitlisted? Did you send them a letter of intent at all?

Accepted off the waitlist today. Interviewed Feb 10, 3.94 GPA and 512 MCAT.

Reactions: 4 users
Anymore withdrawals recently? :p Does anybody know how big the waitlist is?

Was accepted off the WL on Friday, interviewed 2/24. I will be declining the seat, hope it goes to one of you all!

Accepted off the waitlist!!! Interviewed 1/13, Waitlisted 1/31. Got a phone call this morning!

Is there a Facebook page or something for accepted students?

You'll get an email soon about acceptance info which include the FB page. I'll pm you the link.
Is there a Facebook page or something for accepted students?

Just accepted off the waitlist this morning :) Interviewed March 10. cGPA 3.5 MCAT 512 for those who wonder! Thanks so much to everyone in this thread for their help

Accepted this morning! Already looking at housing...I would prefer to live alone, but it looks like most 1 bedroom apartments within the area are taken. With that being said- anyone looking for a roommate? Guy or girl, doesn't matter to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted this morning! Already looking at housing...I would prefer to live alone, but it looks like most 1 bedroom apartments within the area are taken. With that being said- anyone looking for a roommate? Guy or girl, doesn't matter to me.

You'll get a link to the fb page soon, there's a roommate survey on there you can fill out to find someone!

Have the step 1 scores for the class of 2018 come back yet? Thanks!

Does anyone know if I still qualify for a merit scholarship this late in the game since I came off the wait list? This school is so expensive I'm feeling the pain of crushing debt one year in. I'm taking out 2x the amount of loans this year compared to a friend who will be attending another school.

Does anyone know if I still qualify for a merit scholarship this late in the game since I came off the wait list? This school is so expensive I'm feeling the pain of crushing debt one year in. I'm taking out 2x the amount of loans this year compared to a friend who will be attending another school.
That's hard to say. With your stats, you certainly deserve it. However, you are likely to get a more accurate answer by contacting the financial aid office. There's also a need-based scholarship you might be qualified for.

That's hard to say. With your stats, you certainly deserve it. However, you are likely to get a more accurate answer by contacting the financial aid office. There's also a need-based scholarship you might be qualified for.
I got the need based one but thank you!

I was accepted in May of last year and I was still offered a merit scholarship. I think most students in my class got a merit scholarship somewhere between 2-5,000?

Recently found out that the merit scholarship is only for the first year. The scholarships are reevaluated every year, and only the top quartile of our class had their merit scholarship renewed. (75% lost our scholarship without really any notice). Wouldn't have changed my decision to attend WMED at all, but thought you all should know!!! (As far as I know, need-based aid didn't change for anyone)

Side note: Kalamazoo is getting into its summer vibes☀️ this week! #loveThisCity

any waitlist movement recently or is it basically over? :(

I was accepted in May of last year and I was still offered a merit scholarship. I think most students in my class got a merit scholarship somewhere between 2-5,000?

Recently found out that the merit scholarship is only for the first year. The scholarships are reevaluated every year, and only the top quartile of our class had their merit scholarship renewed. (75% lost our scholarship without really any notice). Wouldn't have changed my decision to attend WMED at all, but thought you all should know!!! (As far as I know, need-based aid didn't change for anyone)

Side note: Kalamazoo is getting into its summer vibes☀️ this week! #loveThisCity

Thank you! This was really helpful!

From last year's thread:

"There are a couple parking lots available for rent around the medical school. One of the parking structure is covered and costs ~$90/month. Two other uncovered parking lots cost around $50/month. There are also limited paid street parking available on a 1st come 1st basis.

The school also has an uncovered parking lot about 2 blocks away that costs $30/month."

Can anyone log in to their xmed account right now? I know there was mention that the student portal would become available this week but I can't log into the initial system at the moment.
I'm having the same problem. I'm sure they'll address it soon.

Can anyone log in to their xmed account right now? I know there was mention that the student portal would become available this week but I can't log into the initial system at the moment.

I'm getting an "authorization missing" prompt as well. I'm thinking it's due to their moving us over to the student portal.

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone still in the running!