2016-2017 Western Michigan University (Stryker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got the phone interview just now was losing hope

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning! Phone interview was on 10/15. I was losing hope lol

Congrats, how did the phone interview go, wondering how to prep for it
Don't prep for it it's pretty hard to. Just answer the questions honestly and careful. When he asks you pause think and then compose yourself

Has anyone heard anything about scholarships yet? I think they said mid-Dec.

They completed my experience review 12/7 and now under consideration for phone interview. Anyone in the same boat as me? I wonder how likely I'll get a phone interview this late to the cycle. By the way, December is considered late for medical school application process, right???

I got the happy holidays email thinking it was an acceptance

Accepted!! Interviewed 12/9. They said they'd try to expedite the decision due to the holidays and they were true to their word.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!! Interviewed 12/9. They said they'd try to expedite the decision due to the holidays and they were true to their word.
You interviewed same day as me! But I was waitlisted... better than a rejection I guess. I called the office and they said they couldn't give me what percentage of people get off the WL, but there's "a lot of movement", so I have a "decent shot" and some people had already been accepted off the WL...

I just received a merit-scholarship from WMed. That was a great holiday surprise!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone remember if there was an essay on the secondary asking about plans until matriculation?
I've changed some plans and need to figure out if I need to update WMed.

Hello all! I was wondering if anyone knows when they will stop giving out IIs? I see people are still getting phone interviews in December so there is still hope!! :luck: I had my phone interview back in September that wasn't the greatest but I won't give up just yet...

Hello all! I was wondering if anyone knows when they will stop giving out IIs? I see people are still getting phone interviews in December so there is still hope!! :luck: I had my phone interview back in September that wasn't the greatest but I won't give up just yet...
I don't know exactly when they stop giving out IIs but, fwiw, I recently declined mine (after being accepted elsewhere). So there's at least one potential II floating around; here's to hoping good news comes your way soon! :)

Just withdrew from my int hope it goes to one of yall! best

does anyone have any suggestions for a good hotel nearby the campus? I have an interview this friday

does anyone have any suggestions for a good hotel nearby the campus? I have an interview this friday

The Radisson is really nice and literally about a 1 minute drive away. It was nice because I was able to walk around the town the night before. It's pretty pricy though.

Don't forget that wmed has special promos that you give to the hotel when booking that gives you a discount

Still have not moved into experiences review... complete in August

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Have there been any post phone II rejections?

Does anyone know when the next round of acceptances would be sent out ?

Just received an II! Secondary completed 9/16, Experience Review completed 9/29, Telephone Interview completed 10/6. There were slots available for both 1/13 and 1/27.

Just received a II as well! So excited! Supplemental complete 9/21, Experiences Review 10/4, Phone interview invite 12/4 and phone interview completed 12/27. There were slots available for both 1/13 and 1/27. Any advice with the interview guys?

Is there any part of the interview day that's outside? Trying to plan my footwear haha, I am not from the north

Phone interview invite! Experience review completed in early November.

Did anyone else on the wait list or plp waiting for an interview get two new tabs for events and financials?

Is there a student host program or anything for the interview? I have mine in early February and all of the lodging available around that time seems a bit much for me.

Is there a student host program or anything for the interview? I have mine in early February and all of the lodging available around that time seems a bit much for me.
Check AirBNB. There were some pretty reasonable prices there. I stayed in an awesome place that ended up being about $115 a night, which is a little steep, but it was within walking distance too.

How is the interview? Also, what's up with taking boards after third year?

Did anyone get accepted here recently? The last acceptance post I see is on December 21 st.

Unfortunately, official student host program is not currently available.

How is the interview? Also, what's up with taking boards after third year?

Apparently, the timing of Step1 has been moved up to February of 3rd year, with 6 weeks of dedicated preparation time, starting with class of 2019. Perhaps the M2s on here can speak to that better than me.

Apparently, the timing of Step1 has been moved up to February of 3rd year, with 6 weeks of dedicated preparation time, starting with class of 2019. Perhaps the M2s on here can speak to that better than me.

Sure! Here's our official class statement on the matter:

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Sure! Here's our official class statement on the matter:

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

It's interesting because I think a lot of the current M3s are happy our Step1 didn't get affected by that change. Having now actually gone through the curriculum, I very very very much see the value in taking Step1 later. If you had asked me at the start of M1 or start of M2 whether I'd like to take Step1 earlier, I probably would've said "yeah duh" - but if you asked me today I'd say "nope, pretty happy with where it is." Your experience in clerkships will be different all around though (a lot of us laughed out loud at the fact that you guys are getting 11 weeks of surgery) and that may affect how one feels about the timing of Step1. It will all certainly be interesting to watch :)