2016-2017 Western Michigan University (Stryker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congratulations !! when did you interview?
11/4, they are supposed to get your decision back within 3 weeks or less, my guess is they gave out decisions a little bit early considering the Thanksgiving holiday

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Accepted 11:06 EST. We probably met on Interview Day :).

Congratulations to you two as well! Accepted and I got my call at 8:41 PST! So happy and so excited, maybe I met you! I was part of that one loud table in the front :)

(also fun fact this is the first post I've ever made on SDN)

Reactions: 2 users
The school is gorgeous. You're willing to change your whole application plan based off a couple of sour posts, thus ignoring the years' worth of other posts praising the beautiful campus?

We have one of the best sim centers you'll ever see. The building was fully rehabbed within the last 5 years. I study in a meeting room that's nicer than the conference rooms I used to use at the two Fortune 500s I worked for. We have a huge amazing courtyard that's fantastic for laying in the sun and enjoying lunch.

My advice? Ignore SDN.
are there any pianos?

Hmmm, does anyone know when WMed lets people know about merit scholarships?

Also, can any current students comment on the amount of team/group-based learning that goes on? As someone who didn't like group projects in college, I'm wondering if I'd be unhappy at WMed because of this.

Last edited:
are there any pianos?

Yes, and people often stop and play by the entrance. (One year the head of the pediatrics department played holiday carols and the students sang ... it was all kinds of adorable)

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, and people often stop and play by the entrance. (One year the head of the pediatrics department played holiday carols and the students sang ... it was all kinds of adorable)
No way!! Awesome I love piano

Hmmm, does anyone know when WMed lets people know about merit scholarships?

Also, can any current students comment on the amount of team/group-based learning that goes on? As someone who didn't like group projects in college, I'm wondering if I'd be unhappy at WMed because of this.

It's different than college group projects. In college, there was the added stress of a grade at the end and not everyone was necessarily interested in doing work. In med school, you're surrounded by other folks who carried the weight for their college project teams, so you can assume everyone is at least going to put in half effort. Bonus: for TBLs, there's no project to complete; you just sit together for 2-3 hours and work through cases.

That said, instructors are adding more and more TBL events. When they're done right, it's not so bad. When they're not done right, the old saying of "half the learning in twice the time" hits a little too close to home.

If your choice is coming to WMed and doing TBLs or not going to med school, I think the answer is obvious.
If it's between WMed and another school that doesn't do TBL (does that even exist?), then it may be a factor to consider.

As an M2, my advice would be to not even worry about whether or not a curriculum includes TBLs. Worry about the more important things, like opportunities for students to get involved in research, complete away electives to boost residency applications, and success on Step 1.

Reactions: 4 users
It's different than college group projects. In college, there was the added stress of a grade at the end and not everyone was necessarily interested in doing work. In med school, you're surrounded by other folks who carried the weight for their college project teams, so you can assume everyone is at least going to put in half effort. Bonus: for TBLs, there's no project to complete; you just sit together for 2-3 hours and work through cases.

That said, instructors are adding more and more TBL events. When they're done right, it's not so bad. When they're not done right, the old saying of "half the learning in twice the time" hits a little too close to home.

If your choice is coming to WMed and doing TBLs or not going to med school, I think the answer is obvious.
If it's between WMed and another school that doesn't do TBL (does that even exist?), then it may be a factor to consider.

As an M2, my advice would be to not even worry about whether or not a curriculum includes TBLs. Worry about the more important things, like opportunities for students to get involved in research, complete away electives to boost residency applications, and success on Step 1.

Bert dropping knowledge bombs as always

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anybody recently get a letter from Western Michigan after interviewing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the procedure for update letters? I can't find anything in the update procedure

Just got a phone interview since submitting in July...haha it doesn't seem like I'm very desirable, but I guess its better than nothing so I'm grateful! Anyone have any advice?

Got a campus interview here. Idk if I will attend though after being accepted at MSUCOM.

I wonder when the 11/18 interviewees will hear by! Hopefully this week :)

date of II? when was your phone interview?
Phone interview was a month and a half ago. That's basically how it goes. Communication is on a monthly basis ahaha.

Phone interview was a month and a half ago. That's basically how it goes. Communication is on a monthly basis ahaha.

When did you get your campus interview? I did my phone interview on October 13 and still haven't heard back from them yet.

Accepted today! Was on the wait list and interviewed 11/4

I was also accepted off the wait list today.. Keep up hope everyone, the wait list is live and active!

Reactions: 4 users
I was also accepted off the wait list today.. Keep up hope everyone, the wait list is live and active!

Wooo congrats! That gives me so much hope! I was also waitlisted and interviewed on 11/4. Guess I didn't get in during this adcom meeting, hopefully I'll get accepted on the next one. :rolleyes:

Wooo congrats! That gives me so much hope! I was also waitlisted and interviewed on 11/4. Guess I didn't get in during this adcom meeting, hopefully I'll get accepted on the next one. :rolleyes:

Definitely keep faith... The wait list will move much more in the cycle.. I interviewed sometime the beginning of October. I will most likely be withdrawing this acceptance later in the cycle so hopefully it goes to one of you guys on the wait list :)

Does that mean they're done interviewing if they're already taking people off the WL? :cyclops:

Does that mean they're done interviewing if they're already taking people off the WL? :cyclops:

No! They have an active wait list that gets reviewed every time the committee meets. Being on the wait list here is much different than most schools

Interviewing here this Friday. For those of you OOS, were supposed to get quite a snow storm fyi.

my secondary was submitted 9/13 and I'm still not in the experiences review lmao is this a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anybody know if there is a way to respond to their admission offer online?

Edit: Just declined my admission offer.. hope the spot goes to one of you wonderful people!

Last edited:
can anyone share the info as to how many people Western Michigan interviews and how many are accepted? IS and OOS. Thanks

Omg I got a letter in the mail about being accepted today after interviewing 11/4 and being waitlisted!!!! :soexcited:

But I didn't even get an email or a phone call. Ahhhhhh I can't believe it! Is this real life?!

Omg I got a letter in the mail about being accepted today after interviewing 11/4 and being waitlisted!!!! :soexcited:

But I didn't even get an email or a phone call. Ahhhhhh I can't believe it! Is this real life?!

Congrats!!! Did your portal change? I'm on the waitlist as well, and I would hate to miss an acceptance since I recently moved...

Congrats!!! Did your portal change? I'm on the waitlist as well, and I would hate to miss an acceptance since I recently moved...

There's no portal change yet, it still says I was waitlisted 11/22

accepted off waitlist - interviewed late September

congratulations !! did they send you an Email? Have sent any updates after you were waitlisted ? Thanks

Thanks! I just got email from the dean. I did not send any updates or LOIs. However, I was planning to send one next month.

Does sending in the acceptance form mean that I will attend in August? The wording seems to be more like that than just holding my spot.

Reactions: 1 users
II this morning. Not sure if I will attend or not.

Reactions: 1 users
I had my phone interview in mid August. Should I assume that I'm not getting a campus II here?