2016-2017 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
July. Although highly certain that has no impact.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Well, not sure what you mean by impact, but I was trying to gauge whether they'd gotten to me in the rejection pile based on completion date. Which I think generally follows pretty chronologically at the rejection stage. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are more acceptances coming out next Tuesday, December 20, 2016? Do they sometimes do them earlier?
I think they only send decisions earlier if the 20th falls on a Friday, weekend, or holiday. You will probably hear right on the 20th.

Reactions: 1 user
Are more acceptances coming out next Tuesday, December 20, 2016? Do they sometimes do them earlier?

They sent the first batch about 12 hours early and based on past threads, they are sometimes a day or two early. So it's possible, but I wouldn't expect it.

Would anyone who has been accepted mind posting their stats and when they applied?

Would anyone who has been accepted mind posting their stats and when they applied?
Application complete in Mid-July. II on Labor Day for an interview in late October. I don't feel comfortable sharing exact stats but lets just say I didn't think I would get into Michigan in my wildest dreams. Fortunately they care a lot about extra-curriculars and life experiences lol

Application complete in Mid-July. II on Labor Day for an interview in late October. I don't feel comfortable sharing exact stats but lets just say I didn't think I would get into Michigan in my wildest dreams. Fortunately they care a lot about extra-curriculars and life experiences lol
How'd your interview go? I just keep thinking again and again about my interview... It is possible to still do well overall if my application is strong but I screwed my interview a little due to awkwardness (didn't say anything wrong or bad though).?

I've never been this neurotic in my life!

How'd your interview go? I just keep thinking again and again about my interview... It is possible to still do well overall if my application is strong but I screwed my interview a little due to awkwardness (didn't say anything wrong or bad though).?

I'm sure you weren't as awkward as you think! They know everyone is nervous and that is okay. I totally feel you though the month between my interview and my acceptance date was the loooooongest month of my life. I felt okay about the long interviews mainly because during those I didn't even feel like I was being interviewed. But I dissected the hell out of every thing I said and did during the MMI. I think it's hard to gauge how you did on those because you don't get a lot of feedback from the actor or other person in the room...I had no idea if I was saying the right things or was totally out of line.

I'm still an applicant, so take what i say with a grain of salt, but imo, in med school interviews, especially one at a top tier school like michigan, nearly everyone will at least do "fine". the question is who really stands out?

I'm still an applicant, so take what i say with a grain of salt, but imo, in med school interviews, especially one at a top tier school like michigan, nearly everyone will at least do "fine". the question is who really stands out?
Makes sense... To be honest, I didn't think I would even get an interview being out-of-state and having a relatively lower GPA. I had a pretty crazy life and I think that might be what got their interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes sense... To be honest, I didn't think I would even get an interview being out-of-state and having a relatively lower GPA. I had a pretty crazy life and I think that might be what got their interest.
It sounds you and I are in similar situations. All we talked about during my interviews was all the weird and random stuff I have studied and done in my life. They seemed to care a lot about what I learned from those experiences, even if they weren't medical-related, which I thought was pretty awesome.

Appreciate it, thanks

TODAY IS THE HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!

HIGH 60S, LOW 70S LizzyM!!! NON-TRADITIONAL, NON-US RESIDENT, AND ORM!!! INTERVIEWED IN NOVEMBER!!!

Reactions: 14 users
Deferred. Any idea on what my chances are here?

Accepted! Interviewed early Nov.

Reactions: 4 users
They don't reject people this early, so does deferred basically turn into a rejection?

They don't reject people this early, so does deferred basically turn into a rejection?
They've been rejecting people this week. But they were pre-II, so who knows.
Also, if you look thru past years threads, there's handfuls of people whove been accepted after deferrals, so sont give up.

Yeah I meant that they don't post II reject people at this point, so deferred is basically the worst you can get...

Does anyone know the timeline for merit scholarship dispersal? I forget what they said at interview day

does anyone know if II are still going to be given out? and for how long?

Anyone know when deferred students may start getting in?

Anyone have any advice on the interview here?

If you can, go to the Thursday night activities. Those will give you a chance to unwind and meet students and other interviewees, and there's nothing better than a few familiar faces when you arrive Friday morning. And on Friday, have fun. Seriously. UMich won me over with their interview day. It's a full but low-stress day, and the faculty, staff, and students are kind and personable. Interviews and MMIs are before lunch, which I like because you get it out of the way before the Untour. Of the five interviews I've been on so far, this was by far my favorite one. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask. Best of luck!

If you can, go to the Thursday night activities. Those will give you a chance to unwind and meet students and other interviewees, and there's nothing better than a few familiar faces when you arrive Friday morning. And on Friday, have fun. Seriously. UMich won me over with their interview day. It's a full but low-stress day, and the faculty, staff, and students are kind and personable. Interviews and MMIs are before lunch, which I like because you get it out of the way before the Untour. Of the five interviews I've been on so far, this was by far my favorite one. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask. Best of luck!
I second this. The whole thing was low stress and a lot of fun. Especially the Untour.

Thank you for the advice. I plan to go to the dinner the night before. Three hours of interviewing seems intense, so I am glad it is relatively low stress. I was thinking of reading up on current events in health care and common ethical dilemmas prior to the interview. Any other things you would recommend I do?

I second this. The whole thing was low stress and a lot of fun. Especially the Untour.

The Untour seems pretty fun from the pictures and videos that I have seen on Instagram. I am glad it was fun and you had a great time. I hope you get accepted!

Thank you for the advice. I plan to go to the dinner the night before. Three hours of interviewing seems intense, so I am glad it is relatively low stress. I was thinking of reading up on current events in health care and common ethical dilemmas prior to the interview. Any other things you would recommend I do?

You will be fine. Michigan has one of the highest post-interview acceptance rates. They mainly use the interview as a recruiting tool. Just enjoy the day.

Reactions: 1 users
You will be fine. Michigan has one of the highest post-interview acceptance rates. They mainly use the interview as a recruiting tool. Just enjoy the day.
I wouldn't underestimate it. While 60ish% is still decently high, that still means almost half of the interviewees dont get in.
You still need to put in an effort.
Meanwhile I'm going to sit here counting my ever increasing number of gray hairs for the next 30ish days until I hear back my decision.....

I wouldn't underestimate it. While 60ish% is still decently high, that still means almost half of the interviewees dont get in.
You still need to put in an effort.
Meanwhile I'm going to sit here counting my ever increasing number of gray hairs for the next 30ish days until I hear back my decision.....

I definitely will not underestimate it. I want to go here BAD lol. I will do some prep because I tend to struggle on ethical questions and hypothetical scenarios. I really hope you do get in (I've seen your past posts). Its been 5+ months since I submitted my secondary, but it was well worth the wait.

I third this. Also at the beginning the dean gives a great motivational speech that got me super excited
Anyone have any advice on the interview here?

Practice the MMI format to get a sense of the time limit. I had my friend Google a couple MMI questions and I did them in real time. The UMich career website has several actually. Review your application and make sure you can talk about everything on it. I know that seems silly but it is the easiest way to prepare for the two long form interviews. If you submitted your application months before your interview you might not remember everything.

Got a congratulation letter from a M2 student, but I have't got an "official acceptance letter," anyone in the same situation as me? Is that an acceptance or not? I am sooo anxious cuz this good news looks unreal to me!

Got a congratulation letter from a M2 student, but I have't got an "official acceptance letter," anyone in the same situation as me? Is that an acceptance or not? I am sooo anxious cuz this good news looks unreal to me!
Did you check your spam email box? Maybe you got something last week?
When did you interview, btw?

You're in, check your "checklist" in your portal. The actual notification was that video Carol sent you last week that I disregarded bc it seemed like marketing spam haha, so I'm guessing you did the same.

Did you check your spam email box? Maybe you got something last week?
When did you interview, btw?

I found it! It was not in spam, but somehow it only showed up when I searched for Carol's name.
Anyways, my interview was on 11/11

You're in, check your "checklist" in your portal. The actual notification was that video Carol sent you last week that I disregarded bc it seemed like marketing spam haha, so I'm guessing you did the same.

Thanks a lot! The video is so cute!

and it looks like 80 more II meaning that all those who have yet to receive interviews will have stiff competition from those who already have interviwed and haven't heard back yet
Eh. Shouldnt be much more than usual. About 60% post-II acceptance still adds up.

and it looks like 80 more II meaning that all those who have yet to receive interviews will have stiff competition from those who already have interviwed and haven't heard back yet

Last year only 529 individuals were invited to interview.