2016-2017 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How low are we talking? Likeeeee 67 ;)
Lower. 61-64 depending on if you factor in postbac GPA recovery.
my stats aren't stellar but i have about 900 hours of research and a first author abstract presentation at a national conference so i hope that will help me get me a secondary here!
Good luck! My stats aren't too high either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Will they let us know if they do not plan to send us secondaries lol

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG OMG +1 secondary! I can't believe I made it through the screen! I added this school as a super reach moments before I submitted my AMCAS!

OOS LizzyM ~ 70

Reactions: 1 user
YAY secondary OOS with preeeeetty low stats but tons of ECs, first author review publication, tons of volunteering, etc. and verified right after submitting my primary on 6/7!

Anyone verified in mid-late July with a secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
YAY secondary OOS with preeeeetty low stats but tons of ECs, first author review publication, tons of volunteering, etc. and verified right after submitting my primary on 6/7!

is your 1st author publication under review or accepted? mine is still under review so i hope they still consider it (wrote about it in my research activities slot and its in my PIs LOR-but i didnt make a separate publications tab in primary activities sectin for it since it hasnt been accepted yet)

Any MSTP applicants hear back yet? Its the only secondary i haven't received yet but judging from the past couple of posts I won't hear back for a while.... verified 7/11.. :( LizzyM 75

I received the secondary like 3 weeks ago (MSTP) but I haven't heard about invites yet.

is your 1st author publication under review or accepted? mine is still under review so i hope they still consider it (wrote about it in my research activities slot and its in my PIs LOR-but i didnt make a separate publications tab in primary activities sectin for it since it hasnt been accepted yet)
Still under review, but I did the same thing and just said it was expected to be published late summer which is true so hopefully it still counts!

To everyone who got a secondary so far, was the secondary app instruction email the first email you received from UCSF? Still waiting on a secondary, but haven't heard anything from them... not even an "application receipt" after having my primary verified.

To everyone who got a secondary so far, was the secondary app instruction email the first email you received from UCSF? Still waiting on a secondary, but haven't heard anything from them... not even an "application receipt" after having my primary verified.

Yup, it is the first email of contact!

Verified 6/29, Received secondary at 9 PM EST

Secondary received tonight, verified 7/6, IS

Still under review, but I did the same thing and just said it was expected to be published late summer which is true so hopefully it still counts!

oh okay awesome! i just hope mine wasnt overlooked since its in the research slot

I just got a secondary!!!! OOS, verified 6/17, 513 MCAT, 3.97 masters GPA, lower ugpa

has anyone been rejected yet? verified 6/24 and crickets.

although, they aren't sending acknowledgement emails, are they?

Just got secondary! IS, LizzyM 72-73
Verified 7/1
Finally have all the UC's!

can anyone with a secondary confirm the PRIME questions are the same as last year?

MD+PRIME
Please describe your experiences with underserved communities, community-based work, leadership roles, and commitment to working with the urban underserved. 500 words

How will you balance PRIME-US with your academic responsibilities and personal life? 250 words

can anyone with a secondary confirm the PRIME questions are the same as last year?

MD+PRIME
Please describe your experiences with underserved communities, community-based work, leadership roles, and commitment to working with the urban underserved. 500 words

How will you balance PRIME-US with your academic responsibilities and personal life? 250 words

Questions for PRIME-US:

1. Please describe your commitment to working with the urban underserved, highlighting experiences with underserved communities and community-based work. Be sure to mention any leadership and/or team-member roles you’ve played. (500 words)

2. PRIME-US requires a commitment above and beyond the regular medical school curriculum. You will be expected to spend time participating in small group activities and engaging with underserved communities in the Bay Area. Please answer the following questions:
How will you balance PRIME-US with your academic responsibilities and personal life? (250 words)

3. What will you bring to PRIME-US? (250 words)

4. What do you hope to get out of PRIME-US? (250 words)

Anyone applying MD/PhD receive a secondary yet? I submitted primary 6/14 and UCSF is the only one I haven't received a secondary from. Already got interview invites...
LizzyM 81, ivy league, great research, etc., so I'm wondering if something went wrong with AMCAS and they forgot to send my application or my letters got lost or something. Since it's already the start of August would it be reasonable to call them and ask?

Anyone applying MD/PhD receive a secondary yet? I submitted primary 6/14 and UCSF is the only one I haven't received a secondary from. Already got interview invites...LizzyM 81, ivy league, great research, etc., so I'm wondering if something went wrong with AMCAS and they forgot to send my application or my letters got lost or something. Since it's already the start of August would it be reasonable to call them and ask?

@redraincoat13 I submitted on 6/17 and got verified on 7/11. Still no secondary. I actually did call them and they said they wont be able to tell me if my application was in review but they were able to confirm that they received my application. They also said that it takes 8-12 weeks for review after they receive it. I was told to call them back if I hadn't heard anything in six weeks.... Maybe their MSTP review takes a long time I really don't know. If you dont mind sharing can you post your interview invites to the Md/PHd interview thread?

Last edited:
when do the first IIs start rolling out for here and UCLA usually?

Can someone post what the secondary essay questions are?

Holding out hope that I'll receive one soon, and I should probably prewrite.

If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)

Applicants are interviewed by invitation only. Please note that we do not conduct regional interviews. Interviews are scheduled from September to February (days vary). Please let us know if you will be out of the country during the interview season. (300 characters)

May the Force be with you!!! :luck::luck::luck::luck:
parnassus_aerial2.jpg

Can someone post what the secondary essay questions are?

Holding out hope that I'll receive one soon, and I should probably prewrite.

It's just those optional ones at the top :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So did anyone write anywhere near 500 words for the optional activities essay? I just wrote what I'm doing during the app year, and a few small developments in my current activities, for a total of about 100 words.

Surely they don't want more regurgitation of my app activities....

So did anyone write anywhere near 500 words for the optional activities essay? I just wrote what I'm doing during the app year, and a few small developments in my current activities, for a total of about 100 words.

Surely they don't want more regurgitation of my app activities....
Nope. Just talked about my gap year plans (~135 words)

EDIT: words

just finally received the secondary!!! Was getting worried for a second...verified 6/30 IS

If I apply for PRIME, will I also be considered for the regular MD program? Or is it one or the other?