2016-2017 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm definitely in the same boat . . . LizzyM >80, relatively meh ECs, no secondary yet. Verified 6/16

It also could be that I have yet to submit my LORs due to one of my science letter writers being late. Sadly it's for a good reason so I don't want to harry her too much about it, but I'm getting more and more antsy . . .

All my LORs are in, LizzyM 77-78 and a bunch of clinical experience.

I think my neuroticism is just kicking in haha

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received!

Members don't see this ad :)

Wait. We're not expected to send LORs to UCSF until we've received a secondary from them, right?

Pleasantly shocked to get a secondary invite today :cat:

LizzyM ~73; IS

UCSF is a school that I considered a Hail Mary application.....

Reactions: 2 users
Wait. We're not expected to send LORs to UCSF until we've received a secondary from them, right?
Really? I always assumed that it was better to assign LORs so schools have them on hand immediately when needed.

Got my secondary!

LizzyM at a 67.8 IS and Asian Male (there's hope..!)

Does anyone have any information on the PRIME program?

Reactions: 3 users
.....does anyone else not have any real updates?

I started working full-time and resumed volunteering (which were both on my primary)........aaaand that's it. Honestly between that and app season I don't have time at all so......hopefully it doesn't count against me much?:shrug:

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone receiving a secondary
So did you end up leaving it blank?

This question is all that matters. For real.

Congrats to everyone receiving a secondary invite. It is such an honor to be considered by UCSF. I hope some of us are fortunate enough to meet and talk about these posts one day.

Reactions: 1 users
.....does anyone else not have any real updates?

I started working full-time and resumed volunteering (which were both on my primary)........aaaand that's it. Honestly between that and app season I don't have time at all so......hopefully it doesn't count against me much?:shrug:
I wrote a diversity essay because I'm Middle Eastern and went to visit to where my family's from for the first time in ten years two weeks ago after dealing with war there... Lol
So it's sorta an activity. A bit of a stretch but it worked I guess? Already submitted the secondary

I got a secondary, and my LOR weren't in because still waiting on my committee letter. Youll prob get one soon! Just try not to think about it (although that's impossible)

Is this one of those essays we should def fill in? I want to put in a diversity statement, but it's asking specifically about activities, and I don't have any updates lol.

To add to what's been said already, you don't need to fill out the essay if you have nothing to add to your application! I left it blank when I applied, and still got an interview a few months later.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be bad to expand on my current full time work? Obviously I wrote about it in my primary, but I just wanted to give a more thorough explanation and talk about where we are in our projects now, etc. Nothing entirely novel but a few things that I didn't include before.

Would it be bad to expand on my current full time work? Obviously I wrote about it in my primary, but I just wanted to give a more thorough explanation and talk about where we are in our projects now, etc. Nothing entirely novel but a few things that I didn't include before.
That's exactly what I did on my ucsf secondary. Worked out fine.

Congrats @flumadiddle !

Also quick question... In the email of the secondary invite, they said it needs to be complete in four weeks. Is that just the secondary application itself or does it include LOR too? I'm still waiting on my committee letter and not sure when it will come in..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So confused about their secondary. I'm tfa so can I talk about why I did tfa and how that's impacted me to go into medicine or something?

Congrats @flumadiddle !

Also quick question... In the email of the secondary invite, they said it needs to be complete in four weeks. Is that just the secondary application itself or does it include LOR too? I'm still waiting on my committee letter and not sure when it will come in..

I think it's just for the secondary application itself. But you can call them to make sure?

Last edited:
Just got the secondary! Hope does exist *sob*.

I love this school! I'm so happy to have received a secondary!

Last edited:
Received a secondary! Best of luck, everyone!

For those who just got secondary, what is your app submission date ?

Last edited:
I have pretty good stats and great research and shtuff. Verified 6/25 still nothing :((((((

I have pretty good stats and great research and shtuff. Verified 6/25 still nothing :((((((
Way too early to start worrying. If it makes you feel better, I've been verified since 6/15 and I'm still waiting on UCLA (got all the rest) :eek: Maintain hope and just keep waiting!

Way too early to start worrying. If it makes you feel better, I've been verified since 6/15 and I'm still waiting on UCLA (got all the rest) :eek: Maintain hope and just keep waiting!
I got UCSD super early and I graduated from there so for some reason I'm panicking more about not getting SF lol idk

I got UCSD super early and I graduated from there so for some reason I'm panicking more about not getting SF lol idk
Welp panicking doesn't help with the wait. Believe me, I've been checking my UCLA portal daily :( Stay hopeful!

Got a secondary on 7/14 OOS. I was tempted to put my diversity essay, but ended up writing about study abroad instead!

Do you think the extra information space is a good place to talk about gap year plans? Or are they mainly focusing on new activities since the primary?

Do you think the extra information space is a good place to talk about gap year plans? Or are they mainly focusing on new activities since the primary?

I talked about my gap year plans

Did anyone decide to leave the second essay blank? I didn't really think that anything needed more explaining or additional information and didn't really want to ramble on unnecessarily so I left it blank. I hope "If you wish..." really does mean that.

It really seemed like there weren't any essays to write, just biographical and demographical bubbles to select.

Last edited:
My n=1 story about the optional essay is that when I applied last year I ended up getting lazy and not writing anything for it. I ended up getting an II so it really is optional and dont feel pressured to write anything

Hey, so if I apply to JMP, will my application be processed for MD only also? By this, I mean, will I be applying to MD/JMP and MD through my one application?

Hey, so if I apply to JMP, will my application be processed for MD only also? By this, I mean, will I be applying to MD/JMP and MD through my one application?

JMP stands for Joint Medical Program, which is a five-year graduate/medical degree program. MD is just the medical degree program, so MD/JMP is both.

Good luck.

I mean, does the JMP decision affect the MD decision?

It's a good questions that only UCSF ADCOM could answer.

I imagine it could affect the decision--due to sharing a database with a JMP or MD review already available--but it's likely that the committee takes steps to keep intermediate reviews hidden from each other during the process.

Has anyone verified on 6/27 received a secondary?

I was verified on 6/27 but still waiting on secondary as well...

I was verified 6/22, waiting for both UCSF and UCLA lol

Yes actually waiting on just ucsf and ucla for ucs lol. In state, got the others already

Same here, good to hear I'm not the only one :) How are all your apps coming along?

I'm mostly caught up now with the secondaries that I have received, but still waiting on UCSF, UCLA, and Northwestern. Hoping we are just in a later batch!