2016-2017 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else go through that JMP document share from Tracey and get extremely intimidated?

First exam on the second week, weekly exams, cumulated exam in the 5th week?!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

One of my physician mentors told me how on he was laying down on the grass on a beautiful summer day in Boston eating a free lunch on his orientation day to med school. An MS3 told him "enjoy it because this is the last day of your life where you'll feel there are enough hours in the day." And so far that MS3 has been right. Not that your life will suck. But from day 1 of med school--probably through to at least your first few years as an attending doc--you definitely feel like it's a whirlwind that just never stops.

Members don't see this ad.

Got accepted off the WL May 2nd, officially committed today! ( IS)
It still doesn't seem real!

-Parent Federal Tax Return (unless you're older than a certain age)

Sadly, just to correct this misconception, UCSF never considers students (of any age) financially independent of their parents (without having gone through a legal estrangement). So if you wish to be considered for need-based aid provide them parental information regardless of your own age, marital status, or even if you have kids of you own. I respect that they are trying to do what they can with limited resources.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they give you time to review Finaid before you commit?
Not sure about that as it takes about a week to process the package.

I'm not sure about the age requirement to waive parent financial info. The finaid personnel told me it was 30 but I could've misheard/misinterpreted, so call them to verify.

I'm not sure about the age requirement to waive parent financial info. The finaid personnel told me it was 30 but I could've misheard/misinterpreted, so call them to verify.

I asked about it in person, and they said 7 years ago they changed the policy so that for medical students (not other graduate/professional students) parent tax returns are required regardless of student's age. They just don't have the money schools like Stanford/Harvard/WashU do to do this. They said it would take the whole UC system changing their policy in order to allow UCSF to consider medical student over 30 financially independent again. Kind of sucks for someone with retired parents caring for a disabled sibling who don't feel they are in the position to contribute. But lots of medical students without the opportunity to attend a school with the reputation of UCSF manage taking out loans and eventually paying them off. Even if it is nerve-racking, in the long run it will be OK. :)

Congratulations to those accepted off the waitlist!

Called several days ago and they said that there's still movement going on, but can't disclose when more decisions will come out. :dead:

Reactions: 2 users
Called several days ago and they said that there's still movement going on, but can't disclose when more decisions will come out. :dead:

Ugh, the wait continues I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
I will be applying to medical schools soon, and I was wondering what the applicant pool was like at UCSF. When you all went on your interviews, did you notice that most of the applicants were from top 10 undergrad schools or was there more diversity? I have a 76 LM score, but I'm just concerned that my undergrad school (which is a CSU) will play a negative role in how the adcom views my application.

I will be applying to medical schools soon, and I was wondering what the applicant pool was like at UCSF. When you all went on your interviews, did you notice that most of the applicants were from top 10 undergrad schools or was there more diversity? I have a 76 LM score, but I'm just concerned that my undergrad school (which is a CSU) will play a negative role in how the adcom views my application.

I'd say give it a shot. Yes, lots of top 10, but all the UCs also have strong representation, and at least 1 CSU student at the accepted students weekend (meaning that person was accepted outright, not off the waitlist). LOTS of diversity in terms of race, age, socioeconomic status and life experiences (moreso than anywhere else I interviewed). Good luck this cycle!

I interviewed there and went to a CSU this cycle. I'm currently on the wait list. Don't be ashamed of your undergrad. You will/have a degree that is equivalent across all universities with an equivalent degree. You're qualified my friend and I encourage you to be proud of your undergrad, and especially towards your mentors and professors who instilled knowledge to you. :)

I interviewed there and went to a CSU this cycle. I'm currently on the wait list. Don't be ashamed of your undergrad. You will/have a degree that is equivalent across all universities with an equivalent degree. You're qualified my friend and I encourage you to be proud of your undergrad, and especially towards your mentors and professors who instilled knowledge to you. :)
That's very true. I can't deny that I have had an amazing undergraduate experience with great mentors. I think I've just been surrounded by people in my community who go to amazing undergrad schools, do incredibly well there, but still don't do well in the medical school admissions process. I'm also an ORM, so I don't think it helps my case very much. I will remain optimistic though, and I will definitely apply :)

So I just called their office again, and it seems like there isn't any waitlist movement at the moment. I guess they already released their batch of decisions from the last time I called. :oops:

So I just called their office again, and it seems like there isn't any waitlist movement at the moment. I guess they already released their batch of decisions from the last time I called. :oops:
Yeah I called too and got the same response.

They said they're more into significant Updates than LOI's when I called. Pretty much something like, of course we know you want to go here, but feel free to send it anyway if you want. I am not writing one for that reason but did send in a short update. I have asked a current student there who got in through the waitlist, and she said she didn't write anything and still was accepted so she thinks it doesn't matter much whether you write one or not. And if it's gonna stress you out no need to worry about it.

I could submit my secondary right now, but I'm waiting for a fourth LOR. Technically I meet their requirements but this will be my strongest letter. Can I submit without it and turn in the fourth LOR as an update?