2016-2017 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ah, I was decent bit behind you all then (6/16) . Thanks for the info, I definitely feel less panicky now haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh getting nervous because I was verified around the same time and no secondary still..
Yea I was verified on 6/7 and have pretty good stats OOS and still haven't gotten the secondary. They must be sending them out periodically.

Secondary invite received and completed! IS verified 6/15

Received secondary!! OOS
Was not expecting this
Literally squealing

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if UCSF informs applicants if they won't be getting a secondary?

Woo secondary! IS LizzyM 72. Legit one of my dream med schools. I talked to UCSF staff once and they said they coddle the medical students hardcore and then absolutely destroy the residents lol

Still got nothin :unsure:

Me neither. It makes me just a little nervous seeing so many people getting theirs. Fingers crossed ours are still on their way.

Reactions: 1 users
What are the stats on how many receive secondaries? guessing there's a heavy screen by how happy you guys are

edit:
nvm
@differentiating wrote this earlier:
At my interview two cycles ago, we were given these numbers as a rough breakdown:
~7,000 applications
~2,500 secondaries
~ 500 interviews
~ 270 acceptances

Of course, it's possible they changed things up last cycle, and things may change this time around as well. But that might give you an idea of the general ratio of applications to secondaries.

Quick question, does UCSF accept committee letters that include letters from professors? The secondary says they want 3 letters, at least 2 from profs. Technically my committee letter is just one letter with professor letters sent as an attachment or something like that. It's fairly unclear how the committee letter works haha

What are the stats on how many receive secondaries? guessing there's a heavy screen by how happy you guys are

edit:
nvm
@differentiating wrote this earlier:
At my interview two cycles ago, we were given these numbers as a rough breakdown:
~7,000 applications
~2,500 secondaries
~ 500 interviews
~ 270 acceptances

Of course, it's possible they changed things up last cycle, and things may change this time around as well. But that might give you an idea of the general ratio of applications to secondaries.

Seeing how some of us are getting IIs ridiculously early in the cycle and not even getting secondaries at other schools kinda makes me think that once you reach a certain point it's a pretty big crap shoot, haha

Reactions: 3 users
Also heads up... My LizzyM was only a 70, and I'm OOS. Pretty sure they do a holistic review so don't lose hope y'all!❤️

I submitted 6/7, got delayed due to a transcript getting lost on the way. Do schools look at apps before they're verified?
I think schools send out secondaries based on submission date, not verification date

Also heads up... My LizzyM was only a 70, and I'm OOS. Pretty sure they do a holistic review so don't lose hope y'all!❤️
Holistic review? i've lost all hope...

WHY DIDN"T I MAKE MYSELF WELL ROUNDED. EVERYONE SAID TO BE WELL ROUNDED. :boom:

Reactions: 5 users
Holistic review? i've lost all hope...

WHY DIDN"T I MAKE MYSELF WELL ROUNDED. EVERYONE SAID TO BE WELL ROUNDED. :boom:
Thats what I tell myself every day as I wait to hear back from a certain other school that sounds like a condiment... :(

Last edited:
I wonder if they tend to go on the whole application? Because my stats are pretty good, but they might not think my ECs are unique enough
From what I've gathered reading your posts (congratulations on the IIs by the way!) I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't at least get secondary. My stats are a little behind yours, but still pretty good (~77 LizzyM) and I think my ECs probably will be considered strong (lack of research is my Achilles heel). I can only imagine there is some behind-the-scenes process and they just haven't gotten to us yet.

Got a secondary as well, 2nd time around as a reapplicant. IS, verified 6/12, LizzyM 70-71.

Last year's thread they said an adcom stated they'd hand out more secondaries starting last cycle. How selective it is now, don't know.

Of all the UC's received secondaries now from UCSD, UCR, and UCSF.

Nothing from Davis or LA, neither of these schools sent me one last cycle. Don't think anybody's heard from UCI yet.

From what I've gathered reading your posts (congratulations on the IIs by the way!) I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't at least get secondary. My stats are a little behind yours, but still pretty good (~77 LizzyM) and I think my ECs probably will be considered strong (lack of research is my Achilles heel). I can only imagine there is some behind-the-scenes process and they just haven't gotten to us yet.

Yeah, it's probably more of an individual thing - like some peoples apps have been reviewed by this point while others still haven't been reviewed yet. I think in the end we'll both be ok (sounds like you've done well with stats and ECs) but it's easy to get stressed out with even the slightest delay haha. Thanks for the congrats and best of luck!

Holding out hope!

MFW when I'm livin on a prayer but less than halfway there.

1265387942_frog-vs-dragonfly.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Thats what I tell myself every day as I wait to hear back from a certain other school that sounds like a condiment... :(
I can't wait for ketchup medical school either.

I didn't get a secondary immediately even though I submitted AMCAS on the first day. But I still received a fairly early interview invite and am matriculating! Try not to stress out abt getting the secondary/when you get the secondary. Best of luck guys :)
(I got the secondary July 22
Interview invite September 17)

Reactions: 7 users
I'm going to use this to reassure myself that there's still hope since I submitted slightly later but was verified earlier. There's still hope right?
Its not over until you give up hope (or receive a rejection letter). I wouldn't worry too much. First out of my friends to get UCSF but also the only one yet to receive UCLA.

I didn't get a secondary immediately even though I submitted AMCAS on the first day. But I still received a fairly early interview invite and am matriculating! Try not to stress out abt getting the secondary/when you get the secondary. Best of luck guys :)

This is super comforting, thank you!

I also have high stats (LizzyM ~75) and good ECs with a teaching background...but no research. Yet to receive a secondary but holding out hope. Fingers crossed for us both!

I also have high stats (LizzyM ~75) and good ECs with a teaching background...but no research. Yet to receive a secondary but holding out hope. Fingers crossed for us both!

Just hoping to offer some peace of mind, but I also do not have any research and received my secondary yesterday. LizzyM of 77-78. Just give it some time. We can't start panicking yet if we expect to survive the winter haha best of luck!

Just hoping to offer some peace of mind, but I also do not have any research and received my secondary yesterday. LizzyM of 77-78. Just give it some time. We can't start panicking yet if we expect to survive the winter haha best of luck!
That actually does make me feel a lot better. I'm glad they aren't screening for research experience outright. Thanks for the support!

This is very reassuring. Thank you very much.

Did anyone get a secondary from UCSF without having their letters in?

Secondary received just now! Verified on 6/24, LizzyM 72!

Is this one of those essays we should def fill in? I want to put in a diversity statement, but it's asking specifically about activities, and I don't have any updates lol.

I wonder if they tend to go on the whole application? Because my stats are pretty good, but they might not think my ECs are unique enough

I'm definitely in the same boat . . . LizzyM >80, relatively meh ECs, no secondary yet. Verified 6/16

It also could be that I have yet to submit my LORs due to one of my science letter writers being late. Sadly it's for a good reason so I don't want to harry her too much about it, but I'm getting more and more antsy . . .

Is this one of those essays we should def fill in? I want to put in a diversity statement, but it's asking specifically about activities, and I don't have any updates lol.
I took it as only for activities. It isn't an opened ended question. I was tempted to put my diversity essay into it, but opted not to