2016-2017 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)

Applicants are interviewed by invitation only. Please note that we do not conduct regional interviews. Interviews are scheduled from September to February (days vary). Please let us know if you will be out of the country during the interview season. (300 characters)

May the Force be with you!!! :luck::luck::luck::luck:
parnassus_aerial2.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
*waiting for @differentiating to tell us how awesome this school is*

Haha...I'm not sure exactly what you want me to say! I mean, I'm definitely very happy to be here at UCSF - it was my dream medical school, and I feel very lucky to be given the opportunity to study here - but I've still got enough weeks of M1 left that I should probably be spending the time I could monologue doing more productive things instead. ;)

That being said, if anyone has any questions (albeit not about bridges/the new curriculum - I'll leave that to the class of 2020 to discuss once they've gotten here in August and experienced it for themselves), I will do my best to answer them. There was some helpful information posted on the 2015-2016 application thread (compiled by some of us who applied in the 2014-2015 cycle) that might be of use to applicants, and from that, I'll just reiterate that the optional secondary is indeed optional. I left it blank myself, so clearly it's not a dealbreaker to do so.

Good luck to all those applying! :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha...I'm not sure exactly what you want me to say! I mean, I'm definitely very happy to be here at UCSF - it was my dream medical school, and I feel very lucky to be given the opportunity to study here - but I've still got enough weeks of M1 left that I should probably be spending the time I could monologue doing more productive things instead. ;)

That being said, if anyone has any questions (albeit not about bridges/the new curriculum - I'll leave that to the class of 2020 to discuss once they've gotten here in August and experienced it for themselves), I will do my best to answer them. There was some helpful information posted on the 2015-2016 application thread (compiled by some of us who applied in the 2014-2015 cycle) that might be of use to applicants, and from that, I'll just reiterate that the optional secondary is indeed optional. I left it blank myself, so clearly it's not a dealbreaker to do so.

Good luck to all those applying! :luck:
It's obviously better to get UCSF/Bay Area promotion from someone who's actually there!!:rofl:
imrs.php

Anyway, I'm glad you brought up the curriculum changes. Here is an updated version of the curriculum site.

And in case anyone is interested, this short paper examines the scheduling of Step 1 after core clerkships. In addition, this page discusses UCSF's decision to adopt the new format.

Reactions: 2 users
It's obviously better to get UCSF/Bay Area promotion from someone who's actually there!!:rofl:
imrs.php

Anyway, I'm glad you brought up the curriculum changes. Here is an updated version of the curriculum site.

And in case anyone is interested, this short paper examines the scheduling of Step 1 after core clerkships. In addition, this page discusses UCSF's decision to adopt the new format.

Last night's game was brutal though...

3.63 GPA/516 MCAT/Oregon resident. Worth applying?

3.63 GPA/516 MCAT/Oregon resident. Worth applying?

UCSF also screens primary applications thoroughly before sending an applicant a secondary. So if they don't consider you a serious contender, the max you will be out of is $38, in case fees are a consideration for you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

UCSF cares much less about stats than its ranking would make it seem

Yes, but it still has an average matriculating student GPA of 3.75 and MCAT score of 35. So it does care about stats, unless your other experiences/activities can make up for lower than their average GPA and/or MCAT score.
That being said, you will never know unless you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really know anything about this school, except that it's in what was maybe 10 years ago the perfect city. Everyone I talk to from the bay though is saying that the place is going down the tubes and that's it's getting impossible to live there, not just because of rent, but the techies are supposedly pretty insufferable. Nonetheless, taking a shot in the dark with JMP here!

UCSF also screens primary applications thoroughly before sending an applicant a secondary. So if they don't consider you a serious contender, the max you will be out of is $38, in case fees are a consideration for you.

So do only a small percentage of applicants get secondaries?

So do only a small percentage of applicants get secondaries?

At my interview two cycles ago, we were given these numbers as a rough breakdown:
~7,000 applications
~2,500 secondaries
~ 500 interviews
~ 270 acceptances

Of course, it's possible they changed things up last cycle, and things may change this time around as well. But that might give you an idea of the general ratio of applications to secondaries.

If I am interested in applying to both regular MD and JMP, do I check the box for "Regular M.D." or "Combined Medical Degree/Ph.D (Applicant must be accepted to UC Davis School of Medicine MD program before being considered for the MD/PhD program.) (Restricted)"? I am reading on the admissions website that we are given the choice on the secondary so I am thinking I should only check the Regular M.D. box, but wanted to make sure...

The JMP and the MD/PhD program are two separate programs, so I believe you should check the regular MD box and then indicate interest in the JMP on the secondary. I did not apply to the JMP myself, though, so I am just going off of the wording you've posted here.

I assumed OP was referring to joint/advanced degrees. Which would include a M.S.

OP call the admissions office to get it from the horse's mouth.

If I am interested in applying to both regular MD and JMP, do I check the box for "Regular M.D." or "Combined Medical Degree/Ph.D (Applicant must be accepted to UC Davis School of Medicine MD program before being considered for the MD/PhD program.) (Restricted)"? I am reading on the admissions website that we are given the choice on the secondary so I am thinking I should only check the Regular M.D. box, but wanted to make sure...

@differentiating is correct. Apply to regular MD. The secondary will ask you if you are interested in PRIME or JMP and will be given additional essays

If I have my letters already, should I send them in now or wait until I (hopefully) get the secondary? I guess this applies to other UCs that I am applying to. Any thoughts?
I believe they don't look at letters til you send in secondaries so you can wait.

does anybody know how far back your mcat can be to be eligible for this cycle? I wrote mine in august 2014 and their website doesn't have cutoff dates.

does anybody know how far back your mcat can be to be eligible for this cycle? I wrote mine in august 2014 and their website doesn't have cutoff dates.

Yes, they haven't updated their admissions page. But my understanding is that 2014 scores are acceptable.

Yes, they haven't updated their admissions page. But my understanding is that 2014 scores are acceptable.

I had emailed them a while back and was told that yes, they will accept old scores from 2014, but that 2017 applicants are strongly encouraged to take the new MCAT.

Does anyone know if UCSF have a cutoff for any section of the MCAT? or Do they just look at the overall score?

From last year's prompt question "MD Essays (Statement of Intent)
If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. 500 words", what does "statement of intent mean"?
I get that the latter part is to just elaborate on our application activities, but is there anything in addition to that that we need to answer in the "statement of intent"?

Mind sharing the prompt with word limit?

If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)

Applicants are interviewed by invitation only. Please note that we do not conduct regional interviews. Interviews are scheduled from September to February (days vary). Please let us know if you will be out of the country during the interview season. (300 characters)

California Resident?

Hello! Has anyone with a 6/24 or later verification date receive a secondary?

Secondary received!

Reactions: 1 users