2016-2017 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@webster601 @palmtreelover Did either of you receive an email from Dr. Saguil in early April (the one TREE TREE refers to a few posts up)?
I think that email only applies to those who were still working through the medical waiver process at that time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Army waitlist is moving. Received a call from Dr Saguil as well today.

Reactions: 2 users
Do any current USUHS service members have experience with EMDP2 and how that works? I understand it takes two years, but what all do you complete, the science pre reqs? And I think I read that it's not a guarantee entrance into the mothership, but do most students go that route? Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad :)
gmo question: a gmo year would count as fulfilling a year of service, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yeah you did - glad to hear it! Good luck up there brother; I won't be too far from ya'll down here in the Old North State.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
LOL. I had a suspicion who you were based off of some previous comments on here. Take care brother

Just withdrew my Army acceptance.
Good luck to those who are waiting for Army spot!

Has anyone had any luck with emailing admissions or Dr. Saguil in regards to where they are on the waitlist/ the reality of whether or not they might get pulled off the waitlist soon? I'm trying to figure out if I should sign up to retake the MCAT or ride this cycle out for a little longer, and basically I just want to know if it's worth my time trying to get any sort of guidance from this school.

After being a long-time lurker, I decided this would be my only post to SDN -- ACCEPTED this morning off the Army waitlist!! Received THE phone call from Dr. Saguil ~0900. Undergrad 3.6 GPA, post-bac 3.5 GPA, Masters 4.0 GPA, 503 MCAT, 10+ years Army Reserve service, 4 years mobilized, Airborne, Air Assault, Medical scribe, reapplicant. No words to describe the feeling. To those who are still waiting, keep your head up, stay positive, and never quit pursuing your goals!!!

Reactions: 12 users
After being a long-time lurker, I decided this would be my only post to SDN -- ACCEPTED this morning off the Army waitlist!! Received THE phone call from Dr. Saguil ~0900. Undergrad 3.6 GPA, post-bac 3.5 GPA, Masters 4.0 GPA, 503 MCAT, 10+ years Army Reserve service, 4 years mobilized, Airborne, Air Assault, Medical scribe, reapplicant. No words to describe the feeling. To those who are still waiting, keep your head up, stay positive, and never quit pursuing your goals!!!
Congratulations! That must feel awesome and it seems you definitely worked hard for this day and deserve it!

Withdrew from Navy! Good luck to waitlist! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any recent Army waitlist movement?
Expect significant WL movement next week as the Apr 30th multiple acceptance deadline passes. There are many (subjective, dont know actual number) still holding onto acceptances without intention of attending. Those folks will likely be withdrawn on Monday; applicants on the WL will be offered seats at that time.

Does anyone know if USUHS ever allows deferment? Got pulled off the navy waitlist today but I've recently been offered a cool opportunity so this is now a big factor for me

Got the call yesterday. Accepted off the Army waitlist! Interviewed in November. Undergrad GPA 3.8, MCAT 33, 2+ years in research, no prior military experience.

To everyone on the waitlist - keep your heads up! You've worked hard to reach this point and you should be proud. Best of luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if USUHS ever allows deferment? Got pulled off the navy waitlist today but I've recently been offered a cool opportunity so this is now a big factor for me

Its on a case by case basis, it has happened in the past.

I feel like I see a lot of movement on here for army and some navy waitlist...do you guys think the air force waitlist is having any movement this year or maybe people just aren't posting about it?...

I feel like I see a lot of movement on here for army and some navy waitlist...do you guys think the air force waitlist is having any movement this year or maybe people just aren't posting about it?...

I think generally, army moves the most (more spots), whereas Navy and Air Force move less...I think on the thread last year or before, there was little Navy movement and a bit more Air Force. But they seem to flip-flop back and forth. I know that isn't very helpful...but it's all I've got!

I just want to welcome all the newcomers fresh off the WL. Over the weekend, I withdrew my acceptances to VT and MCW, so I'm all in now. Go Army! See you next month at Ft. Sill for training.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted off the waitlist for Air Force. Received the call from Saguil this morning!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi, just wondering for those who just got off the wait-list, do you only receive a call? Or will there be any official letters/email also? Thanks!

Letter in the mail ~1 week later, email as well.
So I got a call from Colonel Saguil last week, but still no email yet and I haven't been back to my parent's house to check the mail. Should I contact my counselor or Colonel Saguil again? I just hope they didn't change their minds about me....

So I got a call from Colonel Saguil last week, but still no email yet and I haven't been back to my parent's house to check the mail. Should I contact my counselor or Colonel Saguil again? I just hope they didn't change their minds about me....

I would follow up with the admissions counselor to confirm the letters have been sent.

I am SURE they didn't change their minds about you. I agree with captainspalding, email your admissions counselor.

Hi all,
First post here, I've been lurking around the forums for sometime now. It has been incredibly helpful and the community seems very supportive. Anyways, I'm looking forward to applying to USUHS come Fall of 2017 application round.

I'm wondering for those of you who were waitlisted, what were your stats during applications? More specifically: presentations, research experience, professional experience, GRE scores, GPA, etc. When I apply, I'll be in the processing of making a thesis in a MS Clinical Psych Program. I'll be looking forward to improving mine. Thanks for the help in advance!

Best,
J.R

Last edited:
Hi all,
First post here, I've been lurking around the forums for sometime now. It has been incredibly helpful and the community seems very supportive. Anyways, I'm looking forward to applying to USUHS come Fall of 2017 application round.

I'm wondering for those of you who were waitlisted, what were your stats during applications? More specifically: presentations, research experience, professional experience, GRE scores, GPA, etc. When I apply, I'll be in the processing of making a thesis in a MS Clinical Psych Program. I'll be looking forward to improving mine. Thanks for the help in advance!

Best,
J.R

cGPA 3.96, sGPA 3.95, 513 MCAT, over two years research experience, name on paper (which has been rejected actually), couple of poster and oral presentations, over 200 hrs community service in Boy Scouts Pack, very little clinical experience in a hospital but used to be a volunteer EMT.

DO NOT submit your AMCAS late. Like do it the first week of June. I waited until July and it was almost a death sentence for my app.

About the services commitment, I know that after the 7 years (post residency) we go on the individual ready reserve (IRR) list. Does anyone know of any restrictions during that time frame, such a living abroad, etc?

About the services commitment, I know that after the 7 years (post residency) we go on the individual ready reserve (IRR) list. Does anyone know of any restrictions during that time frame, such a living abroad, etc?

N=1 and I don't know about living abroad but my Dad was IRR from the air force for ~7-8 years after his initial commitment was up and, other than having base access, it had literally no impact on his/my family's life.

I am SURE they didn't change their minds about you. I agree with captainspalding, email your admissions counselor.
I hope so! Haha. But ok, I'll send my counselor an email. I just didn't want to be a hassle to anyone but I guess I should check up on it. Thanks guys!

There are no meaningful restrictions when you are assigned to IRR, you're pretty much free to live life as long as your don't commit any felonies or anything like that. I think you validate your admin information once a year and that's about it.

I would caveat that with maintaining your security clearance, though. I'm assuming there are some activities that would risk a revocation of your clearance that you would need to avoid, but I'm not a subject matter expert in that area by any means.

I will see all you all in Alabama. Got the call yesterday. Air Force.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone Army students received their orders or confirmation that they have a spot at DCC? I was accepted in late April, completed all the paperwork but they said there was some high up signature/approval needed . The person I spoke with said it was likelythe signature would not be received in time to attend DCC. Wondering if it was just me.

Last edited:
Anyone Army students received their orders or confirmation that they have a spot at DCC? I was accepted in late April, completed all the paperwork but they said there was some high up signature/approval needed . The person I spoke with said it was likelythe signature would not be received in time to attend DCC. Wondering if it was just me.

Not Army, but Navy--ODS starts June 4th and none of us have received orders. Probably won't until May 22nd at the earliest. Might have better luck asking on the fb page?

Best bet is probably to call your company commander. Mine has been really helpful, and phone gets much further than email.

Not Army, but Navy--ODS starts June 4th and none of us have received orders. Probably won't until May 22nd at the earliest. Might have better luck asking on the fb page?

Best bet is probably to call your company commander. Mine has been really helpful, and phone gets much further than email.

Thanks! I've talked to the company commander (also really nice and helpful)

Just got accepted. Air force! See y'all in Alabama

Hey, folks....Does anyone know the exact date we're expected to show up in Bethesda? I've talked to a bunch of people at the school, and the best answer I got was: "About the end of July."

Hey, folks....Does anyone know the exact date we're expected to show up in Bethesda? I've talked to a bunch of people at the school, and the best answer I got was: "About the end of July."

As far as I understand, immediately after your summer training (at least that's the case for Navy attending ODS until July 7th. I believe military orientation starts August 1st. Before LT Strahan left, she said July 28th. If you contact your company commander, they should be able to give you a firm date.