2016-2017 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what the max distance is you can travel for Liberty? I read on an older thread its usually 250-350 miles but I think they were talking about a residency in Norfolk as opposed to USUHS.

Edit: Nevermind, found it in the student handbook. It's 250 miles.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the max distance is you can travel for Liberty? I read on an older thread its usually 250-350 miles but I think they were talking about a residency in Norfolk as opposed to USUHS.

Wait - they actually restrict students to a libo ring? Do students fill out TRIPS too?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You "can't" go outside 250 miles unless you have a pass or are on leave, it does suck for those of us out of state/region. only trips for OCONUS leave

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a form for the outside 250 mile ring although I do remember a student there saying getting it approved is pretty hassle free. But that was on interview day so take it with a grain or two of salt.

Withdrew my acceptance here yesterday, as we decided that Reserve/Guard medicine is best at this point in my career. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for not waiting until April 30 for those of us who are waiting by the phone, and good luck in med school! :)

Thanks for not waiting until April 30 for those of us who are waiting by the phone, and good luck in med school! :)

Absolutely! As soon as I received word from my #1, I dropped my other acceptances. I know folks on the WL at each of those schools, and I think it's just the right thing to do. Good luck guys!

Reactions: 1 user
the real mvp

Attachments

• meme.jpg
    meme.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 66
Congrats on the acceptance to your #1! What branch were you accepted to at USUHS?

Being in the Army already, they selected me for.......wait for it....... Army. I think that's the biggest cohort too, so if you're a primary WL Army person, I'd imagine you'd be looking pretty good!

Withdrawing my Army acceptance on Monday. Was finally notified that I was selected for HPSP this week. Good luck and see some of you on the back side of the next four years!

Congrats! Where are ya headed if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Basically you can go to New York New York without paperwork. Which is all that matters. I don't understand why you would want to travel the other 3 cardinal directions :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically you can go to New York New York without paperwork. Which is all that matters. I don't understand why you would want to travel the other 3 cardinal directions :)

Sweet tea, shrimp n' grits, chick-fil-a, oysters that were chillin in the bay that morning, the sun, etc. I can go on all day

Sweet tea, shrimp n' grits, chick-fil-a, oysters that were chillin in the bay that morning, the sun, etc. I can go on all day

Slower pace of life, higher quality of life, outdoor recreation opportunities, beaches, flip flops and shorts in March, etc. You couldn't pay me enough to move back up north.

Withdrew my acceptance in the AF today. Hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 2 users
Slower pace of life, higher quality of life, outdoor recreation opportunities, beaches, flip flops and shorts in March, etc. You couldn't pay me enough to move back up north.

Until your first assignment after residency to the Ft Drum or Ft Wainwright Medical Clinic. That's what they will be paying you for this fall when you start Med School.

Ahhh! Smart man. You might take the Reserve/NG option. Good luck. Our service members deserve well trained doctors.

I'm staying in through the Guard; there's numerous opportunities for physicians there to provide down-range care to our people. Completely agree that our warfighters deserve the best care from the best docs, bar none.

Really, I was just giving the "no place besides NYC matters" guy a hard time lol. I know he was just joshing, and was doing the same back.

Has anyone had any success either emailing or talking with Dr. Saguil to see where approximately they might be on the primary waitlist and what their chances are of being accepted? I am considering shooting him a quick email but I don't want to be rude or overbearing

Just withdrew my navy spot. Good luck everyone

Reactions: 3 users
Woo! I'm really hoping for more Navy spots to open up so I can get off this waitlist!

Withdrew my Air Force spot. Hope it goes to one of you on here that's waiting.

For those that have submitted an update letter, did you sent to Dr. Saguil or your admissions contact?

Hey, what's with all you folks withdrawing your acceptances? Am I going to be the only one left in the Class of '21?

Hey, what's with all you folks withdrawing your acceptances? Am I going to be the only one left in the Class of '21?
Don't worry, there are several of us on the waitlist looking forward to a phone call every time someone withdraws their acceptance...

Took myself off the Army WL.

Wish I could say I withdrew an acceptance that could go to one of you guys, but at the very least, I hope my WL withdrawal moves some of you up the list...

Good luck y'all!

dumb question: are military docs paid by officer rank? If so, do all O-1's, O-2's etc. get paid the same regardless of job function?

Incidentally, I am an MS1 at USUHS. If anyone has questions, send me a me message and I'll try to get to it when I'm able

I've got a pay/BAH question....the brochure/paperwork/whatnot said BAH was $2100, but when you look at the 2017 pay sheets for the zip code 20814, it says $1980. Do all students get the same BAH?

I've got a pay/BAH question....the brochure/paperwork/whatnot said BAH was $2100, but when you look at the 2017 pay sheets for the zip code 20814, it says $1980. Do all students get the same BAH?

The rates change every year. $2100 was the 2016 BAH for that zip code. Unfortunately, it went down this year to $1983 (for an O-1 without dependents), which is what the Class of 2021 will be receiving (I believe). If BAH goes down at any point after that, you are grandfathered in to the higher amount, so yours will never go below $1983.

dumb question: are military docs paid by officer rank? If so, do all O-1's, O-2's etc. get paid the same regardless of job function?

Not a dumb question. A very very good question with an obtuse answer. That link kindly provided by MikeyOlSchool gives us the basic pays for most officers and enlisted. It unfortunately does not include the special pays medical corp personnel receives.

Follow the link, and open the pdf for the most recent date, Fiscal year 2017 or something like that.

Then follow the first page and jot down the monthly pay for what ever rank and time in service you have (note time at USUHS does not count...until retirement...:p). This is base pay.

Now go to page 3 and jot down BAS for officers.

Now go to some military website and write down whatever monthly pay you get for BAH.

Now go to page 11 on the pdf and you see all those awesome huge 6 figure numbers there? Ignore them (By the time you are eligible for that bonus you'll have figured this out already). Look to the lower right hand side of the page and you will see a tiny web link. Follow that and it will take you to BUMED.

On BUMED's website open the link under "FY17 Special Pay Plans". This will let you download a word document. Go to pages 12 and 13. Focus on Tables 2 and Tables 3. Ignore the part on Table 2 that details Retention Bonus (RB) because again, when we become eligible for this you will already have figured this out. Find your specialty and voila, here's your annual Incentive Pay (IP). Table 3 is your Board Certification Pay (BCP).

So monthly pay = (Base Pay + IP/12 + BCP/12)*(1 - Taxes) + BAH + BAS

This current system is actually simplified from when I first looked this up a few years back. Hope this helps!

Not a dumb question. A very very good question with an obtuse answer. That link kindly provided by MikeyOlSchool gives us the basic pays for most officers and enlisted. It unfortunately does not include the special pays medical corp personnel receives.

Follow the link, and open the pdf for the most recent date, Fiscal year 2017 or something like that.

Then follow the first page and jot down the monthly pay for what ever rank and time in service you have (note time at USUHS does not count...until retirement...:p). This is base pay.

Now go to page 3 and jot down BAS for officers.

Now go to some military website and write down whatever monthly pay you get for BAH.

Now go to page 11 on the pdf and you see all those awesome huge 6 figure numbers there? Ignore them (By the time you are eligible for that bonus you'll have figured this out already). Look to the lower right hand side of the page and you will see a tiny web link. Follow that and it will take you to BUMED.

On BUMED's website open the link under "FY17 Special Pay Plans". This will let you download a word document. Go to pages 12 and 13. Focus on Tables 2 and Tables 3. Ignore the part on Table 2 that details Retention Bonus (RB) because again, when we become eligible for this you will already have figured this out. Find your specialty and voila, here's your annual Incentive Pay (IP). Table 3 is your Board Certification Pay (BCP).

So monthly pay = (Base Pay + IP/12 + BCP/12)*(1 - Taxes) + BAH + BAS

This current system is actually simplified from when I first looked this up a few years back. Hope this helps!

You are awesome!

Also, Can I pick your brain regarding your thoughts on GMO tours before you committed?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hello all. Has anyone heard if the Army is still doing its month-long gig at Ft. Sill starting in June? At the Second Look, we were told that the Army might have to cancel (even though the Navy and Air Force will still have their scheduled gatherings) and we would just report to Bethesda in July.

Any recent waitlist movement?

Seems like more people are dropping off so perhaps we'll see some movement in the next two weeks. I was looking at last years forum and movement was relatively silent until the week of 24 Apr

Also, last year some people said they received an email from Dr. Saguil stating that a certain number of available spots were opening up. Evidently this didn't go to everyone on the wait list, just those closer to the top. Anyone received one of these emails?

Seems like more people are dropping off so perhaps we'll see some movement in the next two weeks. I was looking at last years forum and movement was relatively silent until the week of 24 Apr

Also, last year some people said they received an email from Dr. Saguil stating that a certain number of available spots were opening up. Evidently this didn't go to everyone on the wait list, just those closer to the top. Anyone received one of these emails?
Nope. The last email I got from Dr. Saguil was the one explaining what the waitlist meant and putting it into context, which I assume everyone on the waitlist received.

I kind of wish they could tell us (vaguely) where we rank on the waitlist. Not anything super detailed, just like maybe, "Oh, you're in the bottom third" or something like that. Sure would make planning what's gonna happen to me and my family this summer easier.

I've received an email from Dr. Saguil last week regarding the wait list and the medical waiver. He said that spots are opening up in all 3 branches + PHS and we need to get our waivers resolved before USU can make any offer for us.

Unfortunately, the office in charge of the medical waivers is currently short-staffed. It seems like it will take them awhile to go through all the waiver requests.

any recent waitlist movement?

thanks for the response! hoping for some good news soon!