2016-2017 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who has heard back from December interviews?

I interviewed on 12/1 and still haven't heard back. A couple of weeks ago I talked to Dr. Saguil over email, and he said they will likely get to my application at the beginning of February. So hopefully we'll hear something soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed on 12/1 and still haven't heard back. A couple of weeks ago I talked to Dr. Saguil over email, and he said they will likely get to my application at the beginning of February. So hopefully we'll hear something soon.
I also interviewed 12/1 and have not heard anything. I talked to another student who interviewed the same day and they were rejected about two weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone happen to know what goes on during the second look day? I was hoping to squeeze in some apartment tours but the invite says 8am-4pm and I think a lot of the buildings stop tours at 5 pm. I suppose I could stay in the local navy lodge Friday night (dear old father is Navy Reserve) but I was hoping to knock it out in one day.

Edit: Maybe a little juvenile, but do parents ever come to second look? Just that they've spent thousands of dollars on this whole process/been super supportive so I don't want to say no if they want to come. (which I think they do)

Does anyone happen to know what goes on during the second look day? I was hoping to squeeze in some apartment tours but the invite says 8am-4pm and I think a lot of the buildings stop tours at 5 pm. I suppose I could stay in the local navy lodge Friday night (dear old father is Navy Reserve) but I was hoping to knock it out in one day.

Edit: Maybe a little juvenile, but do parents ever come to second look? Just that they've spent thousands of dollars on this whole process/been super supportive so I don't want to say no if they want to come. (which I think they do)

Per Dr. Saguil:
"Second look will be March 17th, and we are working on the schedule. For sure we will have a tour of WRNMMC, the Apollo Society Open Mike event, and lunch with students and faculty. We are finalizing the program, and will put out the information soon--feel free to share this with your Facebook friends!"

Also per Dr. Saguil:
"Absolutely! We love hosting family members. The only restriction we have is the number of people able to visit WRNMMC, but everything at USU is open."

Anecdotal: I'm bringing a parent, and a few of the people I've talked to are bringing parents, significant others, and some other family members. My reasoning: I value my parents input, and I don't want to go in "starry-eyed." Plus another eye for detail.

I'm staying at the lodge and going to do some apartment shopping- you could do some the day before or the day after.

Went to second look day. It was a pretty filled schedule. Might want to extend your stay at the lodge if you want to knock out apartment hunting.

Parent's are fine to bring along :)

Went to second look day. It was a pretty filled schedule. Might want to extend your stay at the lodge if you want to knock out apartment hunting.

Parent's are fine to bring along :)

So if stayed Friday night do you think Saturday (one day) would be enough for apartment hunting? On that note, do you have suggestions?

So if stayed Friday night do you think Saturday (one day) would be enough for apartment hunting? On that note, do you have suggestions?
One day is enough if you can schedule viewings ahead of schedule. 10101 Grosvenor Place. 5225 Pooks Hill Road (The Promenade). If you think the rent is high then negotiate 1 or 2 months free rent with the asking rent price for the remaining lease. The property owners need to keep the listed rental price higher so this is how they can get in tenants for the higher rent. You can't likely do this in the newest buildings. Grosvenor and Promenade both have metro access.

Many other students get roommates they meet at their officer training or through the class facebook page. Look through some of the earlier posts on this thread or last years. Some great location suggestions.

Received the waitlist letter postmarked 2/2. Interviewed 12/1

Received the waitlist letter postmarked 2/2. Interviewed 12/1

Which branch? Also, is there a difference between waitlist and alternate list?

Does waitlist have a rank to it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Which branch? Also, is there a difference between waitlist and alternate list?

Does waitlist have a rank to it?

Airforce - Waitlist is before the alternate list and as said in recent posts the waitlist is sometimes called the primary waitlist. - There is no indication of rank on the waitlist.

Do wait-list/rejections come via snail mail only or do you get an email result as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
After a lot of time and consideration I have decided to release my spot so that somebody else can have it, hopefully in time for second look. Looking back at the acceptance emails I can't find instructions for what to do if you have accepted a seat in the class and want to release it. Does anyone know the process for doing that? Thank you!!

After a lot of time and consideration I have decided to release my spot so that somebody else can have it, hopefully in time for second look. Looking back at the acceptance emails I can't find instructions for what to do if you have accepted a seat in the class and want to release it. Does anyone know the process for doing that? Thank you!!
I'm not sure of the actual process, but you can always email Dr. Saguil and say "Please give my spot to spookyskeletonman."

Reactions: 1 users
Army spot???

Who is all going to the second look??

I'll be there with family!

Did you receive an invitation for the second look? Or is it opened to all wait-listed/accepted applicants?
Sheena Ferrell sent out the e-invite. The email is just titled "Second Look." Maybe check your spam box? I know their first II email to me went straight to the spam box...I nearly missed it!

I'll be there with family!

Sheena Ferrell sent out the e-invite. The email is just titled "Second Look." Maybe check your spam box? I know their first II email to me went straight to the spam box...I nearly missed it!

Hmm, she didn't send it to me. Are you accepted?

Has anyone gotten accepted off the primary waitlist yet? I have been on the primary waitlist since December and haven't heard anything yet.

Has anyone gotten accepted off the primary waitlist yet? I have been on the primary waitlist since December and haven't heard anything yet.
I asked Dr. Saguil about it and he said most likely we will need to wait till April.

Accepted from the Army primary waitlist today. Interviewed in December. For the primary waitlist folks it looks like there is movement earlier than April.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted from the Army primary waitlist today. Interviewed in December. For the primary waitlist folks it looks like there is movement earlier than April.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Was the acceptance a phone call or email? Also go Cubs!

Accepted via phone call last week! Air Force, interviewed in Jan

Reactions: 1 users
So I've pretty much just been silently stalking this feed to gather info as to what the admissions committee has been up to while I sit and wait for answers in regards to my own application, but I finally decided to share since I was just put on the waitlist today (actually I just got the letter in the mail today, but it's dated March 15th so I guess I'll be on the waitlist in 2 days:shrug:). I Interviewed on Nov 10th, and was put on hold status on Jan 13th (which really through me for a loop and started my whole silent stalking phase). But I guess I just wanted to give any one else who's on hold a heads up since they originally said I would hear a response "on or about March 21st".

You get a call directly from Dr. Saguil letting you know you've been accepted

I noticed in previous years, and maybe this cycle, too, that applicants have been notified of being on a specific waitlist, "primary" or "alternate." My waitlist letter does not explicitly state "primary wait list" only "...on the wait list for a space in the entering class...". Is this a bad thing? Am I not on the primary wait list? Does/did anyone's wait list letter (or email, but I only received a letter) this cycle actually say "primary wait list"?

I noticed in previous years, and maybe this cycle, too, that applicants have been notified of being on a specific waitlist, "primary" or "alternate." My waitlist letter does not explicitly state "primary wait list" only "...on the wait list for a space in the entering class...". Is this a bad thing? Am I not on the primary wait list? Does/did anyone's wait list letter (or email, but I only received a letter) this cycle actually say "primary wait list"?

My letter does not specify primary wait list either. If you look at one of the blue hand outs from interview day it tells you the meaning of the different lists. I do not think there is a difference when people refer to primary wait tlist vs. wait list. There is a difference between alternate list and wait list

My letter does not specify primary wait list either. If you look at one of the blue hand outs from interview day it tells you the meaning of the different lists. I do not think there is a difference when people refer to primary wait tlist vs. wait list. There is a difference between alternate list and wait list
Thanks for the reply! I just unearthed that blue handout.