2016-2017 SUNY - Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wow my departing flight was just cancelled.. now i cant make my interview for today :(

Members don't see this ad.

wow my departing flight was just cancelled.. now i cant make my interview for today :(

Oh no, sorry to hear! I'm sure the admissions office would understand. Why not shoot them a quick email now and call tomorrow morning, if you weren't already planning to do so?

Oh no, sorry to hear! I'm sure the admissions office would understand. Why not shoot them a quick email now and call tomorrow morning, if you weren't already planning to do so?
that's what I did. on phone with them now lol. dang hurricane

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if SUNY Downstate is receptive to in the area updates?

II just now! OOS with strong connections to NY, complete: 9/19

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if Downstate reviews apps in semi-chronological order or is it completely random like Buffalo?

Does anyone know if Downstate reviews apps in semi-chronological order or is it completely random like Buffalo?

I dont think they do it chrono, since (comparing to the above OOS II) Im instate, have slightly higher stats than above, and submitted mid august and still have not heard back.. so I have no idea what they are doing :(

I dont think they do it chrono, since (comparing to the above OOS II) Im instate, have slightly higher stats than above, and submitted mid august and still have not heard back.. so I have no idea what they are doing :(
I've been complete since June :confused:

Or that person had something in their app that made adcoms extend a II to him/her before people before in line. I have friends who have been getting 1 week II with less than amazing numbers. So maybe it's more than just ransom. It's chronological but some people can stand out to jump ahead in line so to say.

Also received an II today! Complete 9/19, LizzyM ~70, OoS without very strong ties to NY (sister is doing her undergrad in NY).

I want to interview here so badly. Another OOS with strong ties to NY. I wish there was a portal or somewhere I could go to obsessively check on my app status.

Also received an II today! Complete 9/19, LizzyM ~70, OoS without very strong ties to NY (sister is doing her undergrad in NY).

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your stats? I have a similar LizzyM score and was complete 9/28, so praying I have II coming my way!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you all write about strong ties if you are OOS?

In the secondary, they asked questions like "If you're not from NYC, what personal experiences prepare you, etc." and "If you have a specific wish to go to Downstate or a school in NYC, why?" Those prompts seemed like the perfect place to bring up ties to the city, no?

In the secondary, they asked questions like "If you're not from NYC, what personal experiences prepare you, etc." and "If you have a specific wish to go to Downstate or a school in NYC, why?" Those prompts seemed like the perfect place to bring up ties to the city, no?
Okay, I can't even remember what I wrote anymore haha I'll have to check. Thanks!

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your stats? I have a similar LizzyM score and was complete 9/28, so praying I have II coming my way!
Thanks! Hope you do too :) As far as stats go: ~3.7 cGPA with a marginally higher sGPA, 33 MCAT (10/9/14 PS/VR/BS).

Where did you all write about strong ties if you are OOS?

^ This. Haha can't blame you for not remembering. It's such a stressful process :)

anyone else scared of decisions coming out soon....? I know theres no point in dwelling on it but I didn't feel good about my interview so I'm dreading the rejection...just needed to get that out there. haha...ok I'm done.

Reactions: 1 users
Please...Has anyone else gotten the request for fall grades
I got that on 9/13 and was complete on 8/22

Just got II here :)

I'm having trouble getting work off on the day they assigned me for an interview...has anyone gotten theirs switched?

I wish I could just pick a day out of a couple options, it's really hard to clear a random weekday with a few weeks notice when I work full time :(

I'm having trouble getting work off on the day they assigned me for an interview...has anyone gotten theirs switched?

I wish I could just pick a day out of a couple options, it's really hard to clear a random weekday with a few weeks notice when I work full time :(

Yupp I was able to get mine switched fairly easily. I called to switch and they told me to email with which days I would NOT be available.

Do you think decisions have been sent out via snail mail already?

New Yorkers, help me out here! :)
What's the best way to get from jfk to the school in the morning? I'm taking a red eye in, and have 5 hours to get from the airport to my interview. I'd prefer to take public transportation since it's cheaper. Can I take the subway?

What's the best way to get from jfk to the school in the morning? I'm taking a red eye in, and have 5 hours to get from the airport to my interview. I'd prefer to take public transportation since it's cheaper. Can I take the subway?
The best way is to take a cab (30-50$). It will take you 2-2.5 hours by train.

I think you can take the B15 bus. which goes straight from JFK then transfer to the B12 that takes you to Downstate

you could take the airtrain to Jamaica, the LIRR to Atlantic terminal, and the subway, but typing all that out it seems excessive

The best way is to take a cab (30-50$). It will take you 2-2.5 hours by train.
At that rate, would it make more sense to rent a car from the airport for a day (60$)?

Placed on hold today morning after interviewing in September. I thought I was a good fit, but I guess Downstate doesn't feel the same way :'(.

Is this the "hold for spring consideration" status? Because according to the past few years, there's a lot of movement there (and lots of acceptances!)

Thank you so much for letting us know though!

Yup that's the one! It's a bummer.

Acceptedd!!!! Beyond ecstatic ! Interviewed 9/13

Reactions: 5 users
Placed on hold today morning after interviewing in September. I thought I was a good fit, but I guess Downstate doesn't feel the same way :'(.
+1 same here :( not surprised but still bummed. does anyone know if everyone who wasn't accepted placed on hold, or do they give out rejections too?

ACCEPTED OMG!!
Acceptedd!!!! Beyond ecstatic ! Interviewed 9/13

Did you get the preliminary notification email?? I just called and they said it's official. I saw the email and thought "**** I got placed on hold also." But nope!! I interviewed that week also.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Rejected via email ): Interviewed 9/14. Congrats to those accepted!

ACCEPTED OMG!!

Did you get the preliminary notification email?? I just called and they said it's official. I saw the email and thought "**** I got placed on hold also." But nope!! I interviewed that week also.
Yea i did too! I think it says preliminary because you get the "official" letter in the mail! But congrats on your acceptance!!! :clap:

Waitlisted :/. I'm pretty surprised considering how I interviewed the very first week and that the interviewer said everything went well too. Do people commonly get accepted after the "Hold for Spring Consideration" status?

Just booked my flight to NYC. How many other students are present on interview day? Is it z big group?

Hmmm complete in July and still silence :whistle: