2016-2017 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What early clinical experiences do you guys get?

There is a student-run clinic for community members without health insurance next to campus, called the Interprofessional Community Clinic, that you can begin volunteering at during your first semester at CMS. You work in small student teams, do the initial intake and H&P for patients, and then present cases to a team of providers. This is extremely helpful in developing history taking and physical exam (after passing your physical exam practical) skills, learning EMR, and becoming comfortable presenting cases to providers. Additionally, there is a Saturday clinic downtown called NLVS that students work at, which provides a similar experience, among other skills-building experiences such as community glucose screenings, etc.

1. You start working with standardized patients first quarter of M1 year (if I remember correctly)
2. There are tons of clinical volunteering opportunities M1 through M2 (like those mentioned - ICC, NLVS, weekly screening clinics in the community led by student orgs, our RFUMS Mobile Clinic/RV thing [CareCoach])
3. M2 year you have a preceptorship where you work with a local physician and see patients throughout the year
4. M2 year you start working with standardized patients a lot more and have clinical exams (objective structured clinical examinations [OSCE's])
5. We have a CMS alumni shadowing program (not sure if it's still active) where you can shadow CMS alums. You can also just reach out to local CMS Alums and ask to shadow/work with them as there are thousands in the Chicagoland area.
6. We are updating our curriculum to include even more early clinical exposure

Felt totally prepared coming into M3 year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if they already stopped sending out IIs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea when the white coat ceremony is going to be?
Traditionally it is held on the Friday of orientation, which is the Friday before the first day of class (looks like August 11 this year).

Reactions: 1 user
Would anyone mind sharing what this school's grading system is like? (P/F, A-F or whatever) & also, does anyone knows if they rank the students
M1-M2 is P/F. M3-M4 is Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail (basically A/B/C/D). This is how most schools do it. They internally rank for AOA determination purposes but do not disclose this to anyone - not to you and not to residency programs. Nobody knows their rank.

M1-M2 is P/F. M3-M4 is Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail (basically A/B/C/D). This is how most schools do it. They internally rank for AOA determination purposes but do not disclose this to anyone - not to you and not to residency programs. Nobody knows their rank.

Cool thanks man

I have received an interview invite today. For those who interviewed already, is CAS-ID your AMCAS-ID?
I was complete early November.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users

To be fair, they use ranking code words, so every school knows your quartile in basic sciences and clinical rotations.

Large dogs

Asked to interview today! Already accepted at MSU, but beyond pumped to interview here

Have any pre-II peeps reached out to admissions lately to say what's up? Been complete for 17 weeks now and cant tell if I'm just impatient and need to be told they're getting there, or if I need a reality check and prob should just move on from CMS

I called them last week and they said my file was still open and under review. No interview yet :/.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for students at CMS already: How many students move to or near the city of Chicago proper during M3 and M4? Thanks!

During our q&a our student guests mentioned that the majority of students do, unless you chose the northern sites (I think they threw out 60-70% live in the city). I'm sure that's somewhat anecdotal but that's what they told us

Is it normal to have complete silence from this school? I was complete in October but no other communication since then. I'm not sure what that means?

Reactions: 4 users
Is it normal to have complete silence from this school? I was complete in October but no other communication since then. I'm not sure what that means?

Super normal

Reactions: 1 users
This school gets over 12,000 applications. Being complete in October is multiple months after other applicants were complete.

To be fair, they use ranking code words, so every school knows your quartile in basic sciences and clinical rotations.

Large dogs
They changed this for at least the M2 class and below. There are no longer any internal rankings that show up on your dean's letter. You can only benefit from doing well via AOA or the 90% average in M1 and M2 years for distinction in basic sciences.

I have been complete since August 2 and have heard nothing. So, know that you are not riding this train alone my friend. You keep your head up though and keep working hard for your dream. You will get there.

Really hope they get back to those who interviewed soon. Just passed the 6 week mark.

Is it possible to get an actual person to pick up the phone at the admissions office, or do you have to leave a voicemail and wait for a return call?

Have to leave a message and then a real person calls you back.

Got rejected this afternoon. Interviewed early January and put on hold early February. Hopefully they'll start getting back to everyone!

Have to leave a message and then a real person calls you back.
I called yesterday (Wednesday) at ~ 2pm to check my status, and my call was answered immediately. Try calling at that time.

Got rejected this afternoon. Interviewed early January and put on hold early February. Hopefully they'll start getting back to everyone!

sorry to hear about that.
I'm interviewing next Friday and I'm afraid I'll get rejected. This is my only interview invite so far... No one seems to know the post interview acceptance rate at this school, but people have guessed it's around 30-40%?? does it seem about right??

I'm interviewing next Friday and I'm afraid I'll get rejected. This is my only interview invite so far... No one seems to know the post interview acceptance rate at this school, but people have guessed it's around 30-40%?? does it seem about right??

Will knowing the exact acceptance rate help you at your interview? I doubt it. Don't worry about the numbers and just focus on preparing and being comfortable at your interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Will knowing the exact acceptance rate help you at your interview? I doubt it. Don't worry about the numbers and just focus on preparing and being comfortable at your interview.

It will def help with my anxiety issue.

Is it possible to get an actual person to pick up the phone at the admissions office, or do you have to leave a voicemail and wait for a return call?

Just keep in mind that like most people at a university, they have meetings and administrative tasks that take up their time.

Large dogs

It was 100% for me. A few people I know said it was 0% for them.

In all seriousness, they invited you, so you look like a medical student on paper to someone there. Look up practice MMI scenarios and practice answering them out loud to get used to the style. Be professional, polite, and friendly. Good luck.

Reactions: 5 users
They said at our interview day around 1000 interviews, for a class of 190, with conservatively guessing a yield rate of say, 75% ( my guess is it's actually closer to around 55%), would be 238 offers, so 23.8%

They said at our interview day around 1000 interviews, for a class of 190, with conservatively guessing a yield rate of say, 75% ( my guess is it's actually closer to around 55%), would be 238 offers, so 23.8%

Way too liberal yield rate imo. 55% is more likely

Last edited:
2x would be 50%....2.5 is too aggressive, the average as reported by US news is 52.8%

So I just got a Save the Date email for New Student orientation from RFUMS?? I interviewed but had never heard back about any decisions. Also this was not from the CMS admissions email account. I'm guessing this is an automated error?

So I just got a Save the Date email for New Student orientation from RFUMS?? I interviewed but had never heard back about any decisions. Also this was not from the CMS admissions email account. I'm guessing this is an automated error?
just got the same e-mail but i am accepted. you sure you didnt miss any earlier e-mails? haha

just got the same e-mail but i am accepted. you sure you didnt miss any earlier e-mails? haha
I've definitely been checking my spam and Promotions tab (this one was under there) on my personal gmail. I left them a voicemail though. I just kind of started laughing when I saw it since I hadn't heard any kind of decision since interviewing in mid Nov *shrugs

Anyone know if there is another accepted student day at some point?

I'd highly recommend talking to current students if you can because the nice thing about this school is they are very receptive to student feedback and things change all the time to favor the students' needs.

Awesome! Thank you! Have you been accepted here? And did you possibly go to the first one? I'm just trying to gauge if it's worth going.

I'm actually a first year here. :) I went to Accepted Students Day last year since I live close by. I thought it was helpful seeing the school again and also talking to current/accepted students.

I think it depends on whether you're deciding between schools and how much it would cost for you to visit.

Is there anything I should bring with me on my interview date? I know some have suggested carrying resume and personal statement, but I wonder if this is necessary...

Is there anything I should bring with me on my interview date? I know some have suggested carrying resume and personal statement, but I wonder if this is necessary...

All you need is a pen and they give out folders and pens so you don't need to bring anything

Don't bring those. It's an MMI.

Doubt you would even need those in a regular interview.

Reactions: 5 users
Don't bring anything. Also I know a lot of people like to try to scribble a ton of notes and use the paper they provide - but try to avoid that if you can. Engage with the interviewer rather than reciting back notes your made in the minute after reading the prompts. If you're going to write anything just bullet point a couple things you want to hit, but I've seen people come out with a completely full sheet of paper, and interviewers don't want to sit and watch you read from your sheet

Reactions: 2 users
Don't bring anything. Also I know a lot of people like to try to scribble a ton of notes and use the paper they provide - but try to avoid that if you can. Engage with the interviewer rather than reciting back notes your made in the minute after reading the prompts. If you're going to write anything just bullet point a couple things you want to hit, but I've seen people come out with a completely full sheet of paper, and interviewers don't want to sit and watch you read from your sheet

Thank you so much for the info. I'm getting a bit antsy over the upcoming interview.

Thank you so much for the info. I'm getting a bit antsy over the upcoming interview.

There is a closet where you can leave your belongings during the interview. But I agree, you really don't need anything.

Does anyone know what's going on with the Facebook group?