2016-2017 Oakland University (Beaumont) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sure somewhere on the school site there should be a credit transfer guide. Or you could ask a counselor.

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected today

OOS, 3.97 masters gpa, lower ugpa, 513 MCAT

Secondary App Complete 6/28

Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that! Were you sent an email?

Yes, I was sent an email:

"Thank you for applying to the Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine. We appreciate your interest in joining our medical school. We have completed a review of your application materials and regret to inform you that we will not be offering you an interview for the 2017 admission cycle.

We wish you the best in your pursuit of medical education."

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I was sent an email:

"Thank you for applying to the Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine. We appreciate your interest in joining our medical school. We have completed a review of your application materials and regret to inform you that we will not be offering you an interview for the 2017 admission cycle.

We wish you the best in your pursuit of medical education."

Sorry to hear that! I'm sure you'll have much better luck throughout the rest of your application cycle with your stats!

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected this morning. LizzyM ~72. Stings since this is the first school I heard back from. But I guess it's better than leaving me hanging until March.... :/

Rejected this morning. LizzyM ~72. Stings since this is the first school I heard back from. But I guess it's better than leaving me hanging until March.... :/
Jesus it's kinda freaking me out that people with similar/better stats than me are getting rejected already. Almost makes me not want to submit the secondary. Good luck with the rest of your cycle!

Oh no what's going on, sorry to hear that but I am sure you will have better luck elsewhere with those stats !

I wonder what the rejections are based on. Those who have posted about being rejected seem to have stellar stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear, but I'm sure with a LizzyM~74, you'll hear back favorably from other schools!

Comforting to know I'm not the only one aboard the OUWB rejection train

It's not a private school, it's a public school that's pretty OOS friendly , I think they take about 62 percent OOS according to msar

You sure? In their FAQ it says "The Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine is a privately funded medical school. We charge the same tuition rate regardless of state of residence." I'm not from the US so I'm not sure what constitutes private vs public funding, but I'm assuming privately funded entails private?

I wonder what the rejections are based on. Those who have posted about being rejected seem to have stellar stats.

They seem to be more interested in particular characteristics based on ECs and essays.

Oh really, that's interesting
I mean I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. They say on their website they're private. Their IS and OOS tuition is the same. And eveeryone I've ever heard talk of them has referred to them as private. And OU is my undergrad so I've heard a lot.
The only way I will be convinced I'm wrong is if I hear otherwise directly from them.

Honestly, though, it doesn't make a difference to me. I just want in, lol

Oh wow. These rejections with these high stats are crazy. I am sitting with a LizzyM of a 67, so I guess I get to wait for my rejection email any time now. Or I guess I can have that small hope that I have something that hooked them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oakland University is public but the medical school specifically is private. There is no IS/OOS bias - in fact, there are more Californians than Michiganders in my class.

OUWB is not very stats driven, TBH. As long as your stats are indicative of success in med school, they'll consider you. We don't talk much about our MCAT scores in my class, but there are people I'm highly suspicious scored extremely well, and there are people like me who were on the lower end (I was below 30 on the old scale). OUWB's admissions process is honestly very holistic - I know every school says that, but if my application was any indicator it's definitely true here. I had a low MCAT but I fit the mission of the school, and my ECs, essays, and interview showed it. This is the one thread where the stats of people getting interviews or rejections will not be very useful.

Thank you for that insight. I am hoping for the same. I truly do believe I fit the mission although my MCAT is slightly lacking

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So.. thus far no IIs? Just rejections? I don't know how I feel right now. Completed 6/29

Msar is wrong. They publicly state on their site that they are private.
I almost didn't apply because of that. I thought it was public, and I'm OOS. Luckily I went through MSAR and looked at all the schools where the tuition was the same and figured out it is actually private.

Just got a rejection email. I'm kind of dumbfounded. I wish they gave some sort of explanation.
Sorry, I know it is tough. It seems that they are just trying to be transparent. With all the people with great scores, I feel like my chances are dwindling. Stats if you do not mind?

Don't think stats will be of any help to you @yellowbottlesippin, seems to be solely based off mission fit. Also, hopefully the rest of your cycle goes a little better

Sorry, I know it is tough. It seems that they are just trying to be transparent. With all the people with great scores, I feel like my chances are dwindling. Stats if you do not mind?
518. 3.95, 3.95. I thought the rest of my app was good too, though. Married nontrad, veteran, good EC's, etc.....
I mean there obviously had to be some part of it they didn't like, I just wish I knew what it was....
It's just hit me kinda hard, because I could only apply to 4 schools, the ones within a couple hours of my home, so there went 25% of my pool.

Reactions: 6 users
Dang that's rough. You are a super competitive applicant, so I am sure there will be other schools who will extend you an II! Do you think you could share your completion date?

Ouch, didn't know about the 4 schools, all the best though--praying for you over here

Reactions: 1 users