2016-2017 Oakland University (Beaumont) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Questions:
1) How have your experiences serving others contributed to your personal growth?
2) 2. Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.
3) 3. If you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation.

Each essay is 400 words.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Questions:

Your supplemental application consists of one 400-word required essay, two optional essays, an additional information question, and a prerequisite coursework form.

1) How have your experiences serving others contributed to your personal growth?
2) Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.
3) Optional: If you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation.

Each essay has a max 400 words.

@WedgeDawg

Reactions: 1 user
I just got it. Im not sure what to do for the prerequisites because I have fulfilled both options. Do they view one more favorably?

I just got it. Im not sure what to do for the prerequisites because I have fulfilled both options. Do they view one more favorably?
It doesn't matter. The standard reqs still fulfill the new requirements. They just made them more vagueish.....

What courses should we input if we went through the "new requirements" route? I have a bunch of awesome neuro courses that I took with good grades. Or should I put the boring physics, chem, orgo and bio classes?

What courses should we input if we went through the "new requirements" route? I have a bunch of awesome neuro courses that I took with good grades. Or should I put the boring physics, chem, orgo and bio classes?

I'm in the same boat, my microbiology courses were more in depth and the grades were higher than pre-reqs. I included physics in the lab section, but am unsure if the chemistry and ochem should be included in the others.

I just spoke with an admissions counselor about that section. Don't bother trying to impress. She said they don't look at that section, because all that info is in your transcripts and AMCAS. This section is more for the applicant, to ensure they've met all the schools prereqs.

Received... hoping they give me a chance

Members don't see this ad :)
does anybody's password not seem to work?

Not sure if I should do essay 2... I'm a transfer student, which is obviously in the primary application, but I was thinking of expanding on that. Do you think that's pushing it/not really new information? Is anyone else doing the second essay?

(neurotic application season is NOW :eek:)

Not sure if I should do essay 2... I'm a transfer student, which is obviously in the primary application, but I was thinking of expanding on that. Do you think that's pushing it/not really new information? Is anyone else doing the second essay?

(neurotic application season is NOW :eek:)

I'm considering it too, but I'm not sure because it says not to rehash information in the primary. I have a chronic illness and I wrote about it in my personal statement so why repeat? But I've also heard you shouldn't just leave things blank, right???

I'm considering it too, but I'm not sure because it says not to rehash information in the primary. I have a chronic illness and I wrote about it in my personal statement so why repeat? But I've also heard you shouldn't just leave things blank, right???
I wouldn't push it here. I left it blank and simply wrote that since I have turned in AMCAS within the last month, there are no updates. Since it EXPLICITLY states not to repeat, I would avoid doing so.

I wouldn't push it here. I left it blank and simply wrote that since I have turned in AMCAS within the last month, there are no updates. Since it EXPLICITLY states not to repeat, I would avoid doing so.

Would it be wise to use a diversity statement for that optional essay or an essay focusing on a hobby not previously mentioned?

Does anyone else's secondary app say that no LORs have been received..?

Would it be wise to use a diversity statement for that optional essay or an essay focusing on a hobby not previously mentioned?
This is my personal advice, but I wouldn't necessarily do a diversity statement either. Now a hobby that you have yet to mention (that IS important to you), I would go for it. That could make for a good essay. But overall, I don't think they are looking for too many people to fill this essay out. Again, just personal advice.

Please help! I proceeded with the 'new requirements', because I thought I satisfied that criteria.
a8froFr.png

they are asking for TWO statistics courses!! I only took one, they didn't even specify before I selected that option.
What should I do? I can't change my choice. Should I just enter the same class twice??

Please help! I proceeded with the 'new requirements', because I thought I satisfied that criteria.
a8froFr.png

they are asking for TWO statistics courses!! I only took one, they didn't even specify before I selected that option.
What should I do? I can't change my choice. Should I just enter the same class twice??
They don't need two unless they were quarter hour courses. If you took a semester hour course, you should be fine with one. And it's unnecessary to go by the new reqs if you satisfied the old ones. The old reqs still fulfill the new standards.

They don't need two unless they were quarter hour courses. If you took a semester hour course, you should be fine with one. And it's unnecessary to go by the new reqs if you satisfied the old ones. The old reqs still fulfill the new standards.
Thank you. Unfortunately I cannot change my reqs to the old one, the system won't let me go back. And it will not allow me to leave that second field blank. What should I do?

Thank you. Unfortunately I cannot change my reqs to the old one, the system won't let me go back. And it will not allow me to leave that second field blank. What should I do?
Not sure. I didn't click on that one, so I don't know what it looks like. Maybe someone else could comment that successfully finished it via the new requirements page.

I left the second field blank and it allowed me to submit!

So the traditional requirements call for two semesters of math. I did one semester of calc and one semester of stats, but both in the second semester. For some reason it keeps highlighting the first semester and saying I cant leave it blank.. is anyone else having this issue? Idk what I should do

Thanks mrslandingham for posting those tweets. I was thinking about using essay 2 as a 'why' statement. Good to see they don't want that.

If I fulfilled my statistics requirement through an AP course and did not take a college statistics course; am I not eligible to apply to this school?

If I fulfilled my statistics requirement through an AP course and did not take a college statistics course; am I not eligible to apply to this school?
If I remember correctly, on the screen where you enter the courses, there is a yes/no check box for whether or not it was AP

On the far right side of where you enter the courses and grades? I used the traditional requirement page, if that matters.

When it says enter course name does it mean the whole name or like BIO 100?

When it says enter course name does it mean the whole name or like BIO 100?
Yeah I also put the actual name of the course under course name and then I put BIOL #### under course number, if I remember correctly. I completed the secondary a few days ago.

Not a current applicant, but I was planning on applying for the 2019 cycle. Nontrad.

Will psych, sociology and statistics be a definite requirement in the next couple years? I guess I got careless due to the status of those courses as "recommended" courses at most other medical schools.

How have people been tackling essay #1? I already have an essay I wrote up that goes into great detail about 1 specific experience that was very formative. It seems like the essay might be more geared for a kind of overview of community service activities though.

How have people been tackling essay #1? I already have an essay I wrote up that goes into great detail about 1 specific experience that was very formative. It seems like the essay might be more geared for a kind of overview of community service activities though.

I wrote about service that wasn't really community service but service to others.

Last edited:
I wrote about my time teaching in an inner-city school... I think it's okay to talk about a role that maybe isn't cookie cutter "community service" if the position is still one in which you were serving others, does that make sense? Obviously I was paid as a teacher, but I served my students... that was my take on it.

The experience I have in mind is certainly community service, just wondering if other people honed in on a specific activity or spoke more generally.

Normally I would call them and ask about it but I'm just taking it as a sign to work on a different school's app instead and check back in a day or so.