2016-2017 Oakland University (Beaumont) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone having trouble logging on to the supplemental portal??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might be my #1 school! Going to a campus event on Friday. Good luck to everyone applying!

Help needed! For the Biology/chemistry/physics lab course requirement for the "new requirements" option, is that a course that is just a lab or a course WITH a lab?! I have not completed just a lab course without a course-based portion, and have selected the "new requirements" option and can't go back now :S Does anyone know what to do?

Hopefully we'll hear something soon. This about the same time they send out the first II'S every other year.
Also it says on their site that the first interviews will be held September 9th.

Reactions: 1 user
Got a rejection email just barely. Good luck to everyone still shooting for a seat here!

Got a rejection email just barely. Good luck to everyone still shooting for a seat here!
You just got one right now? Sorry to hear that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Email came at noon and said:
"Thank you for applying to the Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine. We appreciate your interest in joining our medical school. We have completed a review of your application materials and regret to inform you that we will not be offering you an interview for the 2017 admission cycle."

I was complete 7/4, OOS, cGPA: 3.84, MCAT: 524

"Thank you for applying to the Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine. We appreciate your interest in joining our medical school. We have completed a review of your application materials and regret to inform you that we will not be offering you an interview for the 2017 admission cycle."

Never good to hear bad news, but I suspect you will be OK ;)

Haha okay I am glad you have good stats. They thought you would never go here. Have fun in medical school because you are going to make a LOT of them

I could have told you Oakland wouldn't give you any love lol. You'll be ok, your stats are legit af.

I hope I don't get yield screened out like that. 3.95 and 518. But I'm IS and Oakland is my undergrad, so hopefully I'll have some luck.

I could have told you Oakland wouldn't give you any love lol. You'll be ok, your stats are legit af.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm Canadian, so I applied here because they take a relatively good number of international students, and I was hoping that generally because it's a bit more competitive for internationals they'd still take a look at me even though my stats were higher than their 10-90 MCAT range, but I guess they still decided to give me the boot. That's ok though, rejections are just part of the process. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm Canadian, so I applied here because they take a relatively good number of international students, and I was hoping that generally because it's a bit more competitive for internationals they'd still take a look at me even though my stats were higher than their 10-90 MCAT range, but I guess they still decided to give me the boot. That's ok though, rejections are just part of the process. Good luck to you!

Hey, with those stats I believe you should be competitive at any medical school in Canada! Are you applying in Canada as well?

Hey, with those stats I believe you should be competitive at any medical school in Canada! Are you applying in Canada as well?
No, I've been living in the states for a while, my wife's an American, and we're hoping to stick around stateside

OUWB Admissions Twitter account posted this in response to some recent comments on SDN:

Sorry to hear about the rejections and wishing you the best of luck with your cycles! For the rest of you, looks like some IIs (interview invites) may be going out in the next week or so (again, according to the Admissions Twitter).

ETA: Also, I wanted to reiterate something I posted in last year's application thread...try your best not to get into this whirlwind of speculation and second guessing yourself based on other applicants' posts in this thread. Remember that even with their stats, complete date, and state or residence, you are seeing a very, very small portion of their application and it is impossible to draw any meaningful conclusions about whether or when you'll get an interview or acceptance from the information you get here. Your apps are in, things will happen how they happen, and no amount of stressing or speculating will change that. This goes for all schools, not just OUWB. That said, out of the various schools where I applied and interviewed, OUWB is one of the most transparent admissions offices I worked with. A lot of my classmates feel the same way. Keep an eye on the Twitter account and the emails you get - they will keep you in the loop with what's going on. I know this is easier said than done, but it will save you a lot of stress!

That's pretty funny. It is rather insulting to suggest that someone is essentially "too good" for this school.

That's pretty funny. It is rather insulting to suggest that someone is essentially "too good" for this school.
Nobody said anything about being too good for the school. If people thought they were too good, why would a school get thousands of apps a year? That's not what yield protection is. Yield protection is when a school passes over an applicant because they believe they are not likely to actually attend the school for one reason or another, and they don't want to waste resources/interview slots on them. If OUWB says they don't do it, I believe them because they seem like a pretty straightforward school, but a lot of schools really do practice it.

I love the admissions twitter account. They're so good at subtly making fun of SDN.

Reactions: 9 users
OUWB Admissions Twitter account posted this in response to some recent comments on SDN:

Sorry to hear about the rejections and wishing you the best of luck with your cycles! For the rest of you, looks like some IIs (interview invites) may be going out in the next week or so (again, according to the Admissions Twitter).

ETA: Also, I wanted to reiterate something I posted in last year's application thread...try your best not to get into this whirlwind of speculation and second guessing yourself based on other applicants' posts in this thread. Remember that even with their stats, complete date, and state or residence, you are seeing a very, very small portion of their application and it is impossible to draw any meaningful conclusions about whether or when you'll get an interview or acceptance from the information you get here. Your apps are in, things will happen how they happen, and no amount of stressing or speculating will change that. This goes for all schools, not just OUWB. That said, out of the various schools where I applied and interviewed, OUWB is one of the most transparent admissions offices I worked with. A lot of my classmates feel the same way. Keep an eye on the Twitter account and the emails you get - they will keep you in the loop with what's going on. I know this is easier said than done, but it will save you a lot of stress!

Bummer, I thought I had at least competitive ECs, but maybe not. Oh well, hopefully I have better luck elsewhere, good luck guys!

Bummer, I thought I had at least competitive ECs, but maybe not. Oh well, hopefully I have better luck elsewhere, good luck guys!

At least you got your own personal tweet ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Just submitted my secondary! WHOOOOO even receiving a supplementary submission confirmation email from Oakland makes me feel excited <3 OOS applicant here hoping for some love!

For those of you who have submitted, what does your status show up as ? Mine just says "Yes".

For those of you who have submitted, what does your status show up as ? Mine just says "Yes".
1469068179530.jpg

Does catching them all on Pokemongo count as excellence in an activity?! Jokes aside I really appreciate the transparency of this school!

Reactions: 2 users
On a related note, I haven't been back since the app was released, but I hear campus is absolutely covered with Pokestops and both the library and clock tower (which is right outside O'Dowd where we have our classes) are gyms.
And the dome.
I don't really play much, because it gets boring quick, but I do leave the app open when I run around campus, to hatch eggs. Get some pretty cool stuff around the wooded section of the campus.

Last edited:
What do I do if I have not taken 2 semesters of Biochemistry, only one? In the pre-req section, it won't allow me to save it unless I fill in both slots for completing the Biochem pre-reqs. Thanks!

So is the general consensus that we should NOT use the optional essay as a "Why OUWB?" essay?

So is the general consensus that we should NOT use the optional essay as a "Why OUWB?" essay?

I called when I got the secondary and told them that there was no place for me to state my ties to the campus (I lived 2 blocks from campus for 9 years). They just said to write it in that optional essay, kind of like a "Why OUWB?" essay. So maybe not a full essay, but let them know some ties to the school if you have any?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Current M3 at OUWB. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask or PM me! I got a lot from these threads when I was applying, so I like to help out as much as I can. I'll try to get back to you quickly. We can get busy but don't worry, I'll get to you.

I am a bit confused about the new requirements section

If I have taken biohem twice (ugrad and grad), does that mean I should put them both? I got same grade on both

Also, did you guys pick the classes you did best in to fill up the credit hours and the boxes apart from the lab/biochem requirement?

For example, I took classes like astronomy in which I did better in than in my core physics classes. Should I put the A in or put in the more challenging class? Also, are grad classes/ SMP classes appropriate for filing up pre reqs? Is it ok to put only those classes because those are my best performances and my most recent ones too

What do I do if I have not taken 2 semesters of Biochemistry, only one? In the pre-req section, it won't allow me to save it unless I fill in both slots for completing the Biochem pre-reqs. Thanks!
You do not need 2 semesters of Biochem, most applicants don't have that. Mine wouldn't let me submit either, triple checked everything, still wouldn't work. So I saved the page, logged out, logged in, and it let me submit.

How do they count credits here? Like what would I put for a one semester course or a full year course?

However many credits the class was worth?....

Right, but at my school a one semester course is worth 0.5 credits and a full year is worth 1 credit...I can't input 0.5, so that's clearly not what I'm supposed to be inputting. Does anyone know how many credits these courses would translate to?