2020-2021 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pre-II R today

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also still waiting no II and no R. Secondary submitted early august IS.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To people who got accepted: how long did you wait after your interview before you got the news? I had my interview last week but don't remember them saying anything about when we'd hear back.

To people who got accepted: how long did you wait after your interview before you got the news? I had my interview last week but don't remember them saying anything about when we'd hear back.
I heard back in about 3 weeks.

Edit: I interviewed back in November if that information is helpful

like 2-3 weeks maybe?

if any accepted students wanna chat plz message me so i can get ur contact info! this cycle is beating the crap out of me (6 WL) and this is my only acceptance. i’m from florida so i’m trying really hard to get excited about this school despite the distance/ weather lol and could use some friends that are considering ouwb too!

Post-II R. Interviewed 3/4. I didn’t know they did rejections, I thought they had multiple tiers of waitlists but I guess I was wrong. Pretty upset, I thought I did really well.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Accepted! Interviewed 3/4 and received the call today.

Reactions: 5 users
can any accepted students speak on scholarships you've been awarded from Oakland? Are all scholarships either half or full tuition?

I think they do quarter as well, I still haven’t heard back regarding scholarship :/
According to their most recent newsletter, financial aid award letters will be going on the first week of April, so I don't think anyone has heard back about scholarships. 😉

According to their most recent newsletter, financial aid award letters will be going on the first week of April, so I don't think anyone has heard back about scholarships. 😉
They call people for the merit ones, people have already heard back

I saw 113 OUWB M4’s matched. Does that mean their match rate is 90% roughly considering their class size is usually 125?

Have any accepted students been able to use the choose your medical school tool through AAMC?

Their match looks pretty competitive this year!

I saw 113 OUWB M4’s matched. Does that mean their match rate is 90% roughly considering their class size is usually 125?
Although we started with around 125, some students completely dropped, others joined the class below, some are taking a year off to do research, and I believe some did not match. That number also includes students from the class above that took a year off to do research and now matched this year, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Have financial aid offers come out? I received a merit scholarship back in like october
I was mainly referring to merit, worried I won't get one; we can see our financial aid on our SAIL account though

Last edited:
I was mainly referring to merit, worried I won't get one; we can see our financial aid on our SAIL account though
thank you for the info! Also did not receive any merit aid(financial aid is currently all loans) so we can go into debt with loans together? :/

Wow. Looking back and forth between my financial aid offer and EFC is making my head spin. If their average student indebtedness is $220k, who in the world is getting these scholarships?

Wow. Looking back and forth between my financial aid offer and EFC is making my head spin. If their average student indebtedness is $220k, who in the world is getting these scholarships?
Well...you see how averages actually work is:
Daddy paid for everything: 0-very minimal Debt
Middle-class sucks: $350-400k Debt

Average: 200k. AAMC needs to start reporting medians for this metric to ever be relevant.

Reactions: 2 users
That’s what I was wondering lol

For whatever reason, when I heard 'financial aid' I was assuming it was like another form of scholarship. So I checked my SAIL account and nope, it's just federal loans. I did receive a quarter tuition scholarship from OUWB back in the fall, fortunately, but that hardly makes a dent when you take into account the cost of living and private school tuition. Cheers.

For whatever reason, when I heard 'financial aid' I was assuming it was like another form of scholarship. So I checked my SAIL account and nope, it's just federal loans. I did receive a quarter tuition scholarship from OUWB back in the fall, fortunately, but that hardly makes a dent when you take into account the cost of living and private school tuition. Cheers.
Quarter is better than nothing!

Could any current students explain a little bit about clinical exposure in year 1? Is it only standardized patients, or do M1s also get to go to actual clinics and see real patients? Thanks in advance! :)

Could any current students explain a little bit about clinical exposure in year 1? Is it only standardized patients, or do M1s also get to go to actual clinics and see real patients? Thanks in advance! :)
It is mainly standardized patient encounters. There may be an opportunity here or there to see "real" patients but the APM course will prepare you for appropriate history and physical exam skills before you are thrown into clinical experiences. As a fourth year, I can say I did not feel robbed of any experience by seeing standardized patients before real patients.