2019-2020 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any current students share what the M1 class schedule is like?

Yeah, so you can go on the OUWB website to see an academic curriculum overview (Curriculum Maps), but basically, the first semester is mainly 2 core foundational classes.

The foundational classes are split into the first quarter and second quarter, but they are basically continuations of each other. First quarter is AFCP 1 (anatomy/physiology) and BFCP 1 (biology/biochemistry/immunology/pharmacology/microbiology rolled into 1!). Second quarter is basically the same with AFCP 2 and BFCP 2. You will also take semester-long courses: APM 1 (clinical skills), MHCB 1 (bioethics), PMH 1 (public health), EMBARK (research) and PRISM 1 (wellness).

Second semester changes to a more systems block-based format with Hematology/Lymphoid, Neurology 1, Cardiology, and Respiratory. The semester-long courses come back with their part 2 iterations.

I hope that made sense. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask or message me!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, so you can go on the OUWB website to see an academic curriculum overview (Curriculum Maps), but basically, the first semester is mainly 2 core foundational classes.

The foundational classes are split into the first quarter and second quarter, but they are basically continuations of each other. First quarter is AFCP 1 (anatomy/physiology) and BFCP 1 (biology/biochemistry/immunology/pharmacology/microbiology rolled into 1!). Second quarter is basically the same with AFCP 2 and BFCP 2. You will also take semester-long courses: APM 1 (clinical skills), MHCB 1 (bioethics), PMH 1 (public health), EMBARK (research) and PRISM 1 (wellness).

Second semester changes to a more systems block-based format with Hematology/Lymphoid, Neurology 1, Cardiology, and Respiratory. The semester-long courses come back with their part 2 iterations.

I hope that made sense. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask or message me!
Hey thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions. Can you talk more about the housing process. I am from the east coast and I am stressing about finding a house and having time to fully move. How did you find your house and when did you move? Thank you

Completed mid July and just heard back. Was placed on hold? Did anyone else have this happen? Not sure how I can be on hold with the application cycle practically over.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email saying I am kept on hold for further consideration during this cycle. Surprised to not see an R/Interview at this time of the cycle.

Hey thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions. Can you talk more about the housing process. I am from the east coast and I am stressing about finding a house and having time to fully move. How did you find your house and when did you move? Thank you

Hi I am a current student here, also from out of state so I can relate to your worries about housing logistics! For starters, the cost of living here is much cheaper than your typical East/ West coast prices. I was pleasantly surprised. Typically, someone on the accepted students facebook page (a fellow accepted student) will create a google excel sheet for everyone who wants a roommate to input their interests, living preferences, price range etc. You can be the person to create one if it has not been done already! This document was very helpful for a lot of students who wanted to find a roommate. A lot of other people also meet each other at second look. I used second look as an opportunity to set up apartment viewings. DM if you want specifics about how to set up viewings and who to contact. Also DM for specifics about pricing.

Overall, if you live with a roommate in one of the popular apartments around here: Boulevard, FivePoints, Westbury, Beaconhill, your rent will be very reasonable. Living with 3 roommates will of course be cheaper than living with 1 or alone. I live with 1 roommate.

Places like Boulevard and Five Points are very popular and alot of people put in applications for the waitlist around April. I submitted an application to Boulevard the day after second look and was high on the wait list. Do not wait until the last minute to find a place and a roommate. A few students who waited too long this year were living in hotels until a place opened up. At the same time, do not stress about housing! We are here to answer questions. Mid April - May would be a good time to start thinking about it. By June is ideal. Message me for any specific questions I am here to help! Moving from out of state is a big adjustment and takes some planning but its not bad at all!

Also, because i am out of state, I opted to move in a week before classes so I could explore the area and get settled. A number of students in my class (in state and out of state) did the same and we all hung out and explored Michigan together. For example, there is a music festival called MoPop that we all went to and we also went to a rollercoaster park!

Just booked my trip for the second look (courtesy of the coronavirus for making tickets so cheap). Never thought it would be so hard to choose between med schools. Hope to meet some of my potential new classmates soon :)
I would make sure your tickets are refundable. I'm a current OU student, and all the universities around us have converted to all online classes (including MSU undergrad and MSUCOM), some until the end of the semester. Wayne even extended their spring break until March 23 while they figure out what to do, and they will likely make classes online after that. It won't be too long before OU follows which means it will likely affect OUWB's second look as well.

Surely enough, OU just suspended all face to face instruction until the end of the semester (April 25).

Sorry if this was already answered, but does anyone know when the last interview date for OUWB is?

It is supposed to be this Friday (the 13th).
I’m wondering if they’ll cancel/move this interview like CMU did? I’m supposed to interview on this date and am in the area for spring break. I might call tomorrow if they don’t send an email. :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Hey, no problem! There are a few apartments near campus for all price ranges: Westbury, River Oaks, Boulevard. I have been to each apartment complex, and they are all pretty decent. If you would like a roommate, I would highly suggest start messaging matriculants in the roommate finder excel sheet posted in the Facebook group. I found a roommate through this process, and we applied to a few apartment complexes that we liked.

We moved in about 5 days before orientation week, which gave us ample time to get furniture and settle in. I would definitely recommend doing the apartment hunting process as soon as possible so that you get your first choice in housing. Don't stress! You got this, and you have time to get things sorted out!

Just called today. The interview on 3/13 will continue but will no longer include tours of the campus or the hospital.

Well crap, I just bought my tickets for Second look on Sunday.

Current student. DM me if you have questions!

I’m really sorry that the second look cancellation probably threw a wrench in many of your plans.

That being said, we are currently on spring break so if you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask. If there were things you were hoping to get answered during second look, I will try my best answer/ to point you in the right direction. Stay safe everyone!! Safety first!

I want to echo some parts of this post and add that the first semester is the hardest to overcome and after that, the learning gets significantly better. I came to Ouwb with a literature focus and did fine with first semester although it took a lot of work. Lastly, as annoying as learning all the nitty gritty minutia is, there is extensive support of you look in the right places. My biggest advice is that if you are struggling, ask early and professors, administration and current student will work with you to make sure you succeed. Students do not slip through the cracks.

That being said. I agree, first semester was really challenging mainly because of the amount of extra minutia we were required to learn. However as you progress to organ systems, a lot of information from first semester comes back and you start to realize why it was important. It may not come up on boards but the professors think the extra context may help with learning retention or clinical years ? I have no idea.

And yes , the 70% attendance Policy to honor is very annoying first semester for students who may not learn well from sitting in class and being lectured at. There is talk about moving away from this requirement. For our neuroscience class, attendance was not required to honored and interestingly enough, a lot of students still came to class. It was nice to have the flexibility.

With the cancellation of Second Look, I thought it would be appropriate to share my own perspective about the less said positives and negatives of OUWB that official channels do not discuss. Since I am a preclinical M1/M2 student, I will be emphasizing in the first two years which I have the strongest, most recent familiarity with. I’ve made a duplicate account to protect my anonymity but I would be happy to provide more specific details via PM. This post will ideally aid in your decision-making.

The Good

• Responsive administration: The administration has had difficulties with accommodations of the students in the past, but they have been far more helpful as of late. They’re broadly responsive to religious conflicts and physical/mental health conflicts and are generally happy to work with students. Student-suggested changes to the curriculum are frequent for most classes (though many many changes still have to be made, which I will discuss later). We’ve hired a highly available social worker for mental health appointments too which is always good.
  • Academic Comradery: Being an ***hole or an overt gunner is a very fast way to get a bad name here. Students are generally very supportive of one another in terms of academics. I’ve had a number of friends assist me with personal issues as well, and you’ll meet some absolutely wonderful people here. The student body isn’t perfect, with a few bad apples for certain, but in terms of raw academic professionalism, it is very solid.
  • Faculty: The faculty is broadly well-liked and they legitimately care for students. They’re here to teach, and in terms of their motivation and respect towards students, it shows. The quality of teaching isn't always where it ought to be though, which I will touch on a bit later.
  • Opportunities: Although the emphasis here is preclinical, I’d be remiss not to point out that Beaumont is a great health system with many home programs in competitive specialties and frequently favors its own for residency

The Mixed

• Geography: Rochester is cheap, with lots of stores around, but there isn’t a lot to do. It tends to feel small and suffocating for individuals from diverse cities or rural areas, but if you like suburbia, it will be great. Detroit, a bit more interesting, is a bit over a half-hour away, which makes it less viable for frequent visits though it can still be visited from time to time. There is a certain middle-class feel to the campus and medical school which is a great fit for some
  • Attendance/Mandatories: It’s worth noting that with the advent of pass/fail Step 1, preclinical grades may matter more, and you’ll have to attend most classes to receive Honors. In the interests of transparency, there is a movement among students to restrict the attendance requirement but it is unclear how far this will go. Mandatory PRISM wellness programs are useful for some but not all students, and our public health courses essentially are mandatory even though a final examination to prove mastery is provided. Our mandatory patient panels are truly excellent though and well-facilitated, and people are generally fond of bioethics
  • Research: Yes, there is a formal mechanism for research in Embark and you receive ample administrative support, but Beaumont isn’t a research powerhouse. It’s better than most community programs for sure, but if you’re looking to repeatedly publish, this isn't the program for you. If you're just looking to do a bit of research on the side, it may be a strong fit after all.

The Bad
  • AFCP/BFCP (First semester): The quality of teaching for anatomy and foundational biochemistry/immunology is simply not where it ought to be. In sum, you’re given four months of foundational material that other schools deliver in two to three months. What composes the extra time? All sorts of minutia that will rarely if ever be tested on boards but supposedly offers preparation for organ systems. It is notoriously unclear what material is high-yield or non-high yield, particularly in anatomy, so be prepared to spend entire nights memorizing bullet points of information just to be safe. Tests for this unit are nitpicky and rewarding of regurgitation rather than of conceptual understanding.

Essentially, this course is glorified hazing that takes a toll on many students’ mental health. It is the number one reason students are forced to repeat a year. Unless you have a solid background in biochemistry, immunology or anatomy have a near-didactic memory, you definitely can pass but you most likely will struggle. Social science/humanities majors beware. I passed all of my examinations and still take issue with this course - so no skin in this game.

• Overall lecture/exam quality: Organ systems classes are a bit better than AFCP/BFCP in general but suffer for different reasons. The classes are more conceptual and problem-solving oriented, but unclear presentation hurts one’s ability to wrap their heads around it. In particular, certain basic science departments and clinical faculty give notoriously unclear lectures that students frequently supplement with Step 1 preparation material to get the gist of. Practice questions for lectures are non-extensive and are often poorly written as well. The questions for standardized NBME exams are generally fairly chosen but professor-written exams are frequent and rampant with poorly written questions. Questions on occasion require information not visually written down on lecture slides, so if you don’t learn well from the professor’s oral comments, this will be frustrating. I considered putting this in the mixed section as we do have some strong lectures, but I’ve decided to place it more negatively as the weaker lectures considerably drag down the overall experience, forcing students to spend hours figuring out professor intent. I am aware that every med school has weaker portions to its curriculum, but even when considering this, the frequency of low-quality lectures at an educationally-focused medical school like OUWB is far too high.

So that about does it. OUWB is strong in terms of its opportunities and academic support, but the nitty-gritty of lectures and examinations need a considerable amount of work. With Second Look gone, I hope this post will prove useful in making an educated decision about your school choice, and I've edited this post multiple times before posting to give my most fair and educated assessment of my program. And I won’t explicitly recommend for or against the school, because that is a personal decision as you weigh your own interests. But please feel free to reply to this or PM if you have any questions!

Very interested in these comments here, esp. since most students I met at a variety of interviews made it sound like lectures aren't important and they were only using online/other resources to study (even for exams, but also for STEP1). Is this the case at OUWB? Are people using outside resources, or does the mandatory lecture component suck so much time that you can't go find other more relevant material? Phrased another way -- most students I met seemed to have the attitude of "what you're taught in lecture doesn't matter, I don't attend/stream/watch anyways" and so it's interesting to hear that you are so frustrated with the lecture quality (which I was under the impression that most students aren't using).

Can anyone share what the typical M1 schedule is (ex. # of hours of class per day, start/end times, etc.?)

What % of students aren't passing as M1s?

Any thoughts on why lectures aren't good? Newer school = faculty who are less used to lecturing than faculty at a more established program? Are most exams professor written/based on lecture material?

How hard would you say it is it to get honors (vs. just passing)?

Thank you to all the current students for all of your responses so far! I think I can speak for all of us when I say we are all super bummed that second look is canceled, so these responses are very helpful for us.

It's interesting to see the complaints about the foundation courses, as I've never heard students have problems with it.

Couple of questions:
-Do you guys believe the problems with the foundation courses is something to choose a different school over? It's only for a semester (or two?) so I can't imagine it being that drastic of a factor to consider a different school over (maybe idk).

-With the requirement of attending lecture for honors plus all of the other mandatory stuff, studying lecture material, and trying to incorporate outside resources for Step 1/2, do you guys believe the stress level of an OUWB student is higher than the average medical student? Lack of free time?

-The match list of OUWB is very impressive, but I can't tell if it is based on the cohort of students, Step 1 scores, or just the program itself, but with the change in Step 1 to P/F, do you guys think the fact that OUWB is newer and less known, it will lack in competitive matches in the future?

-Hopefully M3/M4 students can chime in on this: How are clinical rotations at Beaumont? I understand it is an incredible hospital system, but in terms of teaching, do you guys believe you are getting an adequate clinical education (one that will prepare you well for residency?). I've heard stories of other medical schools having not so great clinical rotation sites and how this very negatively affects students so I was interested about this.

Thank you again!!

I am curious as to what other current students think about the issues about the curriculum/courses mentioned recently.

Can any current M3/M4 students comment on how the M1/M2 curriculum did or did not prepare them for rotations? Quality of clinical education at Beaumont?

Students from any classes - would you have chosen OUWB again if you could go back? What is work/life balance like? Do you have free time? Time to volunteer, hang out with friends, etc? How often are assessments (quizzes/tests, etc.) and what days of the week do they typically occur on? Too frequent or not frequent enough? Trying to get a sense of general student lifestyle, stress levels, etc.

I honestly don't think too deeply about the foundational courses. Yes, I agree that they do have a lot of specifics that might not be on Step. And when you're studying it just feels like so so much. Do they actually expect me to know all this in ~3 wks?

However, I think they do so because they want us to learn and not study surface level stuff. This actually sucks but what can you do? I don't know about other schools, but I'm sure every school has their own issues/kinks. I do not think that our curriculum is a big deterrent but you'll have to do research and compare that to other schools. It just depends on what is important to you and your process.
--------
Regarding student life in the Fall: It will be a BIG adjustment. Because they throw you right in. I could be wrong but the first day was already busy with 6 classes. You'll hear that medical school is like drinking from a fire hose. This is real. A lot of info is gonna be thrown at you and you'll feel like you can't catch up. You can have free time if you're really structured, but finding that structure can be difficult since you don't know what you're doing in terms of figuring out study habits. I know I had to change mine up and I didn't figure this out until 3 days before the first exam.

Some of my friends and I did volunteer throughout the semester. I wouldn't say we had a lot of time for it though. You have to pick priorities. Do you want to volunteer, study, honor, hang out with friends? This all depends. If you can do it all, then go for it! Everyone is different and that's what you'll find out.

Quizzes: We have weekly formative quizzes for biochem (not graded) to test your understanding. Quizzes for Anatomy are weekly and due on Sunday ~5pm which are timed. Tests usually occur every 4 weeks, however we did have a block that was only 3 weeks. Tests were almost always on Mondays from 12-4:30pm. I believe this is so we get the weekend to study. Then you'd have the night off and PRISM (mentoring) the following day around 1pm. So you get half the morning off and no actual science classes which was nice. Not sure if this will be changing.

My biggest advice is to find your people. They will help you study and provide support. My friends and I almost always made time right after exams even though we were dead tired from studying. Adrenaline keeps you going lol. And sometimes we'd hang out the weekend following exams because the first week is so far out from the next exam and we know we wouldn't feel as guilty compared to hanging out the 2nd/3rd week in that block.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Where do current students live? In auburn hills? Rochester? Do people who are from close by live at home?

Where do current students live? In auburn hills? Rochester? Do people who are from close by live at home?

Hi there!! Overall, many students live very close by ( basically across the street) in the Boulevard and Beacon Hills apartment complexes. Five Points is an apartment complex walking distance from the school. People also live at Auburn Hills Apartments and Westbury apartment complexes (about 10 or so minutes away).

We also have students who commute from home and live with their families in nearby towns. A very small percentage of students (i only know of 1 person in my class), live on campus in the Oakland University apartments. It is much cheaper to live off campus. Some students also live in Pontiac, a nearby town that is mostly comprised of minorities. The housing is considerably cheaper in Pontiac and the commute is generally around 15 minutes. Some people may say the area is not as "safe" but I know a good number of students who live/ have lived there with no issues at all. I do not live in Pontiac but I frequently shop in the area.

I honestly don't think too deeply about the foundational courses. Yes, I agree that they do have a lot of specifics that might not be on Step. And when you're studying it just feels like so so much. Do they actually expect me to know all this in ~3 wks?

However, I think they do so because they want us to learn and not study surface level stuff. This actually sucks but what can you do? I don't know about other schools, but I'm sure every school has their own issues/kinks. I do not think that our curriculum is a big deterrent but you'll have to do research and compare that to other schools. It just depends on what is important to you and your process.
--------
Regarding student life in the Fall: It will be a BIG adjustment. Because they throw you right in. I could be wrong but the first day was already busy with 6 classes. You'll hear that medical school is like drinking from a fire hose. This is real. A lot of info is gonna be thrown at you and you'll feel like you can't catch up. You can have free time if you're really structured, but finding that structure can be difficult since you don't know what you're doing in terms of figuring out study habits. I know I had to change mine up and I didn't figure this out until 3 days before the first exam.

Some of my friends and I did volunteer throughout the semester. I wouldn't say we had a lot of time for it though. You have to pick priorities. Do you want to volunteer, study, honor, hang out with friends? This all depends. If you can do it all, then go for it! Everyone is different and that's what you'll find out.

Quizzes: We have weekly formative quizzes for biochem (not graded) to test your understanding. Quizzes for Anatomy are weekly and due on Sunday ~5pm which are timed. Tests usually occur every 4 weeks, however we did have a block that was only 3 weeks. Tests were almost always on Mondays from 12-4:30pm. I believe this is so we get the weekend to study. Then you'd have the night off and PRISM (mentoring) the following day around 1pm. So you get half the morning off and no actually science classes which was nice. Not sure if this will be changing.

My biggest advice is to find your people. They will help you study and provide support. My friends and I almost always made time right after exams even though we were dead tired from studying. Adrenaline keeps you going lol. And sometimes we'd hang out the weekend following exams because the first week is so far out from the next exam and we know we wouldn't feel as guilty compared to hanging out the 2nd/3rd week in that block.

I want to echo everything in this post and just add that, yes, if I could choose it all over, I would still pick OUWB. I had the option of staying in my state, attending other schools in Michigan and overall more well known and established schools. The interactions that I had both on my interview day and at second look ultimately led me to choose ouwb. I will say that as I went along with my time at OUWB, I quickly realized that every program has its faults and OUWB is no exception. The first semester feels unnecessarily hard and tedious at times (I dont think there is a medical school out there with an "easy" first semester") but overall, even with the grueling first semester and other annoyances, I am not sure if I could find the same dedicated faculty and inspired students elsewhere. Every class has its share of gunners and problematic people, my class included, but the people who are great, are truly great. The community that I made here is what got me through the first semester and what is continuously propelling me through. I have stayed up till 4am with some students, cried and laughed with other students, made silly songs to memorize the information with others. We have student tutors who are willing to prep for and put on sessions days before their own exams. The older students are constantly providing advice / guidance and before each exam block, there are people in my class are willing to share study materials that took them hours to make. I definitely struggled a lot to find my sense of belonging within the community and once I realized it was there all along, my quality of life improved.

I have had professors willing to spend hours explaining one concept to me. Other professors have dedicated extra time during their vacations and evenings to help us succeed. There's a lot that I want to see change about the school but theres also a lot that I have liked. Because I know of the challenges that my friends at other medical schools face, I have realized that no school is perfect and while some things have been different than I imagined,, (and if I hard realized it sooner, I probably would have saved myself a lot of trouble) I would choose it again.

If you have any specific follow ups, feel free to DM me.

Reactions: 5 users
I want to echo everything in this post and just add that, yes, if I could choose it all over, I would still pick OUWB. I had the option of staying in my state, attending other schools in Michigan and overall more well known and established schools. The interactions that I had both on my interview day and at second look ultimately led me to choose ouwb. I will say that as I went along with my time at OUWB, I quickly realized that every program has its faults and OUWB is no exception. The first semester feels unnecessarily hard and tedious at times (I dont think there is a medical school out there with an "easy" first semester") but overall, even with the grueling first semester and other annoyances, I am not sure if I could find the same dedicated faculty and inspired students elsewhere. Every class has its share of gunners and problematic people, my class included, but the people who are great, are truly great. The community that I made here is what got me through the first semester and what is continuously propelling me through. I have stayed up till 4am with some students, cried and laughed with other students, made silly songs to memorize the information with others. We have student tutors who are willing to prep for and put on sessions days before their own exams. The older students are constantly providing advice / guidance and before each exam block, there are people in my class are willing to share study materials that took them hours to make. I definitely struggled a lot to find my sense of belonging within the community and once I realized it was there all along, my quality of life improved.

I have had professors willing to spend hours explaining one concept to me. Other professors have dedicated extra time during their vacations and evenings to help us succeed. There's a lot that I want to see change about the school but theres also a lot that I have liked. Because I know of the challenges that my friends at other medical schools face, I have realized that no school is perfect and while some things have been different than I imagined,, (and if I hard realized it sooner, I probably would have saved myself a lot of trouble) I would choose it again.

If you have any specific follow ups, feel free to DM me.

This post really IS spot on. I know it seems scary hearing a bunch of these things. But for what it's worth, I'd also choose OUWB again. Once I met my classmates, I was truly amazed how they embody the school's mission statement. I know that a friend at another school doesn't have the sense of camaraderie that our school has. Also, the professors DO care about you. You just need to seek them out. One of our professors literally visits the study rooms and teaches you. One time he even offered to have lunch and do a Q&A on his off time.

Thank you so much to all the students who have commented here! Very appreciative for your willingness to share + so excited to join OUWB next year!!

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone heard from financial aid or received scholarship considerations yet?

OMG! Just got accepted to OUWB!!! I'm so ecstatic! My dream school! :soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Can any current M3/M4 students comment on how the M1/M2 curriculum did or did not prepare them for rotations? Quality of clinical education at Beaumont?

Students from any classes - would you have chosen OUWB again if you could go back? What is work/life balance like? Do you have free time? Time to volunteer, hang out with friends, etc? How often are assessments (quizzes/tests, etc.) and what days of the week do they typically occur on? Too frequent or not frequent enough? Trying to get a sense of general student lifestyle, stress levels, etc.

Hi current student in my clinical years.

I think after taking Step 1, you feel adequately prepared for rotations so whether that's from M1/M2 curriculum or not is uncertain. I would say I feel my physical examination skills and history taking skills learned in first two years prepared me well for what I am expected to do in clinics. I still have to brush up on things from my first and second year a lot but I learn them quicker the second time around.

I would say quality of clinical education at Beaumont is hit or miss. For rotations outside of the "big three" (Pediatrics, Internal Med, Surgery) you may spend a lot of time outpatient which can vary from shadowing to seeing patients and writing notes independently. I would say it varies for more inpatient services as well depending on the attending/resident. I think the benefit of a Beaumont clinical education is you are at a large hospital that sees just about everything without having to refer out so you will see a wide variety of diseases that you likely wouldn't at smaller hospitals.

Also I would pick OUWB a million times over if I could do it all again.

Work/life balance is what you make of it and what your personal goals are. If something is important to you, you will prioritize it and make sure it happens. So if spending time with friends/family is important and you study efficiently from 8-5 (for example) there's no reason why you can't take the rest of the night off to hang out. It's really about how you spend your time and what you make work. With that in mind, are there people who never relax or take nights off? Absolutely. But like I said, if something is important to you, you plan accordingly and make it happen. I would say work/life balance improves in organ systems.

Quizzes and tests vary by semester/organ system. For AFCP/BFCP first semester you have an exam every ~4 weeks. You take written BFCp, written AFCP, and a practical all on the same day (Monday). Exams for organ systems are typically on Mondays but they have been making a move to have some on Fridays which is nice because then you have the weekend off to relax without responsibilities. Organ systems vary in length depending on amount of material. They can be 5-6 weeks long or just 2-3 weeks long. Some organ systems are organized with weekly quizzes over the weekend online. It really just depends. Administration is good about listening to us and spreading out exams for longitudinal courses out but occasionally worst case scenario you may have an organ system final/midterm, a PMH exam, and APM OSCE in one week. Rare but can happen. Plenty of people have survived regardless.

Last edited:
Do the current students know if there will be a virtual second look?

Do the current students know if there will be a virtual second look?

Hey Everyone! Here's some info about second look: They're planning on holding a virtual student panel - twice, actually! We will also be doing some things we were planning to present at Second Look virtually. All of those details are being hashed out right now so more information will be available and communicated to those accepted students soon.

Also the videos on the FB group page is our way of answering questions and reaching out!

Let me know if you guys have more questions and suggestions! I'll relay them as best I can.

to current students: does OUWB give out scholarships after financial aid packages have been awarded?

Does anyone know how effective a LOI is at OUWB? I know we don't know what tier waitlist yet but I would like to send mine in now.

to current students: does OUWB give out scholarships after financial aid packages have been awarded?
I spoke to financial aid and they said scholarships can go out up until classes start. It just depends on available funds

Post-II R today, IS and interviewed on 3/13.