2016-2017 Oakland University (Beaumont) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Surprisingly got an interview earlier today.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
for those of you who have interviewed: any tips on the kinds of questions you've been asked? also, how long have your interviews been? interviewing on march 3!

for those of you who have interviewed: any tips on the kinds of questions you've been asked? also, how long have your interviews been? interviewing on march 3!

All the interview questions were pretty standard. Each lasted for 30-ish minutes. One tip: I would recommend familiarizing yourself with the healthcare needs of rural vs. urban Michigan.

Good luck!! You'll have a blast!

There are two 30-minute interviews with two separate faculty members. You may have the Royal Oak hospital tour before both interviews, in-between them, or after both. It was very conversational about my activities on my AMCAS. One interviewer seemed to stick to more of a script but still built conversation off of the questions. Overall a very relaxed day, be confident in yourself and what you've done to get to this point.

There are two 30-minute interviews with two separate faculty members. You may have the Royal Oak hospital tour before both interviews, in-between them, or after both. It was very conversational about my activities on my AMCAS. One interviewer seemed to stick to more of a script but still built conversation off of the questions. Overall a very relaxed day, be confident in yourself and what you've done to get to this point.
thank you so much! i really appreciate your help and insight :)

All the interview questions were pretty standard. Each lasted for 30-ish minutes. One tip: I would recommend familiarizing yourself with the healthcare needs of rural vs. urban Michigan.

Good luck!! You'll have a blast!
thank you so much! i really appreciate your help and your good wishes!

I interviewed on Friday and I must say that the school is pretty impressive. We also were told that we won't hear back until the first or third week of March.

Members don't see this ad :)
To OUWB ADCOM/ accepted students, are we supposed to have received our Grizzly ID and set up a SAIL account? I was accepted two weeks ago, but my Grizzly ID is still listed as pending.

To OUWB ADCOM/ accepted students, are we supposed to have received our Grizzly ID and set up a SAIL account? I was accepted two weeks ago, but my Grizzly ID is still listed as pending.
I still haven't gotten mine either

Reactions: 1 user
Are they going to make offers today? It's 4:50pm and they still haven't started making offers (based on their twitter account)! How late in the day did people receive calls in the past? Past 5pm?

Are they going to make offers today? It's 4:50pm and they still haven't started making offers (based on their twitter account)! How late in the day did people receive calls in the past? Past 5pm?

When they called with my offer a couple of weeks ago, it was around 5:30...so there is still time. Good luck!

When they called with my offer a couple of weeks ago, it was around 5:30...so there is still time. Good luck!

based on past tweets they have usually started making phone calls around 3 or 4 - so i feel like it would be pretty late to start now? or they forgot to tweet that they've started? i haven't heard anything... interviewed 2/3

based on past tweets they have usually started making phone calls around 3 or 4 - so i feel like it would be pretty late to start now? or they forgot to tweet that they've started? i haven't heard anything... interviewed 2/3
Last time meeting they started calling at 4:30 and ended at 5:50pm and then called in the morning (based on their Twitter). So I don't think it's too late. Also this is only the first adcom meeting since your interview so don't feel discouraged if you don't hear anything today. They might just not have gotten to the 2/3 interviews.

Also interviewed 2/3. I dont think they forgot to tweet since nobody else reported receiving a call. Their meeting probably went on for too long, and they decided to postpone making calls to tmrw probably. Hope they at least tweet about what happened before the end of the day.

Completed my secondary in September, and still waiting on a decision. Who's with me? :nailbiting:

Reactions: 1 users
Also interviewed 2/3. I dont think they forgot to tweet since nobody else reported receiving a call. Their meeting probably went on for too long, and they decided to postpone making calls to tmrw probably. Hope they at least tweet about what happened before the end of the day.
Will their twitter be active under the new dean? Just wondering

I think so. Dean G said Kathy is taking over the twitter so it should still be active

Doesn't look like it! Anybody received a call today?!?!

Oh so Dean G left already? I thought she is gonna stay until the end of this cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Hey neurotic students... the committee meets on Wednesday and calls go out on Thursday. Chill the hell out.

Hey neurotic students... the committee meets on Wednesday and calls go out on Thursday. Chill the hell out.
Accepted student here, but just a heads-up, I think it did meet today. The twitter said the next meeting is 2/15. Unless there was a change to that?

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back :) I'll be rooting for you!

Is anyone else slightly concerned by Dean Grabowski leaving? Is there any reason to be concerned? As of this point I'm planning on going to Oakland unless I get off the waitlist somewhere else but I'm just wondering if this should be a factor to consider.

Maybe a current student could give some input on this? @mrslandingham

Actually not true- the last meeting was on 2/1 and calls were made the same day. Same goes for the previous adcom meeting. Saying we're neurotic students is completely unnecessary and unwarranted- thanks.

Reactions: 8 users
Actually not true- the last meeting was on 2/1 and calls were made the same day. Same goes for the previous adcom meeting. Saying we're neurotic students is completely unnecessary and unwarranted- thanks.
True!! This is the very first meeting day this year that they did not start making calls on the same day!

I mean clearly according to their twitter calls go out the next day. Adcom 2/1 calls 2/2. Sit down children ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5136.jpg
    IMG_5136.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 81
I mean clearly according to their twitter calls go out the next day. Adcom 2/1 calls 2/2. Sit down children ;)
Yeah I guess that was the case sometimes. But other times the calls go out on the same day. I got mine on the same day. I think it varies. Good luck to everyone! I really hope you hear some good news tomorrow!

There has to be something wrong with your timezone on Twitter. I am pretty sure that last adcom meeting they started calling the same day, and then continued next thursday. Not trying to start an argument, just saying that calls have always been made on wed except today...

We had her goodbye party this week, I'm not sure when her official last day is.

Oh okay. Thanks for answering my question. Are you aware why there was no tweet about calls today? Is there a delay? Or is it that no one on SDN got a call?

I had a question about housing. Is it true that a spreadsheet with everyone's living preferences, etc, goes out? Or should I try to start to decide on my housing situation now? I know it's early but I don't want to wait so long that roommate arrangements and living arrangements have been decided by everyone else except me haha. @mrslandingham what would you recommend?

Traditionally, the class makes a spreadsheet with everyone's living preferences so you can identify and contact potential roommates. Some current students will probably post a sample in your FB group so you can see what it looks like.

I think it's too early to start deciding housing for a couple reasons. You could check out some complexes in the area and figure out what your options are in terms of price, distance from campus, apartment vs. house, etc. But most places will not sign a lease more than 2-3 months ahead of time unless you're taking over a lease from an existing tenant. In terms of finding a roommate, there will be plenty of people who don't make their final decision until the April 30 date (or whatever the date is now where you have to choose), and if you go to Second Look you can tour some of the more popular complexes and meet potential roommates.

We'll also send out a "survival guide" to you guys before too long that will have a chart with info and price ranges on the popular complexes near OU. It's in the works now.

If it makes you feel better, I didn't sign my lease for M1 year until the summer, and I don't think that was uncommon.
Awesome, thanks so much for this! It really helps to hear about this from someone who went through the process themselves

Are you also a student at OUWB? And that's great to hear :) so happy to hear that

Nope, just recently interviewed and am waiting to hear back. I met about 15-20 current students on my interview day and they were all very genuine and informative people. It was such a great atmosphere and experience.

What exactly are you concerned about?

https://www.uab.edu/medicine/news/l...wski-chosen-to-lead-medical-school-admissions

She finished her PhD in 2016 and was recently selected to fill an associate dean position at UAB.

Congrats to her on the new position.

Edit: for clarification purposes, in academia being an associate dean is a significant career advancement over being an assistant dean (so she basically got a great job offer).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Where are the offers/calls/tweets?!?!