2016-2017 Oakland University (Beaumont) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A little about Second Look since it was mentioned...this is based on my experience when I attended it, and from hearing about it/participating in it since I've been at OUWB. So my usual disclaimer: things may have changed from previous years.

It's a two day thing, typically Friday and Saturday. You learn more about the curriculum and activities at OUWB. You get to see our Clinical Skills Center at Beaumont-Troy, which you did not see on your interview day, and participate in a joint injection workshop (I can't remember if it was with faculty, residents, or what) to show how the clinical teaching works. They take you out to dinner in downtown Rochester and afterward there may or may not be an unofficial gathering with current students at a local establishment. They also take you around to tour some of the more popular apartment complexes in the area. You will meet a ton more current students and faculty. You also get more free stuff in classic OUWB fashion.

If you are strongly considering attending OUWB, I highly recommend coming to Second Look to meet potential roommates, check out apartments/the area, etc. I especially recommend this if you're from out of state and it won't be easy for you to do apartment hunting, meet people, etc. over the summer.

If you are deciding between schools and feel like you need a little more info, I recommend it if it's not inconvenient to make the trip. It is a good way to get to know the school a little better and you get all kinds of free food and stuff.

Looking forward to welcoming lots of you to the OUWB family in the fall!
Will it be necessary to have a car at second look during the day?

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected this morning. Complete mid Sep

Grandma said " an watched pot never boils", I say it boils and evaporated now. Good Bye OUWB !
Intriguing things about OUWB, all my 6 friends with Lizzy M > 72 with MCAT > 33 (513) got rejected pre-interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grandma said " an watched pot never boils", I say it boils and evaporated now. Good Bye OUWB !
Intriguing things about OUWB, all my 6 friends with Lizzy M > 72 with MCAT > 33 (513) got rejected pre-interview.

They must be plugs

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They must be plugs

Well, all those friends are hard working, a few good pre-meds with nice personality, far far from "plugs".
I am saying about the facts happened, however, it shall not be interpreted as generalization. We all need to respect each school's selection rules, also mutual respect is the necessary and the basic virtue among the peer colleagues as well, especially here in the same boat.

Well, all those friends are hard working, a few good pre-meds with nice personality, far far from "plugs".
I am saying about the facts happened, however, it shall not be interpreted as generalization. We all need to respect each school's selection rules, also mutual respect is the necessary and the basic virtue among the peer colleagues as well, especially here in the same boat.

I am accepted to OUWB and am 99% sure I will attend there in the fall. With that said, my credentials are very similar to those you are mentioning that didn't get an interview: My GPA is 3.85+ (4.0 BPCM), 90%+ MCAT, multiple degrees including professional degree (top 5% of class in graduate school), good extra-curriculars, minor research (research is what I would consider my "weakness" on my application). So I don't think OUWB is avoiding/afraid of students with similar statistics. The one thing I learned in this process is that medical school admissions is a black-box. Admissions work in mysterious ways.

Edit: Also, I may or may not be a "plug" - depends who you ask. ;)

Last edited:
I am accepted to OUWB and am 99% sure I will attend there in the fall. With that said, my credentials are very similar to those you are mentioning that didn't get an interview: My GPA is 3.85+ (4.0 BPCM), 90%+ MCAT, multiple degrees including professional degree (top 5% of class in graduate school), good extra-curriculars, minor research (research is what I would consider my "weakness" on my application). So I don't think OUWB is afraid/avoiding students with similar statistics. The one thing I learned in this process is that medical school admissions is a black-box. Admissions work in mysterious ways.
Congrats, and concede ! also I can't agree with you more about "Black box", only authorities can decode it.... ;)

Congrats, and concede ! also I can't agree with you more about "Black box", only authorities can decode it.... ;)

Thanks! This whole application process has been crazy. I've been rejected pre-II from "safety" schools (some of which I was actually really interested in attending for personal reasons), while watching students with what objectively looked like lower credentials getting interviews and acceptances. I have also interviewed at "reach" schools while I have seen students that are objectively more qualified being rejected pre-II.

What this has taught me is that what I consider objective is clearly subjective to the admission committees.

Also, with respect to OUWB, I think their mission/vision/goals make them much more subjective/holistic than the majority of schools (which can be viewed as even more confusing when looking at "objective" standards).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

I think it's quite the coincidence actually. When I ha my interview, there was a group of like 8 MS1s. And they mentioned that all of them had a LizzyM of 72 or more when they applied. I thought it was kind of wrong for them to say that on interview day, but it does show that Oakland takes the high scorers too.

I have a LizzyM >72 with similar MCAT credentials to what you just listed-and I got in. OUWB is about holistic review; that means numbers matter but they are not everything-the entire application set is what matters. So I don't think OUWB necessarily rejected anyone just because they happened to have high scores.

That said, I really hope that your friends were able to gain admission into a medical school somewhere! :) I know first hand the stress of the admissions process/waiting game and wish them all the best

Does anyone know exactly when second look day is? I know that woman who called with acceptances mentioned it being around the end of march, but I can't remember the exact days...

Does anyone know exactly when second look day is? I know that woman who called with acceptances mentioned it being around the end of march, but I can't remember the exact days...
March 31 and April 1, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is it

Members don't see this ad :)

Considering its so soon it would be wonderful if they could maybe email us with dates and times...

I am accepted to OUWB and am 99% sure I will attend there in the fall. With that said, my credentials are very similar to those you are mentioning that didn't get an interview: My GPA is 3.85+ (4.0 BPCM), 90%+ MCAT, multiple degrees including professional degree (top 5% of class in graduate school), good extra-curriculars, minor research (research is what I would consider my "weakness" on my application). So I don't think OUWB is avoiding/afraid of students with similar statistics. The one thing I learned in this process is that medical school admissions is a black-box. Admissions work in mysterious ways.

Edit: Also, I may or may not be a "plug" - depends who you ask. ;)

Did you get a scholarship?

I'm an M2. I absolutely love it. The teaching is really excellent - pretty much all the pre-clinical lecturers said came to OUWB despite it being a newer school because they wanted to focus on teaching. Abundant and diverse research opportunities, including clinical at Beaumont, public health/community-based with local organizations, and basic science. Very patient-centered curriculum as well. I like living in the area and love all of my classmates and professors. It's an extremely supportive environment where people look out for each other and take care of each other. I had some personal issues last spring and people came out of the woodwork to help me out with stuff I needed. And the school really does try to make things as manageable as possible for us.

My complaints are super minor, like the way certain courses are structured and parking is annoying and that kind of thing, but the administration is very, very responsive if we suggest reasonable changes. A few people I know of complain of all the "extra" stuff we have to do - ethics class, public health lectures, etc. - but personally I chose OUWB because the curriculum also emphasizes on the non-science aspects of patient care. People also complain that you need to attend 70% of classes to honor a class, but again, I do prefer to go to lecture regardless so this isn't a major drawback for me either.

Feel free to post here or PM me if you have more questions!

Being an M2 and probably in step1 study mode, how well do you feel lectures prepared you for step content?

Is there a second look day?

Edit: Dumb question just looked above lol.

Last edited:
Just received pre-II rejection. Complete mid-September.

Officially lost hope! Another meeting and no call yet. Looks like I am going to have to take a gap year! :(

This thread is usually not that silent right after a round of calls. That's weird.... am I the only one still waiting to hear back? lol

Last edited:
Accepted earlier today (interviewed 2/17)!

This thread is usually not that silent right after a round of calls. That's weird.... am I the only one still waiting to hear back? lol
nope me as well and I interviewed a week before you :)

Aw man. I hope we both get accepted, I really do! :( Do you think we still have hope?
I know!! I wish you all the best! I really hope so! It's not over until its over :) I know its more stressful since its nearing the end of interviews, but there is definitely still hope! Would be nice to hear back soon though

Aw man. I hope we both get accepted, I really do! :( Do you think we still have hope?

The twitter page announced that they had finished reviews for 1/26 and 2/3. Had made all the calls. Since someone on this thread who was interviewed on 2/17 already got in, I guess they were able to review some from that day too. In any case, I'm still hoping. OUWB is such an amazing school. Good luck to everyone!

The twitter page announced that they had finished reviews for 1/26 and 2/3. Had made all the calls. Since someone on this thread who was interviewed on 2/17 already got in, I guess they were able to review some from that day too. In any case, I'm still hoping. OUWB is such an amazing school. Good luck to everyone!

Well, I interviewed 1/13 so they already reviewed apps from my interview date lol. When did you interview? Oh and good luck to you too :)

Has anybody received any scholarship (merit or need) from OUWB recently (in February)? Just trying to figure out how often the finance team meets and gives scholarships.

Reactions: 1 users

Somewhat peculiar that there has been no mention of 2/10 interviews either on twitter or being accepted on this thread.

Well, I interviewed 1/13 so they already reviewed apps from my interview date lol. When did you interview? Oh and good luck to you too :)
Oh wow. Didn't mean to be so flippant. I thought not having a reply (accepted, rejected or waitlisted) right away is not necessarily a bad thing. That you're still being reviewed. But I could be mixing up this info from other schools. Someone here can correct me. The waiting game is painful!

Oh wow. Didn't mean to be so flippant. I thought not having a reply (accepted, rejected or waitlisted) right away is not necessarily a bad thing. That you're still being reviewed. But I could be mixing up this info from other schools. Someone here can correct me. The waiting game is painful!

True. It is better than being waitlisted or rejected. But still not as good as an acceptance haha

I think that just means they have not gotten to it. Or completed it. The Twitter acc didn't mention that date.

Right - but apparently someone from 2/17 was accepted. Maybe they have some sort of process with certain applications (e.g the one in this thread from 2/17) that causes them to be reviewed sooner. @aroo486 anything to add? Did you receive a scholarship by chance?

Is anyone having issues with this site? Seems like the formatting has changed. I think this might have happened earlier this week too

Preclinical: Honors/Pass/Fail for most classes, though some are strictly P/F. 90%+ is honors, 70%+ is pass. There is also a 70% attendance requirement to honor some courses (I posted about this a few weeks ago, check my post history for details). There's no curve or anything, so theoretically the entire class could honor if we all got 90 or above.

Clinical: Honors/High pass/Pass/Fail. To honor, you need to get an honors designation for your performance on the rotation and score 90%+ on the shelf. If you get one or the other, you high pass. 70%+ on the shelf and pass designation for the rotation is a pass. Again, no curve.

Ranking: There is no ranking until they write our dean's letter for residency application (or maybe for AOA? I haven't looked into it). At that point, we are ranked into whether we are in the top quartile, second, third, or bottom. This ranking is based on some algorithm they use that has to do with the raw number of honors, high pass, and passes we have, and they take into account the number of credits each course was (for instance, our 6 week GI course is weighted heavier than our 2 week behavioral science course). I am an M2 and I don't know what my ranking is right now, but I have a general idea of where I fall in the class based on exam averages and that kind of thing.

Hope this helps!

Just curious how difficult it is to receive certain percentages in each pre-clinical class (i.e., 90% or 70%). I know this is somewhat subjective, depending on the student and the class/subject, but I was curious if people struggle to get 70% or it its manageable if you take your studies seriously. Also, is 90% manageable, or does that come down to getting lucky on some exams? Thanks for the info!

So I'll preface this by saying that as long as you're passing and do solid on step 1, your preclinical grades don't matter that much in terms of residency applications. Unless a school is failing huge amounts of people regularly or there's reason to believe that a school is not providing you with the knowledge you need for step 1 or good patient care - which I don't anticipate to be the case at any US med school - this should be lower down on your list of things to consider when choosing a school.

Moving on:

There have been several exams where we were told everybody passed; otherwise based on what I've heard through the grapevine it's rarely more than a few people failing. I know a handful of people who failed an exam at one point or another, and it has usually been due to extenuating circumstances like a family emergency or significant illness. Passing is very achievable if you put in a reasonable amount of work.

Honoring depends on the course, and for me sometimes it has been luck (e.g. lots of questions on topics I was more comfortable with). It's harder for me to evaluate this because we don't talk about grades much beyond whether we passed. Some exams have high averages, some have lower, and I assume that correlates with how many people honored. I am definitely in the lower end of my class intelligence and grade-wise, but I've still managed to squeak by with a couple honors here and there.

Thanks!

Does anyone (including current students) know what the class average for Step 1 was this year (or last year)?

Was rejected last week (3/1) by e-mail. Interivewed on 2/10. LizzyM 69-70. I was really impressed by the program and would've loved to have attended the school, but it looks like I didn't make the cut.

Was rejected last week (3/1) by e-mail. Interivewed on 2/10. LizzyM 69-70. I was really impressed by the program and would've loved to have attended the school, but it looks like I didn't make the cut.

Sorry about that man. I hope you get an acceptance from somewhere else.... I interviewed on the same day and have not heard anything back yet. When did they email you?

It may have already been discussed here, but how rough is the mandatory attendance at OUWB?

Sorry about that man. I hope you get an acceptance from somewhere else.... I interviewed on the same day and have not heard anything back yet. When did they email you?

Got the e-mail last Wednesday 3/1. I'm sitting on a few acceptances so it's not the end of the world, and I think you'll have a good shot of getting in since they haven't rejected you so far.

Hey everyone! I'm posting the following on behalf of a friend who is currently a medical student here. It's simply a different perspective on some topics discussed in this thread

- Pre-clinical grades may not matter a whole heck of a lot, but class rank does. If you do not comply with the 70% attendance requirement, you are ineligible for honors and your class rank will suffer.
- The 70% attendance requirement coupled with the incredibly poor scheduling of classes certainly can feel oppressive. Most days, we are on campus from 8am-4pm. Sure, there's a 2 hour lunch break, but that's not enough time to actually sit down and power through material. So, 4-5 days a week, you're only getting a few hours of studying in versus med students at other schools who have most of the day every day.
- The over scheduling of students has affected the morale of our class. We don't have as much time take care of ourselves (focus on "wellness") as we should, because we sit in lecture all day then try and actually learn the material all evening.
- The M1 class lost 7 (!!) students after the first semester. That's an abnormally high percentage and as far as I know, the administration has not taken any measures to check in with that class to see what's working and what isn't to try and improve.

Don't get me wrong, we have some very supportive deans and faculty who really, really care about students. But, there seems to be a disconnect between the students and those making the policies that affect them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hey everyone! I'm posting the following on behalf of a friend who is currently a medical student here. It's simply a different perspective on some topics discussed in this thread

- Pre-clinical grades may not matter a whole heck of a lot, but class rank does. If you do not comply with the 70% attendance requirement, you are ineligible for honors and your class rank will suffer.
- The 70% attendance requirement coupled with the incredibly poor scheduling of classes certainly can feel oppressive. Most days, we are on campus from 8am-4pm. Sure, there's a 2 hour lunch break, but that's not enough time to actually sit down and power through material. So, 4-5 days a week, you're only getting a few hours of studying in versus med students at other schools who have most of the day every day.
- The over scheduling of students has affected the morale of our class. We don't have as much time take care of ourselves (focus on "wellness") as we should, because we sit in lecture all day then try and actually learn the material all evening.
- The M1 class lost 7 (!!) students after the first semester. That's an abnormally high percentage and as far as I know, the administration has not taken any measures to check in with that class to see what's working and what isn't to try and improve.

Don't get me wrong, we have some very supportive deans and faculty who really, really care about students. But, there seems to be a disconnect between the students and those making the policies that affect them.
Thank you for this post. It is great to hear the story from another perspective. In addition to the mandatory attendance and 8-4 class, I am also worried about the fact that with the added mandatory research and community involvement components, there would literally be no time left to take care of ourselves or even study the material sufficiently in preparation for exams and step 1. Any other current student feedback's welcome :)

Hi everyone. Here are some more comments from friends who are medical students here to provide additional perspectives on the school.

Our school definitely encourages participation in the community experience of medical school. We treat each other like a family, and that feel comes in part from attending classes, to some degree. And if you anticipate that you are interested in a medical school experience that is largely self-directed, and would prefer to learn the material independently via pre-recorded lecture, this school is not a great fit for you.

That being said, there are times/courses that people prioritize learning at home vs. from class, and for those times, you do sacrifice the opportunity to earn an "honors" grade for the course, as that grade in part recognizes participation in class and the school community.

In my personal opinion, I found a 2-hour lunch break prime opportunity to work out (something I probably wouldn't have done otherwise), prepare for afternoon lectures, or review the morning lectures.

I'm unsure of the circumstances of the 7 departures from the m1 class; I would love to hear more about how their journeys led them away from medical school. But assuming that those decisions were for the best for them independently, I support them wholeheartedly.

Note regarding grades: for m1/2 years, yes [H/P/F]. m3/4 is different (and arguably more important)!

Regarding the class ranking system:

Ranking is something that unfortunately is required of all residency applicants. Each residency program can choose how they value class rank in their decision-making process, and in no way is obligated to share that algorithm with potential applicants. There is a document provided by the NRMP that surveys program directors in each specialty to talk about what they care about, but this data is aggregated, not school-specific (google "nrmp program director survey 2016"). So each school does this differently, with numeric ranking being the most "extreme" end of that spectrum.

OUWB is on the other end, where we only rank people into quartiles. Very minimal. I have never witnessed a student deliberately sabotaging another for the sake of quartile ranking. I would recommend again, that if that is how you anticipate going forward in medicine, this school will not be a good fit for you. Additionally, you may find that this attitude brings about trouble for you in your professional career.

Conversely, I frequently see students spending hours after class tutoring younger students struggling with material, the transition to med school, etc. I see constant reminders of why I joined this community. I choose to believe this describes the vast majority of each class, because I have spent time with many of these students over the past four years here.