2016-2017 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone have any advice for the interview? Thanks!

Besides the obvious (familiarize yourself with MMI, practice expressing yourself succinctly, etc.) - stay hydrated! You'll be talking quite a bit so it's easy to get parched. I made the mistake of not filling up my water bottle for another school's MMI and by the end of my circuit I was incredibly thirsty :( Other than that, just be yourself and don't panic! The interviewers are all part of the NYMC community and I got the sense that they were genuinely interested in finding people who would be a good fit for NYMC SOM, which definitely helped calm me down a bit. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Besides the obvious (familiarize yourself with MMI, practice expressing yourself succinctly, etc.) - stay hydrated! You'll be talking quite a bit so it's easy to get parched. I made the mistake of not filling up my water bottle for another school's MMI and by the end of my circuit I was incredibly thirsty :( Other than that, just be yourself and don't panic! The interviewers are all part of the NYMC community and I got the sense that they were genuinely interested in finding people who would be a good fit for NYMC SOM, which definitely helped calm me down a bit. Good luck!

Thank you :) these small things really do make a difference! During one of my interviews I felt like I didn't do as well as I could have just because I was hungry by the time the interview portion started. Next time I brought a protein bar :)

Does NYMC accept letter of interest/updates? If so, what method? Thanks in advance.

They accept them by email at MDADMIT@nymc. I'm not sure how much weight they will carry but if you have something significant to update with you should send it along. Letters of interest/intent pre-interview are worthless except in very specific circumstances, and an update letter that's concise and relevant would serve the same intended purpose.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Should we estimate 6-8 weeks to hear back post-interview, even at this point in the cycle?

Just offered an interview for 4/3

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats!! When were you complete?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So early, the first week I could have possible been. Don't remember the date but I submitted my primary first day it opened and secondary as soon as I got it.

Reactions: 1 users
Does this school give out any kind of substantial aid? The only way I would really go here over my other choices is if it was cheaper

Thanks for the tip. The email gave a good break down of the type of questions, but one thing I am wondering is if there will be acting stations and non-scenario based question ( mostly used for one-on-one interviews)..? I haven't had acting ones before.

I am wondering is if there will be acting stations and non-scenario based question ( mostly used for one-on-one interviews)..? I haven't had acting ones before.

They may ask you to "act" at one station but that's if you get through enough of that particular station's questions to get to the acting question. At that point, you may only have about 30 to 90 seconds of "acting." I doubt it would have any impact on your interview unless you started shouting at the interviewer or were condescending.

Just offered an interview for 4/3

Congrats! You give me hope! I've been complete since July and have never been put on hold, just sitting in silence!

They may ask you to "act" at one station but that's if you get through enough of that particular station's questions to get to the acting question. At that point, you may only have about 30 to 90 seconds of "acting." I doubt it would have any impact on your interview unless you started shouting at the interviewer or were condescending.
I see thank you, so does not include the 6 min acting station?

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone receive confirmation to your response to the interview reminder? if that makes any sense haha

I see thank you, so does not include the 6 min acting station?

It is possible they may have a dedicated acting station for you. The school puts an emphasis on communication. If they did have a 6 minute acting station, I would guess it would be a communications type station. Same thing as before, just ask questions, don't interrupt or sound condescending and you would probably be fine.

I have heard that some schools have a belligerent patient acting station (Albany?), but I don't think NYMC would ever have something like that (i.e. where you might have to do some MMA to defend yourself/protect others:laugh:).

It is possible they may have a dedicated acting station for you. The school puts an emphasis on communication. If they did have a 6 minute acting station, I would guess it would be a communications type station. Same thing as before, just ask questions, don't interrupt or sound condescending and you would probably be fine.

I have heard that some schools have a belligerent patient acting station (Albany?), but I don't think NYMC would ever have something like that (i.e. where you might have to do some MMA to defend yourself/protect others:laugh:).

Totally agree. I've done 3 MMIs now and NYMC was definitely the most comfortable. You really just feel like you're discussing the scenarios with an interested stranger, no tricks!

Reactions: 2 users

Totally agree. I've done 3 MMIs now and NYMC was definitely the most comfortable. You really just feel like you're discussing the scenarios with an interested stranger, no tricks!

Thank you, that was helpful. It is just good to have an expectation of what is coming.

Has anyone received any instructions on financial aid?

Thank you :) these small things really do make a difference! During one of my interviews I felt like I didn't do as well as I could have just because I was hungry by the time the interview portion started. Next time I brought a protein bar :)
Do they give you water bottles for the MMI?

Interviewed 2/28 but no word yet. Waiting for the next batch of decisions. :nailbiting:

Raise your hand if you almost s**t yourself from the survey email.

Raise your hand if you almost s**t yourself from the survey email.
Even though it was mentioned in this thread, and I was expecting to get it... still terrifying to see the notification show up on my phone.

Based on my obsessive due diligence and the previous acceptances on this thread (once a month between the 19-21st), those of us who interviewed in early feb should get a decision in the next few days...

Based on my obsessive due diligence and the previous acceptances on this thread (once a month between the 19-21st), those of us who interviewed in early feb should get a decision in the next few days...

I got my acceptance Tuesday 02/21 soo hoping you guys hear back tomorrow! Good luck!!

I truly hope your predictive powers are better than mine!

Just received interview confirmation email for 3/28 interview, email reply required.

Hey all, just wanted to give a friendly reminder that NYMC requires you to sign an NDA about the MMI's. So please be careful when discussing MMI topics.

Just remember; whats the first rule of Fight Club?

For alternate list or regular consideration?

NYMC clearly states that they interview for empty spots in the class and never for waitlist spots initially, so no matter when you interview you are being considered for a regular seat in the class. (This statement was made on interview day)

Stgt9202 is spot on. Although nobody will ever know exactly what goes on behind closed doors, if you're interviewing there is a seat for you. There's no reason to interview someone they wouldn't potentially accept, it's very expensive and there's enough well-qualified applicants not to need anything more elaborate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I was put on hold November 9th so I'm wondering if they're going in order. So far I've seen people come off hold in October. Does anyone know if any November holds have been contacted yet?

I was put on hold November 9th so I'm wondering if they're going in order. So far I've seen people come off hold in October. Does anyone know if any November holds have been contacted yet?

I doubt they're going in order--I was put on hold in August and haven't heard from them yet.

Just called to try and gauge when we might hear - was told that they could call us for an invitation up until the day before the interview day.

I stupidly did not ask what the date of the last interview is. Does anyone know? I have heard there are 9 days left and that they will conclude beginning of April but that's it.