2016-2017 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Basically a copy and paste from my post in last year's thread:

I recently completed MS2 and am currently preparing for Step 1. Feel free to ask me any questions. Please PM me, I do not check this forum. Feel free to pass the info along as needed. So far, I have loved it here. It has been a wonderful experience in all settings social and academic but it really is what you make it. The school is very OOS friendly. Do keep in mind that we regularly receive over 13,000 applications for roughly 1,000 interviews (not sure what kind of acceptance #s they have though). I'm not trying to be discouraging--just giving you the statistics that I've heard--you'll learn that the idea of a "safety" school is kind of silly when applying to med school. Check our match list to see where we place our grads (do this for any school you are interested in) and try to figure out what Step 1 averages are (not actually sure, I just know we are consistently above the national average). We place an insane amount of grads into diagnostic rads if you had any interest. Only bit of advice I can give for those applying: stay off the forum as much as possible, it is a cesspool for desperation. Come here if you have a legitimate question or update, but trying to speculate and predict what the AdCom is doing will ruin your mental state. Seriously, go outside, go to the gym, go on a first date. Go do anything besides hang out here and panic--you will be much happier at the end of the application cycle regardless of an acceptance. I'll step off the soap box now.

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know how strict NYMC is with their letters of evaluation? My major was inter-disciplinary (PH) but none of my three letters of rec from professors are from that department. Both of my science ones (Bio) were counted towards my major, though. Does that count? Would rather not waste the money otherwise. I tried emailing them but they never responded.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how strict NYMC is with their letters of evaluation? My major was inter-disciplinary (PH) but none of my three letters of rec from professors are from that department. Both of my science ones (Bio) were counted towards my major, though. Does that count? Would rather not waste the money otherwise. I tried emailing them but they never responded.

Try calling them. I know they have made exceptions for non-trad students who could not meet the LOR requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My understanding is that NYMC does not have essays on their secondary, just check boxes and spaces for you to elaborate about each of your LOE's.

Can anyone confirm/correct this assertion?

Thanks!

Anyone have an info on how the student atmosphere and opportunities are in NYMC? It isn't a true P/F unranked, and receives a lot of applications. Is it worth it?

Secondary received and submitted. Easiest secondary to date!

I still don't have this secondary for those who are also reading this thread and think they're the only one who didn't get it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On their website it says all applicants receive a secondary upon submission of their primary. So I don't think so!

Thank you,

Can anyone comment on this whole CASPer thing? Is it hard, do we really have to do a prep course for it? Or is it just the type of thing you sit down and bust through.

Thank you,

Can anyone comment on this whole CASPer thing? Is it hard, do we really have to do a prep course for it? Or is it just the type of thing you sit down and bust through.

I am curious about this as well. Has anyone taken it yet? From what I read it evaluates your personality. Not exactly something you can prepare for?

I am curious about this as well. Has anyone taken it yet? From what I read it evaluates your personality. Not exactly something you can prepare for?

From what I've heard it's not something you can explicitly study material for but rather go over ethics and do practice questions even though there's not many available

I just tried the example questions before taking it. I didn't feel like I did especially well on it, but its pretty tough to fully process a situation or to think of a time in your life when you had to make X decision, especially with only 5 minutes to answer 3 questions.

Hi Everyone!

For the "Undergraduate School Letter of Evaluation" I have a committee letter from my pre-medical office; however, my advisor also included a packet of letters that includes four individual letters. Should I still put my university name in the appropriate box for the committee letter or fill out the individual letters of recommendation?

Hi Everyone!

For the "Undergraduate School Letter of Evaluation" I have a committee letter from my pre-medical office; however, my advisor also included a packet of letters that includes four individual letters. Should I still put my university name in the appropriate box for the committee letter or fill out the individual letters of recommendation?

You have a committee letter. Even with a separate pack of letters, you have a committee letter. That applies to every school you ever apply to!

sooo if I don't have a non-science undergraduate LOR, my application won't be considered? I'm a nontraditional student and haven't taken a non-science course in many, many years.

My undergrad is on the quarter system. For this and in secondaries general, are we supposed to input semester converted hours or quarter system hours? Also, how are people dealing with a letter writer with whom you've taken multiple classes with? What if the course and department titles on our official transcript and school catalog are slightly off?

Secondary received. Anyone have any data on new mcat scores accepted? I'm on the lower side but have strong connections to New York and would love to go here, want to see if it's worth me paying the $120

Secondary received. Anyone have any data on new mcat scores accepted? I'm on the lower side but have strong connections to New York and would love to go here, want to see if it's worth me paying the $120
10% MCAT - 491
90% MCAT - 514

Secondary received! I'm wondering if my LOR from my lab's PI could count as the one from my undergrad major? I did research under the same department as my major, but I'm unsure if that's acceptable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 5.29.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 5.29.26 PM.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 312
It is listed as the following:
10th percentile: 27
90th percentile: 35

I got excited with the 491 at the 10th percentile haha. This makes more sense. Data is from MSAR.

Reactions: 1 user
sooo if I don't have a non-science undergraduate LOR, my application won't be considered? I'm a nontraditional student and haven't taken a non-science course in many, many years.

I'm in the same boat as you. Actually, my boat is worse. I graduated in 2008 and did an MBA the next year. NYMC's policy calls for a letter from a graduate professor if you have a graduate degree. So I'm missing both that and a non-science undergrad letter.

I emailed the school to ask. Hoping for good news; this is one of the few MD schools I thought I had a shot at.

I'm in the same boat as you. Actually, my boat is worse. I graduated in 2008 and did an MBA the next year. NYMC's policy calls for a letter from a graduate professor if you have a graduate degree. So I'm missing both that and a non-science undergrad letter.

I emailed the school to ask. Hoping for good news; this is one of the few MD schools I thought I had a shot at.
Oh wow. I hope it works out for you! That is quite the resume you have!

I have to retake CASPer...great. As if last year's fiasco wasn't enough. Also can't see where the $120 is going since the portal is now officially the most outdated one from any medical school since Drexel upgraded for this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't look like it, and CASPer doesn't let you resend results from last year.

10% MCAT - 491
90% MCAT - 514
No this is average MCAT of people who applied. It says on MSAR this is not the metrics of students that were admitted.

Edit: sorry didn't see this was answered already.

I still don't have this secondary for those who are also reading this thread and think they're the only one who didn't get it.
#COOLKIDSCLUB *sigh*

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone find on the website where they list LOR requirements? I don't have a non-science faculty letter and I didn't even know that was required...

Let me know what they say! I was thinking about calling them on Monday.

Did everyone get a secondary because I'm still waiting on mine...

Reactions: 3 users
Well shoot...should I even bother submitting my secondary then? I have two science faculty, a doctor from work, and community service
You should call/email them and ask. Do you have a good explanation for why? I am a non-trad so I think I have a good excuse for not having a non-science letter since I last had a non-science class seven years ago. I'm waiting on their answer.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Just finished up taking the CASPer. So many technical issues, I ended up getting kicked off the site and when I returned, it had me start a new exam. However, after closing the browser and re-opening, I found that the original exam was paused and could be resumed. I hope the answers to the first half of the test remained.. what a nightmare!